View Full Version : Super sniffer?

Crazy~Feet
07-13-06, 12:31 PM
We have supersonic hearing and startle reflex being discussed now, so this is for me and for Barb (hoping its not just the two of us but at least if it is we have each other huh?) .

Does anybody smell things that others do not seem to smell? If you do how do you react to the Mystery Odor?

Crazy

AT LAST! I KNEW I wasn't alone in this!

When a neurologist does an examination, one of the first things they do is test smell sense.

I occasionally have "supernose" - my term for that enhanced sense of smell one gets with certain hormone levels (like during pregnancy).

I occasionally can't smell what others can.

But, the most interesting thing is the occasional strong and strange smell that comes from nowhere and nobody else smells!O-M-G! Thank you Barb!

Th kid is called "supernose" at school actually. Seems to run in my family too...memories of my dad stopping dead in his tracks and sniffing, asking "Do you smell that...that STENCH?!".

The kid and I actually became ill at a restarant this week, and we asked DH and the older DD if they smelled that stench. They did not smell it :eyebrow: but we sure did!

Its brutal I tell ya!

barbyma
07-13-06, 12:52 PM
O-M-G! Thank you Barb!

Th kid is called "supernose" at school actually.
:D LOL!

I think I'd have garnered a reputation as a "supersniffer", too if I didn't walk around with stuffed sinuses 30% of the time! Now, as an adult, my sinus problems have crept deeper and breathing isn't an issue. Maybe that's why I notice it so much more.

Crazy~Feet
07-13-06, 01:04 PM
:D LOL!

I think I'd have garnered a reputation as a "supersniffer", too if I didn't walk around with stuffed sinuses 30% of the time! Now, as an adult, my sinus problems have crept deeper and breathing isn't an issue. Maybe that's why I notice it so much more.Hahaha! So maybe I ought to give up my Zyrtec in favor of relief from Mystery Stenches? :D Not gonna happen but it was a worthy hypothesis for about 30 seconds.

Maybe it is aging though...although the kid seems to be fairly accurate at defining the Stench whereas I just gag.

melanie_me
07-13-06, 05:43 PM
I don't necessarily smell things other people don't smell, I'm just more sensitive to smells in general.

I just leave the area, if possible or I avoid the smelly person. One of my coworkers smells terrible and if I ever need to talk to him in person I sit in a chair outside his office doorway and say that his office is just too cold for me and I urge him to stay in his comfortable office chair behind his desk.

The worst is a smelly or flatulent person on a airplane. Then I just pull my shirt over my nose. I don't care if I look stupid, it's better than puking or impulsively yelling, "Whoever just crapped their pants is a jerk!!"

Chele77
07-13-06, 06:59 PM
Yes, I once smelled the smell of propane gas when working at the mall, everyone I worked with said they didn't smell anything. About half an hour later, a fireman came into the store and said that they were evacuating the mall because a store at the other end of the mall had a gas-leak. :confused:

bunny0271
07-13-06, 08:58 PM
I drive my family nuts by asking, "Do you smell that? What's that smell?" No else ever smells it except me. This sounds really crazy, but when the neigbors barbecue, the smell drives me crazy!!!! Super smelling, super hearing, but I don't have super sight! :rolleyes:

~boots~
07-13-06, 09:36 PM
no ;-)

Crazy~Feet
07-13-06, 09:44 PM
I had sort of smelt that you would say that Tracy :p get over here and do my washing!

Super-sniffer story from earlier this week, reposted for everybody's amusement/empathy (depending upon individual super-sensitivities).

DH provided me and the older 2 kids here with dinner and a movie, quite a nice idea....UNTIL!!

~-~insert comedic music of doom~-~

The Mystery Stench!! :faint:

Dinner at restaurant, sit in booth and so it begins...

Me: Do you smell that? (sniffs)
Her: Yes (sniffs) do you know what it is?
Me: Do you two smell that?
Other two: Smell what?
Her: Momma this is so nasty....(sniff sniff)
Me: Yes it is, it's like burning detergent? (sniff sniff) OK definitely something burning or burnt!
Her: Wait...(sniff) burning trash!
Me: Yes but something else too...(sniff)
Her: Got it! Burning trash and wet dog!

We got the food put into take-away boxes and went on to the theater and it took both of us about 1/2 an hour into the movie to settle our stomachs. We passed on the popcorn because we were so nauseated.

meadd823
07-15-06, 05:49 AM
Man I wish my daughter Samantha were here she is the family “nose” she can is the “can you smell that” ADDer in my family. I can hear, my daughter Michelle and other daughter Jana can “feel” I swear they could be inside a cave and tell ya it is fixing to rain because they can feel it (clothing is a PIA) , Samantha smells.

