View Full Version : Anyone have a good recipe for fresh Salsa?

*~ §EEK ~*
07-30-06, 04:47 PM
I love corn tortilla chips and fresh salsa, but the store bought stuff isn't very good!

Does anyone have a good recipe for fresh salsa?

Thx :)

X-Man
07-30-06, 06:50 PM
I remember going into the place on the Old Mexico style side of town in Corpus Christi when I was a teen. The salsa was different. It had more liquid from tomato juice and tasted very fresh. I liked it much better. Green chilis add a lot of flavor also. Watch for the jalapeno seeds. They are hot all the way through your body.

X-Man

I love corn tortilla chips and fresh salsa, but the store bought stuff isn't very good!

Does anyone have a good recipe for fresh salsa?

*~ §EEK ~*
07-30-06, 07:57 PM
I remember going into the place on the Old Mexico style side of town in Corpus Christi when I was a teen. The salsa was different. It had more liquid from tomato juice and tasted very fresh. I liked it much better. Green chilis add a lot of flavor also. Watch for the jalapeņo seeds. They are hot all the way through your body.

X-Man
You know I was already craving it and now just reading your description made my mouth water! LOL :D

Thx! LOL :)

Faylen
07-30-06, 08:33 PM
I make it all the time. You'll need to set aside some time, because everything needs to be cut really small so you can have all the ingredients in each scoop.

finely chop one small onion, or about 3 Tbsp worth of a larger onion. One green pepper, finely chopped, and about 4 large tomatoes, also finely chopped. Sprinkle on salt to taste, I usually end up with less than a teaspoon. This is not just for flavor, but to bring out the juices of the veggies and mix them together. Stir it all up. You might want to add more tomatoes if you like a really red salsa.

Now, I love to make mine with chipotle peppers, which are dried, smoked peppers. One entire chipotle makes a really hot salsa. Mince it up very, very fine, including the seeds. Then, add the juice of one lime. Then. . .let it sit at room temperature for at least an hour. You can refrigerate if you want, but then it has to sit for at least two hours. Give it an occasional stir and check the salt. Voila! Salsa Fresca!

*~ §EEK ~*
07-30-06, 08:47 PM
Thanks Alison! :)

Does using the "smoked" chipotle pepper make a lot of difference over using the regular green jalapeņo peppers, and would a food processor chop everything up fine enough?

You should have tasted my last attempt at making salsa! :eek: I finally just poured it out and opened a bottle of Pace picante sauce! LOL :D

Faylen
07-30-06, 09:24 PM
Don't use a food processor, or you'll get a puree. Take my word for it, it's icky. Tried it once.

You can use a jalapeno if you can't find chipotles, but it's really not quite the same. Just don't use an ancho, which is a wussy hot pepper, or a habanero, which is so hot, you could practically just wave it over the salsa and make it too hot.

What I do to make things as chopped as possible is to slice them as thinly as I can, then cut across just as thinly (plus one more time for the tomatoes.) And if you have a nice chef's knife, you can just rock it all over the stuff if you want it smaller.

X-Man
08-01-06, 03:08 PM
Hey Seek,

Here is an awsome recipe. Buy the healthy sausage in the one pound roll. Cook it with taco seasoning the same way you do for hamburger taco meet. After it is completely cooked pour scrambled eggs in the mix. Cook it until the eggs are completely cooked. Put a tortilla in a dry hot skillet and spin it with your fingers until it begins to brown, flip it and do the other side. Don't over cook the tortilla. Take the tortilla and put the mix inside, roll it up, pour some of your salsa in the opened end before each bite and enjoy. This is my way of making mexican sausage. I smelled Chorizo, Mexican Sausage, and looked for the seasoning with the same smell. It is the taco seasoning. The meat is much healthier this way. You will be hooked if you try it.

X-Man

Crazy~Feet
08-01-06, 03:39 PM
IMO ya gotta toss in some fresh cilantro to get good salsa, but that's just my 2C as always.

Crazy :cool: (and ya cannot make beans without sofrito either LOL)

*~ §EEK ~*
08-01-06, 08:23 PM
Thanks Everybody! :)

*~ §EEK ~*
08-01-06, 11:19 PM
P.S. If anyone else has a good Recipe for Salsa, please don't hesitate to post it here!

