View Full Version : Best Clothing Storage System?

Struggling
06-28-06, 07:47 PM
Ok....I'm driving myself absolutely bonkers....I need to know if any of ya'll have figured the best way to organize and store your clothes? I have to be able to see everything when I'm trying to decide what to wear...so I literally tear through my dresser and it's always messy. I've tried hanging everything up but that never last long :o The closest I've come is those cloth sweater shelve things that hang in your closet. but I have way more clothes than can fit in there.

I'd like to know what everyone else does to keep their clothes organized that isn't hanging them up or putting them in a dresser...if anyone has suggestions? :o

benway
06-29-06, 01:34 AM
I had the same problem. What I did- Throw out all unneccessary clothes. The less decisions you need to make, the easier they will be. Or you could live or die on what you're gonna wear today...whatever suits you best!

But then of course you have to decide what clothes are neccessary? And is it neccessary to get rid of unneccessary things if you like them? And etc...Aim to spend 5 minutes doing this, then naturally spend a day or two on it. In my opinion it's worth it.

Good luck!

meadd823
06-29-06, 05:10 AM
But then of course you have to decide what clothes are neccessary? And is it neccessary to get rid of unneccessary things if you like them? And etc...Aim to spend 5 minutes doing this, then naturally spend a day or two on it. In my opinion it's worth it.

This is a good suggestion because if you can't hand them up or put them in a dresser that really decreases your options.

Another idea is to sort clothes according to seasons. My mother does this she has those really flat plastic bens that fir under her bed. She has clothes out of the season. I mean how many wool sweaters does one need in the summer. This way one can have a change in ward robe twice a year.

Rule of thumb except for very formal wear if you have not worn some thing in over a year chances you won't wear it again. You know those thing you like the way they look but every time you wear it you remember why you don't very often.

Lunacie
06-29-06, 09:45 AM
I throw out anything that gets stained, which insures that my closet doesn't get too full because I spill things on my shirts all the time.

Everything except my underwear is hanging in my closet (pants go on those hangers with the clips). Shirts/blouses are sorted by color, then the pants, then the dresses. That way there is room under the shirts for my laundry basket. Shorts are folded on the shelf above. This way it's easy to see what I have and what goes with what.

Wish I'd been able to do this years ago.

DianeS
06-29-06, 02:03 PM
I use a bookcase rather than a dresser. I do have a couple bins on a shelf, for socks and stuff that I don't have to see. But everything else - pants, skirts, shirts, etc - is folded and on shelves, so the edges of each item are visible.

It's working pretty well so far!

Proscrire
06-29-06, 02:22 PM
THanks for the tips (even though this isn't my thread), they're really helpful as we're packing.

I wanted to add about long term storage. Don't store long term (more than a month) in plastic bags, especially formal or natural fiber garmets. Beside possibly trapping in pests like moths, moisture can build up and cause your fibers to decay. Also keep fibers away from sunlight or UV radiation, especially synthetics (poly, rayon, nylon, etc) If storing memorable clothing or fibers, such as wedding dresses, chistening gowns, heirlooms, etc. this is even more important to prevent fiber breakdown and color fade. Use cedar over moth balls or chemical cause it can be sanded and rejunviated after the scent fades.

prettyblonde
07-03-06, 03:56 PM
What works for me-

I sort through clothes every 1-2 months and donate/toss items that are stained, torn, ripped, or don't fit properly. I like having a handful of awesome clothes rather than a closet crammed with crap. It makes getting dressed a quicker process also because my choices are limited and all suitable.

I also purchased beautiful wood hangers to hang all of my clothes on. It makes me feel like I'm shopping in a store when I'm getting dressed, lol. It helps motivate me to hang up my clean laundry, etc, because it looks so nice.

EWerth
07-03-06, 04:09 PM
although I'm the one with ADD, my wife has a terrible problem getting rid of stuff our closets and drawers are stuffed to the gills with clothes. Clutter paralyzes me. I'd like to tilt the house up on one side and pour everything into a dumpster. Love the wooden hanger idea. No more wire hangers ever!

