View Full Version : Anybody's meds trigger Tourettes?

Scattered
08-16-06, 03:12 PM
Hi

I have a brother with Tourettes that he's had pretty much forever, but I only had mild motor tics. My tics didn't get any worse on 36 mg of Concerta for over a year, but when Prozac 10 mg was added to that I got two kinds of eye twitches (one I'd never had before), my cheeks sucked in involuntarily (new also), and I started this chewing thing that I can control for a while when I try to, but which keeps coming back when I'm not resisting, especially if I'm the least little bit stressed. I'm off all medication and caffeine, except the occasional Excedrine and the Prozac is almost out of my system, but the mouth stuff continues although a bit less (the eye twitch is mostly gone). The problem is that my jaw and face hurt because it's so tense and I can't seem to do anything to change that. I'm not even sure if this is Tourettes triggered by the medication (like I said my brother has it and I think my grandfather did too) or maybe Tardive Dyskensia, but it would be an awful rapid onset since if that was the case, since I was only on Prozac just over a month when it started.

If anybody knows anything about this, has experienced something similar, or has any suggestions on what might help, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you,
Scattered

sepialady
08-16-06, 04:29 PM
I don't think that may be Tourettes. I think it sounds more like a nutritional deficiency created by the meds. My information says that Tardive Dyskensia is actually a manganese deficiency caused by long term use of sedatives (the precise class of drugs I can't spell or recall right now).

There is a book out that has the nutritional issues of most drugs. This book is mentioned a lot on another forum I visit.

The eye twitch could be a magnesium deficiency, for example. It sounds like muscle twitching or minor spasms. The problem with your mouth, may or may not be related.

I have some nutritional deficiencies and can experience the need to chew on the inside of my mouth. This can happen for me right after or as I am thinking about taking my supplements. (I feel like Pavlov's dog sometimes. My body knows it is low in nutrients because I am about to take them. And this seems to trigger some for me, I think.)

In the book Enzymes for Autism by Karen Defelice she discusses the "chewies." Her two boys I guess have this problem of wanting to chew on things. I just chew on the inside of my check. But this symptom of wanting to chew things, or having some need to use your jaw muscle seems pretty common.

I think the jaw muscles can be prone to stress or anxiety perhaps because they are located so close to the brain. But the jaw muscle can get tense from low magnesium levels.

I think the meds change your biochemistry which changes your nutritional needs.
Symptoms of Magnesium Deficiency?
What are some of the symptoms of magnesium deficiency? They are outlined beautifully in a recent article by Dr. Sidney Baker. Magnesium deficiency can affect virtually every organ system of the body. With regard to skeletal muscle, one may experience twitches, cramps, muscle tension, muscle soreness, including back aches, neck pain, tension headaches and jaw joint (or TMJ) dysfunction. Also, one may experience chest tightness or a peculiar sensation that he can't take a deep breath. Sometimes a person may sigh a lot.

http://www.mbschachter.com/importance_of_magnesium_to_human.htm

Drinking coffee can also deplete magnesium, I believe. You have cut out caffiene but sometimes making corrections like that is still not enough to correct this problem. You might benefit from a magnesium supplement. You don't have to use just pill supplements; you can soak in epsom salts, you can try using a magnesium salt like Cardia Salt, or use something with magnesium topically (they have a magnesium oil and a magnesium gel).

Crazy~Feet
08-16-06, 05:12 PM
http://www.webmd.com/content/article/89/100384.htm

Who Should Not Take a Stimulant Drug?

People with any of the following conditions should not take stimulants:

Glaucoma (a condition that causes increased pressure in the eyes and can lead to blindness).
Severe anxiety, tension, agitation, or nervousness.
Treatment with a type of medication called monoamine oxidase inhibitors, such as Nardil or Parnate, within 14 days of starting stimulant therapy.
People with motor tics or a personal or family history of Tourette's Syndrome.

Scattered
08-16-06, 06:18 PM
http://www.webmd.com/content/article/89/100384.htm

Who Should Not Take a Stimulant Drug?

People with any of the following conditions should not take stimulants:

Glaucoma (a condition that causes increased pressure in the eyes and can lead to blindness).
Severe anxiety, tension, agitation, or nervousness.
Treatment with a type of medication called monoamine oxidase inhibitors, such as Nardil or Parnate, within 14 days of starting stimulant therapy.
People with motor tics or a personal or family history of Tourette's Syndrome.
I knew when I started stimulents I was in a higher risk category, but the tics didn't start with the Concerta. They started after the Prozac. I don't know if the two combined to create a greater stimulent effect or what. Thanks for the information.