I'm out to find the best Salsa Recipes that I can!

Then I'm going to tailor them to my own tastes! :)

THX :)

crime_scene
08-04-06, 12:19 PM
What? You are going to take all of our hard work and just scrumble them together to come up with completely new concoction???? And not share it???? !!!

Ok, here's mine:

I use a food processor on this one, but just pulse it till I get the texture I want, if you let it go you'll get puree. Not good.

2 cloves garlic
1/2 medium sized onion, quartered
1 or 2 jalapeno chilies stemmed and seeded (actually I use the bottled jalapeno sauce)
1/4 c packed cilantro (or to taste...I like MORE)
1 pound firm ripe tomatoes seeded (I use the roma tomatoes, fewer seeds less watery)
1 tbsp light olive oil
Juice of 1 lime.

Combine garlic, onion, chiles, cilantro and tomatoes, pulse till co****ly chopped. ADD oil and lime juice, pulse till blended and to required texture.

Makes 2 delicious cups. This recipe is unbelieveable with taco chips (er...natch), guacamole and sour cream.

pardon me for laughing....the program editor won't let me type the word c o a r s e l y cuz it has a bad word in it!!! hahahaha

cs

VisualImagery
08-04-06, 03:03 PM
Blend it, Spice it Anyway You Wanna,
You Got the Power to Heat Things Up, Right?
Corn and Bean Salsa
Quick, Easy, Creative and Low fat too!

Prep time without distractions: 20-30 minutes (its the chopping)
Nutrition: High in fiber and other complex carbohydrates, provides complete proteins for vegetarians and others. Other key nutrients: Lycopene, Vitamin C, A, D; plus many others-tastes good and good for you.

1 or 2 cans Rotel brand or store brand-heat your choice
1 can black beans
1 can red beans
1 can pinto beans
or a bean combo of your choice
1 can whole kernel corn-or more if you like
In season-1 diced homegrown tomato
1 tsp Cumin -or to taste, I like much more.
Chopped pepper type and amount your choice-Habanero:eek: , jalapeno, Chipoltle, etc-Live safe, or live dangerous
3 finely chopped garlic gloves-or more to taste
1/4 cup finely chopped onion, red, yellow, or white
1-4 Tbs Chopped cilantro
2 Tbsp Olive oil

Drain and rinse beans and corn. Chop all fresh ingredients, Mix together in attractive serving bowl, chill to let flavors develop, serve with tortilla chips; as a summer cold burrito or tostada with guacamole, sour cream, fresh tomatoes, cheese, olives, lettuce, and so on.

Note: Mash some of the beans if you like to make it "stick to the chip." Be creative with this, and have lots of fun! Make a double batch. Cheap party food that looks gourmet! Impress your friends.

Back Story: This was inspired by a salsa I love at Qdoba, a fantastic "Fast food" Mexican restaurant-cross between high end Subway and a sit down place-serve alcohol and all the food is fresh, meat is grilled in view-superb.

ADD Friendly because... You can mix and match ingredients, in case you are out of something and cannot go to the store. Substitutions: Granulated garlic, dry minced onion, chili powder, any kind of beans you like, leave out the corn, use p****ly, canned green or oother type chili's instead of fresh.

Becky-Listening to my inner Julia Child-The first woman chef on TV-who must have had ADD! OOOH, my finger-when she cut herself on camera. :)

*~ §EEK ~*
08-04-06, 03:17 PM
What? You are going to take all of our hard work and just scrumble them together to come up with completely new concoction???? And not share it???? !!!Isn't that what all cooks do, combine and alter? LOL :D However, if I do come up with anything worthy of sharing I certainly am going to share! :)

My search for a good salsa started when my father came to visit recently and we went out to eat to Jose Peppers! My father told me that he would almost go to a mexican restaurant just for the tortilla chips and salsa because he loves it so much!

Well, it definitely must be a genetic thing because I too absolutely love chips and salsa! I thought to myself, why if the world do I not have a good salsa recipe! Surely it can't be that difficult to make! So, I told my dad that I was going to try and find a good recipe for both of us to enjoy at home!

