View Full Version : Trying to Get Out but Can't

bambo28
06-08-06, 08:46 AM
My daughter is writing letters and numbers backwards. I am trying to get out but can't. I would love to go to school but it is the fear of people making fun of me from being to slow and I don't know anything past basic math, reading, ext. I would never be able to pay attention and never be able to comprehend anything. I would get so frustrated at reading and writing, want to sream. I still am that way somewhat. Never got past a 4th or 5th grade math level. No pre-alebra and so on. I am so tired of all this. Just wish that I got the help I needed rather then just give up on me. I have a hard time with copping. It is to late for me cause I would have to start from the bottem and go up. I still can't read and write that good, just get so frustrated. I can't let my daughter go throw that. I can't. I did, it is hard. Math I was good at and dont' understand why I never advanced in that. The answers just came out. Reading, writing, social studies, english, sicence and I think I coverd all of them, was so hard for me. For me to now that I graduated high school at a 4th or 5th grade level (don't know realy whitch one it was, but it was low), makes me sick to think about and so dam depressed. Some days is harder then others to think about that. I cry cause I think I am stupid, dum and so one. Oh I am so ooooooooo. Why didn't they help me, Why didn't I get other help, Why did they give up on me? Oh I am so frustrated just from writing this. I am done for now. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO FOR ME NOW AND MY DAUGHTER? Thank you for your time.

ADDELINE
06-09-06, 03:11 AM
Dear Bambo...

You are very brave to share your feelings here when the only way you can is in writing, the thing you dislike most! I bet just getting yourself to post was a struggle, because you have such a bad image of yourself...An 'undeserved' bad image for sure!!!You are alot more capable than you know Bambo. I'm sure there are things that you enjoy doing and are excellent at.

Going to school w/ your little one might add to the stress and cause more anxiety for both of you. I suggest that you do with your daughter the things at which you excell and feel comfortable doing, and ask her teacher about getting her a tutor. Sometimes the top 8th & 9th graders tutor younger children for credit or a little $$$. This way your daughter gets the help you and I didn't recieve, and you don't have the pressure of having to familiarize yourself with subjects that you have probably forgotten!

If I had to go back to the classroom I would be a nervous wreck! I was a terrible student and am just recently diagnosed. and...I am really OLD Bambie! Twice your age probably! So yeah I do understand how cheated you feel. I feel the same way. What I have done to try to help myself is to learn to love to read, and I have self-educated myself over many years through books. I hate rote memorizing like we had to do in history class. So instead of studying all the battles of ...say...the Civil War, I read Pres. Lincoln's Biography and escape into the story and time. I Learned Abe Lincoln struggled with severe Depression and was often suicidal. So much so that his aid would stay by his side from morning to night and then go through Lincoln's pockets and search the presidential bedroom before he left him for the night to take away knives and weapons. Oh, and Mrs. Lincoln was a 'shrew'. Plus I learned the history of the Civil War in a entertaining way!

I read any biography of historical figures I come across and I end up learning from it because it's told to me in a story. My advice would be to increase your reading a bit at a time and you will soak up alot of the knowledge you missed out on too. Before long you will start feeling more confident and 'worldly! (Not to say that you will never have and bad day's, b/c I do have down times frequently myself. That is when i REaD a good book and immerse myself into another time and place.)

As far as Math goes...Forget abnout it...That's why *** made calculators!

Bambo, You are a good mother because you want your daughter to have advntages you did not. If you see that she recieves the needed extra help/tutoring, etc; you have done your job. Don't feel bad that you aren't the one tutoring her; The two of you can do many things together. Teach her to cook, do crafts together, give her sewing or knitting lessons, and on and on. You will teach her many things before she is grown.

Lastly...don't be so hard on yourself Bambo.

Sincerely; Addline

dormammau2008
06-09-06, 08:15 PM
yes dont be so hard on yourself bambo have faith dorm

bambo28
06-13-06, 11:25 AM
Dear Bambo...

You are very brave to share your feelings here when the only way you can is in writing, the thing you dislike most! I bet just getting yourself to post was a struggle, because you have such a bad image of yourself...An 'undeserved' bad image for sure!!!You are alot more capable than you know Bambo. I'm sure there are things that you enjoy doing and are excellent at.

Going to school w/ your little one might add to the stress and cause more anxiety for both of you. I suggest that you do with your daughter the things at which you excell and feel comfortable doing, and ask her teacher about getting her a tutor. Sometimes the top 8th & 9th graders tutor younger children for credit or a little $$$. This way your daughter gets the help you and I didn't recieve, and you don't have the pressure of having to familiarize yourself with subjects that you have probably forgotten!

