View Full Version : Desoxyn-Ovation Vs Abott Desoxyn?

alert
08-16-06, 08:43 PM
Hello,

I'm 65' and have narcolepsy@AD/hd. Used to take the Abotts Desoxyn Gradumets 15mg SR tabs 4-5 in the morning, and nothing else all day-for 40 years, (lasted 12 hours)-i felt like a normal person, was diagnosed in 1960, when Desoxyn was called desoxyephindrine, and came in a liquid form, @2.5, 5mg tabs-the Gradumets worked the best, i was able to work from 18yo on~.

Since they were banned, the Docs have me on 4, 5mgIr Ovation brand desoxyns 4x daily-they are far less effective, and i have trouble keeping on task.

Anyone else, have the same issues?

hanks

Matt S.
08-17-06, 02:13 PM
I'd prefer the 5 mg dexedrine (brand name only) to the new desoxyn but I am with you there 100 % with the gradumet tabs being the "best" meds overall but the newer version of 5 mg desoxyn is crap

renrac
09-10-06, 02:27 AM
I cannot compare the "new" Ovation Desoxyn to the the old Abbott, since I was diagnosed with ADHD within the last two years. It sure sounds like the old Desoxyn Gradumet made by Abbott was the best extended release ADHD stimulant ever made. I evaluated most versions of IR and XR methlyphenidrate and amphetamine with my Doctor. Brand Dexedrine IR/Spansule was probably the best of the group, but the Barr generic Dexedrine was horrible. Ovation Desoxyn 5mg works the best of all ADHD meds for me, so I am glad it is available. Even so, it is a difficult medication to dose properly as an immediate release 5mg tablet. I would much prefer the medication in a long acting form with a slow release. Since that option does not exist currently, I have been considering asking my Doctor about mixing Dexedrine Spansules and a smaller amount of Desoxyn. Anyone have any experience with this?

lars
09-10-06, 01:00 PM
Hi renrac, I have not had any experience mixing Dexedrine Spansules with Desoxyn, but I have had experience with mixing Dexedrine IR and Desoxyn. I found it to be a good mix initially (first week or so), but the Desoxyn has a mildly sedating effect on me, and as a result I decided to go back to the Dexedrine IR by itself. I do enjoy the relaxed state that the Desoxyn provided me, but as a full time student I need more of the mental alertness that the Dexedrine allows me.

Even though there currently is no extended release version of Desoxyn available, there are still options concerning that. I would suggest that you talk to your Dr. about the possibility of having a local compound pharmacy in your area mixing you up some extended release methamphetamine HCL (aka extended release Desoxyn).

This is a perfectly legal option, and is usually done when a version of a patients preferred version of a drug has been discontinued, or if the patient does not like the currently available version of a particular drug. The compound pharmacy (with your Dr's approval) is able to aquire the active ingredient of any drug, and then piece together a new compound around that drug using different binding agents, and fillers etc.

toastermax
09-28-06, 05:46 AM
Hi renrac, I have not had any experience mixing Dexedrine Spansules with Desoxyn, but I have had experience with mixing Dexedrine IR and Desoxyn. I found it to be a good mix initially (first week or so), but the Desoxyn has a mildly sedating effect on me, and as a result I decided to go back to the Dexedrine IR by itself. I do enjoy the relaxed state that the Desoxyn provided me, but as a full time student I need more of the mental alertness that the Dexedrine allows me.

Even though there currently is no extended release version of Desoxyn available, there are still options concerning that. I would suggest that you talk to your Dr. about the possibility of having a local compound pharmacy in your area mixing you up some extended release methamphetamine HCL (aka extended release Desoxyn).

This is a perfectly legal option, and is usually done when a version of a patients preferred version of a drug has been discontinued, or if the patient does not like the currently available version of a particular drug. The compound pharmacy (with your Dr's approval) is able to aquire the active ingredient of any drug, and then piece together a new compound around that drug using different binding agents, and fillers etc.how is this possible?? all i have around me are big chains pharmacies, can they do this?? i am interested in taking desoxyn but am nervouse that it may not last long enough, i would like to take it with dex but do they make a extended dex? i did not know that they can make an extended of desoxyn. Wow.

D.B. Cooper
09-28-06, 07:46 AM
There are dex spansules but from what i understand they're not very good. Most of us just grit our teeth(no puhn intended) and take our 3+ doses a day. After a month or so the ups and downs of the IR just seems to fade away, i assume this has something to do with saturation levels.

I've never tried desoxyn and probably wont get a chance to. Although it seems like a great drug, even dealing with the stigma of dexedrine is almost to much for me. Weird looks at the pharmacy when you bring in a script for 250 pills, having to explain to friends and family members that NO you're not a junkie and it really is a medication. I dont even know the number of times i've had "informed" people tell me dexedrine is basically street meth.

lars
09-28-06, 11:11 AM
how is this possible?? all i have around me are big chains pharmacies, can they do this?? i am interested in taking desoxyn but am nervouse that it may not last long enough, i would like to take it with dex but do they make a extended dex? i did not know that they can make an extended of desoxyn. Wow.
I am not sure if many of the big chain pharmacies do this or not. I would tend to doubt that it is a common practice with the big chains due to the fact that it would be time consuming for a pharmacist to put a compound together, and as a result it would likely cut into profits too much. That being said, I would still suggest that you call them and ask. At the very least they should be able to direct you to a compound phamacy in the area.

It is important to note that they can not make an extended release Desoxyn, however they can make an extended release methamphetamine HCL (under your Dr's orders), which is the active ingredient in Desoxyn.