FrazzleDazzle
07-04-06, 01:09 AM
My OCD really helps me in my closet. I go through every couple of months and weed through my old Goodwill finds (my favorite place to shop!) and re-donate anything that just didn't gel with me. I keep my pants on one area, my tops in another, and my sleeveless things next in line. I keep what I don't need to look at for decisions in the drawers, in no particular order. I don't care if my drawers are perfectly neat. My favorite tool for keeping my stuff organized is the OHIO rule. Only Handle It Once. If you got to put it down, put it where it belongs. I swear this keeps my house neat and tidy for the most part. Even my son is starting to do it. Especially handy in the closet. If I put it on and change my mind, I so want to throw it on the floor, but i have to follow the rule! I take off my shoes and put them in my little OCD shoe slots. Stuff like that.

thinkdifferent
07-04-06, 03:08 AM
i love the elfa system. the drawers are open mesh, so i can see what's in each one. they're narrower than your typical dresser drawers, so items don't become a big giant mess. i've assigned each drawer for a specific category - light t-shirts, dark t-shirts, jeans, sweaters, etc. the theory is - since the space is limited, it keeps me from overstocking in each category. if the drawer is full, i have to either donate some items or stop shopping!

you can get elfa at http://www.containerstore.com . they have a 30% off elfa sale every january.

Proscrire
07-04-06, 01:47 PM
Oh dear. Hide the credit card, that site is ADDICTIVE. :D

hips_n_giggles
07-06-06, 02:03 PM
I know how you feel. Since our house is the size of a box, we have to CONSTANTLY pick up after ourselves and put things back where they belong. Our Motto: Everything has a place, so everything in its place!

We recently cleaned out one closet, got rid of a bunch of stuff, and organized some things by season (so we rotate). My husband then built shelves and lower dowels to maximize the space in our closet. We also got an armoire, which has really helped.

I understand why it's overwhelming, but that is a part of the ADD. You will find that when things are out of sight and your environment is tidy, that things run much more smoothly in your daily routine.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Matt S.
07-08-06, 10:26 AM
i dont organize well I have those rubbermaid big plastic storage containers and I just stuff them all in there

justhope
07-14-06, 09:33 PM
Well I do what my mom does, which my sis mentioned ealier, sort/pack by seasons. So no sweather in summer...not shorts in winter...the packing of these before the season is over is another thread all together...sometimes they sit in the bin....well until it's time to pull them out again..aaarggh..

I also sort mine in the closet and dresser by work and play.
two sep dressers, and 2 sep sides of the closet...this helps me at least decide which section to start in....

and I think the best tip ever and I do it almost religiously, which is well almost impossible for most of us...is
get the clothes I want to wear out and ready the night before..this works esp well for work or students...I make my kids do it to..

and when I feel like testing my theory..I rebel..don't do it and it's fool proof, I am guarenteed to be late to work, ****ed off everytime!

So there you go...and yeah I agree with the others...get rid of the crap you haven't worn in at least a year....
being a former fire victim...there are a lot of people who will appreciate those nice clothes you just don't like..wear or like me...fit anymore..!

whatAsaidtoB
07-15-06, 05:50 AM
Haha, my mum ingrained a system into me, so never had a problem with that really. Just at boarding school, actually getting around to washing, and then folding and sorting my clothes. Mya, lazy.

But pretty much, underwear in one draw, socks in another, light shirts in another, winter shirts in another, light pants in another, jeans/heavier pants in another, skirts get hung in the wardrobe. Depends on the size of drawers too, Shallow wide drawers are good, you don't have to dig around to find stuff.

meadd823
07-20-06, 09:33 AM
I also sort mine in the closet and dresser by work and play.

This must run in families because I do this also. I have my nursing uniforms in one section, my work with Gary clothes in another and my not work cloths have their own spot way in the back (because I rarely wear) are “formal things”. I am a blue jean and t-shirt person!

