View Full Version : Adderall XR and weight loss

Frangible
07-20-06, 03:45 AM
I'm curious and not finding much data on PubMed for human studies, so I'd like to do a mini-poll. How many people have lost weight while on Adderall XR? How long did this last? Did you ever start gaining it back?

Me: I've been on it a week now and have lost 4 pounds :D Most being water weight I'm sure.

EddieAnton
07-20-06, 06:29 PM
I have been on Adderall xr 15 mg for 6 weeks now. My Doctor just increased my dose to 20 mg. The funny thing is since I started this medication my appetite has increased, I am eating much more than before, but yet I lost 10 pounds. This med makes me hungry all day.Eddie

Attainathon
07-20-06, 06:39 PM
My first year on Adderall XR starting at 15 and ending at 30 mg, I lost a total of 35 pounds, which was a positive thing... However, at the same time I made a concerted effort to eat better but the decreased appetite from the Adderall helped tremendously... Any day that I skip a dose my appetite is out of control..

Still at 30 mg almost 3 years later, I still do find that my appetite is pretty non-existent for the better part of the day but the weight loss significantly tapered off after the first year.. More than likely because when I am hungry, it is later in the day and I make choices that are "easier" but maybe not as prudent.. Also a factor may be that I am now at a more ideal weight for my body type, but who knows?

agh99meg04
07-23-06, 01:43 AM
I've been on Adderall XR 20mgs 2x a day for a year and a half. I lost 40lbs. during that year. For the last six months though, I'm still on the same dosage but the weight loss has more or less stopped. My weight varies by 3-4 lbs. now. As Attainathon mentioned, I am now at a better weight for my frame. I'm 5'6 and started at 173lbs - now I seem to stay between 133 -137.

LindaLexington
07-23-06, 12:20 PM
Aagh99meg04 did you have to exercise to lose all that weight or was it just the loss of appetite from the adderall?

agh99meg04
07-24-06, 01:43 AM
No exercise - just a side effect of the adderall. When I first began taking it, the sight and smell of food made me nauseous. I also attribute it to drinking MUCH more water!! And since my level of concentration and focus improved - I became more physically active and not so afraid to go out and do things without having to worry my adhd would rear it's head at a very inopportune moment!!! :p

panthoot
07-24-06, 06:07 PM
I started taking Adderall about 4 or 5 months ago, and I've lost 20 pounds. While I've definitely eaten less since starting Adderall (absolutely no overeating), the loss for me is probably also attributable to the fact that I can't tolerate alcohol on it. I went from being a fairly heavy reguiar drinker for the past few years, to not even having so much as a sip of wine once a month. It's funny- I don't even miss it.

Oddly, when my appetite dwindled, the only thing that consistently sounded good was ice cream. I've lost 20 pounds eating little more than Haagen Dazs. Heh.

JimiT20
08-06-06, 07:25 PM
I lost 20 in like 45 days....im alright now though i started eating.

KFabulous
09-02-06, 10:48 PM
I have only lost 3 lbs so far but it has only been 2 weeks on 10 mg of XR. I have even been eating more than usual. I don't really have much to lose anyway. But none the less I feel great!

HugoinTN
09-04-06, 01:14 PM
I've been on Adderall for three weeks and I'm concerned about weight loss. I have a persistant dry mouth that pretty mjch robs the taste of anything. Also from time to time I get mouth ulcers that makes eating uncomfortable.

I suplement my diet with protein drinks and more liquid. I hope this goes away soon, because I like to eat.

sweet pea
09-20-06, 04:42 PM
I'm still in the stages of finding the right meds and dosage. I'm on my third day of Adderall XR on 40 mg and find that my appetite has definitely decreased. This is definitely unusual for me as I love to eat all sorts of carbs and chocolate... Come to think of it, I haven't eaten anything today at it is nearly 4pm. I just didn't notice. :S

C.

LacyLew
09-26-06, 12:31 AM
I've been on Adderall XR for 10 months now. I drank lots of water but my eating habits didn't change much. I only lost about 5 pounds.

