View Full Version : trazodone

notmADD
06-12-06, 09:59 PM
Hey, my pdoc gave me trazadone to help me sleep. I read that it can cause weight gain and kill my labido. Anyone have experience with this drug?

dancergrl29
06-13-06, 06:17 AM
I've been taking trazodone(to help me sleep) for about 6 weeks now and I haven't had any problems at all. I, too, did some research about the drug before I started taking it and ended up finding more positive than negative. Everyone's different-some like it and some don't. Best way to find out is to try it. No problems here!

notmADD
06-13-06, 12:17 PM
Thanks dancergrl29. I always like to hear peoples personal experiences with meds...pdocs don't always tell ya everything.

PlainlyOrdinary
06-13-06, 07:46 PM
i have taken it off and on for years. the only side-effect that i ever experienced was occasionally waking up with "dry mouth."

QueensU_girl
06-13-06, 08:12 PM
Extremely sedating. Extremely anticholinergic (dry mouth; constipating). Made me worn out and depressed. Woke up with a longlasting dysphoric ("feeling terrible") sensation.

re: dry mouth. It is important to be careful of this side effect, as it can lead to increased plaque and tooth rot. Saliva protects our mouths from bacterial overgrowth by rinsing our mouths regularly.

Matt S.
06-14-06, 12:05 AM
I know if you are male and take it there are some embarassing yet potentially harmful side effects to that drug.

welsh321
07-03-06, 12:10 PM
My doc. had me take this to help me sleep. Can anyone tell me what dosage works for them. 25mg and I still woke up several times but was able to fall back asleep. 50mgs gave he really weird dreams. I am a little concerned that I might have more nightmares. 100mgs knocked me out. It took about 2 hours before I feel asleep. I was completely out of it and tired the whole next day. My doctor also gave me xanax(.25 or .50) as needed. I tried it for sleep...helps me get to sleep but not stay asleep. I have also tried Ambien, something that starts with an S like Sonoma (I cant remember the name) and melatonin. I have had sleeping issues for a very long time.
Thanks

Tyboulder
07-09-06, 05:55 PM
I've been tkaing trazodone for almost a year. A lot of those side effects described above have occured with me. I also take ambien, Sonata (occasionally), Lunesta (previously), valerian root, melatonin, unisom/benedryl, and benzodiazipines/tranquilizers. I cycle these drugs and try not to rely on anything too much, but I do love ambien. Anyway, Trazadone makes me extremely tired- like you've just run 50 miles and you just have to lay down and go to sleep. It won't make you sleep but will help you. I don't take it too ofter anymore because just 25mg will leave me in a fog (sometimes unshakable) the next day. I think if Trazodone is taken consistently this next-day fog may lighten or diappear because for a while I took it nightly. But recently it's been giving me bad hang overs. I haven't really noticed the dry mouth or depression, but the "fog" can take you out of it. To me it seems like fairly safe drug. I've mixed it with everything I've ever taken I believe. It's non-addictive. Maybe start at 12.5mg (a quarter pill for me) and go from there. Maybe try sticking to it every day for a bit? I think I remember someone saying that back when it was prescribed more commonly for depression people took 200mg. I can not imagine what that would have felt like.... :)

cyclops
08-14-06, 03:33 AM
Trazodone can cause weight gain.. it hasn't with me.

On the flipside, bad insomnia can actually cause you to gain weight (see http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/01/050111092501.htm if you're not familliar with it)... so it all balances out, I'd say.

texassweetpea
08-22-06, 02:33 AM
Years ago, I was prescribed trazadone to help me sleep while taking ritalin. It affected me so strongly at first I could only take 1/4 of a 100 mg tablet. It knocked me out cold. But a year ago, my psychiatrist prescribed it to me again for insomnia. She gave me 150 mg tabs and said take 1-2. Can you beleive it didn't even affect me?? It didn't work any better than a tylenol. What a weird change in effects. I ended up taking restoril (temazepam) which worked kinda. I ended up getting a 4mg dose of klonopin to take at bedtime. This just recently became ineffective too. I'm hitting up my psychiatrist tomorrow for some ambien CR. :p

Good luck with the trazadone or whatever you try.