My uniforms (nursing scrubs) are “pre-matched” I buy them that way so getting ready for work is a matter of grab and go.(scrubs are ADD friendly that way)

I buy most of my clothes “in sets” because to have to decide what shirt goes with which pants is way tooo much of a head ache. Unlike Ohio and the northern states in Texas we don’t have much of a winter we mostly have “not summer”.

dormammau2008
07-20-06, 11:37 AM
deps on the culoths i stroge each thing in diff place so i know 98% time were things are an house stuff 99.7% time i know were it is an if iam out someones eles home i know were there stuff is after a day lol...coulder code them in diff draws that way you know were they are dorm

ana futura
09-07-13, 11:47 PM
Bumping this thread cause it's awesome.

Any more ideas? I really want to find a way to have all my clothes visible, even though i have a teany closet. I'm thinking of running a pole from end to end across the room and having all my clothes hanging on it.

Daydreamin22
09-07-13, 11:51 PM
hahaha. I sort mine by color, put all my pants together, all my dresses together, and my shirts together..

I think the best system is what cher on clueless had.

dvdnvwls
09-08-13, 12:18 AM
ana futura: how visible do you need/want them to be? Shelving units are cheap and come in several sizes and kinds. For any clothes to be kept long-term in one place, or that need to be set down while slightly damp, don't let them touch bare metal shelves or poles; rust-stained clothes are nearly impossible to fix. Metal with good waterproof or anti-rust paint on it (either from a factory or done yourself) should be fine. Metal coat hangers are already treated with paint or other finishes to stop rusting; don't worry about them.

More "fancy" - there are wardrobe units with glass doors.

Also, your end-to-end pole might be replaced by one or more of those portable indoor clothes-drying racks which are simply several short poles mounted crosswise in a frame. This would allow you to quickly collapse and remove one section of your clothes if you needed the space temporarily.

ana futura
09-08-13, 12:28 AM
I'm not sure. I just realized tonight that the reason my clothes end up in a heap in a floor is that I do not like dressers, and hangers seem to be the thing I like using best.

I have one of those hanging fabric shelf things, but something about the extra step of folding makes it less likely that I'll use it.

My number one problem is visibility, but ease of use and laziness prevention is a close second.

And I kinda want something that looks cool. Tall order, I know.

I really like the bookshelf idea that was mentioned.

Daydreamin22
09-08-13, 12:28 AM
there's an app you can get that is called my closed and you take a picture of all of your clothes then plan your outfits

dvdnvwls
09-08-13, 12:46 AM
I'm not sure. I just realized tonight that the reason my clothes end up in a heap in a floor is that I do not like dressers, and hangers seem to be the thing I like using best.

I have one of those hanging fabric shelf things, but something about the extra step of folding makes it less likely that I'll use it. I hate those because they wiggle while you try to add or remove items. I'm clumsy enough without self-wobbling shelves. :D

My number one problem is visibility, but ease of use and laziness prevention is a close second.

And I kinda want something that looks cool. Tall order, I know.

I really like the bookshelf idea that was mentioned.

This starts to depend on what you think looks cool, as opposed to what others think - and also how much space you have. The reason for closets and drawers is that clothes usually take way too much space when stored in the open.

If your best usual storage method is hangers, strongly consider the many nice-looking wardrobes that exist. I know IKEA has ones with glass doors, which bring your visibility factor into play at least a bit - or you could even get a regular-doors one and simply not install the doors. (In fact, a no-doors wardrobe comes very close to your pole idea, but looks more dignified.) If you have a friend who loves to build things, a wardrobe measured to your space would be a do-able project. For the majority of clothes, hanging tends to prevent wrinkles much better than lying on a shelf. Especially if, like me, you tend to accidentally bunch up the clothes when placing them on a shelf. Shelves are nice for store display, but they don't do an effective or efficient job of holding a lot of clothes or keeping them neat.

sarahsweets
09-08-13, 07:05 AM
My bedroom floor works beautifully.

ana futura
09-08-13, 11:51 AM
My bedroom floor works beautifully.

That was my attitude, but the cat hair has driven me to the breaking point.

ana futura
09-08-13, 12:27 PM
This is so awesome!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/decor8/5205473196/
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5125/5205473196_495932ed1c.jpg

I think I will just make 3 simple garment racks out of plumbers pipe for now.