View Full Version : Acoustic Guitar Vs. Electric Guitar

ADHDDeeJay
06-11-06, 07:24 AM
There seems to be a lot of rock fans here so maybe I'll be able to get some opinions...

Looking to learn the guitar, and was originally thinking about getting an acoustic guitar like the Taylor Baby. I LOVE the sound of acoustic. Electric guitars are interesting though because their MIDI capabilities might come in handy, and they seem a bit cheaper and I hear they are easier to learn.

Hoping to get more suggestions on good guitars, and the pros and cons between acoustic and electric.

Thanks!!

Imnapl
06-11-06, 04:36 PM
Both of my kids started with electric guitars (my son learned the bass first) and then took up acoustic guitar. They each play whatever suits the music.

chloe516
06-11-06, 05:42 PM
I had an electric guitar, but that was when I was 10 or 11 and just fiddled around with it, not really playing it.

I learned to play an acoustic guitar, a bit.

I love the sound of an acousic guitar, but then there are times when an electric is a better fit for the song.

Start with what you want to learn, you can then always get the other and switch back and forth depending on the song! ;) :D

livinginchaos
06-12-06, 11:47 PM
I have an acoustic. I picked acoustic because I like the sound of it better than electric. Plus, I lived in a dorm when I got it, and now an apartment building w/ thin walls.

It's a tough decision. Which one would you play more? (that's the one you should pick!)

Courtney

ADHDDeeJay
06-13-06, 11:54 AM
Looks like I'm gonna have to get both :P

boone1
06-13-06, 01:01 PM
I have both, maybe you should get an acoustic-electric guitar?
i know i want one!

That way you can have both acoustic and electric whenever you feel like switching between them. :D

Iwalani8
06-13-06, 09:03 PM
when i started playing guitar at age 13, i had only an electric for about 2 years, then i got an acoustic. i still LOVE my acoustic. there is something more satisfying about playing it. however, there's something satisfying about distortion and wah pedals as well....

depends on what kind of music you want to play. my tastes are everywhere so both is good.

but i think the best call would be to get an acoustic-electric, as mentioned earlier!!

such good sound...

ADHDDeeJay
06-15-06, 12:18 AM
hmm, would there be any distortion from the box if you use an acoustic-electric???

AJB187
07-15-06, 06:33 PM
I guess I'd have to say I prefer my Fender American Double Fat Stratocaster over an acoustic anyday. I'm into progressive types of music and shredding so the choice is easy for me.

JimiS
07-16-06, 12:49 AM
Check out the line 6 Variax.. The best of almost all worlds

Ichpuchtli
07-16-06, 03:32 AM
Well depends on what your getting cause the standard electric and acostic both have 6 strings. I would get the AC instead of electric becausde you can take it around and play it anywhere plus you don't need an amp. ******(brand name) that is what you should go for in electric. I have a Fender also one nice bass and acoustic.

*~ žEEK ~*
07-16-06, 05:48 AM
I have 8 Gtrs. LOL :D

If you go electric then plan on buying an Amp, or at least some sort of personal headphone system so you can get those cool electric Gtr sounds, otherwise an electric is pretty useless. An electric "is" much easier to learn on, but an acoustic will build up your fingers and callus on your finger tips.

If you aren't going to be playing in a band, both the electric with a headphone amp and the acoustic are pretty equal portability-wise. But as soon as you add a "real" Amp then the acoustic wins the portability contest.

Good luck and have fun! :) :)

RWS Films
07-26-06, 09:05 AM
I play guitar and bass... I would recommend starting on electric as it's easier on your fingers for a newbie... Don't let MIDI affect your decision... a regular electric would not feed directly into any MIDI program. They do have MIDI-electrics (I've played one and it's awesome) but they also have MIDI pickups that can be installed on an acoustic.

Since you're a DJ I'm assuming you'll also be using guitar in production projects also. Electric will allow you to record much easier into the computer for manipulation.

ricksan
07-26-06, 09:38 AM
I have an electric and an acoustic, can't play either one of them. Still struggling to figure it out. I'll change it up and play which ever one I feel like.

ADHDDeeJay
08-13-06, 10:26 PM
wow, thanks for all the replies! pretty amazing that some of the answers I get here are on par or more informative than dedicated music forums. :D.

Anyways, the guitar will have to wait... I'm gonna spend the money on a new keyboard... M-Audio Axiom-49 is at the top of my list right now.

WonderLand
10-30-06, 05:57 PM
I play guitar -- I have an acoustic and an Electric. I started on an Acoustic, and I persoanally love acoustics head over heals compared to electrics. Music is really an art, and so it depends on what sound you like. If your really into rock and tabing then an electric might be your thing. If your into finger picking chords sing along then acoustic would probably be better...Its all on u lol. OOOh but u now ur getting a keyboard!! Funs tuff. enjoy
~Wonderland