View Full Version : Internal Interview

casper
07-16-06, 10:51 PM
I am doing an internal interview for a position at my present company. I guess I don't know what hte policy is rule of thumb is on a few issues. I don't know if I am to dress up for it, or just be casual? Can I bring up current problems and such that I would like to change? That kinda thing???

FrazzleDazzle
07-17-06, 12:43 AM
Dress up if the job is a dress-up kind of job. I believe rule-of-thumb is to dress like the other employees in that department or just a tad of a notch up.

No, do NOT bring up any problems in your current department and why you want to change. Stay far and steer clear of negativity. If the interviewer may know about them and bring them up, turn it around to a positive very quickly. I would suggest only emphasizing what talent and skills you can bring to the new department instead, rather that what YOU are looking for. There are some great interviewing books available, that is the only way I got through some of them, because I totally toasted one job interview that I really wanted. A good interviewing skills book made me see the errors in my ways. There can be tons of folks for one job, you have to know how to be above the rest. Finish the interview by thanking them for their time, and follow with a thank you note in the mail. That is always a very considerate, yet impressive gesture, sure to knock your chances up a notch. :-)

Best of luck to you, and congratulations on the opportunity!

susane
07-17-06, 04:00 PM
1kid2dogs is right. Stick to the positive and do not focus on any negatives...it could give them a negative perception of you. Focus on your skills and what value you can bring to their department. Let them ask questions first and jot down any questions you have ahead of the interview. Don't interupt the interviewer when they are speaking, wait until they are finished with what they are saying before you respond.

I feel, candidates should dress up for an interview. Even if the department is casual, look professional because you are trying to create a good first impression. First impressions stick and are hard to overcome if they are bad. By dressing professional you are showing initiative, you care what they think and you are willing to do what it takes to be successful on the job. As a rule of thumb, women should wear a skirt instead of slacks, nylons and closed toed shoes when interviewing. Some people have a pet peeve with these things, so it is better to be safe than sorry. A professional button up blouse is acceptable if you don't want to wear a suit jacket.

Hope this helps.

casper
07-20-06, 12:52 PM
Am I suppose to send a thank u letter even though it was an internal interview?

FrazzleDazzle
07-20-06, 01:00 PM
I would, just a real short note. Two sentences. I usually send a small thank you card, professional-looking, thanking them for their time to share with you about the opportunity, and you look forward to the possiblity of becoming part of their team. It will give you an edge above the rest, so definitely worth doing.

Have you had the interview yet? Let us know. Good luck! :-)

casper
07-20-06, 11:22 PM
Had the interview today. I think it went well. 1.45 hours long! Do they not know I cannot sit that long??? THe usual pre-written questions nad such.

The one question that threw me off was - When is it appropriate to hire additional staff? I was like what the hell does that mean?????

FrazzleDazzle
07-20-06, 11:28 PM
That was a long interview, Casper! Glad it went well.

I don't know what that question means either? How weird, how did you answer it?

I hate the one I realized many give at the end of the intervew....why should we hire YOU? I HATE that one, and had to come up with pre-fab answer before going in there, and make it sound all impromptu......I don't like selling anything, much less myself.

Let us know what comes of it.

casper
07-21-06, 04:59 PM
I said something to the effect of cross training is the a good thing. I tried to veer off the question a little. I said I would like to be cross trained and that would be an opportunity to hire additional help or at least temporarily. I also said if a big function was coming up, or if sales suddenly went up. Or if we lost people.

I really didnt know what ot say.

I hate the question why should we hire u too! I was shocked to not be asked "do u hav any other questions?!"

Now I have to write an "action plan" for another job I am interviewing for! What the hell is that?

~boots~
07-21-06, 10:37 PM
good luck Casper :-) I am sure something positive will happen soon:p