View Full Version : How does ritalin doses compare to adderall?

texassweetpea
08-21-06, 03:00 PM
I just was prescribed ritalin today....changed from adderall. How does the dosage differ from that of adderall. For example...I was taking 60 mg per day of adderall. My doc gave me 60 mg per day of ritalin. How does the dosage compare?

Honda Shadow
08-21-06, 05:00 PM
My story is just the opposite of yours. Did you not do well on adderall? What i have read everyone seems to like adderall better. I'll be curious to hear how ritalin is effecting you. for myself the down time was hard for me. So I was taking 3 20mg daily. I'll start adderall on wednesday. Would like to compare as well. dr prescribed 2 30mg daily. Her daughter is on it. That makes feel alittle better. I know she has researched this subject.

texassweetpea
08-21-06, 06:01 PM
I had to get off of adderall because I began getting sores in my mouth and a sore throat. It cleared up when I stopped it. My doc said he knew there was a difference between adderall and ritalin...but I told him I was taking 3-20mg tabs 7-8 yrs ago when i was diagnosed. So he just wrote the scrip.

D.B. Cooper
08-21-06, 06:55 PM
Ritalin feels really harsh to me in comparision to adderall. Ritalin is a sharp come up and a sharp come down and the whole thing in general feels more tense. I have some sort of limbic dysfunction or something that makes me sensitive to these sorts of things and will kick me into depression rather quickly because of them.

Unfortunately, i have no access to name brands so no time release for me. It would take my insurance at least 2 weeks to authorize any name brand so im kind of screwed in that department.

texassweetpea
08-22-06, 02:20 AM
I already don't think I'm gonna like ritalin. Maybe it will get better...it might just be something that will get better. I will surely give it some time. It is making me a lil irritable. But I am supposed to be taking ativan too and won't get it filled till tomorrow. That might take the edge off. My doc is super cool and if ritalin doesn't work out...I can try dexadine next. I also am limited to generics cos I am medicare part D.

attention
08-22-06, 09:45 AM
You shouldn't need benzos to counteract the jitters from the ADD/HD med.

Ritalin is known for feeling schetchy.

60mgs Ritalin doesn't =60mgs Adderall, in MOST CASES, but YMMY.

"My doc is super cool and if ritalin doesn't work out...I can try dexadine next."-Yer i would tell him Ritalin isn't working out. IR, Dexedrine/Dextrostat is smoother, calmer, more focusing, less SE's, lasts longer, easier ramp up and down-want me to go on?

Say start with 2, SKF, Mallincroft 5mgIR tabs 3x daily, see how you go, this suits many, but many have to go up to 20mgs 3x daily., then if tolerance builds-damn, take a med break or see about script Methylamphetamine (Desoxyn)-50% stronger@ greater saturation to the CNS due to it's Methyl component.

Luck

JustNeedHelp
08-22-06, 05:49 PM
i dunno with me the ritalin caused a heart rate increase REALLY BAD, compared to the amphetamine group of drugs

Dissident
12-13-06, 07:53 PM
This thread really never did get 100% answered. I just started on 20mg of Aderall XR. When I started on Concerta, it was 36mg. Am I actually or a relatively lower dosage, or is it too different to compare?

JR1973
12-13-06, 09:27 PM
Both amphetamines and methylphenidate are about equal in potency when dosed correctly. That said they are not equal in terms of mg dosage though. Methylphenidate meds must be dosed higher to get an approximate strength to be equal to amphetamines.
Here are some numbers I pulled off of medscape to show comparable stats.

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 border=1><TBODY><TR vAlign=bottom><TH vAlign=bottom align=left>Concerta</TH><TH vAlign=bottom>Adderall XR
(Factor = 0.55)</TH></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle>27 mg</TD><TD align=middle>15 mg</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle>54 mg</TD><TD align=middle>30 mg</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle>72 mg</TD><TD align=middle>40 mg</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle>108 mg</TD><TD align=middle>60 mg</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle>144 mg</TD><TD align=middle>80 mg</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

These are not made up by me but actually pulled from medical studies. Pretty interesting stuff over there and a ton of info (which is where I've been spending a lot of time).

J

Dissident
12-14-06, 03:34 PM
Both amphetamines and methylphenidate are about equal in potency when dosed correctly. That said they are not equal in terms of mg dosage though. Methylphenidate meds must be dosed higher to get an approximate strength to be equal to amphetamines.
Here are some numbers I pulled off of medscape to show comparable stats.

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 border=1><TBODY><TR vAlign=bottom><TH vAlign=bottom align=left>Concerta</TH><TH vAlign=bottom>Adderall XR
(Factor = 0.55)</TH></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle>27 mg</TD><TD align=middle>15 mg</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle>54 mg</TD><TD align=middle>30 mg</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle>72 mg</TD><TD align=middle>40 mg</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle>108 mg</TD><TD align=middle>60 mg</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle>144 mg</TD><TD align=middle>80 mg</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

These are not made up by me but actually pulled from medical studies. Pretty interesting stuff over there and a ton of info (which is where I've been spending a lot of time).

J

Thanks for that.

36 * 0.55 = only 19.8, so it looks like I'm coming out a little ahead.

Suzz
06-05-07, 12:39 PM
I LOVED Adderall! So far I'm not as thrilled with Ritalin:(