View Full Version : haldol for tourette's

sahmbo
07-04-06, 02:24 PM
Hi,

I am 55 years old and have experienced tics including throat-clearing, noise-making, face-making all my life. Recently I began taking a small dose of Haldol and have noticed no difference. The doctor advised me that I might have a mild form of Tourette's.

Has anyone here used Haldol for similar symptoms? Have you noticed any changes? Can you describe them? I guess I am just looking for some comrades here. This is something I have lived with forever and contemplating its demise is sort of strange.

Thanks for your response. :)

pollon22
09-20-07, 06:26 PM
Hi--please see my posting--i'm 55 and have had bad tics all my life--only now am i trying to get help--what else have you trid--tony-- uk

wifeof
09-21-07, 11:25 AM
Be very, very careful with Haldol. It is very much a blunt instrument -- rather like using a sledgehammer to kill a fly. Granted, my husband's experience with it was bad -- very very bad, so I'm biased. He ended up with a depression so severe our HMO was ready to hospitalize him (things have to be really bad before an HMO will agree to that) before I finally did some research and discovered that depression was a rare, but not unknown, side effect of Haldol.

Against doctors orders I stopped the Haldol, and within 24 hours my husband was functional, though it took a month to get back to where he had been before Haldol wrecked him.

netsavy006
10-01-07, 10:31 AM
What dose of haldol are you using? (roughly) In really low doses the chance of side effects and reactions are lower. However all medications like haldol, can cause a condition called tardive dyskinesia. Be sure to read up on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardive_dyskinesia

Newer medications, like Zyprexia, Abilify, and Risperdal carry a lower risk.

From my personal experience with risperdal, it didn't work for me, it gave me tics instead of treating them.

Naomi2
04-07-08, 10:53 AM
'Haloperidol is an antipsychotic medication sometimes used to treat severe cases of Tourette's,' so says Wikipedia.

I've heard of it being used, but I don't see why an antipsychtic would be used for a neurological disorder. It can apparently help with OCD though.