View Full Version : Hi, im new :)

Hyper-active
07-31-06, 04:01 AM
Hiya, im new to the forums

Well as an introduction, my name is Jenn and i am undiagnosed as AD/HD.
I am 13 years old and i just moved to Virginia. I just recently realized what it really was in the seventh grade when all my friends said i was unfocused, or to hyper. In class i could never sit still and liked to shout out random things that just popped into my head. I researched ADD and AD/HD for quite sometime and today stumbled across these forums, and by reading some posts i learned more and more about it :)
Well i took some online tests and from what i can tell, i have most of the symptoms of ADD and/or AD/HD
Just our of curiosity, does depression come from either ADD or AD/HD??
I don't know all there is to know, but I am going to meet my school counslor soon to set up my new classes, and hopefully i will be able to pull her aside and ask her what to do, but the advice on these forums have already and hopefully will continue to help me :)

Thanks,
Jenn

xstarchildx
07-31-06, 07:18 AM
Hi Jenn, welcome to the forums, glad you found this place it has really helped me.

All i can say about Depression and ad(h)d, i have suffered with depression for years and i looked for the cause of it, and bingo i'm getting assessed for adhd, i have now been of anti-deppressants for nearly 2 years now! all because i decided to find out why i was depressed all the time.

Glad your getting help at school, you should find it a bit easier.
Hope you get lots of help from this forum and meet some friends.

Good luck from jo :)

~boots~
07-31-06, 07:34 AM
Jenn..welcome :-) I hope all goes well with your counsellor..
Keep us informed when you get a chance.
It's quite common for girls to go un-diagnosed up until your age. I know I *thought* I was fine until I was about 13 :-)

Hyper-active
07-31-06, 05:37 PM
thanks a lot, yall are all helping me better understand this:)

livinginchaos
08-02-06, 12:38 PM
Welcome, Jenn!!

It's great you've made your way to ADDF! I wasn't diagnosed until I was 21, hopefully the eval will go smoothly and ADHD management can occur asap.

It seems pretty common that depression accompanies ADHD. I think it mainly occurs because of the failures that can coincide with untreated ADHD (unable to manage it).

If you need anything, Jenn, please let us know! Also feel free to PM me anytime.

Courtney

dormammau2008
08-02-06, 09:09 PM
hey jenn you most wellcome here an iam shore you fit right in iam glade you found this forum there so meany lovely peps an so much to leren an do ive found ti great an the freinds you make you keep injoy your stay an know you be wellcome here an understood dorm

Crazy~Feet
08-02-06, 09:11 PM
Love your ava! Are you a Celt?

Crazy :cool:

dormammau2008
08-04-06, 09:13 AM
no iam norweina viking .....l;.)))) dorm

Lipz17
08-06-06, 01:15 AM
Welcome Jenn,we are very pleased too have you here.Please take a look around and any questions or concerns you may have feel free too PM one of us or make a thread!!! This is a great forum!!!

Hyper-active
08-07-06, 12:16 AM
Thanks everyone, your all helping a lot and im glad to know that i can always ask you for advice :) my depression got worse this week tho :(
my friend wasn't feeling well last friday and a few hours later he collapsed and was rushed to the hostpital, they found a tumor in his brain by his spine and its to deep to get out, the doc's say he has a year to live :(
its made me pull back more from my friends and family,but i know i should be goin to them, but i cant, my family doesnt understand it, and my friends, i dont have very many true friends anymore :(

i still cant bring muself to tell my mom that i think i have AD/HD, i know she'll just scoff and say its my imagination, and i cant ask my sister to take me to get a test because i know she will say no and then it will leak back to my parents.
I cant ask a friends mom or dad to take me because i just moved here and havent met very many people, let alone anyone i could ask and trust not tell my parents.
i dont know what i should do about anything, any advice would be appreciated
jenn

livinginchaos
08-07-06, 11:38 PM
Jenn,

I am so sorry that your friend is not doing well.

I'm guessing that you're pulling away, not completely because of depression (although that's definitely part of it), but because you don't want to get closer to your friend when he is going to leave you.

Dealing with death at any age is difficult, to say the least. But, also know that this is a time when your friend needs you. You may regret pulling away from this friend later on, when it's too late to do anything about it.

Do you see a therapist?

If not, I highly suggest it. A therapist can help you work through your depression, you'll be able to discuss this friend, ADHD and ways you can discuss it with your parents.

