View Full Version : "Anti-stupid" pill tested on mice

SamCurt
08-05-06, 11:35 AM
BERLIN (Reuters) - A German scientist has been testing an "anti-stupidity" pill with encouraging results on mice and fruit flies, Bild newspaper reported on Saturday.

It said Hans-Hilger Ropers, director at Max-Planck-Institute for Molecular Genetics in Berlin, has tested a pill thwarting hyperactivity in certain brain nerve cells, helping stabilise short-term memory and improve attentiveness.

"With mice and fruit flies we were able to eliminate the loss of short-term memory," Ropers, 62, is quoted saying in the German newspaper, which has dubbed it the "world's first anti-stupidity pill."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/05082006/80-132/anti-stupid-pill-tested-mice.html

Crazy~Feet
08-05-06, 11:39 AM
Great. The next time I feel like chewing through a toilet roll, or hovering in a mad crowd about a heap of rotting peaches, I have this study to make me feel more secure.

Sheesh.

Crazy :cool:

lars
08-05-06, 11:41 AM
"Anti-Stupid" pill?

Sign me up! :)

william tell
08-05-06, 11:50 AM
WOW that holds promise for 1/2 the nation, the others are too far gone for any quick fix

Crazy~Feet
08-05-06, 11:51 AM
I want a case of these pills to administer to my in-laws. They remind me of mice and fruit flies daily :D.

Crazy :cool:

lunaslobo
02-07-07, 08:47 PM
BERLIN (Reuters) - A German scientist has been testing an "anti-stupidity" pill with encouraging results on mice and fruit flies, Bild newspaper reported on Saturday.

It said Hans-Hilger Ropers, director at Max-Planck-Institute for Molecular Genetics in Berlin, has tested a pill thwarting hyperactivity in certain brain nerve cells, helping stabilise short-term memory and improve attentiveness.

"With mice and fruit flies we were able to eliminate the loss of short-term memory," Ropers, 62, is quoted saying in the German newspaper, which has dubbed it the "world's first anti-stupidity pill."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/05082006/80-132/anti-stupid-pill-tested-mice.html
mabe its just me but this sounds so much like the story, flowers for algernon.

Nova
02-16-07, 01:09 AM
I know what you 'mean', Lobos. (0:

I like the M. Planck Institute, though, and read as many articles as as are updated on their site.

I can handle the possibility of extending the memories of the 'mice', according to this article...but I'm left wondering about the 'fruit flies'...they're really not meant to live long..so I'm wondering how extending their memory is going to 'alter' a whole bunch of 'other' circumstances....

lunaslobo
02-20-07, 09:18 PM
[QUOTE] [but I'm left wondering about the 'fruit flies'/QUOTE] me too i mean how long can we extend the memory of someting that lives only 24 hours. I mean, will we extend the memory after they are dead? only if they have ghosts and that is a scary thought, fruit flies are bothersome enough alive, ghosts, ewww.

MS0178
02-20-07, 10:10 PM
I have a great idea!!! Every time someone goes and gets their drivers license, they should get a script for that pill! What a plesant highway it would be!! lol

FightingBoredom
02-20-07, 11:02 PM
Anti-stupid pill? Sprinkle some on the breakfast food of the governments of the world! :faint:

netsavy006
02-21-07, 09:12 PM
Give me some anti-stupid pills, I want 'em. Now!!!... lolz...

Nova
02-22-07, 01:28 AM
You, do not need it. (0:

netsavy006
02-22-07, 10:12 AM
Thanks...