View Full Version : Not eating enough on Adderall - how big of a problem is it?

WalkingBlur
08-02-06, 02:31 AM
I recently increaded my dosage to 25mg XR once in the morning. And lately I have just been soooo sleepy. I thought i wasnt sleeping enough but slept 10 hours today and was still tired. The only thing I can think of is that I'm not eating enough (im 22, and in college). I run every week too. But unlike when i dont take my meds, I don't ever just sit around and much, I have to force my self to eat. I think I am missing out on a few hundred or so calories a day, which i think can build up...but i really am not sure.

Has anyone else had this issue? I know adderall supresses your appetite but it also is an amphetamine so would this still make me tired?

I would really appreciate any advice as this is becomming a big problem for me.:faint:

freekofnature
08-02-06, 03:45 AM
I can take a pill & then go & take a nap five minutes later, so I don't know if that's any help... oh, but i'm on regular adderall, not xr

panthoot
08-02-06, 04:15 AM
My doctor told me it's very common for people with ADD to feel sleepy on stimulants. I could barely stay awake my first week on Adderall, but fortunately that went away. I did get sleepy again for a bit when I upped my dosage, though. Hopefully your tiredness will wear off soon, but it's not abnormal.

As for not eating enough, it could definitely be a problem if you're not getting the proper nutrition. While it's probably not the sole factor in your feeling tired (a few hundred calories doesn't seem like a huge drop), eating too little can exacerbate the problem by robbing you of extra energy. You might want to make sure you eat something substantial before taking your meds, and maybe taking supplements as well.

lars
08-02-06, 04:53 AM
I have experienced the anorectic effect from each of the stimulants prescribed to treat this dissorder, and the good news is that it does go away in time for most people. For some it may subside in a matter of weeks, but for me it usually took several months for that particular side effect to fade away. Even though that is good news down the road, you still need to get the minimum nutrition needed everyday until that side effect subsides for you. What helped me the most was to drink those Ensure meal replacement shakes. You can get them at most grocery stores as well as most pharmacies. There are even generic versions of them available if the brand name is too pricey. They come in a many flavors, and they also come in a variety of forms like high fiber, or high protein, or high calcium, or even high calorie. They are also very portable and time saving. Granted Ensure is not suggested as a staple diet mind you, so it is important to eat some solid food everyday (I know that's pretty obvious, but just in case it's not I thought I should add that). I hope that this stuff will help to keep you healthy, and active while you experience that anorectic effect from your medicine. It certainlly helped me.

Here is a link where you can print out a coupon for a free sample from the manufacturer of Ensure:

https://ensure.com/registration.aspx?s=sample

Matt S.
08-02-06, 11:14 AM
well I am on dexedrine now and have been on adderall in the past and I can say that with me if I don't eat I get moody and nasty whether there are meds in me or not and that part of the lack of food deal is universal with all stims...been on ritalin,focalin,concerta desoxyn you name it been on it and I get mean and nasty... with adderall I was a lot shakier then with the rest

Nova
08-02-06, 12:41 PM
What helped me the most was to drink those Ensure meal replacement shakes. You can get them at most grocery stores as well as most pharmacies. There are even generic versions of them available if the brand name is too pricey. They come in a many flavors, and they also come in a variety of forms like high fiber, or high protein, or high calcium, or even high calorie. They are also very portable and time saving. Granted Ensure is not suggested as a staple diet mind you, so it is important to eat some solid food everyday (I know that's pretty obvious, but just in case it's not I thought I should add that).

I agree.
Drinking Ensure is an incredibly helpful way, to maintain weight, if you find yourself unable to maintain it while taking Adderall.

It isn't supposed to replace regular healthy meals, though...you're not supposed to rely on it, solely, for nutrition.

Always make sure your Doc knows what's going on, also.

Nova

panthoot
08-02-06, 04:19 PM
How do those taste? I considered getting some of those protein athlete shakes (myoplex, etc) because making smoothies at home is sometimes a pain, but they have the grossest aftertaste. I'd like to find something nutritious and convenient that is easy to get down (I think most of us know how unpalatable most things can seem during the day).

lars
08-02-06, 04:56 PM
They taste great. Why not print out the free sample coupon at the link below and give one a try. You have nothing to lose by trying out a free sample.

Here is the link again:

https://ensure.com/registration.aspx?s=sample