View Full Version : Thinking about Relocating to Canada in 3 years..

JimiS
06-15-06, 11:58 PM
If anyone has experience with both living in Canada and the United States. I would be interested to hear about the pro and cons of living in Canada versus the United States..

Ian
06-16-06, 01:15 AM
A downside to living in Canada? Have you looked at a map of this country? It's really big. :D Depending on the region, the answer could vary.

We're reportedly a kinder gentler society. We often prefer leather and wool over synthetics. We are wizards at children's literature and the documentary format in film. Our health care is often the envy of others.

Most of the population hugs the south along the US border so that leaves a lot of good fishing and hunting to the north. It's more expensive to live here, with higher taxes generally I think and for the most part higher consumer goods costs too.

We have Quebec! They know about living large there. I can't wait to go back! In Quebec I think the stop signs are deemed a fascist plot or something because the majority seem to treat them with disdain. :P

I had an interesting call from my brother tonight. He's just spent his first year living in your fine country. He was all excited about what happened at the last game in the competition for our Lord Stanley's cup. (hockey)

I remember watching a game from the States shortly after Canada refused to go into Iraq with the US military before the UN approval and our anthem was booed roundly by the local crowd.

Last night in true Canadian spirit we sang your anthem loudly regardless of political or even gamesmanship differences. It was tremendously moving and then we sang our own anthem with enough gusto that after the first couple of lines, the singer just stopped and let the crowd rock the place with good orderly conduct of sportsmanship and fair play. Watch for it tomorrow night. I bet they repeat the whole scenerio.

My brother said that he had used this example of crowd support, to try and impress upon his peers in Seattle that those types of moments define for him the difference between the two countries.

I love the States for it's lack of red tape. I can travel almost anywhere in the US and find a Mum and Pop eatery with food like Mum cared about it! In Canada it's sometimes a lot more difficult to find life like this, especially west of Ontario, but it's getting better all the time.

That's enough rambling from me. I'm pretty sure this isn't quite what you were after, but it's a favourite topic of mine and I could not resist. < g > Please forgive me.
Cheers! Ian

JimiS
06-16-06, 01:54 AM
No Ian.. You have some good ramblings in there.. Its the overall feelings of the Canadian people that I am look for.. I can get a bunch of stats from the CIA website or a few sites from my school.. But I really need to know what the People think of their country..

I am basically looking for more personal freedom, the ability to keep the government from tapping my phones, reading my email, or ruining my kids lives by pushing violence, doom and gloom down their throats until they are as paranoid as the rest of us here in the USA...

I am a US Navy Veteran and fought hard to protect a country that has turn its back on its people.. A quote from Benjamin Franklin (I think) really hit me one day. "When the government fears the people, that is democracy, when the people fear the government, that is tyanny"

Can you guess how I feel about which one the USA is currently is in? I'll give you a hint.. Its not democracy..

~boots~
06-16-06, 02:05 AM
OK, great!! Now I want to move to Canada..thanks Ian:D

JimiS
06-16-06, 02:22 AM
I've been to Cairnes Austrailia.. In Queensland.. Pretty nice place there..

Ian
06-16-06, 11:09 AM
Jimi those remarks are pretty inflammatory. I'm not above making such broad statements, but I don't think this is the place. I'll address your comments here now, but if the moderators deem this to be too close to a breach of the guidelines, feel free to pm me and we can continue via email.

It will be important that this not become a political discussion if this is to remain a thread open to all.

Tracy, have no worries, I've had a few friends not come home after a visit down under. It's supposed to be a great place. I'd love to visit! I think our countries have a lot in common if your independant film industry output is any indication.

The sense of abandonment you are feeling might be misplaced Jimi. If you follow the writings and documentary film regarding Noam Chomsky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noam_Chomsky), you may begin to question the spin you've grown up with. The beauty of Chomsky's work is that it's so distilled, even I can grasp it. I find his writing to be a challenge, but film is where I find the most available information. It's just the way I learn best I think. Visuals! The most recent film I've seen that showed off his keen sense of history and his ability to quote verifiable sources, was a film by some Japanese film makers. The film "Power and Terror: Noam Chomsky in Our Times (http://www.powerandterror.com/)" is a terrific example of the stunning gap in what we see in our day to day lives in the media and how things transpire as recorded in the history books. Chomsky's knowledge of contemporary, particularly American history is refreshing to say the least.