The worst is a smelly or flatulent person on a airplane. Then I just pull my shirt over my nose. I don't care if I look stupid, it's better than puking or impulsively yelling, "Whoever just crapped their pants is a jerk!!"

This reminded me of some thing that happened when I was roofing. Okay when flatus is so bad it bothers roofers it is really bad. After the fifth “fragrant” green fog fart found it’s way to the roof, one of the guys hollered down at the offender:

“Hey did you just “poop” in your pants?

The guy shook his head “no”

“Man you missed a good opportunity”, (cause he was a smellin like s*** any way.)

I almost feel off the roof laughing.

mispiston
07-21-06, 03:55 PM
My husband NEEDS to see these posts 'cuz he thinks I'm nuts. Boy am I glad I read this stuff sometimes (especially the last post about being on the airplane- I laughed soooo much I almost pe***********d in my pants! Which is another gagging stench: "Woooo! The Depends aisle is down on your right. Never mind, I'LL get dem "pull-up" panties fer yer!" Deliverance would never have been made by an ADDer. pheeeuU!. I also need to reply to the msg. about the "bionic-hearing" - another thing hubby (actually, soon 2BX! ;) ) doesn't understand. For example, while in the recovery area after surgery last year, I could hear the nurse on the phone with a doc asking a ? about another patient. Big deal you say? Well it wasn't only the nurse I heard but the doc ON THE OTHER END OF THE PHONE! And because I was still pretty wacked from the anesthesia/painkiller, I yelled out the answer, which I knew because I've done bio-research for >20 yrs. You should have seen the look on her face when she came over to me. But what can you say? Besides, they usually think you're the devil :cool:

Crazy~Feet
07-21-06, 05:09 PM
I just leave the area, if possible or I avoid the smelly person. One of my coworkers smells terrible and if I ever need to talk to him in person I sit in a chair outside his office doorway and say that his office is just too cold for me and I urge him to stay in his comfortable office chair behind his desk.

The worst is a smelly or flatulent person on a airplane. Then I just pull my shirt over my nose. I don't care if I look stupid, it's better than puking or impulsively yelling, "Whoever just crapped their pants is a jerk!!"TY Melanie. That just underscores so much for me about my child. Impulsivity is a huge problem for her, and she was consantly coming home from school complaining about other kids' B.O. :eyebrow: then wondering why she did not get along with them.

"Whoever just crapped their pants is a jerk!!" ..sounds like something she would have said before she got medicated, yep, and probably worse...

Concerta made a big difference for her, with the impulsivity anyway, and she has friends now. Maybe that's because she no longer utters things like "Who crapped their pants?". I know she still smells stuff and I do too, but at least she has a few seconds to consider that people might not enjoy "EWWWWW! Did you sleep outside with your cattle last night?".

Crazy

VisualImagery
07-21-06, 05:17 PM
I have a "dog" nose. I can smell things no one in my family even notices. Note: I do not sniff things like my 3 canine beasts do. Just want to make sure no one makes that connection. I know how the ADD brain works-just like mine:) .

Thank you for the belly laugh. Roofers commenting about smells when outside??? :D :D :D :D

Subbed in the EMH room one day-nearly threw up. Many of the parents don't teach good hygeine. Next time I took perfume to dab under my nose all day. I can smell the food kids sneek into class-and hear the wrappers too. They can't figure it out.

I am always looking for things that are burning and never find anything. Smells of somethings trigger migraines-is that a connection for anyone else?

Crazy~Feet
07-21-06, 05:21 PM
I don't suffer from migraines myself, but I do get very nauseated, and if I have to endure too much of that type of aggravating sensory input (imagines airplanes and shudders) and cannot escape it, I will get very irritable and feel like my head is going to explode.

A grown woman having a meltdown is probably not a very pretty sight, huh?

Crazy

bunny0271
07-21-06, 05:26 PM
I get migraines too from the smells. Especially when people take a bath in their perfume. Ugh, kills me. A little goes a long way.

VisualImagery
07-21-06, 05:29 PM
Not unless you are the wicked witch of the west:p , don't make me call my flying monkies......

I have had my melt downs-but people usually think it is a woman (gender) thing.

Crazy~Feet
07-21-06, 05:55 PM
Not unless you are the wicked witch of the west:p , don't make me call my flying monkies......

