View Full Version : Why do I do this - binging...

TheMiNd
08-03-06, 07:43 PM
Ungh... I just ate 2 8 oz. (medium-large) bags of chips within half an hour over my walk home from work. I know its terrible for me, I know I should stop but maybe once every 2 months I get these uncontrollable urges to just binge junk food. I don't know what is causing it... normally I eat pretty healthy, I've shed at least 2 inches off my waistline in the last 4 months or so. Where do these urges originate :(

fasttalkingmom
08-03-06, 09:55 PM
I know the reason I do this......

Stress
PMS
Emotional issues

Veighen
08-04-06, 12:31 AM
Not sure if it will help, but, usually there is a min calories consumption that every individual must consume in order for your body to function.

I believe it is about 12000 cals, that are req. just so that internal organs will function properly.

Now, factor in, your activity level, age, etc... you may not be getting enough calories.

Or, you may not be getting enough nutritious stabilizing foods, such as complex carbohydrates, lean protein, valuable mineral and vitamins from veggies, dairy, and of course anti-oxidant rich fruits.

When the body is depleated of nutrition for so long.. or low calories for a period of time, the body will in response, be more likely to "binge"

The body begins to feel starved, and will require more then what is normally necessary just to balance itself out.

It is important to eat 3-5 meals a day. 5 is best, with 2 healthy snacks in between.

The body enjoys regular food digestion, this help to stabilize blood sugar levels(proper nutritious food) provide energy, improve mood, and close the hunger gap.

When you eat often, but smaller meals... including a light protein at breakfast(very important) lots of fruits and veggies through the day, and either a light protein at dinner, or lunch(depending on when you are the most hungry) the body will feel (making sure to get enough calories daily) satisfied.

When the body is satisfied, cravings will lessen, as will binge eating.

Remember to:
-Substitute brown for white whenever possible. (breads, rice, pasta, etc)
-No more overly processed foods. Or decrease to at least once every 2 weeks
-Eat often, and balanced, nutritous snacks and meals.
-Eat, and chew slowly... digestion begins in the mouth afterall
-Choose light/lean white protein or fish
-Limit red meat / beef/ to only 2 times per week.

Good Luck!

Lipz17
08-04-06, 01:13 AM
I used too do the same thing.Food was my friend when i was stressed.It caused a lot of health problems for me.I have recently had gastric bypass surgery because of my over eating but i still feel the uges not going to lie but cant as i get very ill.

If you have a lot of stress this may cause it among many other things.Maybe you could talk to your doctor about this.There are many good things you could eat if you are in fear of weight gain.I will be more then happy too help you out,if you would like me too talk with you more feel free to PM me anytime,ok.

TheMiNd
08-04-06, 10:06 AM
I don't know... last night there was no stress, and while my diet (mainly subs from the sandwich shop I work at... 50% off :p) hasn't been all it normally is lately, these binges have occured before when I've been eating fine. Thats the strange part: I can't find a common factor between them...

TheMiNd
08-04-06, 07:54 PM
Could my binges originate from a lack of calcium in my diet? Come to think of it, the only time I really have any calcium intake is the milk I have on my cereal (a rare occassion), the cheese I eat on a sandwich, ice cream (rare), etc...

Last night I had a big urge to eat alot of cheese and I was craving spicy food.. now I have a nasty tendency to sit down and eat a TON of hot peppers at a time. And when I eat the really hot ones, I guzzle milk to cool them down...

Am I thinking too much into this or is it possible I just need to up my calcium consumption :O

Lipz17
08-05-06, 02:25 AM
Do you take a daily multi-vitamin?There is calcium tablets you could take daily as well.

dormammau2008
08-08-06, 03:47 PM
nothing worng in binging your body or mindss needs it for what ever resona that is there times when n if you over do it but now an then then very littite porbelms try not to feel so gulity dorm