We all have blind spots, Canadians included, but our traditions for questioning authority, especially the people in power is honed to a fine edge. Americans seem to confuse this ability with a lack of patriotism, or that's maybe only what I've been fed, I don't know, but here it's not like that. As a culture, critical thinking has been nurtured and thrives in some circles.

That said, I think we become more like the US every day in respect to an "us and them" type of view to the world. Fear plays a much bigger role in the ways of Americans than it does for Canadians, but like I say, that's changing.

Here are some links that help me keep a healthy bit of critical thinking going on.

The Current (http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/) on CBC Radio One, our national service, is an example of what free thinking is all about. Without this type of journalism our country might not be distinct from the US, IMO. I think they have podcasts now. The significance might not be immediately apparent, but it is an important example of what you seek.

Alte (http://www.alternet.org/story/32750/)[/url][url="http://www.alternet.org/story/32750/"]rNet (http://www.alternet.org/story/32750/) is a source I stumbled upon.

Rick Mercer (http://www.cbc.ca/mercerreport/backissues.php) is a comedian that often exploits the differences between us. I think he's a national treasure. :D
If you can't laugh at the Hand in the Pocket spoof (Week of March 14, 2006), you should stay home. < g > You can hear me being silly right?

I can't say as I enjoy getting the news letter from International Clearing House (http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/), but it's a great source for alternate media regarding current affairs of interest to me. Maybe not your cup of tea, but the price is the same. :P

Michael Geist (http://www.michaelgeist.ca/) is playing a big role in helping to define some differences between us as we become pressured to fall in line with various American policies. It's interesting to watch as the law is hammered out and people try to be critical and set standards more appropriate for us.

Hope this helps.
Ian

JimiS
06-16-06, 01:02 PM
Ok.. I'll stop with the politics.. I have just heard many great things about Canada and some of the worlds best talent comes out of Canada.. Oh, and did I mention I love maple trees. They make good sounding guitars. :P

Ian
06-16-06, 01:08 PM
I prefer spruce for guitars. I've owned two of this fellow's work (http://www.perryguitars.com/) and still enjoy my second one almost daily.

Manitoba maples provide a sugar with a lot more character than their eastern cousins. Check both out before you settle. :D
Cheers! Ian

QueensU_girl
06-17-06, 12:58 AM
I just saw a young IRAQ VETERAN on the Buffalo News tonight who sounds just like you. :) Mebbe it's catching.

The beer is stronger, the coffee is stronger and there is no death penalty.

william tell
06-17-06, 01:31 AM
I understand your sentiments exactly Jimi, Our rights have dimished at a record setting pace.
I could rant on for a long time but - I'm sure canada is a wonderful place to live, I know the Beekeepers have record setting honey producers so that equals many beautiful flowers :D
Cheers

I would go to my homeland , the UK if I was going to leave but right now the good outweighs the bad

JimiS
06-17-06, 03:28 AM
Its funny, I was at my father in law's house. He used to be a hard core right winger like I was.. Now he and I are more apt to the middle.. Anyway, he is even considering relocating with us.. lol He is a vietnam vet, and I am a gulf war vet...

william tell
06-17-06, 10:20 AM
It's curious to me that you are expressing these sentiments from Oregon, I always dreamed of moving there because I imagined the folks to be much more laid back than here on the east coast next to the hornets nest

JimiS
06-17-06, 02:06 PM
We are more laid back.. But still the overall mentallity is getting worse and worse.. Not just in Oregon, every where.. Besides a secondary reason my wife and I want to move is that our family has become too much of a crutch for us.. Everytime we are short money at the end of the month, we know we can call on them.. It will be a chance to cut the apron strings for good..

william tell
06-17-06, 03:26 PM
But how do you know about everywhere ? I gave up reading the newspaper since all it really did was upset me.
I heard this and it rings true for me - A long time ago there was a man whom took his peoples freedoms away by telling them it was to protect them from outsiders, one by one he took them untill they were all gone and still the people loved him because he was doing it to protect them from outsiders , he even started preemtive attacks on other nations to protect his own people and they loved him his name is Adolf Hitler

JimiS
06-18-06, 01:47 PM
Wow that sounds familiar..