If I had to go back to the classroom I would be a nervous wreck! I was a terrible student and am just recently diagnosed. and...I am really OLD Bambie! Twice your age probably! So yeah I do understand how cheated you feel. I feel the same way. What I have done to try to help myself is to learn to love to read, and I have self-educated myself over many years through books. I hate rote memorizing like we had to do in history class. So instead of studying all the battles of ...say...the Civil War, I read Pres. Lincoln's Biography and escape into the story and time. I Learned Abe Lincoln struggled with severe Depression and was often suicidal. So much so that his aid would stay by his side from morning to night and then go through Lincoln's pockets and search the presidential bedroom before he left him for the night to take away knives and weapons. Oh, and Mrs. Lincoln was a 'shrew'. Plus I learned the history of the Civil War in a entertaining way!

I read any biography of historical figures I come across and I end up learning from it because it's told to me in a story. My advice would be to increase your reading a bit at a time and you will soak up alot of the knowledge you missed out on too. Before long you will start feeling more confident and 'worldly! (Not to say that you will never have and bad day's, b/c I do have down times frequently myself. That is when i REaD a good book and immerse myself into another time and place.)

As far as Math goes...Forget abnout it...That's why *** made calculators!

Bambo, You are a good mother because you want your daughter to have advntages you did not. If you see that she recieves the needed extra help/tutoring, etc; you have done your job. Don't feel bad that you aren't the one tutoring her; The two of you can do many things together. Teach her to cook, do crafts together, give her sewing or knitting lessons, and on and on. You will teach her many things before she is grown.

Lastly...don't be so hard on yourself Bambo.

Sincerely; Addline
Addiline,
I was going throw a down day. Women will understand this THE PMS. Well they are getting more intensifide and went to the doc about it. When I started the Zoloft 25mg once a day I am much better. Even with social phobia and I can consentrate and focus. My point is I think that is what I need. Her dad just told me yesterday that she is just LAZY. Oh no, but I kept my cool cause I didn't want to get mad and couldn't. I think it was the Zoloft and xanax. I would have had a bad panic attack if it wasn't for those. But he was yelling and getting mad that I was saying that she may need to get evaluated for ADD or ADHD. I still don't understand the difference in them. Well thank you all.

ADDELINE
06-22-06, 11:30 PM
Just do what is best for your child...like you wish had been done for you when you were a child. Sweeping it under the rug will help no one. Make the Appt & have her evaluated b/c it's the right thing to do. I have ADD the in-attentive type. my Mind goes 100 miles a min and I can't concentrate. Clumsy and no motivation. I am not physically hyper-active, moving around all of the time.

Good Luck; Addeline

QueensU_girl
11-15-06, 10:31 PM
Writing letters or numbers backwards is a variant of "normal" in young children.

It has to do with the sides of the brain growing and integrating vision signals. (Laterality.)

I had a Grade 2 teacher that used to mark my answers (right letter; but flipped) as "wrong", but the school counsellor said it was wrong to punish a growing child if the answer is technically "correct".

It is called "Mirror Vision".

meadd823
11-24-06, 03:18 AM
Sounds strange but yea if you have not compensated for your LD then it will be hard to assist your daughter in doing so. . . it may not mean a hill of beans right now but you are by no means the only one who struggles with written expression. . . many of us here do.

Has your daughter been tested for LD? That would be the first step however they may make you wait until she is about 8 years old. I was in the third grade when I first got tested, so were both daughters.

One of my three daughters also has dyslexia. Luckily she has the same kind I do and I was able to show her how I learned. . . but I had already compensated and was able to show her how. If you have never been tested and do not know where the problem places are then you had no way of knowing what areas to circumvent. . . testing also helps determine strong areas that can be used to compensate. .

.I wish I could give an answer as to why you weren't helped. . . my hyperactivity probably went a long way to getting me noticed. . . I was tested initially because they felt I was retarded because they thought I couldn’t read and had a mother who felt they were very wrong and set out to prove them wrong by having me tested. . . it was the testing that illuminated my strengths and she played into those and this is how I learned . . . I did the same for my daughter.

I think you are a wonderful parent for wanting to spare your daughter the same pain you went through. . . .dyslexia even compensated for dyslexia can be a major pain in the tush!!!! It gets on my nerves more than my ADHD!