View Full Version : Borderline Personality ... who ever thought up of this name?

auntchris
06-16-06, 08:05 PM
I was diagnosed with Borderline Personality back in 1999 I began cutting myself out of the blue. I was in my forties and had no idea to this day why it began until I saw a therapist a couple of yrs ago ... I was seeing a therapist that dealt with abuse. :confused:Me abused?:( No way,:eek:well it turned out talking to her that I was abused by the kids at school verbally, emotionally and physically. Later in my life I was living with my fiance and what I thought was love was abuse....She told me that she has never seen a case of cutting that the person wasn't abuse in someway in their life . Has anyone every had this said to them or felt like they didnt like themselves because of the diagnoses? All I know is when I was diagnose that was the worst day and the feeling of anger I felt how dare him label me with that ugly label. Even the name is terrible it implies that the person's personality is bad, that the person personality is wrong.:foot::soapbox::( Any replies would be appreciated.

sloppitty-sue
06-16-06, 09:06 PM
Hi Auntchris,

I have never been told to my face that I have been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder; however, I certainly fit the criteria. And I know that therapists can withhold that type of info if they believe it might be harmful to their patient - so I often wonder if somewhere along the way one of my therapists DID dx me with BPD.

I don't blame you for feeling bad about that diagnosis! When I asked my therapist if she had diagnosed me with BPD - her response is that she rarely uses that label because it seems to be used as a "putdown." (But notice that she didn't ANSWER my question!) Also - a different therapist that I saw about 8 years ago told me that many professionals in the psychiatric/psychological field don't "believe" in personality disorders.

When I worked as a secretary for a group of mental health providers - OMG!!! That was DISTURBING!! So many of the "professional" counselors there were (1) FRESH out of college and 25/26 years old with no life experience and counseling middle-aged single moms and grandparents who were having a mid-life crisis, etc. Man - the ignorant and judgemental crap that came out of HER MOUTH!! Ugh! (2) There were also the older versions of that counselor that were just completely out of it! Had not kept up with what was new and improved in the field, etc. Most of these counselors would later talk about the clients to me or whomever was around. It was so unprofessional. AND - the faults that they would point out in their clients were faults that THEY STRUGGLED WITH THEMSELVES - AND VERY SEVERELY AT THAT!!!!

Borderline Personality Disorder?? Don't take that label in if it was ever said to you in an insulting or accusatory way!! I mean - think about it: If a person grows up with abuse, naturally that will most likely have lasting effects on that person. If THAT makes someone have BPD, well whoopity-doo!! It's not THEIR FAULT!!! And those people deserve to have the utmost gentleness and tlc and CONFIDENCE BOOSTING when they go to a clinician for healing!!

So don't you EVER be ashamed of something that wasn't your fault!! And please don't take that label too seriously or with any SHAME!!!

(((Big Hugs)))
Sue

Imnapl
06-18-06, 12:00 AM
So don't you EVER be ashamed of something that wasn't your fault!! And please don't take that label too seriously or with any SHAME!!!

(((Big Hugs)))
SueChris, what Sue said. :cool:

Scattered
06-18-06, 12:51 AM
I agree with everything Sue said as well. Borderline Personality Disorder is the only diagnosis that mentions self injury -- and some counselors give almost a knee jerk reaction diagnosis is they hear cutting is involved. Some of the current literature on it these days is saying that it is more of an impulse disorder and are diagnosising according (usually Impulse Disorder, not otherwise specified). If you were to read down through the diagnositic criteria of BPD and compare it to the average ADDer, even without the self injury there is an awful lot of overlap. While I think BPD can be a legitimate diagnosis, I think it is often misused. It involves a disruption in early objection relations, trust formation, black and white thinking about other people (all good or all bad no inbetween) and such. If those thing fit for you, maybe that is what is going on and it is treatable in a caring therapeutic relationship and not a permanant condition. However, it might not fit for you either -- do some reading research and make up your own mind.

