View Full Version : American forum member coming to Australia next June/July!!

VisualImagery
08-24-06, 12:59 PM
Hi to all you down under!

I have been accepted as a teacher delegate to co-lead a group of high school students on a People-to-People Student Ambassador tour of your great continent!. We will be there for 20 days-18 actuall, not counting air travel.

The kids have to study the culture, learn protocol, be accepted into the program etc, etc. So it should be a pretty good bunch of kids we bring. I don't know which itenerary we will use this year-so that will be later.

I am letting you all know this now because I need to know what to pack to an older lady that will keep me comfy and healthy. You all are the experts since you live there-like, duh, you know. :D When I know exactly where we will travel it will be easier to help me out. I really do need to know what to do for my ADD if I should :eek: lose meds or something.

I have to spread my expenses out-my travel is free-since I herd teenagers! But I have to pay for my gear, spending money, etc.

Some questions for now-access to technology-downloading and emailing digital pictures home-is there access at most hotels? American hotels are good at this, I am hoping Aussies are too. Phone access to call the states-at hotels and easily accessible areas.

Don't rush to answer-take your time. Plus, once I know the itenerary-perhaps I could meet one or some of you as we travel-it might be on the run and surrounded by teens but that beats not meeting you!

Thanks ahead for your Australian generosity. I have dreamed of visiting down under land since I was a kid!

Becky-How bad are those funnel webs and the snakes! That is the creepiest part. Yuck.

~boots~
08-25-06, 04:04 AM
Bec, what STATE??????

~boots~
08-25-06, 04:05 AM
PS...and what MONTH????
please say WESTERN Australia..but I doubt it, most visitors go East :-(

VisualImagery
08-25-06, 12:11 PM
Will know within the next month or so. We are choosing between these two last I heard. I don't know if any are in W. Australia-or how close we get to your area. I think most travel is by coach-not airline when on the continent-that is probably why most don't go west.

Here are the possible iteneraries-just follow the links!

http://www.studentambassadors.org/students-programs-details-vh.asp

http://www.studentambassadors.org/students-programs-details-qj.asp

VisualImagery
08-25-06, 12:14 PM
Forgot-June or July-usually 20 days. Oh, wrong again-we will do some flying on the continent!

Ichpuchtli
08-26-06, 06:53 AM
What is wrong with the great barrier Reef. Good 'ol redneck state of Australia QLD. We have pretty cool things in and near Brissie. ;)

Well guess brisbane people will miss this. Well your are going to Cairns Suppose that is close enough just 1000 something k's off. (Fact Cairns Airport is built on a swamp.)

Yeah most head east but never to brisbane. We have a nice ad running for us right now. Great song in the background. Well good luck with the trip. (Tip: never go up to an Australian and say G'day in an American accent, doesn't go down to well :p)

Your Questions:

Technology can be accessed from Internet Cafe's and in Shopping Centers and Libarys. Hotels are unlikly to have them unless over 4 stars and then they can't be caravan like parks.

Phone Calls to the states are easy and ok priced here compared to Europe. Just dial 0011 (then the us country code which i think is like 1 or 01 something like that) then the rest is up to you.

~boots~
08-26-06, 08:36 AM
Bec, I went to BRISBANE :-) LOL

let me know when and where you are headed, and I will give you ALL the advice you need LOL..honest..hehehe

VisualImagery
08-26-06, 12:49 PM
Thanks you all! I really appreciate your willingness to pump me full of info for the trip. The kids have to do a lot of research but the parents worry so I can give them accurate info and put their minds at ease.

The telephone and internet access are going to be some of the first questions asked!

Can I say "Howdy" in a Texas accent-I am Texan.
I can sing Waltzing Matilda
the Funnel Web Spider song
and Kukkaburra sits in the old gum tree.

it will be an experience and the kids do go as ambassadors-we prepare them for that! So hopefully, they will not be ugly Americans while visiting!

Becky
Bah now ya'll

~boots~
08-26-06, 10:10 PM
LOL..funnily enough, we Aussies rarely say G'day...and OMG!! don't SING those songs :-)
You will find a million net cafes in all major cities, and most of them do photos to Cd's if you have a cable, or card..they are quite reasonable too..especially, if you have no room left to take photos on your camera..

