View Full Version : Do you still periodically feel happy and laugh when you have clinical depression?

Simfish
06-06-06, 03:13 AM
I'm just wondering... I have some symptoms of depression, (and some people suspect that I have it) but I haven't really thought of it until now. I don't exactly feel hopeless yet, though i have become nihilistic...

QueensU_girl
06-06-06, 09:29 AM
Yes.
That happens with Atypical Depression. ("Mood Reactivity")

Crazy~Feet
06-06-06, 05:11 PM
I was diagnosed and treated for depression before ADD, and I would have to say yes, even before taking antidepressents I would have moments where I would laugh and be happy. I cannot tell you whether that was due to my uninhibited hilarious sense of humor due to untreated ADD though. I am treating both now and stil retain the ability to get depressed for the "normal" reasons, like when tragedy occurs or whatever.

kvrrd
06-06-06, 05:41 PM
Bad moods, manic rage, sure it's almost expected and certainly reasonable to behave this way on occassion. But when you cry because everything is awful and other's look at you and say "huh? great marriage, kids, job, money, health, good looks? -what's YOUR problem?"
I don't know. Ya think it might be DEPRESSION?
I was treated for depression, then added bipolar II, then ADD. ADD was at the root of a lot of the depression.
And the mania, well, it rears it's ugly head sometimes, but so does intense inspiration, revelations and creativeness.

Doug!as
06-29-06, 01:22 AM
I'm just wondering... I have some symptoms of depression, (and some people suspect that I have it) but I haven't really thought of it until now. I don't exactly feel hopeless yet, though i have become nihilistic...

Well, I have depression and I laugh all the time. During the blackest moods it is hard to laugh because we feel overwhelmed by intense sadness, but when the mood abates and the depression is like a pair of poorly pulled on socks (or am I the only one who suffers from hypersensitivity? ;)) - always in the background reminding you it's there - it is quite normal to still be able to laugh. Look at depression as a radio left on. Sometimes it is hard to tune out because it is all you can hear, but other times it lowers in volume a bit allowing us to have more normal reactions to situations.

That's how I look at it anyway.

~boots~
06-29-06, 03:02 AM
My best friend used to take anti-depressants...and she often thought I was depressed too...I used to say "NO, I am not depressed" as I think you would know if you were..anyway..

I later (years later) discovered I had ADHD, and low and behold...she has it too! I convinced her to get assessed and she no longer takes the anti-depressants!!

now..what was my point???:faint:

some people obviously assume you are depressed, when you have ADD for some reason???
It was the first question my Dr asked.."are you depressed???can you laugh?" :eek:

Scattered
06-29-06, 01:33 PM
I think that happens more with ADHD depression. MDD is less likely to be something you can shake off often for a good laugh. ADD depression on the the other hand is very situation reactive -- that is one of the thing they look at when determining whether it is depression or ADD in play since some of the other symptoms are pretty similar.

Scattered