Take care,
Scattered

auntchris
06-18-06, 11:56 PM
I am so sorry i havnt responded soon. I am was so overwhelmed with caring and empathy from all of you.

I dont even know what to say right now.

sloppitty-sue
06-19-06, 12:40 AM
I am so sorry i havnt responded soon. I am was so overwhelmed with caring and empathy from all of you.
I'm so glad to hear that Auntchris!!! YOU DESERVE THAT!!!!

nickole
07-25-06, 05:18 AM
I have add and bpd. I have heard that due to ADD or ADHD being mistreated it can very well lead to BPD and intensify as stressors get more intense and coping skills are weak.

theres so many different theories about how these two are linked, and i think at least one of them out there has to be close to the truth.. because finally realizing the missing piece (my BPD along with ADD) and researching... i'm finding theres a lot of people out there iwth almost the exact same life experiences as both me and my mother (who were born with ADD or NLD or something else to that extent) and who now deal with the very same stages of grief/anguish/confusion I am... it's kind of a point where the add and bpd are feeding off eachother because of some serious stressors as of late.. and the symptoms of both are distinctive and clear, and things make more sense.

BPD is something that some people with ADD develop, and I believe can get worse if things get treated uncorrectly and core issues aren't solved... but can also get better once you understand what you need to do for yourself for BOTH disorders.

as for abuse, I was never hit. Simply misunderstood, made fun of, had a cheating father (this seems to be a big one) and a neurotic grandmother. i was taken away from my mother at a young age, and then later she was taken away from me even for visits.. so she left for alaska.. and only recently was i able to reunite with her. it doesn't have to be outright diagnosed abuse.. sometimes people go through hard times and it hurts your soul.

Matt S.
07-25-06, 12:02 PM
I have a recation to ssri's that cause manic symptoms and while on prozac at age 12 I began cutting and it stopped immediately after the drug was stopped but I recently was labelled BPD,ADHD, bipolar etc... and it was hell being medicated and not getting the slightest clue about DBT until recently I was dx'd adhd and "complex ptsd" ditched the two labels w/ b's even but according to a doc at this partial hospitalization program my symptoms are a result of abuse as a child (i.e. reactiveness in particular) and every "borderline blow-out" that I have been said to have isn't genuinely to that dx... he says borderline is developed in adulthood and has more to do with failed relationship... i.e. abandonment etc and that repeated constant trauma creates similar symptoms yet isn't really bpd??? so now I am no longer a "borderline" and I havent ever needed a mood stabilizer so besides reactive depression and ssri induced mania I haven't cause for bipolar label either... which is true so it is opinion based... the diagnostic process...

janet1969
08-12-06, 12:43 AM
I was adhd as a child, and at back then (I'm 37 years old currently) where I lived it wasn't as well known as it is today so I was never on any meds or therapy or both, and my parents did not help what so ever. I thought I grew out of it as I grew older; was I ever wrong. I have had issues and problems all of my life and never stop to think it could be adhd until about one and a half months ago when I was doing more research on it because my 13 year old son is adhd; which he was diagnosed at age 8 did I realize that I could still have it. I made an appt and finally yesterday (Thursday) I got tested for adhd and I was told that I definitely have adhd along with borderline personality. I "knew" I still had adhd but had to get tested to know for sure, but, I had no idea I would have borderline personality...I'm still stunned about that. I also have depression and anxiety disorder.

Janet

auntchris
08-16-06, 01:24 AM
well, I am not sure half of the people in this world have borderline personality disorder as diagnosed,,,, I hate the name first of all, it says that there is something wrong with your personality and gets me on my soap box.

I know borderline and many others diagnoses such as ADHD, bipolar and bpd have many of the same symptoms. I was amazed to read that ADHD people are likely to self injure too... and take drugs other than prescibed med... that was a big shock.

Well just go on and forward. nice to meet you.

*~ žEEK ~*
08-16-06, 03:46 AM
I was amazed to read that ADHD people are likely to self injureDo you know where you read that Chris? I have never seen that anywhere before!