I have about three years to make up my mind.. So, between now and then asking questions and talking to Canadians is my best means of figuring out if I want to call Canada home.. The one good thing about calling Canada home is that if I visit other countries as a Canadian, they won't hate me..

GlenW
06-26-06, 12:01 AM
Hmmm... interesting conversation. I'll give my two bits to it. I like to see a person pondering the move (and a vet which honestly surprised me). Many americans I speak to when I say how I love Canada they say something like "how can you love Canada so much? We have the best country no matter what" - and are very stubborn on the fact. You just cannot say anything negative about the US to many without getting them angry.

That's one difference you'll notice. In the US there are bumper stickers that say "Love America no matter what" or to that end. Here in Canada most people love the country but in an honest way. It's kind of like having a kid who's a criminal - you don't stop loving them but you cannot ignore the behavior. There's love then there's like.

We don't get hung up on things like the flag and being so awfully patriotic. I love my country but will bash a leader or a party if they do us wrong. And boy they do. I hate to vote lately as there are two viable parties where one spends us to death and lets anything go and the other (in power) wants to cut all budgetary spending but military and corporate kickbacks and wants nothing looking like personal freedom. Bush lite.

We are for the most (not all though) well educated being able to access the worlds' news and entertainment. Watch US television and you'd think that all things screech to a halt when you leave the country. We see you and we pay attention carefully. What the US does affects us as much as it does you every time.

We believe that personal freedom is something vital and essential but focus as much on common goals and protection. That makes us somewhat schizophrenic as we encapsulate personal freedom in our constitution but end up being overly politically correct in fear we'll offend another group.

Now that our dollar is very close to yours (I think we'll see another time like the seventies where ours actually beat yours - end of the Vietnam war - wow sound familiar?) and that hurts our exporting. Once bush is gone and the Iraq war is out of the news it will go back to the bad/good old days. Then we'll see things back to normal. I work for Frito Lay exporting back to the US and it affects everything we produce believe me.

Universal medical is one thing you'll be proud of if you come here. It's not perfect but I find that combined with my companie's extended plan I don't fear an illness will bankrupt me or that I'll be left in the cold if one comes up.

You'll hear a lot about us. I'm personally proud of Canada pimples and all. We are the only country in history that every kicked the US's *** on their ground (war of 1812) - where thousands of drunk and angry Canadian/British/Scottish troops ran amok from Boston to DC (burning the town of Boston, many others and the original white house down) and only stopping when they hit Virginia and began to sober up LOL.

If you do come here we'll be welcoming you. We have never been anti US as the US has been in recent years to us. We are in the majority against the iraq occupation though - knowing from the start it was doomed to fail and a fiasco overall. The Afghan war however was actually about a valid anti-terror concern and we're ok with that to a point.

Sorry to get political myself but hey it's a free country! Right?!?!

JimiS
06-26-06, 12:41 AM
Wow, thanks glen.. you have answered many of my questions relating to the overall feel from the people there..

Its funny.. I have never heard of the Canadians beating us.. I wonder why.. lol

Through my travels I have met several Canadians and they have always been layed back and not nearly as neurotic as we Amerikans are..

And due to some more recent events, I am ready to leave here in a heartbeat. I need a new location and a new start..

QueensU_girl
06-27-06, 10:14 AM
What sort of occupation will you be seeking when you come? It might be wise to check the Labour Market and find out if what skills are in demand, and where.

Emma

JimiS
06-27-06, 12:18 PM
I'm a computer nerd by trade, but I am working towards my BS in Business management and another BS in Marketing.. I am hoping those two are pretty universal..