View Full Version : I am not the only one

welsh321
07-03-06, 10:34 AM
I am a third grade teacher. I too have ADHD. I can't believe there are so many others out there. It is nice to meet you all! The one thing I can say is because I know a little about add I try very hard to meet the needs of all my students whatever those needs are. I can remember always being in the low reading group. In Kinder. they put in me in special ed classes. I just thought I was dumb. I was the one in the corner or the one who had to kiss the teachers cheek when I left a mess of books or paper around my desk.(I know that is not okay...it was my third grade teacher) I have also always been a horrible speller. I used to cry daily if I brought anything home lower than a B which often happened. I was only diagnose about 4 years ago. I would love to chat with you. I am still learning about add/adhd and any advice for myself or how to be a better teacher would be wonderful!

chloe516
07-03-06, 10:48 AM
I'm a teacher with ADHD too. I teach second grade. Feel free to pm me and there is a private teacher's forum for extra support and the added comfort of more confidentiality.

Welcome!

ames
07-06-06, 03:44 PM
I also am in education (speech pathologist working with ages 3 and up) and have ADD. Dx'd as an adult, although my family has been hounding me for years to see a doc about the possibility of ADD. I was put on meds and they have helped tremendously! I can actually think coherent thoughts, maintain some semblence of organization, and not lose the all important school paperwork (as much!). Nice to know that there are other educators out there who have the same thing!

I'd say you could PM me, but I have no idea if I am set up for that on this account. Blame it on the inattentiveness! :D

VisualImagery
07-19-06, 07:02 PM
I am a high school teacher with 2 years experience teaching Family and Consumer Science. I taught Consumer Education -Love teaching this, an orientation class-hated teaching this, too much jumping from topic to topic which made many of my students nuts-Parenting and Child Development-I learned more than the kids. Foods and Nutrition, imagine 24 kids in the kitchens with knives and hot stuff, and I tasted their food, isn't taking risks a characteristic of ADD?-Adult Living, from personal development to sexuality to marriage and so on. A required course for seniors who thought it was an easy A. :D :p :D :p I am now certified to teach art. I will take a position in either area but would prefer art. My Psychologist said that people expect artists to be a little off the wall and my personality would be better accepted than it has been in FACS-I am definitely not martha stewart. Nor would I want to be.