View Full Version : urine test

bently
07-20-06, 07:13 PM
ok i searched and couldnt find my answer so here goes. i worked offshore on a crewboat in the gulf of mexico for 3 1/2yrs. i was tested at least 2 times a month (urine) i never showed positive for anything. i was on 60mg/day ritalin. now yesterday i was rehired by the same company and drug tested pre'employment. im now on adderall. which now that im home and researched it shows up as amph. which it is. the Dr. said just fax him my med. records and all is fine. however ritalin and adderall and all other stimulant type drugs are banned by the coast guard. so my question is this why doesnt ritalin show up and adderall does? this Dr. who did my test said the ritalin should have showed up. i said well in at least 60 tests over 3+yrs it didnt. he said well it may not have shown up in a amount to cause a response from the tester.oh well sorry so long im just frustrated. thanx Bently

Attainathon
07-20-06, 08:53 PM
My company required a drug test and i was concerned about the Adderall showing up as well.. When I expressed my concern at the lab, they informed me that all i needed to do was prove i had a legitimate prescription of indeed it showed up.. I provided them with my prescription bottle which was sufficient however having taken my Adderall early in the day and the test was late in the day, nothing showed up..

They also informed me that had the Adderall showed up, as long as I was able to provide the proper prescription proof they were under no obligation to inform my employer that anything at all was detected...

As long as I was legally taking the Adderall they would simply report to the employer that I passed the drug screening and no more... I could be wrong but I do recall them explaining that they would not be able to legally disclose my medication history to my employer provided I was not taking anything illegally...

fasttalkingmom
07-20-06, 08:56 PM
ok i searched and couldnt find my answer so here goes. i worked offshore on a crewboat in the gulf of mexico for 3 1/2yrs. i was tested at least 2 times a month (urine) i never showed positive for anything. i was on 60mg/day ritalin. now yesterday i was rehired by the same company and drug tested pre'employment. im now on adderall. which now that im home and researched it shows up as amph. which it is. the Dr. said just fax him my med. records and all is fine. however ritalin and adderall and all other stimulant type drugs are banned by the coast guard. so my question is this why doesnt ritalin show up and adderall does? this Dr. who did my test said the ritalin should have showed up. i said well in at least 60 tests over 3+yrs it didnt. he said well it may not have shown up in a amount to cause a response from the tester.oh well sorry so long im just frustrated. thanx Bently
Don't have an answer for you, just a comment. I'm a bus driver and stimulant type drugs are banned also. I was taking Ritalin (not realizing at shouldn't be) and had many urine tests, nothing ever showed. I stopped taking stimulant meds. I wasn't comfortable along with other reason..............

Attainathon
07-20-06, 08:59 PM
Just to add to my previous comment, this could be an entirely different case because of the nature of your job/employer.. I am just wondering if the restriction also applies to legally prescribed amphetamines.. I can totally see them mentioning Adderall and Ritalin as 'banned" drugs if not prescribed since the distinction needs to be made as opposed to obvious illegal amphetamines.

fasttalkingmom
07-20-06, 09:17 PM
Just to add to my previous comment, this could be an entirely different case because of the nature of your job/employer.. I am just wondering if the restriction also applies to legally prescribed amphetamines.. I can totally see them mentioning Adderall and Ritalin as 'banned" drugs if not prescribed since the distinction needs to be made as opposed to obvious illegal amphetamines.

It is because of the job I do, legally prescribed amphetamines are a no no. OTC Cough meds are a no no !

bently
07-20-06, 09:45 PM
thanx for all the replys. it is interesting i havent been able to find one person who showed positive for ritalin on a drug screen. but even my pharmacist said it should have shown up. but from what im reading online most say it isnt part of the 5 panel test. also the Dr. who did my test said there is a huge list of drugs that are not allowed onboard the vessels and that if they show up in my system when im tested on the boat id be fired. but most of these drugs stay in your system 3-5days and if i can legally take them when im at home then what right would they have to fire me as long as they dont find me in possesion of the drugs on the boat? we are also required to tell our office of any meds. we are taking and they have to approve them. but doesnt the law say i dont have to tell them as long as they are legally prescribed? ugh. i dont know. thanx again. Bently

Animal
07-20-06, 10:26 PM
I've been told that in my case the Dex would show up, but they could easily distinguish this from illegal drugs.
Does anyone know if there are restrictions on this type of medication if you're a (civilian) pilot?

I've heard that military pilots are given similar medications for long sorties, but they have their own rules.

bently
07-20-06, 10:30 PM
just like w/me ive been told the coast guard has a list of banned meds. i bet ya anything the f.a.a prolly has a list also. im hunting now. bently

Attainathon
07-21-06, 01:33 PM
I emailed a friend of mine, he is a state trooper but and avid boater with a couple CG buddies...

He said that legally prescribed stimulants are not banned by maritime law for employees. But if you are taking such meds, a determination based on your job responsibilities needs to be made that you are able to safely perform your duties.. This also needs to be validated by your physician.. In the event that it is determined you are unable to safely continue in your position, accomodations or reassignemt would then be offered as the next step...

Hope that helps, he said you can also check out the Maritime regualtions manual online, not sure that address but try googling...

bently
07-21-06, 06:25 PM
yes thanx they dont have anything i can find in the marine manual online nor does the coast guard. i did find this link about the faa though kinda interesting. http://www.leftseat.com/medcat1.htm

Chris2
09-01-06, 10:40 PM
All you have to do is stop taking it a week ahead of time, if there random..........then.............:(

http://www.drugtestsuccess.com/drugdetectiontimes.htm
http://www.smartsourcenews.com/drugtestinfo.html

Decemberist
01-24-07, 02:51 PM
Thats very true animal. They give amphetimines to fighter pilots and they are called go pills. They are starting to cut back on this practice due to friendly fire incidents.