View Full Version : how to get doc to listen...

JustNeedHelp
07-19-06, 09:37 PM
any ideas on how to get doc to listen ive tried EVERYthing but desoxyn and dexerine and from what ive heard they are both very effective but i know i will never get put on desoxyn and i dont want to be put on it! but my doctor is so... uh i dunno she just is... not really (in my point of view) not willing to listen to me! how or who to go to, to get heard!

livinginchaos
07-27-06, 11:47 AM
That sucks, JustNeedHelp.

If you don't feel like she's helping you or she's not willing to listen, I suggest looking for another doc.

If that's not a possibility, I suggest you research and write out why you don't want to try desoxyn and why dexedrine might help you and next time you see her bring it with you. Make sure you give her concrete reasons such as side effects, drug interactions, etc.

Best wishes!

Courtney

JadeEmperor
08-03-08, 03:36 PM
You know... this doctor not listening (and insufficient dosage) seems like a problem that crops up all too often. I should randomly sample a couple of hundred threads here and see what the percentage is of messages that mention doctors not listening and not prescribing medications effectively. I will wager it's a surprisingly high percentage.

One tactic that's worked once is to talk to your pharmacist about your experience and the medication and then tell the doctor what the pharmacist said. This is an extension of My Rule #1: always chat-up the pharmacist. [edited by Jade Emperor: In fact let's just make that My Rule #2: always select your pharmacist's most supportive remarks and quote them to your doctor.]

What's really needed here is not so much the freedom to change doctors but better informed doctors to choose from. And sometime it's not all that easy to change doctors; 'cause of the expense (for those who pay their own medical bills) or even the availability of doctors competent with ADD. And while the doc may have spent a half an hour in the last three months on my case and spent a lot of time studying everything else but ADD in school, I'm on my case 24/7 and have been for over half a century - the success of the therapy is a sincere concern of mine. If the doc doesn't listen to their patient then they are treating something that they read in a text book in school or some picture in their head and not a real person - especially with ADD where the presentation and response to medication is all over the scale. Such an unthoughtful or triage-like medical practice might work with hypertension and blood-pressure medication but doesn't really cut it with ADD/ADHD and sympathomimetic medications. If fact, it annoys me that even though a doctor will trust you out the door with (in the US) a Schedule CII, that the same doctor somehow will not trust your report of how you feel and what you want!? What's happening -- I think -- is that a lot if not most all doctors never (ab)used anything but alcohol or have dispensed anything besides pain-suppressants or tranquilizers and so they assume without thinking it through that ADDers can be modeled as drunks who's question about another drink is indication that they've had enough or a pain-control case where if they are not writhing in pain then they are getting enough medication. And, of course, the doctors don't have ADD/ADHD do they? ...the medical degree kind of proves that, I'd think. At the end of the day, what do they really know about it? ...many don't even have much clinical experience with ADD yet. (My apologies to the doctors out there who know what they are doing with this... clearly, that's not who I'm talking about).

Maybe a new bumper-sticker is in order, "Just 'cause I"m ADD doesn't mean I'm stupid".

Louder Than Love
08-04-08, 10:45 AM
One tactic that's worked once is to talk to your pharmacist about your experience and the medication and then tell the doctor what the pharmacist said. This is an extension of My Rule #1: always chat-up the pharmacist. [edited by Jade Emperor: In fact let's just make that My Rule #2: always select your pharmacist's most supportive remarks and quote them to your doctor.

This is SO true it's nearly scary, even if you don't actually talk to your pharmacist, just telling the doc you have will generally get thier attention quicker than saying "the new england journal of medicine is on the phone".

and charting, Docs LOVE charts. I made one this past month, and intend on telling him EVERY SINGLE bad side effect to Adderall, and that the pharmacist told me ( even though he didnt, hours and hours upon hours of research told me) Dexedrine 15mg Spansules Twice a day, rather than 10mg's TID of adderall, would not only be "about the same amount" but that the dexedrine would last longer, and I wouldnt have the same "crash" effect that I felt from the adderall.

And, he'll start writing, always does.

JadeEmperor
08-04-08, 05:24 PM
...quicker than saying "the new england journal of medicine is on the phone"

I got a chuckle out of that one.

I love Wikipedia as a reference resource - why... when I was a kid ya' actually had to drive to the library to look things up (no... really). But you can click here, read and become wise:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosenhan_experiment

So... I got a new doctor today and apparently he's one of the Mythical Good Doctors. He took a look at my previous dosage (20mg Dex. 2X / day) and said that wouldn't work 'cause that stuff practically went to zero after four hours so he would put another 20mg in to fill out the day. He said that I should work the 20/20/20 around some and see if 30/20/10 or 20/30/10 might work better. Ah... he also said that there had been studies recently done with 150,000 people looking for problems with the medications exacerbating pre-existing heart conditions and that none where found and that he once had a elderly patient with many serious health problems including hypertension and other cardiac issues who was taking 100mg/day with no negative impact(s).

It's comforting to be able to honestly say, "yeah, doc; that's what I was thinking, too".

Once, when I was writing a check to a clinic, I found myself asking myself who it was that these people thought that they were working for (anyway) and in a moment of lucidity I saw that, mostly, they work for your insurance company. And, therefore, they tailor their standard practice to the image that the insurance company has of a "standard" practice (mind you that the insurance company people were business majors, not doctors) and - I believe - they all do this without giving it a whole lot of rational thought (the doctors, that is, as I'm sure the insurance company has their part well thought through to their bottom line). This dictatorship of the insurance companies in medicine is a recent development historically - like in the last 20 or 30 years. Not, I think, a step in the right direction. Medicine is still, after all, more of an Art than a Science.

chsguy88
11-10-08, 07:14 PM
It does suck when a psychiatrist doesn't take you seriously or thoroughly listen to you. Especially in psychiatry, theres only so many 'tests' doctors can give to get a diagnosis, and the majority of the tests involve you to be completely honest about your feelings. For a psychiatrist not to beleive you, in my eyes, seems useless to see.... So, congrats on getting the new doc!

I'm not positive on this, but i'm willing to bet the majority of people out there don't do their own research on the medications they're on, other medications that are used to treat the same problem, as well as other things such as dose. So many people now a days just put all their trust in the doctor, dont care what the doctor prescribes, doesnt even read the patient info card that comes with the script, etc....

Coming from a 20 year old guy that was a student at college where more students were at parties on saturday than in class the whole week combined.... ADHD medication is pretty much one of the highest abused drug on campus. That being said, coming from a college aged person myself, the doctor has to be skeptical. It would be nice for doctors to trust all of their patients, especially the ones who care enough about their health care to research what they're taking, other alternatives, dosages, etc; but in a world where people go to doctors to get medications for reasons other than they're personal health, doctors have to be cautious. They are writing a prescription for a schedule II controlled substance, which is serious in the wrong hands. goodluck with the new MD and the med changes!