I could have just started searching on all of the recipe websites on the Internet, but I figured why not just utilize "our" forum (Which I use all the time) and see if anyone here has a good recipe! Maybe all of our ADD taste buds are the same and love that jalapeņo heat! LOL :D And maybe the heat from all the jalapeņos I'm going to eat soon will help me focus better too! LOL :D

Nova
08-04-06, 03:28 PM
Hot n Spicy is 'key' to salsa, as far as I'm concerned.

Gotta have a side of guacamole with it, though.

*~ §EEK ~*
08-04-06, 03:33 PM
Hot n Spicy is 'key' to salsa, as far as I'm concerned.

Gotta have a side of guacamole with it, though.
Thanks Nova! LOL :D

Now I'm hungry for Guacamole AND Chicken wings! LMAO :D

Cut that out! :D

kvrrd
08-04-06, 03:35 PM
Cilantro tastes like old sweatsocks to me - although I agree that a LITTLE bit makes it taste more authentic.
authentic what, i don't know. tex-mex.
Crime scene's recipe is the one, not sure about the proportions though. I like it chunky. and hot.
Coursely co****ly Oh.
quacamole mmmmmm, and tamales - home made.
back to my yogurt...

kvrrd
08-04-06, 03:35 PM
yeah - the editor does filter out ****.

Nova
08-04-06, 03:37 PM
Cilantro always tastes like soap to me. :foot:

Nova
08-04-06, 03:38 PM
That's funny !

There are so many four lettered swear words...it could be any of them, LOL !

I know what you meant though.

lars
08-04-06, 04:27 PM
I do not have a recipe to post here, but I do want to share an idea a friend gave me concerning this subject. It involves growing your own little "salsa garden" as my friend called it.

I was having dinner with my friend and his wife earlier this summer at their farm, and his wife had made the best salsa I had ever had. When I asked about it, my friend said it was so tasty because it was so fresh, and then he proceeded to tell me how I could grow everything I needed to make fresh salsa in a small flower bed, or even in some clay pots on a patio.

This is what my friend's wife does. She grows tomato plants, a few jalepeno peppers, some garlic, some onions, and some cilantro in a little "salsa garden" that is about 3/4th the size of a pool table which is just outside their kitchen. Whenever they have guest come over, or whenever they want some fresh salsa, they go out into their "salsa garden" and they collect what they need for a fresh batch of salsa.

I have been too busy with school to grow my own "salsa garden" yet, but I can say from having grown all the plants listed above that it would not be very difficult for anyone to grow their own "salsa garden" if they wanted to. The only plant that requires much extra attention out of any of the plants listed above is the tomato plant, but I think most people are familiar enough with how to handle growing tomatos. The other plants listed rarely if ever have any problems with insects, birds, fungus, etc. like the tomato plant does.

*~ §EEK ~*
08-04-06, 05:03 PM
Blend it, Spice it Anyway You Wanna,

You Got the Power to Heat Things Up, Right?
Corn and Bean Salsa
Quick, Easy, Creative and Low fat too!

Prep time without distractions: 20-30 minutes (its the chopping)
Nutrition: High in fiber and other complex carbohydrates, provides complete proteins for vegetarians and others. Other key nutrients: Lycopene, Vitamin C, A, D; plus many others-tastes good and good for you.

1 or 2 cans Rotel brand or store brand-heat your choice
1 can black beans
1 can red beans

1 can pinto beans or a bean combo of your choice

1 can whole kernel corn-or more if you like

In season-1 diced homegrown tomato
1 tsp Cumin -or to taste, I like much more.
Chopped pepper type and amount your choice-Habanero:eek: , jalapeno, Chipoltle, etc-Live safe, or live dangerous
3 finely chopped garlic gloves-or more to taste
1/4 cup finely chopped onion, red, yellow, or white
1-4 Tbs Chopped cilantro
2 Tbsp Olive oil

Drain and rinse beans and corn. Chop all fresh ingredients, Mix together in attractive serving bowl, chill to let flavors develop, serve with tortilla chips; as a summer cold burrito or tostada with guacamole, sour cream, fresh tomatoes, cheese, olives, lettuce, and so on.