Anytime you want, Jenn, you can PM me.

Court

Paws13
08-08-06, 06:01 PM
Hiya, im new to the forums

Well as an introduction, my name is Jenn and i am undiagnosed as AD/HD.
I am 13 years old and i just moved to Virginia. I just recently realized what it really was in the seventh grade when all my friends said i was unfocused, or to hyper. In class i could never sit still and liked to shout out random things that just popped into my head. I researched ADD and AD/HD for quite sometime and today stumbled across these forums, and by reading some posts i learned more and more about it :)
Well i took some online tests and from what i can tell, i have most of the symptoms of ADD and/or AD/HD
Just our of curiosity, does depression come from either ADD or AD/HD??
I don't know all there is to know, but I am going to meet my school counslor soon to set up my new classes, and hopefully i will be able to pull her aside and ask her what to do, but the advice on these forums have already and hopefully will continue to help me :)

Thanks,
JennHey Jenn!

Your story sounds kinda like mine; I was diagnosed with ADD when I was thirteen (hence, I'm Paws13), but it was my mom who told me how unfocused and such I was. But you found the right place for support :D

And to answer your depression thing, it doesn't come from ADD. My sister has depression because it runs on my dad's side of the family, but things like death, moving, or other sad things cause it too. And in my case, my depression is from doing things that make me feel guilty.

Hyper-active
08-08-06, 11:10 PM
Thanks a bunch yall, this is helping me so much :)
i decided to ask my mom what ritalin was, i knew what it was but i didnt think she knew i did and i was right, she was all "who do you know on ritalin?" i was like no one i was watching tv and it popped up, and yea so what is it, and she was like, its somthing to calm you down when you can't sit still, i took it when i was a kid, but it didnt help me very much as you can tell. im like okay, wait so you were ADHD, shes like no ADD, no H back then, and i was like oh.
what i dont understand is, why wont she accept i think i have it, if i tell her, she wont take me seriously, she'll say, trust me i know what it is and you definatly don have it, as with every other thing i ask her about. but idk, she says i cant focus because i dont try but i do try, i try really hard, but i cant seem to stick with it.
I just dont know how i can get her to believe me, any ideas would be great
thanks much,
jenn

livinginchaos
08-08-06, 11:16 PM
Jenn,

Have you tried taking an online test? Although those aren't conclusive, you could take one, print it out and give it to your mom.

Does a teacher or guidance counselor at your school also believe you are ADHD?
If so, you could ask for that person to meet with you and your mom to discuss it.

Do you have a psychologist or psychiatrist already? if so, an option there is to discuss it with the doc and pull your mom in to discuss it.

I think it would be good to have a third person present, who is on your side, to help discuss this with your mother.

Courtney

Hyper-active
08-09-06, 03:10 AM
No, at my last school, one of my teachers said i acted like i had it, but she was joking around and being serious at the same time. Now i dont have any teachers or guidance counselor's because truth be told i have only met one person at my new school, and it was the secretary. I have actually only been to the school once, but hopefully i am going again to see the counselor to set up my classes. Maybe then i can pull her/him aside and ask for his expertise on my situation along with maybe a test or two, or plain out ask him to help me get my mother to believe me. I dont think i have a physcologist or physciatrist yet, never really thought i needed one, i think my mom is the only one who does. And i do agree with you, it probably would be a good idea to have a third person present to help me talk to my mom :)
If i plain out tell her when i am with the counselor, she may have no choice but listen, she keeps asking whats wrong because im always changin moods, or ill be dieing of laughter talking about some random thing, then very quickley just shut down, and wont say anything for quite a while. but idk everytime she asks it, i tell her nothings wrong, or i dont know, or i come up with exscuses because i know she wont believe me if i tell her....somehow i know she wont take me to get tested, i told her i cant focus at all, i cant seem to listen, but ill be trying so hard to stay focused! but then ill just drift off to thinking about something else. Ya know, its really weird how that seems to happen all the time, even if im really interested in what they are saying.
Just out ofcuriosity, is it normal to lose interest in what you usually love, like hobbies and stuff, since i moved i have been losing interest in my fav sport, my interest in my friends has gone down, stuff like that....idk just random things i guess, maybe nothing at all. But yea things are getting really difficult, and btw im sorry to anyone reading my posts for them being a to long. I know i cant read these long comments without losing my place, or not knowing what i had actually read, but anyways sorry about the length.
Jenn :)

livinginchaos
08-09-06, 09:16 PM
The reason I was asking about a psychologist or psychiatrist is because you brought up depression in one of your earlier posts, Jenn, and I was thinking perhaps you were being treated for depression.