I can't wait to find out where and when, then I can offer much better advice...

oh, and most Aussies can suck the poison out of a deadly spider bite easily enough, we learn it in pre-primary school...snakes, we learn how to kill them, in high school, so you'll be safe..

VisualImagery
08-26-06, 10:42 PM
I just had to hear your reaction to my knowing those songs! Just what I thought! Kinda like singing Yellow Rose of Texas if you are not Texan. :D

How come the Animal Planet shows don't tell us that stuff-sounds like a really fun class everyone would pay attention in!

I can't wait to find out too, but as a 1st year teacher leader, I have to wait just like the kids. :( Never dreamed this might happen! I get to travel to Australia!!!!

Becky

~boots~
08-31-06, 04:39 AM
lol :-)

Crazygirl79
09-14-06, 11:23 PM
Bec
whenever and wherever in Australia you come...WELCOME!!
Selena
PS: I'm in Ipswich which is 1 hour from Brisbane, the capital city of Queensland.

~boots~
09-15-06, 12:17 AM
Hey CG, what's the bet that they go to Sydney, and we'll both miss out :-(

Crazygirl79
09-15-06, 03:49 AM
Tracy.
They'll probably go to Melbourne or Sydney as they are the biggest tourist place for visitors....god knows why...LOL:p Hey CG, what's the bet that they go to Sydney, and we'll both miss out :-(

VisualImagery
09-17-06, 03:27 AM
We do go to Queensland! I only get to go if enough kids sign up-I am at the bottom of the teacher leader order since I am brand new. They require 1 leader for every 20 high school students. I was told not to worry-I will most likely get to go! It is the most popular trip on the list of options.

Becky
Scroll down to find find the reef and rock itenerary-that is the tenative plan for the trip! It does include Ayer's rock!

~boots~
09-17-06, 11:30 PM
duh! I KNEW it..WA is rarely on the list because all the major cities are across the other side of the country...

VisualImagery
09-18-06, 02:04 AM
Tracy, it is kinda like where I live. The middle of the US gets avoided except for Chicago! St. Louis is way down in the pecking order. Everyone goes to the big cities that are usually around the coastal areas of the US.

I am just a nowwhere maam, living in a nowhere land! Even people in my state don't know where I live-the yutzes! I once lived in a big city, my doc said I don't seem like a small town person! Very astute woman!

RADD

~boots~
09-19-06, 01:00 AM
you never know Bec...I may be in Qld that month :-)

Ichpuchtli
09-23-06, 04:28 AM
Well That is great news QLD eh? Sweet. I reccommend southbank for lazing around, cinema is cheap there on weekdays. Also West End for a bit of culture and food. Also MT glorious (don't know if that is spelt right) i live around there. Hope you get to come to QLD. Go up north a dodge some crocs for fun :)

VisualImagery
09-23-06, 04:32 AM
Crocs, no problem, it is the snakes and the manta rays I worry about! HEE

Will know if I get to go by the 24th! Not counting my chickens, but hoping the eggs hatch!

VisualImagery
09-24-06, 09:15 PM
My eggs hatched, the chicken is going to Australia next June! I wanted to go with HS students, but am in the 7-8 grade group. It should be good, just a little nervous, they are quite different from high schoolers-those hormones! I will do fine though. And,I get to go to Australia. Will know our finalized itenerary by February or March-the details change from year to year.

Becky

1st question-what kind of electric converter do I need in Australia?

~boots~
09-27-06, 10:43 PM
whoopppeeeeee :-)

PS we don't have electricity over here

VisualImagery
09-27-06, 11:07 PM
You are funny girl, how do you use that computer then? :D

I started my online training! We have 26 kids so far-the rest have to be signed up and accepted before the middle of Oct! 7th and 8th graders-some think they will bring their cell phones. That is the funniest! I have to study and take quizzes and start on the passport process! Plus, I get to plan the first meeting's icebreaker activity-it is going to be things in Australia and they have to find someone who knows what it is to sign their paper-this gets them to know each other and learn to interact positively! So, I need 30 things to put down, common and less common-list so far:

digeredoo (sp)
Uluru
Great Barrier Reef
Dreamtime
Aborigine
First settlers
How many states
Capitol
Oceans that surround
Where is Alice Springs
What is the outback
Why are there camels in Australia
What do koalas eat?
What is Vegemite?
What is Sydney famous for?
Where is Queensland?
I am going to get more info from the internet and the travel site. Pinch me-it is real! Can I bring graham crackers to share with my host family and make s'mores? Or is that forbidden to bring in? Do you have marshmallows there?

