View Full Version : Dumb question - wireless network

KarenPA
07-17-06, 06:36 PM
I have an HP laptop and a Dell desktop. I purchased a linksys router and the wireless card for the laptop. The router is connected to the desktop, do I still need a wireless card for the desktop also??? I cannot get them to see each other. I'm completely lost.:faint:

Thanks,
Karenpa

FrazzleDazzle
07-17-06, 06:40 PM
No, I think you have the right setup. Call HP first to have them walk you through the configuration, if they are not talking to each other, then you might have to call lynksis to get their configs. Went through this with ours a year ago. A pain, till you get it set!

Animal
07-17-06, 06:44 PM
I think I know what you mean here. You have connected the router to the desktop via a network cable. In this case you don't need a wireless card for the desktop.

Which port is the desktop plugged into?

My routers have a modem input, plus 4 physical lan connections. You need to be plugged into one of the 4 ports there.

Can you connect to the router from the desktop? usually the address is 192.168.1.1, but this should be in the routers instruction book.

If you have it all connected up correctly, and the wireless card running on the laptop, you may need to setup a local network in your settings if you want to share files / printers. How to do this depends on the operating system you have.

Sorry if this is all really confusing, it's rarely as simple as the salespeople make out when they sell you the products!

With some more info from you it shouldn't be too hard to work out where the problem is.

Animal
07-17-06, 06:47 PM
No, I think you have the right setup. Call HP first to have them walk you through the configuration, if they are not talking to each other, then you might have to call lynksis to get their configs. Went through this with ours a year ago. A pain, till you get it set!
I setup my first router a few years ago so I could use my xbox for online gaming.... what a nightmare! Xbox Live is very picky as far as ports and settings, and many routers just would not work with it.

KarenPA
07-17-06, 07:11 PM
I unhooked the modem so I could get back on the internet. Will you guys be available tomorrow during the day? I can hook everything back up and get the laptop nearby to work through some of this. My brain is shutting down right now, been having anxiety attacks this afternoon. Yee Ha!

Anyway, I'll be better able to focus on the setup then. I do appreciate any help I can get on this. It's been a source of extreme frustration:confused:

Thanks All,
Karenpa

Animal
07-17-06, 07:26 PM
Tomorrow my time I'll be around. I'll keep an eye out for you posts tonight.

Another thing worth mentioning:

When you plug your modem into something different you will need to restart it. Depending on your ISP you may also need to wait a short time (up to 15 mins) for it to connect bact to the network.

KarenPA
07-17-06, 07:35 PM
OK. Thanks, I'll try it tomorrow when I'm in a better frame of mind.:eyebrow:

Animal
07-17-06, 07:51 PM
OK. Thanks, I'll try it tomorrow when I'm in a better frame of mind.:eyebrow:
My pleasure. I understand how you feel, especially when it comes to computer problems. :o

KarenPA
07-30-06, 03:18 PM
I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to you about the wireless network thing. My sister borrowed my laptop to take on vacation so I should have it back in a few days.

*~ žEEK ~*
07-30-06, 05:01 PM
Hi Karen,
I have owned 3 Linksys routers as well as several wireless ones and the wireless ones can be quite tricky to set up.

Below is the most basic & simple directions that I could locate for you.
http://www.tech-faq.com/setup-linksys-router.shtml

If you have problems beyond the directions in the link I've provided, please post here again and try to be as specific as possible about the problem you are having, the model # of your Linksys router, the type of Internet connection you have (Cable, DSL, etc.) ok? :)

BTW, you will need to hook your desktop PC up to the router using an Ethernet (LAN) cable the first time you configure your router. That's assuming that you already have a NIC card in your desktop PC! Most desktops do not come with wireless NIC cards.

Also, it works best to always have at least 1 desktop hooked up directly (With a LAN Cable) to the Linksys router for trouble shooting purposes! Then if you have additional desktops you can purchase wireless NIC cards for each one of the other desktops if you do not want to run wires to them.

Lastly, you must also have a wireless NIC card in your Laptop to connect wireless to the router.

Have a great day! :)

toastermax
10-17-06, 06:43 AM
first thing, does your desktop have a LAN connection? not a modem connection, looks the same (like a telephone plug connection) but its bigger. If you have a LAN connection, then you need a network cable, may have come with your high speed modem. If not , it may have come with the router. If so, connect the network cable to the pc and one of the open lan ports on the back of the router. you should get green lights on both the router port and the back of the desktop where the cable is plugged in. If that is the case then you should be good.

Then click the start button-->choose RUN--> type CMD in the space provided-->Enter-->type the following ipconfig /renew -->this should cause some numbers to appear on the box that you typed into. Close it out and then open internet explorer. you should be fine now. If not, post here and we can figure it out.

DAMN, JUST REALIZED HOW LONG AGO THIS POST WAS MADE. OH WELL.