View Full Version : AHHH! Forced to change from Concerta to Metadate!

Crazy~Feet
06-17-06, 10:57 AM
Eek! :eek:

Day 1- I am worried, very worried, that this is too much IR methylphenidate at once. I am shaky, and I do not feel much appreciable change in my symptoms. I staggered my doses 2 hours apart despite the directive to take them all at once, since the Concerta dose was giving me LESS IR and even that seemed to be too much, racing heartbeat and lack of focus, etc. I believe the 4 capsules at once of Metadate would have been a grave error, but I just don't know.

:( I think I need a hug and I am about to be alone with my toddler. She may or may not hug me, but she is bound to be extremely distracting. I hope I stop vibrating like this very soon!

Scattered
06-17-06, 11:39 AM
A cyber hugs is about all I can offer ATM (((((((((((Crazy Feet)))))))))))))!

Hope you feel better soon -- sounds miserable. I hope you can get the dosage thing worked out with your doctor soon.

Scattered

Crazy~Feet
06-17-06, 11:44 AM
Thank you SO MUCH {{{{{SCATTERED}}}}}! I'll take them any way I can get them.

I am miserable :( and I am typically pretty upbeat. I don't like this feeling and don't even know what to attribute it to just now.

Aizlyne
06-17-06, 02:20 PM
(((HUGS)))) Mine's not an impressive one. Havn't mastered fonts...but the love is there crazy! hang in there!

Crazy~Feet
06-17-06, 02:26 PM
{{{HUGS}}} Thanks Aiz! :)

Crazy~Feet
06-18-06, 10:10 AM
Day 2- set my alarm and got up to take Metadate at the same time I previously took the Concerta. Gobbled all 4 capsules in accordance with the RX and promptly went back to bed. Woke less wonky than unmedicated, but not in the clear manner I would awake on Concerta.

No jitters so far.

~boots~
06-18-06, 10:15 AM
Crazy-feet, I hope your day is better, and your medication is sorted promptly :-)
How long have you been trying to get it sorted?

and I am typically pretty upbeat that sure is true :p

I'll never be able to look at a crab, or a pine cone quite the same again ..LOL..:)

Crazy~Feet
06-18-06, 10:26 AM
Crazy-feet, I hope your day is better, and your medication is sorted promptly :-)Awww thanks so much luv! Its not a necessary change, this med game, its a response to my stupid RX Plan :mad: and most unwanted!

How long have you been trying to get it sorted?Which med? I am not my usual cluesniffing self this morning, sadly enough.

that sure is true :p I prefer upbeat to whining in myself and in others, though I try to be supportive of any tactic.

I'll never be able to look at a crab, or a pine cone quite the same again ..LOL..:)GOOD! Then my work here is finished, mwahahahahahahaha!!!

~boots~
06-18-06, 11:01 PM
e its a response to my stupid RX Plan :mad: and most unwanted!

Which med? I am not my usual cluesniffing self this morning, sadly enough. ok..silly question, but WHAT is an RX plan??:confused:

Crazy~Feet
06-19-06, 01:41 PM
Tracy, my RX plan = the bit of insurance that is supposed to help me pay for my meds. The one I have now has some random BS arbitrary dosing limit for Concerta. According to them "most people" can manage to get their dosage managed so that they take 1 tablet a day (mg of tablet does not matter to them but it MUST be one tab a day!).

I am clearly not "most people", since contrary to popular belief there is only one MMMe and I do not, in fact, come in six-packs :mad:, thus I fall onto the side of the BellCurve they use to decide who deserves medication to be paid for, and who does NOT.

I have complied with the first directive and sent them a message from my psy-doc and from myself stating the 1-pill-daily is not a "successful" dose for MMMe, which was promptly recycled into a set of paper airplanes and I hope the beancounters at my RX plan enjoyed the sight of them soaring, all at my expense.

Now they have presented me with a directive called "formal appeals process" involving what appears to be several flaming hoops (Here, leap through these for us) and a mountain of paperwork (We are hoping we cannot hear you under all these papers, and since you are clearly ILL and cannot possibly know what is best for you, perhaps you will give up and leave us all alone after a while huh?), and I am frustrated in all attempts I have recently made.