Anyway, I don't know much about borderline personality disorders, but I was surprised to learn the following while researching ODD and CD, which we think perhaps my adopted brother's two boys may have.
Between 1/2 and 2/3 of teenagers diagnosed with AD/HD are also given diagnoses of (ODD) Oppositional Defiant Disorder.

Up to a 1/3 of clinic-diagnosed youth with AD/HD also receive a diagnosis of (CD) Conduct Disorder.

Children who have ODD are about four times more likely to have a personality disorder when they grow up, that is about a 15% chance.

If they already have some signs of personality disorder as a young teenager, they are 25 times as likely to have a personality disorder as adults.

What this tells us is that the longer these problems go on in childhood and as teenagers, the more likely they are to lead to personality disorders as adults.

Nova
08-16-06, 12:23 PM
I agree with you, Chris.
Most people who are diagnosed with BorderPD, don't 'behave' in the exact way, the DSM (or articles) states they do.

In my opinion, everything's due to the 'intensity level' of the individual.

I keep saying, none of us, are exact clones, of each other.

I think the general diagnosis, states a general 'theme', of those who were measured in control groups- it never reflects ALL.

well, I am not sure half of the people in this world have borderline personality disorder as diagnosed,,,, I hate the name first of all, it says that there is something wrong with your personality and gets me on my soap box.

I know borderline and many others diagnoses such as ADHD, bipolar and bpd have many of the same symptoms. I was amazed to read that ADHD people are likely to self injure too... and take drugs other than prescibed med... that was a big shock.

Well just go on and forward. nice to meet you.

QueensU_girl
08-30-06, 10:14 PM
CD tends to be a male disorder.
In fact, i've never heard nor read of it occuring in females.

It can be the childhood precursor to ASPD. (Antisocial Personality Disorder.)

STYLe4MotiOn
12-25-06, 08:13 PM
I was diagnosed with Borderline Personality back in 1999 I began cutting myself out of the blue. I was in my forties and had no idea to this day why it began until I saw a therapist a couple of yrs ago ... I was seeing a therapist that dealt with abuse. :confused:Me abused?:( No way,:eek:well it turned out talking to her that I was abused by the kids at school verbally, emotionally and physically. Later in my life I was living with my fiance and what I thought was love was abuse....She told me that she has never seen a case of cutting that the person wasn't abuse in someway in their life . Has anyone every had this said to them or felt like they didnt like themselves because of the diagnoses? All I know is when I was diagnose that was the worst day and the feeling of anger I felt how dare him label me with that ugly label. Even the name is terrible it implies that the person's personality is bad, that the person personality is wrong.:foot::soapbox::( Any replies would be appreciated.

Sorry! I didn't have the patience to read all of this, I just read the title..
Blame it on my ADHD :)

Borderline - the name comes from the time when they just discovered a new pathology.
It means the borderline between neurosis and psychosis.

A schizophrenic has a totally distorted perception of reality, and is psychotic.
A person (can't remember the name of the disorder) who has to close the door 5 times because otherwise bad things will happen, is neurotic -- has a realistic view of the world and the self, but has a few irrational tendencies that are not realistic.

Borderline lies inbetween.. I think it's fitting.

Nova
12-25-06, 08:21 PM
I disagree.
All I'm going to say.

Borderline - the name comes from the time when they just discovered a new pathology.
It means the borderline between neurosis and psychosis.

A schizophrenic has a totally distorted perception of reality, and is psychotic.
A person (can't remember the name of the disorder) who has to close the door 5 times because otherwise bad things will happen, is neurotic -- has a realistic view of the world and the self, but has a few irrational tendencies that are not realistic.

Borderline lies inbetween.. I think it's fitting.

Matt S.
12-26-06, 03:41 PM
I am an adult who yesterday was officially dx'd with Oppositional Defiant Disorder which is sad but it is allegedly the developmental predecessor of OCD.