What are some of the symptoms of magnesium deficiency? They are outlined beautifully in a recent article by Dr. Sidney Baker. Magnesium deficiency can affect virtually every organ system of the body. With regard to skeletal muscle, one may experience twitches, cramps, muscle tension, muscle soreness, including back aches, neck pain, tension headaches and jaw joint (or TMJ) dysfunction. Sepialady, I'll read up on the magnesium thing -- I would love for to be as simple as taking a magnesium supplement or soaking in Epsom salts! Tardive Dyskensia is more often associated with anti psychotics such as Thorazine (I'm not taking those nor do I have long term use), but they are also finding some people on SSRI's developing them too. I'd never heard about a magnesium connection, but I'll definately check it out. Both my daughters grind their teeth at night as do I even before meds and one chews on clothes, hair, fingers, etc. Thanks for the info!

The reason I'm unclear about whether it is TD or Tourettes (I have a premedication throat sound that is involuntary but not problematic) is that I found the description of my symptoms under both categories.

Scattered

Crazy~Feet
08-16-06, 06:19 PM
Scatt, may I ask what the vocal tic was like? I may have a similar issue with someone in my life.

C~F :cool:

Scattered
08-16-06, 06:25 PM
Scatt, may I ask what the vocal tic was like? I may have a similar issue with someone in my life.

C~F :cool:
It's one I share with one brother and one aunt. It's kind of an involuntary "enulk" sound. Sometimes I don't even realize I'm doing it unless someone else points it out. As my birth mother pointed out all four of her kids have tics, so I'm sure it's a genetic something or other. It just never bothered me much (although it used to drive my adopted mom and husband nuts!:p ).

Scattered

Crazy~Feet
08-16-06, 06:26 PM
I am wondering if constant throat clearing is similar to a vocal tic? It is non-allergy related.

Scattered
08-16-06, 06:34 PM
I am wondering if constant throat clearing is similar to a vocal tic? It is non-allergy related. I've read that it can be a tic too. I believe it's listed in one of the symptoms lists here.

Scattered

VisualImagery
08-16-06, 10:52 PM
Want to know more about Magnesium? There is more on this link than you ever want to know. The basics? A daily Mg. Supplement is a very good idea. This article is very thorough and will really help anyone who is interested in deficiency, sub-clinical deficiency, food sources, and supplementation.

Contains info on med interactions, immune system, and much more. Your tax dollars at work.

http://dietary-supplements.info.nih.gov/factsheets/magnesium.asp

Becky

Scattered
08-17-06, 11:35 AM
I'm looking it up now -- thanks for the info, Becky!:)

Scattered

sepialady
08-17-06, 11:49 AM
Your throat thing might not be related. And that is good reason to think of Tourettes. But it is possible that meds cause some nutrient depletions, which would explain those other problems. I am not sure about the throat clearing thing.

I know about nail biting and grinding (bruxism). I do know that I don't bite my nails now. I do on occassion want to chew on the inside of my mouth. Nutrient deficiencies they can come back when your nutrient levels drop. The chewing problem for me doesn't usually last that long though.

But grinding your teeth at night can cause dental problems. I do think magnesium can help with this.

Of course you should discuss this with doctor. If you just give magnesium a try it is helpful to talk to your doctor if you think it is working. He can advise you if you need to take any augmenting supplements with that. Or explain if there are problems to watch for. Sometimes taking one nutrient can make you require more of another nutrient.

Scattered
08-17-06, 11:58 AM
What are some of the symptoms of magnesium deficiency? They are outlined beautifully in a recent article by Dr. Sidney Baker. Magnesium deficiency can affect virtually every organ system of the body. With regard to skeletal muscle, one may experience twitches, cramps, muscle tension, muscle soreness, including back aches, neck pain, tension headaches and jaw joint (or TMJ) dysfunction. Also, one may experience chest tightness or a peculiar sensation that he can't take a deep breath. Sometimes a person may sigh a lot.

Symptoms involving impaired contraction of smooth muscles include constipation; urinary spasms; menstrual cramps; difficulty swallowing or a lump in the throat-especially provoked by eating sugar; photophobia, especially difficulty adjusting to oncoming bright headlights in the absence of eye disease; and loud noise sensitivity from stapedius muscle tension in the ear. Other symptoms and signs of magnesium deficiency and discuss laboratory testing for this common condition. Continuing with the symptoms of magnesium deficiency, the central nervous system is markedly affected. Symptoms include insomnia, anxiety, hyperactivity and restlessness with constant movement, panic attacks, agoraphobia, and premenstrual irritability.