Point-of-fact: I do NOT do "hurry up and wait" well at all, especially when it is clear to me somebody who has control over my life is fulla ~something rotten and smelly and gross~ and do so much less well when unmedicated. Frustrating spiral! :faint:

My psy-doc is a wonderful and understanding man, loaded with ADD himself and is an inspiration to me, Praise Be To Yevon! Naturally he understands that as a part-time single mother (while DH drives his 18-wheeler to financially support a houseful of people on medication) and has prescribed me SOMETHING, and while it is, in fact, a stimulant known to produce results in ADD "patients", it is clearly NOT my Concerta.

Crazy~Feet
06-19-06, 01:44 PM
Day 3- baby was picked up last night by a cousin for an overnighter and I gave in to the desire to sleep in, ignoring the alarm and waking when able.

Gobbled all 4 capsules and currently not jittery. Hmmmmm.

Doc said this stuff will produce a "rougher ride" than the Concerta and I cannot report as of yet what type of ride I am even on!

Feels like a merry-go-round and I never even got to pick which horse I wanted to ride!!

Crazy~Feet
06-19-06, 03:09 PM
OK semijittering now and unhappy about that.

Is there NOBODY here who takes this stuff? :confused: The websites seem to be designed by the pharm. companies.

Scattered
06-19-06, 04:36 PM
Crazy Feet -- I was wondering if this might work for you during the appeals process. Take Ritalin either before or after your Concerta -- they're the same substance and it would extend your coverage time.

Crazy~Feet
06-19-06, 04:57 PM
Crazy Feet -- I was wondering if this might work for you during the appeals process. Take Ritalin either before or after your Concerta -- they're the same substance and it would extend your coverage time.Thanks for the advice Scattered, but I don't have any more Concerta available until next month. I will try something like that next month I suppose though!

And knowing these fools, they will go and refuse to pay for 2 meds too :mad:. They don't get it!

Scattered
06-19-06, 07:01 PM
Sorry you're getting the run around. I know one Concerta a day doesn't do it for me. My pharmacist said from what he's seen it tends to last more like 6 - 8 effective hours for most folks (he added, "Althought they like to think it works 12"), so you're not that unusual.

Worst case scenario, Ritalin isn't as expensive (a little more jarring of course), but if they will only pay for one -- let them cover Concerta which is more expensive and pick up the less expensive one yourself.

Scattered

ADDELINE
06-19-06, 08:50 PM
Crazy feet...

Are you any better? What about taking the new stuff (Metadate) on a fulll tummy, or at least w/ food in the AM? I've heard that this really curbs the jittery feeling, although I can't say from experience b/c I've never been on Metadate.

Wishing you well; Addeline

Crazy~Feet
06-19-06, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the good wishes Addeline :), good advice on the full stomach, too, but ya know what?

I want my Concerta back! :(

~boots~
06-19-06, 09:16 PM
C-F..what a pain with your insurance...I don't know why some people over here whinge about our system, if only they knew what you all go through to get fee relief on medication!!
I hope you feel better soon, but never having tried concerta or ritalin, I have no great ideas sorry...
good luck with your paperwork:o

Crazy~Feet
06-20-06, 09:41 AM
Day 3- I am not taking this rubbish any more, I am sick of the side effects and it is not helping me anyway. :( No wonder nobody seems to be taking Metadate here!

Crazy~Feet
06-21-06, 09:31 AM
Took 2 capsules this morning because its plain that it will at least wake me up and I am exhausted. Probably not the right thing to do, but I am not much in the mood to care today.

Wish me luck...or don't. I will survive regardless. :soapbox:

SB_UK
06-21-06, 06:08 PM
Hey Crazy ...
I wrote this in Feb '05 ... maybe of some help, *hopefully* of some help.