I have had my melt downs-but people usually think it is a woman (gender) thing. :mad: freakin' people! Sometimes I just wanna...Go Go Gadget Impulse Controller! Good thing I got one of those now and it actually works sometimes, because that just peeves me beyond tolarance sometimes Radekker. I guess its kinda nifty that I can play it off sometimes, ya know, "Hey PMS man, ya know how it is" and on the other foot...a meltdown is a meltdown!

What about my ADD Brothers? That's not an option for them, and meldowns happen...ugh ugh ugh. Its circular and circular traps me sometimes. Lack of ADD understanding irks me. A meltdown is not PMS. :soapbox: Blargh, this is probably why I spend so much time at other forums describing ADD to people who seem intelligent enough to care and understand.

Crazy (has anybody else noticed there are no guys posting about this yet?)

william tell
07-21-06, 07:21 PM
What colors should we order your capes and tights ?

Crazy~Feet
07-21-06, 07:25 PM
Something as colorful and annoying and distracting as my life is Lestat :cool: why should my costumes not reflect my life huh?

william tell
07-21-06, 07:42 PM
should it just reflect your super abilities or should it reflect your sex appeal also, something short and sexy ?

Crazy~Feet
07-21-06, 07:45 PM
Definitely my super-abilities, maybe a nice rubber nose for a hat?

Since I am neither short nor sexy, I doubt I could pull that other option off ;). Although come to think of it...I have been told I am kinda sexy when I am angry :D whatever that means!

Wait...then again, I have been mistaken for a man in forum posts as well :rolleyes: maybe that should be incorporated into my costume as well.

You are killing me laughing Lestat ya know it?

Crazy

VisualImagery
07-21-06, 07:59 PM
:mad: freakin' people

Crazy Feet-I wasn't calling you a wicked witch-it was just one of those word association moments. So sorry.

I think I am melting now. A good meltdown once in awhile is healthy, isn't it? Get the bucket of water. I bet some of my students wanted to do that. In fact I think I did the witch thing in class one day. Or was that my Dirty Harry, or my John Wayne? Or my Edith Ann or Julia Child, or Mommie Dearest....

Ms. D - you are crazy- - - My answer? "Like a fox." Being a bit unpredictable keeps them on their toes, and they love the comedy.

I think a long cape with a short, sexy tight thing underneath. At my age, it would really turn heads. What with the curly red hair too. What does your costume look like William, do Tell. :) Is it the apple of your eye? (I needed a humor outlet tonight, miss HS theater class.)

What about the Wicked Warlock of the West?

Boy, am I off topic. But then again, I could smell it coming. (Does that justify my post?)
:D :D :D

william tell
07-21-06, 08:04 PM
well, my research into the situation with one of the top super costume makers -Edna- informs me that capes can be detrimental to your health ie can get caught on things when you are flying and such so something sleek and tight fitting is recommended

can you run fast ? we would have to build in friction reducers if you can.

what is this talk of being mistaken as a man ?
only by asexuals probably.

you would probably look very sexy WOHOO !! :D

VisualImagery
07-21-06, 08:06 PM
Should we start a new chit-chat thread for this topic? It is kinda fun but not about smells. I am sure we would make a moderator somewhere in cyberspace very happy.

william tell
07-21-06, 08:18 PM
shhh, the mods are somewhere else right now -
I have another window open and am causing trouble in another thread to keep them busy elsewhere

My costume will be made by Calvin Klien undergarments
since I like to feel sexy :D

VisualImagery
07-21-06, 08:25 PM
As long as you wash them regularly so they smell good. You wouldn't want a roofer noticing, would you?

I would design my own-They called me the future Yves St. Laurent in 8th grade.

Crazy~Feet
07-21-06, 08:38 PM
Radekker, is it me or has the ADHD level in this place gone sky-high here of late? :foot:

LMAO I happen to love those word association moments :D ask around, I do it allllll the time! One of the gifts of ADHD seems to be a zany and irreverant sense of humor.

I was not at all upset by anything you said, I was ranting about misperceptions about ADHD that abound in society, ya know, THOSE freakin' people!

And I dunno if you smelled this coming, but I just had a word association myself. Word was bucket and this is what came to mind:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=312503&postcount=281

Humor is funny :cool:...heh.

So stick around and laugh with us and sometimes cry, but its all good. OH! And he already has a costume, last I thought about it, Lestat was prone to wearing red velvet frock coats and lacy shirts, but sometimes he goes with the leather-clad rock and roller costume. I guess ya get more leeway when you are immortal.