Well according to the above I've certain share a number of symptoms. It seems like it might be worth trying a supplement, although since I'm primarily a vegetarian and pretty much of a health nut, it's hard to understand how I could get an insuffient dietary amount. The list of foods high in magnsium looked like my menu plan for the week. I'll let you know how it goes.

Scattered

Scattered
08-17-06, 12:04 PM
I know about nail biting and grinding (bruxism). I do know that I don't bite my nails now. I do on occassion want to chew on the inside of my mouth. Nutrient deficiencies they can come back when your nutrient levels drop. The chewing problem for me doesn't usually last that long though.

But grinding your teeth at night can cause dental problems. I do think magnesium can help with this.Actually it already has -- the dentist said you can see the wear on x-rays of my jaw. I have a night guard I wear. My youngest daughter really has bad teeth grinding. My oldest frequently wakes up with headaches, probably from teeth grinding according to the dentist. If it works for me, I'll try them on a supplement too.

Thanks again for the info!:)
Scattered

mguffey31
08-18-06, 02:12 PM
Scattered,

Get off the Prozac!! I have experienced the same thing. IT IS THE ANTIDEPRESSANT!!!!!!!!!

If you've noticed, and I'm sure you have, the concerta is making your tics better. I don't have time to explain the whole thing right now, but I am going to write a scientific paper on this and many other observations during my journey through medication and will put a copy of it here on the forums.

Once you get off the medication, the problem with stop. Remember, Prozac has a longer half-life than some others so it may not stop immediately the next day!!!! It will stop!!! It may take a day or two!!!

Good luck,

I'll explain later, I'm on to something really big!
You'll hear from me again!

mguffey31
08-18-06, 02:14 PM
P.S. Your jaw muscles will thank you for it!

mguffey31
08-18-06, 02:17 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot. Get back on the Concerta, your dopamine is too low!

Peace!!!

Scattered
08-21-06, 05:33 PM
Thanks McGuffy!!!:) I did notice my tics got better on Concerta and were they got bad very soon after starting the Prozac. I'm actually off everything right now. I wasn't sure whether the Prozac was just showing up the damage done by Concerta (if that was the case) or causing it's own damage (which I suspected). I'll be very interested in anything you learn about or research on this topic. Unfortuantely, I've been off Prozac a week and a half and still haven't fully lost the tics but they have improved. I'm hoping as it gets out of my system totally it will improve more.

Scattered

meadd823
08-22-06, 07:47 AM
Hmmm there is that some thing really big thing again. . . oh don't make the paper too long most of us have short attention spans!

Scattered
08-25-06, 02:20 PM
Tics seems to be lessening -- yeah! I'm not sure if it's just the Prozac leaving my system (takes about 5 weeks to get it all out) or if the Vitamin E and Magnesium are helping. In any case I'm grateful not to have my face tense and hurting. The tics now just seem to pick up when I'm tired or very stressed. I think (hope) I got off medication fast enough that I'm not going to have premanent problems. That's why I think it is so important for doctors and psychiatrists to educate folks about the possible symptoms. Much of this is reversible if you get off quickly enough if problems develop. Sticking with it and hoping they got away is not a good approach.

Of course, off medication, I'm very ADD these days. I think the supplement might be helping at least to keep me alert and feeling good. The distractability and poor working memory remains a problem, but I'm finding ways to work around it. My husband got me a watch with three alarm. One goes off fwhen we have to get in the car to take my daughter to school. One goes off when it's time to pick her up, and one when it's time to put the kids to bed. So far it's helping -- good thing too --- yesterday I was an hour off in my calculations and would have not been there to pick her up!:rolleyes:

Scattered

meadd823
09-07-06, 06:48 AM
Apologies for post #18 it was supposed to end up in another thread, if mods in this area have time please trash my post #18 and this one! I wondered what happen to that post -lol Sorry scattered! (nope no ADD here :o )

CrazyLilTh1ng
09-07-06, 09:22 AM
I have to say, I have only just started meds (ritalin) and I am ticcing like mad. I was never 100% officially diagnosed with Tourettes, just told I most likely have it (by the dr and CPNx2) and they said the Ritalin might make it worse.. well, it has.. but still the tics are not bad enough to have the same extent of detrimental effect on my life that the concentration issues had. I would rather they were less though, I have walked up to town this morning ticcing like mad... thank goodness none are vocal ones right now except the odd "hmmm" noise which I can keep reasonably quiet :S I can live with it, I have had these tics since I was a kid but I would LOVE for them to stop.

Scattered
09-07-06, 11:50 AM
Hope the tics stay at a level you can live with CrazyLilTh1ng. My jaw started getting sore and it drove me crazy, but that was on a combination of Concerta and Prozac.

TC,
Scattered