I just think having a third person will help be a buffer between you and your mom and perhaps explain ADHD to her and why you possible are ADHD.

Losing interest in things you love is typical sign of depression, so is not having motivation to see friends, participate in sports, etc.

I highly suggest that you talk to your mom about seeing someone (psychologist or psychiatrist) regarding depression. If you get in for depression you can also discuss ADHD. Depression (and ADHD) are things to be concerned about. Sometimes depression can work through itself, but many times people need help working through it.

Courtney

PS. your posts aren't long :) Compared to long ones, your's are quite short!

~boots~
08-09-06, 11:27 PM
Jenn, having a parent with ADHD can be a factor for you. You need to tell the Dr when you get and appointment :-)
Good luck
Tracy

Hyper-active
08-14-06, 03:51 AM
i have my appointment with my school couselor tomorrow "Monday"
just setting up my course classes, but hopefully i can talk to her about my concerns.
im kinda nervous tho :/ im afraid to just open up to her
and do they tell our parents what we tell them in confidence?!?!?!
im really fretten about this, but im gonna try it :)
any advice before i go??????
Jenn :)

Hyper-active
09-03-06, 06:20 PM
wow......today has been.....eventful i guess you could say.
i woke up and my mom was there tryin to get me out of bed, and she asked if her friend could borrow my room while she stayed with us....i happily obliged cuz i love her to death, and shes from the place i just left, so she will bring some good memories
but anywaysshe opened my closet to look at how messy it was, but i cleaned it :) im smart, but then again im not so smart lol.... she found my poetry on the door and i tried to stop her but geez she screamed at me and i ran out of my own room screaming! she told me to come downstairs after i was done, so i did, and i got some cereal.....wasnt thinkin well after the frenzy upstairs lol.
she said i mentioned "ending it all" in one of the parts... i was like i meant the bordom, shes like, no you didnt, be serious. so yea after a couple of minutes of me tryin to make up stuff, she finally asked "do you have thoughts of suicide?? I did a few years ago, before i went to see Nancy [her physciatrist or however u spell it], but i need to know.
i broke down after that, i couldnt stand holding it in, but luckily, my parents are taking me to see a phsyciatrist on wednesday. Im not going to tell them about me thinking i have AD/HD, ill talk to the phsyciatrist about it, and get a second opinion, just like a few of you mentioned, it really helped a lot, all in time, things take place :)
but THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!! just so yall know, i really apprieciate it, and hopefully i can help someone like you all helped me, wow i think i am making it sound like i am leavin the forums, but so you know im not lol....sorry i do that sometimes but yea....dinner....yippee tacos :/ oh well, ill sneak in a cookie or two lmao
be back after dinner everyone
Jenn

livinginchaos
09-04-06, 10:50 PM
Jenn,

It's great that you're going to a psychiatrist! I think it will help a lot (especially by helping you talk w/ your parents) :)

Court

Hyper-active
09-09-06, 11:11 PM
yea, i think so to :P

adhdkid39
09-30-06, 12:11 PM
hey jenn i was on aderal when i was in 5th grade i am older now but when was on it it was crazy cause before it i was just like what you explained but once i took it i felt like one of those nerds that would just sit there and like read and you could yell in there face and they wouldn't hear you..thats how i felt but my mom researched it alittle more and in canada they banned it (made it illegal) because some poeple have died from it and heart disease so my mom desided to try homeopathic supliments..

they didnt work at all for me then my mom got on here and asked some poeple for suggestions and the mentioned the "dore" program.. and crawling.... they both work if you have didnt crawll enough when you were a infant.. thats one cause of most poeples adhd.. but the "dore" program is supposed too fix poeples adhd for ever.. it works on a specific part of your brain that causes adhd and im in the middle of it right now.... it will give you a 15 minute exercise for each day and some equipment do to it with so if your interested you could pm me or my mom who nows more a t 1kid2dogs

adhdkid39
09-30-06, 12:12 PM
i like your picture its awsome

adhdkid39
09-30-06, 12:13 PM
sry i ment hyper-active the picture on your posts is tight

Hyper-active
11-01-06, 11:12 PM
oh thanks adhdkid :)
so... anything new going on with yall ??