View Full Version : Depression related to ADD...or not?

Joyous56
06-14-06, 10:00 PM
I know that there is a strong correlation between ADD/ADHD and depression....or more correctly stated, depression resulting from the difficulties with ADD/ADHD.

I'm wondering if I'm the only one who believes that their depression is separate, originating independant of ADD/ADHD....but exacerbated by the difficulties with ADD/ADHD.

My reason for asking is that I've been seeing a therapist who specializes in ADD/ADHD, and is very familiar with the coincidence of depression with this 'disorder'.

But as much as I want to address the ADD, I feel that right now I am more impaired by depression....and somehow I've got to resolve that, before I can effectively work on the ADD. To clarify...I'm not resistant to any of the tools or strategies for dealing with ADD...but right now, I'm feeling too hopeless to feel like any of those strategies would actually have a positive outcome.

Does anyone understand? I'm feeling pretty alone with this right now. I'm on depression meds that keep me up half the night (the half between 3:00 a.m and dawn), and I feel absolutely NO interest or motivation to do anything. (Yet, I do go to work and deal with the very basics of life). I would love to embrace the organizational stragegies that are suggested, but right now, getting up in the morning feels like a major accomplishment.

Thanks for not telling me to "stop whining and get off your ***"...because I'm telling myself that enough.

And...P.S.....trying not to drink.

QueensU_girl
06-18-06, 10:28 AM
Nope. It is related (i understand) to underacheivement and the problems we have, caused by the ADHD Symptoms.

It is actually called "Secondary Depression". Treat the ADHD and it improves some.

I think it is grieving, really.

We may be grieving the lost successes and opportunities that are caused by untreated ADHD.

Same with Anxiety Symptoms.

Disorganization and underacheivement and job woes (inattention, impulsivity, feeling 'overwhelmed' by mutually competeing demands/deadlines -- causes lots of those). This all can contribute to, or cause, mega-anxiety. (As can other reasons....)

Crazy~Feet
06-18-06, 10:39 AM
I'm wondering if I'm the only one who believes that their depression is separate, originating independant of ADD/ADHD....but exacerbated by the difficulties with ADD/ADHD.I believe my depression is the same Joyous, you are not alone in that.

But as much as I want to address the ADD, I feel that right now I am more impaired by depression....and somehow I've got to resolve that, before I can effectively work on the ADD. To clarify...I'm not resistant to any of the tools or strategies for dealing with ADD...but right now, I'm feeling too hopeless to feel like any of those strategies would actually have a positive outcome.I can report that I was the same. I was not going to address ANYTHING when I felt like I would rather just die than do anything at all.

Does anyone understand? I'm feeling pretty alone with this right now. I'm on depression meds that keep me up half the night (the half between 3:00 a.m and dawn), and I feel absolutely NO interest or motivation to do anything. (Yet, I do go to work and deal with the very basics of life). I would love to embrace the organizational stragegies that are suggested, but right now, getting up in the morning feels like a major accomplishment.I understand, and ya know what? Just getting up in the morning can be a major accomplishment! Gold star for you :).

lovemytiel
06-18-06, 11:10 AM
I originally went to my psychologist for severe depression. He tested for ADD..and i came out with the ADD diagnosis. The way he explained it to me is that if you have untreated ADD you will naturally try to overcompensate for your ADD. You can only do that so long before you crash and burn...like I did.

Depression sucks! I have dealt with it off and on my entire adult life. I am hoping that with ADD treatment, antidepressants, and therapy I can kick depression's booty! lol I have gotten better since starting treatment for ADD...but my prozac dosage was increased right before that time.

dormammau2008
06-21-06, 05:16 PM
good luck on trement dorm

chyhanna
06-21-06, 06:41 PM
Hey, I have depression and I know that it is because of my ADD, I never have been depressed until things started to speed up in my life and stress bilt up and ADD was kickin' in and etc.... My doctor asked the first time that I came for meds for ADD, he asked to put me on anti-depressants, my mom said no, (in denile) so 4 years later I was put on anti-depressants, now im doin' OK. But the thing is, that it seems that sometimes ADD is a bit too much for people especially perfectionist ADDers (Hollar!) You want everything to be perfect and it ends up that nothing ever goes the way that u want it and you end up angry about it then dissapointed that you didn't do it and then depressed, I don't know if it's just me or not, but I always feel that I could have done better....but then I'm too lazy to wanna try all the way, procrastination is a big part of it, All of these symptoms of ADD i believe, lead to depression, depending on the severety of the ADD or ADHD..... I hope some of this info. is helpful to someone.... I never have anyone to talk to about my ADD and I am very thankful for this sight and all of your input and help.......
thanks
cheyenne

Andi
06-21-06, 10:08 PM
I do know how you feel, Joy. Please talk to doc about your meds. I know it's difficult to consider but this may not be the med for you. You need your rest and without it life is just going to get worse.

Please remember that there are many places to go and people to talk to...at the forums and in life. No matter how much it's calling you, sweetie resist, resist, resist. We're here to help :)