Crazy (who really is gonna have a meltdown tonight, but not because of anyone in this place, real life's a *****!)

william tell
07-21-06, 08:48 PM
I have no love, no joy and am condemned to walk this earth forever

And I have 7 undergarments , one for each day with a special pair for fri and sat nights -those are feeding nights
:eek:

Crazy~Feet
07-21-06, 08:53 PM
OMG is it just me who inspires this insane OT posting?? LMAO...I need to open a new chit-chat thread and call it "OT ramblings, Crazy's fault as usual". cuz we really are OT now and time we play elsewhere guys :) ex-mods can only have fun for so long before they remember to follow the rules.

Crazy (gotta get up a better title but check for me in chit-chat soon)

william tell
07-21-06, 08:58 PM
I smell just fine, perhaps a little musky after super work all day :D

VisualImagery
07-21-06, 09:09 PM
OMG-I understood everything you put in that post. Didn't the tin man say "Some go this way, some go that way, and some go both ways"? Wong Fu, Thanks for everything.

And yes, the ADHD/ADD humor/side track level is off the meter. :D It is a Friday night-Many don't have to work tomorrow, perhaps some have been having a cold one or more? I know I need to let my hair down a bit.
We had a very severe T-storm with sighted tornadoes. I get a little weird with weather changes. Sensitive to the weather too? hmmmmm

Our house was like this all time when I was growing up. I think my whole family is freaking ADD. (Most would not admit it.) Talk about hypersensitive people. Smells, sounds, feelings. My mom is one of those hyper organized people w/ADD-at least that is my supposition. Too bad they thought I was defective and tried to fix me. Then they told me I was too sensitive. :soapbox: Things are better now-I learned how to stand up for myself. I think I am living up to my "potential," whatever the heck potential is.

Guess we all need to buck it up right now. Just where is that rainbow connection? Is it equally straight on till morning?

Imnapl
07-22-06, 03:51 PM
Yes, I once smelled the smell of propane gas when working at the mall, everyone I worked with said they didn't smell anything. About half an hour later, a fireman came into the store and said that they were evacuating the mall because a store at the other end of the mall had a gas-leak. :confused:That brings back memories. I kept smelling natural gas as I walked by one spot in a building I worked in. No one else could smell it and it was driving me crazy. When the repairmen came to service the furnace they found out it wasn't working right and that's why I could smell the gas.

I react stongly to the smell of marijuana; tickly nose, sneezing and have been used as a "sniffer" at one place I worked at. :D

VisualImagery
07-22-06, 05:32 PM
I react stongly to the smell of marijuana; tickly nose, sneezing and have been used as a "sniffer" at one place I worked at. :D

In college, I put a towel under my door to keep that smell out. It made me sick. Never wanted to try it. Even the smell of the stuff we found in my older daughter's purse was revolting. (That my dear is another story!) I can tell when my students got high before school without looking at their eyes.

Maybe we could work with law enforcement and get paid to do what the dogs do? :D

The trash chute was outside my dorm room and I had to smell the old beer cans and cigarette butts. That was before any smoking regs. I also cleaned up the student union-the smell of old cigarettes still makes my stomach turn. And the men's rooms... We had to keep the sinks clean and replenish TP and PT. If someone throws up, I come really close to joining them because of the smell. My DH had to clean up when the kids hurled.

Sorry if I grossed anyone out. I need to eat something sweet now.

sehrita
07-22-06, 07:19 PM
That is so funny that you call it a "super sniffer". That is also what I call my nose. Actually I claim it as my ADD super power. I have the ability to sniff out things that "normal" human has sniffed out before. :D

My boyfriend can never tell when his hounds are getting stinky. I always have to point it out to him (constantly :rolleyes: ) in order for him to bathe them. They sleep under the bed covers so the body heat just radiates out the "dog smell". Ewwww! Wierd thing is that he can never smell the "ripeness".:faint:

Chele77
07-24-06, 02:43 AM
I remember when I was younger and still living at home, I could always smell if my step-sister had showered or not, ick, she didn't usually. Man, I hated living with her stinky a#*.:)

Do you guys ever get really irritated by the smell of someone's perfume?

bunny0271
07-24-06, 06:37 PM
Perfume is definitely the worst! Especially when they take a bath in it, yuck!

VisualImagery
07-24-06, 07:01 PM
I can smell when my husband is not drinking enough water and fluids-it is just different. He looks at me stangely from in front of his analytical chemist, linear, concrete, rational thinking brain.

Crazy~Feet
07-24-06, 10:22 PM
I swear on all I hold dear, I could be blindfolded, have my arms tied behind my back, my ears totally plugged and instantly know when DH walked into the room.