Note: Mash some of the beans if you like to make it "stick to the chip." Be creative with this, and have lots of fun! Make a double batch. Cheap party food that looks gourmet! Impress your friends.

Back Story: This was inspired by a salsa I love at Qdoba, a fantastic "Fast food" Mexican restaurant-cross between high end Subway and a sit down place-serve alcohol and all the food is fresh, meat is grilled in view-superb.

ADD Friendly because... You can mix and match ingredients, in case you are out of something and cannot go to the store. Substitutions: Granulated garlic, dry minced onion, chili powder, any kind of beans you like, leave out the corn, use p****ly, canned green or oother type chili's instead of fresh.

Becky-Listening to my inner Julia Child-The first woman chef on TV-who must have had ADD! OOOH, my finger-when she cut herself on camera. :)Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Yeehaw! :D

Now this one sure sounds interesting and yummy too! :)

Thanks RADD! :)

Boy I sure am hungry for some mexican food now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL :D

*~ §EEK ~*
08-04-06, 05:06 PM
I do not have a recipe to post here, but I do want to share an idea a friend gave me concerning this subject. It involves growing your own little "salsa garden" as my friend called it.

I was having dinner with my friend and his wife earlier this summer at their farm, and his wife had made the best salsa I had ever had. When I asked about it, my friend said it was so tasty because it was so fresh, and then he proceeded to tell me how I could grow everything I needed to make fresh salsa in a small flower bed, or even in some clay pots on a patio.

This is what my friend's wife does. She grows tomato plants, a few jalepeno peppers, some garlic, some onions, and some cilantro in a little "salsa garden" that is about 3/4th the size of a pool table which is just outside their kitchen. Whenever they have guest come over, or whenever they want some fresh salsa, they go out into their "salsa garden" and they collect what they need for a fresh batch of salsa.

I have been too busy with school to grow my own "salsa garden" yet, but I can say from having grown all the plants listed above that it would not be very difficult for anyone to grow their own "salsa garden" if they wanted to. The only plant that requires much extra attention out of any of the plants listed above is the tomato plant, but I think most people are familiar enough with how to handle growing tomatos. The other plants listed rarely if ever have any problems with insects, birds, fungus, etc. like the tomato plant does.Yeah, I wish it was earlier in the season so I could start one now!

I love vegetables picked fresh from the garden! :)

Honda Shadow
08-04-06, 05:43 PM
Love it love it. Quick receipe. Others sounded good, but you might find this easier.

Buy 2 cans diced tomatoes doesn't have to brand name. I use the one lb cans. Drain a little water off. To this add about 1tbsp of crushed garlic. 2 bunches of green onions chopped, stem and white part. Add pickled jalapenos. Please dice these. Depending on how hot you like your salsa will determine the amount you put in. I put in at least a 1/2 cup plus some juice from the jar of jalapeno. Some people say to add juice from a lime, but this will do just as well. Now what makes salsa is the cilantro!!!! I add at least a heavy 1/2 of cup. I think that's what make it so good. I have add salt to taste. Remember the chips are salty. I usually save my relish jars and fill them and give them to my neighbors. Hope you like this one. Mexican for dinner sounds good. For variations to this you can add a can of whole can corn, drained, and blackbeans. Besure to wash the beans off before you add them to this.

*~ §EEK ~*
08-04-06, 05:58 PM
I'm salivating so much for Mexican food now that I called my GF on the phone and begged her to bring home some mexican food tonight when she gets off work! LOL :D

I would go out to eat, but I have to work tonight! :(

Anyway, thanks for every one of your recipes my friends! :)

crime_scene
08-05-06, 12:03 PM
send some please...(drool)

lars that is a GREAT idea for a little garden!

I wonder if squirrels like garlic?

lars
08-05-06, 01:25 PM
lars that is a GREAT idea for a little garden!

I wonder if squirrels like garlic?It really is a great idea for a little garden.

No, squirrels do not bother it at all. In fact, garlic is one of the few plants that I have ever grown over the years that is never bothered by any kind of animal or insect.

In addition there are some very interesting gourmet garlics out there that you can grow that are rarely if ever found in the grocery store. After it is dried it makes a very unique gift to give to family & friends who like to cook with garlic, and it is such an easy plant to grow. Good luck!