In the past couple months, I've noticed that the weight has come back. For me, it wasn't an effective weight loss tool (drat - I could lose a good 10 pounds or so) but the other benefits of Adderall to me are very good.

hibby
02-26-07, 11:21 AM
my seven year old was started on 10 mg , then 15 mg daily of Adderal XR, lost nearly 15 lbs within a two month period, total loss of appetite, just the site of food made him nauseous.

Sun Shine
03-12-07, 03:33 AM
I started Adderall last June and lost 30 pounds in 6 months (a lot of that was pregnancy weight so possibly came off easier). Then after that it completely stopped and I gained back 10 pounds. I have a huge appetite now.

And I just started thinking that maybe this is a sign that the meds aren't working? Because now that I think of it I'm back to my old forgetful, slow, frustrated self. And maybe the weight gain is the first sign??? I'm not sure. I'm so busy and just haven't been taking the time to pay attention to any symptoms.

I'm going to try the tips on this site for what foods not to eat etc. to make sure I'm using it to the best of it's potential. (BTW I love this board!!)

jawglasswell
03-12-07, 11:15 AM
Been on it for a little more than two weeks. I also lost a bit of weight. It's fine though. I have no problem eating though. I actually look foward to eating because it raises my mood instead of just sitting there with no food in my stomach on adderall. This makes me very crabby.

Parafly
03-12-07, 11:44 AM
Hmm my appetite didn' tchange much. i find myself not thinking about food as much - usually my thoughts jump from thing to thing, like "whats for lunch, gotta get a fax, oops need to make a call, whats for lunch?"

Anyways, I have been eating little less than normal. Definately not snacking. I have lost just under 10 pounds in two weeks. not bad, I am 5'10 and 198 now. I want to get to 180 - 185.

mom23
03-12-07, 02:23 PM
I've been on Adderall XR (30mg for the first 6 weeks, just went up to 40 on Friday). I've lost about 18 pounds, which tickles me pink...I wanted/needed to lose about 30-40 when I started.

Partly, it's because my appetite has gone wayyyyyyy down. I actually *forget* to eat! That's amazing for me ... I was a constant grazer.

More importantly, though, I'm not grabbing high sugar/chocolate snacks to self-medicate. My sugar intake has dropped dramatically, as has my caffeine intake (and I was notorious for having sugary snacks like donuts or, even worse, hostess snack cakes with my coffee)!

I'm also not sitting at the 'puter hyperfocusing as much, so I'm moving around more ... I'm sure that helps.

I'm trying to be very conscious of making sure I'm getting enough protein, though ... when I don't I get very grumpy, anxious, weak, tired and nauseous. I've taken to keeping protein bars and shakes in the house, and once or twice a week treating myself to a Jamba juice with a protein boost. Yum. I haven't eaten yet...I'm off to Jamba!

Good luck!
mom23

shane71475
03-13-07, 03:43 PM
Ive been on adderall about 6 months (10mgxr 3 times a day) and I have probably lost about 10 pounds on it. I wasnt really overweight to begin with (5'3, F, 125 lbs) and now im holding at about 115. Im not complaining though, always willing to shed some lbs although I do feel my appetite coming back so now im gonna have to watch that.

Nocturnal
03-13-07, 04:11 PM
I'm oveweight and have an extremely hard time losing weight while on Adderall. I just eat a lot after it wears off.

cloud1
03-13-07, 07:25 PM
Yes Love the weight loss. Keep it coming!:D I've lost 9 pounds in two weeks. Yeah me. I eat, I just don't pig out anymore and snack all the time.But with the appeitite thing I think I could go for days without eating if I wanted to,not that I would. It was a weightloss drug in the 70's I think. I think it is working wonders for my ADD though.

Nocturnal
03-13-07, 07:27 PM
What do you guys snack on? I often times don't even get hungry and don't even bother with eating. I normally just drink a lot of water. If you guys have any snack ideas, I'd love to hear them. I'd love more than anything to lose weight.

