View Full Version : Adderall and Fluoxetine

Jkober5
06-12-06, 03:03 AM
I have been taking 80 mg of Fluoxetine daily since January. Recently 70 mgs of Adderall was introduced into the mix. I was on Adderall years ago but nothing else.

I have read there is a risk with the Adderall and Fluoxetine combo.
Is this true? It's been over a month and I feel fine but am worried now.
Any info would be great.

lovemytiel
06-12-06, 05:42 AM
I have never heard of any risk. I take 40 mg of fluoxetine and 10 mg of adderall 3 times a day.

In fact in a book I am reading about women with ADHD talks about how this class of antidepressants can be helpful.

adhdxyz
06-12-06, 08:47 PM
I take 20 mg Adderall XR in the morning and 10 mg Adderall Instant Release in the afternoon every day. In addition, my doctor prescribed Fluoxetine (generic Prozac) 20 mg capsules to take as needed. I usually take one per day during my PMS week(s).

I used to take Clorazepate but that was prescribed by my gynecologist for stress/pms. When I started taking Adderall, my new doctor said that the Clorazepate was like taking a horse tranquilizer. (Hmmm....I always liked taking it during pms but sometimes couldnt function at work without feeling like I was dopey and drooling.)

Anyway, since changing to Fluoxetine, everything is OK. I can take it and still function at home and work. It just takes the edge off.

I have been real stressed out lately cause I think I may be headed toward the menopause path (44 yrs old) and my pms week is turning into pms weeks. Oh well....This too shall pass. (Atleast I keep telling myself that.)

lovemytiel
06-12-06, 09:40 PM
Yeah I take the fluoxetine for PMDD. I agree about it taking the edge off. I am just horrible around my cycle without it!

Jkober5
06-12-06, 09:46 PM
So you take flouxetine with Adderall every day and are okay?

adhdxyz
06-13-06, 08:57 AM
I don't take it "everyday". I would if I could though.

With me being adhd, my husband being add, my 13 year old son being adhd and my 15 year old daughter showing signs of adhd but not yet medicated PLUS me working full time in the Systems field, plus having 4 dogs and a cat, plus my house being a mess, and the bills not being paid, and the cars needing oil changes, and fathers day coming up, and me PMS'ing, and going through perimenapause.....YES, I DEFINITELY WOULD LOVE TO TAKE IT EVERY DAY, but I don't. I try to only take it during my pms week but that seems to be getting longer and longer.

(Sorry....as you can tell....I'm PMSing.)

I have not had any problems with Adderall and Fluoxetine. :)

superstressed
11-07-09, 12:03 PM
I take 30 mg Adderall IR 2x's a day and 40 mg Prozac (Fluoxetine) once a day with no problems. Sometimes I have to open the Fluoxetine capsule and take the meds because the pill sometimes gets stuck in my throat and makes me nauseous. Other than that, no problems at all.

liquidmetal
12-13-09, 07:02 PM
Antidepressant blockers of 2D6 such as fluoxetine (Prozac), paroxetine (Paxil), will significantly block 2D6 over time and create accumulation of AMP with significant toxic implications.

http://wiki.medpedia.com/Dextroamphetamine_and_Amphetamine

This doesn't mean Prozac will increase the efficiency of Adderall, but increase blood levels over time until they potentially become toxic.
As you are also going to be taking a high dose Adderall, the risk of toxicity increases, I suggest you try Zoloft instead, as Zoloft doesn't significantly block 2D6.
Furthermore, Prozac also has no dopamine reuptake inhibition properties and therefore depletes dopamine to a greater extent than that of Zoloft, which is a mild dopamine reuptake inhibitor.

Drama_Queen546
11-06-15, 11:22 AM
I used to take Adderall anywhere from 20 mg to 30 mg along with 40 mg Prozac.. I became irritable but I think it was because I wasn't eating enough and I worked at Food Lion and only got a 10 min break and had to deal with pain in the *** customers so when I would come home I would snap at my family. I'm honestly thinking that is what causes it but at the time my mother was like "oh, its the Adderall you need to try something else", so anyway, that was about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago, make a long story short we are back at Adderall and I am about to switch from 100 mg sertraline to 40mg Prozac again because I don't think the Zoloft is helping and the Adderall makes me have anxiety and i don't remember having much anxiety while on the Adderall/Prozac combo. does anyone know if that could of caused irritability though? On Zoloft/Prozac I don't have irritability.. but I also am eating more often and have a desk job that is very calming and relaxing and I get an hour break. I'm just afraid of getting irritable again.. I'm stuck in what to do.. worst comes to worse ill just go back to Focalin and stay with Prozac.