When I was on Dex - I fely great, calm, motivated ... but I don't think that I was more able to focus on a task requiring sustained mental effort.
When I took ritalin, rebound was hell.
The anxiety was unbearable.

from ... http://www.addforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=146482&postcount=4

We have less choice over here, and I have tried regular ritalin, regular dexedrine and atomoxetine (Strattera) ... dexedrine + strattera is my dream ticket, but, on account of the cost ... I've dropped down to dex alone now.
It's real cheap ... and bar the inconvenience (which it isn't really) ... of 3 doses per day ... the meds rock in at not much more than $10-15 per month (that's the total cost ... no subsidy (insurance or otherwise)).

To re-iterate though ... ritalin was close to unbearable for me, personally.
The only method I found for handling the jittery feelings (which kicked in at around 45 mins - 1 hr post-) on even as little as 1/4 tablet (10 mg regular ritalin) ... was extreme exercise ... that's working flat-out.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't recount this story ... mostly through its highly anecdotal nature ... have only mentioned it to a couple (that's a literal 2) of others on a UK ADD forum ... both have gone on to switch away from ritalin-based to dexedrine-based ... and both have reacted magnificently to the change.

For those guys (Liz and Jon) ... observations, exactly as I described, that is ... ... ... anxiety-inducing, no benefits (ritalin) -> everything that you've heard about the 'miracle' of meds (dexedrine).

I could try and work out the whys? and wherefores? of these radical differences in reaction to dex- vs rit-based meds (in fact ... I think that was the point of that thread :-) ) ... but I've since come to learn that gaining the benefits of medication, opens up other more interesting vistas ... and just like the good ADDer that I am ... I dropped that project in mid-flight ... in a search for the overlap between rrr and RRR ... anyhow ... ... ... ... ... ... for now I guess it's more important for you to find out whether this advice is of any practical benefit to you.

Incidentally, it's pretty much a given that regular dex outlasts regular ritalin by an hour or so ... and that the effects of dex fade in and out much more gently that rit.
I mention these bits of additional info ... for the sole reason that you guys (in North America) ... have a wider range of choice (particularly with respect to extended-release formulations) than us ... and the 2 basic observations (above) made through comparison of the original basic two chemicals (head-to-head), may have been lost by virtue of the newer variations (on their older parent molecules) 'muddying the waters'.
Incidentally, ritalin was pharmacologically engineered from dexedrine, which places dexedrine as the older of the two structures,
Maybe moot ... I don't really know :-) ... just thought I'd mention that last bit ("Incidentally, it's pretty" ... onwards) ... ... ...

Now back to 'General' ... I'm worried I'm going to get lost ... :-) :-) :-) ...

SB.

Crazy~Feet
06-21-06, 11:45 PM
Thanks for braving the wild country here in Medications forum SB :-) your concern was heartfelt and heart-felt as ever...plus...

I BEAT THE RX COMPANY AND GET MY CONCERTA BACK!!! WHOOOHOOOO!!!

Die gnomes DIE!! Rot in triplicate paperwork torment for all eternity!! :soapbox:

~boots~
06-22-06, 12:24 AM
Hey Crazy ...
I wrote this in Feb '05 ... maybe of some help, *hopefully* of some help.

When I was on Dex - I fely great, calm, motivated ... but I don't think that I was more able to focus on a task requiring sustained mental effort.
When I took ritalin, rebound was hell.
The anxiety was unbearable.

from ... http://www.addforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=146482&postcount=4

We have less choice over here, and I have tried regular ritalin, regular dexedrine and atomoxetine (Strattera) ... dexedrine + strattera is my dream ticket, but, on account of the cost ... I've dropped down to dex alone now.
It's real cheap ... and bar the inconvenience (which it isn't really) ... of 3 doses per day ... the meds rock in at not much more than $10-15 per month (that's the total cost ... no subsidy (insurance or otherwise)).

SB.
SB...I feel the same on dex..calm etc, but still find it hard to "learn"...we can get strattera here, but is very very expensive compared to dex or ritalin...what effect did it have for you? Did you combine them both, the strattera and the dex???

Strattera is over $100 per month...and the dex, only $15