I often times do not eat anything all day and then once the medication wears off, I pound a huge dinner.

spacedout
03-13-07, 08:17 PM
Hi Guys,

I have lost about 3-5 pounds on Adderall, and I've been on it for 2-3 months. My weight has been holding steady for the last month or so. It's probably not too healthy not to eat all day long and just drink water, even if you are trying to loose weight. You might really screw with your metabolism. At the same time that I just said that, I know it's hard to motivate yourself to eat while on Adderall. I make sure to get a good breakfast, and I try to eat at least one or two more times before the day is over. At night I do start eating more, but it's a bit less of an all out binge now that I make sure to eat during the day. I haven't been loosing weight lately, but at 5'3'' and 112 I really shouldn't be.

If you are overweight, then weightloss is good, but only if it's done in a healthy and sustainable way. Otherwise you might be worse off in the end.

Sorry if this was said or somehow addressed already, I only read the last few posts.

spacedout
03-13-07, 08:18 PM
Oh, and I just re-read the last post, so. . . yeah, it seems like you already were feeling like that. I don't know if what I eat would help, since my goal is not to loose anymore weight (I went down to 108 on ritalin and it wasn't cute). I like to eat whole foods, like full fat milk and mayo and stuff (god, it sounds gross just to type that) but I have accustomed myself to those things so that I don't have to buy new clothes.

good luck!

cloud1
03-13-07, 08:41 PM
What do you guys snack on? I often times don't even get hungry and don't even bother with eating. I normally just drink a lot of water. If you guys have any snack ideas, I'd love to hear them. I'd love more than anything to lose weight.

I often times do not eat anything all day and then once the medication wears off, I pound a huge dinner.I eat a cereal bar for breakfast, usually a banana for snack, a light lunch like a can of tuna,I snack on nuts or crackers in the afternoon, then a bowl of cereal for dinner or just eat a light dinner...then a multivitamin.

I think as long as you are eating something every couple of hours it won't mess you up with your metabolism, and eating protein and some fiber keeps you full for when the Adderall wears off so you don't binge.

Adderall has just made me make healthier food choices and not want junk.

Nocturnal
03-14-07, 01:11 AM
What type of cereal bar do you eat? Are they those meal replacement bars? I bought a few meal replacement bars by Kellogs and boy let me tell you, they taste like utter crap. If you can recommend something I'd really appreciate it.

spacedout
03-14-07, 04:24 AM
clif bars are by far the best 'nutrition bar' type thing i've eaten. got me through plenty of no-appetite days. however, i ate the chocolate chip version so many times i got really sick of it. now i'm on to cookies and cream.

stimpysuzie
09-09-07, 03:27 PM
This is the first post I have found where peeps talk about weight loss as a bad thing as well as a good thing.
I was 170 pounds when I first came to Canada, 9 months later and I am underweight at 135lbs. I am 5ft 11in and feel like crap at this stage.
I have taken 40 mg of Adderall for the last 6 months and didn't even konw until my wife told me I was on two 20mg and not two 10mg ! Thats how much I pay attention !
I have completely changed on the adderall and most of it is not for the good.
I focus at the wrong times of day on the wrong things. I hate to change task which is not good seeing as I am a sub contractor ( int/ext painting )
My moods are ridiculously unstable and if I even look at anything stronger than beer I go slightly mental!!
Last night I kicked my wife out and told her not to come back ( I was a tad drunk )
I am dreading going back to bouncing off the walls and having people comment on how different I am but at the same time its destroying my marriage because the rebound ( I am on XR ) is brutal. I know its not supposed to happen but by god it has happened with me from the first day I took it.
The good things are that I only like healthy food now and I don't stress about work the night before.
Anywho I can't afford to lose any more weight cause I am down to a size 8 uk. I haven't been that size since I was 12 !
I will leave it at that for now
Later Later
Suzieq

Nocturnal
09-10-07, 02:20 PM
Well Suzie, I can't say the same for myself. I've gained weight. My blood pressure has increased and I sometimes do have that rebound myself. I deal with it though. It it's affecting your marriage though that's definitely something you want to bring up with your doctor.

heycarlgoodtoseeyou
09-11-07, 02:51 PM
I've lost about 9 lbs in approximately a month since starting with Adderall. Like some others, I've also been making a concerted effort to exercise, eat better, and sleep more.