I really oughta try that some day, new party game, I think maybe.

Crazy

speedo
07-24-06, 10:24 PM
HAY. I take rsiperdal to reduce my sensory induced anxiety and stress. It helpos a lot. EVer tried it or maybe an ssri for your super sniffer ?

ME :D

Crazy~Feet
07-24-06, 10:44 PM
HAY. I take rsiperdal to reduce my sensory induced anxiety and stress. It helpos a lot. EVer tried it or maybe an ssri for your super sniffer ?

ME :DNow that ya mention it, I take 60 mgs Cymbalta daily (SSNRI) and I replied in the Geek thread to the antipsychotic med thing.

Crazy

VisualImagery
07-24-06, 10:49 PM
Risperdal scares the crap out of me-I am highly drug sensitive-and get strange or rare side effects from many drugs. Not all curiously. The sample boxes are still sitting on my dining table.

Funny, my anxiety and other problems are below the radar since stopping my Zoloft. It was causing serotonin syndrome-see my posts about it. To gone to link. I have to be so careful about meds. Sulfa drugs cause mental confusion. My sniffer is just one part of the picture.

Crazy~Feet
07-24-06, 11:15 PM
My oldest cannot take the Sulfas either, and none of us can take benadryl without a major period of hyperactivity ensuing.

Meh, idiopathic responses...who came up with that term anyway? :mad:

Crazy

acceptance
05-17-07, 10:00 PM
Add me to your list,im like a sniffer dog!(maybe im in the wrong line of work?)I can smell pot miles away,at shopping centres,anywhere.but if im more focused on different issues (my own)i found my wall goes up and smell is in the backseat for awhile.
Its not something that we can freely discuss with anyone,lol,cause once we get going(talking)all our other superpowers evolve,could be scary to others.
back to smell sensory..........odours of things noone picks up on,i get a weird look,when ive said,can u smell that,on numerous times at different locations anywhere

Crazy~Feet
05-17-07, 10:02 PM
Yay! A new super-sniffer to add to our little group. :)

NonSequitur
06-29-07, 10:18 AM
I don't know if I'd call myself a "super-sniffer" but there seemed to be a lot of smelly people on the bus yesterday. I caught a whiff of something that made me gag, and it wasn't perfume. I was even grateful to the person who left a perfume trail when they passed me.

For me, it comes and goes. I think it depends partly on the weather conditions. Yesterday was humid, and I felt like I could smell everything. Yet, sometimes I can't tell when the kitchen garbage is really bad.

I remember mentioning to someone that I can smell potatoes on my hands after I've been peeling and cutting them. She looked like I was from another planet and said "Potatoes don't smell!" Well, okay, if you say so. ;)

Crazy~Feet
06-29-07, 10:35 AM
Oh come ON! Potatoes definitely smell...and updated, I now do NOT take Cymbalts, but I DO take Abilify 3X a day...and that helps with sensory. Of course, I also now have a definitive DX of sensory integration dysfunction, too.

dormammau2008
07-18-07, 08:08 PM
patoas smeall do they i have allmost no sence smell i can pic up about 4/5 things an thats it...what kind things do you smeall then crazy feet????,,

dorm

Tiddlywinks
12-09-07, 09:51 PM
I can tell you what flavor candy you are eating as soon as I walk in a room. I can also (unfortunatly) smell urine any where! A friend of my mine came for a vist last weekend and used the restroom. I can still smell his urine even though I have cleaned the bathroom several times.

Legal_Eagle_69
02-01-08, 05:00 PM
My husband NEEDS to see these posts 'cuz he thinks I'm nuts. Boy am I glad I read this stuff sometimes (especially the last post about being on the airplane- I laughed soooo much I almost pe***********d in my pants! Which is another gagging stench: "Woooo! The Depends aisle is down on your right. Never mind, I'LL get dem "pull-up" panties fer yer!" Deliverance would never have been made by an ADDer. pheeeuU!. I also need to reply to the msg. about the "bionic-hearing" - another thing hubby (actually, soon 2BX! ;) ) doesn't understand. For example, while in the recovery area after surgery last year, I could hear the nurse on the phone with a doc asking a ? about another patient. Big deal you say? Well it wasn't only the nurse I heard but the doc ON THE OTHER END OF THE PHONE! And because I was still pretty wacked from the anesthesia/painkiller, I yelled out the answer, which I knew because I've done bio-research for >20 yrs. You should have seen the look on her face when she came over to me. But what can you say? Besides, they usually think you're the devil :cool:

Maybe we should fix our ex's up with each! LOL