Adderall itself has cut out the snacking that I do while I'm at work. I think at times I'm not eating enough, so I've been making sure to eat a healthy snake like nuts or fruit a couple hours after dinner. I want the weight loss to be healthy weight loss, and not from lack of nutrition.

Getting more sleep has helped with the rebound effects and because the rebound effects have gone away I'm able to work out after work. So basically everything ties in together.

supersomeone
09-26-07, 08:39 PM
been on adderral for about 6 years about i would say ever since end of middle school and highschool (highest dose times) my appitite has well left most of the time last year i would not be hungry at all this year a little bit i do not like eating lunch in the lunch room so i do not eat lunch i will eat in the morning and maybe a power bar and stuff during the day will you gain the weight back umm idk lol i never had but i am sure a week or two off the stuff and there would not be a problem :) lol

sox2112
09-27-07, 04:13 AM
ive been on adderall maybe since mid july of this year. 25mg xr and added 10mg ir about a month ago. went from 185 when i started in july to about 161 (weighed myself yesterday). im 5'8" 21 yr old male. i was pretty overweight before i started and now im down to what i should be, maybe a little under

JustinL
09-27-07, 03:58 PM
ive been on adderall maybe since mid july of this year. 25mg xr and added 10mg ir about a month ago. went from 185 when i started in july to about 161 (weighed myself yesterday). im 5'8" 21 yr old male. i was pretty overweight before i started and now im down to what i should be, maybe a little underWell considering Im 21, 5'8" and about 120 lbs, I'd say 161 is definitely not under, so dont worry about that. Just try to eat as well as you can, and do weight training as well no help avoid any muscle breakdown that usually accompanies weight loss.

Eden
10-01-07, 05:32 PM
I have been on Adderall xr 15 mg for 6 weeks now. My Doctor just increased my dose to 20 mg. The funny thing is since I started this medication my appetite has increased, I am eating much more than before, but yet I lost 10 pounds. This med makes me hungry all day.Eddie

this happened to me when I was taking concerta I went on adderall...my appetite is not as intense anymore. I am releived because I never ate that much to begin with. Now I feel like am back to normal.

HannahC180
03-02-11, 10:59 AM
I've been on Adderrall Xr for about a month now..lost 20 pounds.. i would have lost more but i was prescribed 15 mgs and i realized that doesnt do much up anything so i'm taking to capsules which equals 30 mgs. at fist 30 mgs was overwelming but i'm used to it now and enjoying the weight loss and concentration. I've have taken adderrall in the past for about 5years..i go back and forth. i noticed in my past relationship it caused me and my ex to have anger problems, so i stopped for a couple of years. Towards the end of our relationship i gained about 60 pounds...and started doing poorly in school. so that's why i am back on it now. i need to be successful in college and get back to a healthy weight. i am 19 and weigh 147 now. i used to weigh 167. i know, im a fat cow...but im losing it to get back down to my original wieght, 100. so far so goood =]

tired tired
03-03-11, 06:32 AM
Adderall was first invented to treat obesity not ADHD.

It was called Obetrol for obesity look up that name

then the name was changed to

Adderall to treat Add

it was found the risks to take obetrol were too high compare to the benifits so the FDA banned obetrol, the original company was going to stop manufacturing it anyways, because of little profit.

then Shire bought the original manuf company (rexar i think).
changed the name to adderall and marketed for ADHD instead

thats when they made billions. Adderall put shire on the map.
but they kicked adderall and sold it to barr (part of teva) after adderall (ir) went off patent.

Shire bought the company that invented vyvanse (new river pharma) in hopes that it bring profit like the golden days of adderall.
but no, people are resistant. they hate vyvanse cause it is not even close to adderall
and prefered to pay 600 dollars a month for adderall xr (after shire raised the price and lowered the quality).

while (barr) teva changed their formula for the brand adderall ir and they changed the even the barr generic ir to something not even close to the quality of the original adderall brand formula (AD) imprint.