I am planning my wardrobe and thinking about how to pack super light-I tend to go light on clothes but heavy on tech and art stuff-we are limited to 44 lbs checked luggage and I think Qantas has a 15 lb carry on limit-about 7 kilos? right?

I am happy dancing everyday! And learning all the tricks with my camera! Might get a solar recharger for my PDA so I don't have to worry about electricity.

Do I sound excited, huh, huh, huh? :D I'm goin' to a land down under.......crikey!

RADD

~boots~
09-28-06, 03:18 AM
LOL..happy happy dancing..hehe..Might get a solar recharger for my PDA so I don't have to worry about electricity.

LOL..

suncreen..flyspray..and a hat :-) ...first things first..

your kids will know more about OZ than most of us actually living here!!

VisualImagery
09-28-06, 06:28 PM
suncreen..flyspray..and a hat :-) ...first things first..

your kids will know more about OZ than most of us actually living here!!

Flyspray in June, your winter? What kind of hat won't make us look like those crazy American tourists? I look like a female rain man in a baseball hat! Of course we are not tourists, we are ambassadors from America. I know you don't mean the wizard of OZ! In fact, most hats I wear make me look a bit on the mentally impaired side-kinda like Rosie O'Donnell in Riding the Bus with My Sister. Now I have another shopping challenge! A hat that makes me look intelligent, professional, and likea leader! :D

And what is OZ? Slang for Down Under? It is the same way here most tourists know more than us. Ain't it a shame?

So much to learn, so little time!RADD

~boots~
09-28-06, 09:31 PM
LOL..OZ! slang for OZtralia.. :-)

hats..any hat!! we all look rediculous in hats too ;-) flyspray..maybe not that necessary in winter..good point..

and winter in Qld...lovely..winter here is very mild compared to the US..but it depends on which state you go to...Canberra..freezing...Melb..freezing...Qld ..beautiful...

don't worry..you'll be fine :-)

VisualImagery
09-28-06, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the slang, I will add it to the OZ game! Great for the kids. This is going to be so much fun!

PS, never said how much I like the new avatar. It rocks! Wheeeeeee! Look ma no hands!

RADD

~boots~
09-28-06, 10:49 PM
LOL..ta..go see Monster House :-)

slang..that's what I will think of and post here for you..

VisualImagery
10-02-06, 11:05 PM
I am working on my Wonders of OZ Icebreaker! Our meeting is October 15. 28 kids on board so far, waiting for 5 more! Doing my online training and jr. leader stuff! Learned how to create a distribution list on Outlook, all the kids and parents now can be emailed all at once! I am so organized on this you wouldn't believe it if you saw my house :D

Have to get my passport stuff going-the red tape takes a long time! At least I have all the documents I need-and know where they are! Shock and Awe!

Do you know if Au pharmacies would fill a ritalin or concerta scrip from America? I may have to have my docs # in case of emergency she can fax a scrip? If yo don't know, I may contact the consulate or embassy to find out!

Thank Tracy!
http://www.timeforkids.com/TFK/specials/goplaces/0,12405,424866,00.html
I am usiing this website and sent a link to the kids with a hint to look at it! ;)

~boots~
10-03-06, 07:13 AM
Bec, you can bring in a years supply of prescription medication ;-)
so I am sure you will be fine

VisualImagery
10-05-06, 10:48 PM
If I brought in that much, I would be more than fine! :D The kids couldn't even keep up with me!

My pharmacy will help me out through everything-they are really good! I dumped the big chain with George's middle initial. Not nice in my town. Nicer other places though.

RADD
How are things down on the Western end of OZ? Any flying monkeys? (need splaining Lucy?)

~boots~
10-06-06, 01:04 AM
LOL..the southern end of western OZ is lovely today :-) perfect weather..
We don't have pharmacy chains here, and when you get a script for a *controlled* drug, eg ritalin or Dex, any repeats have to be kept at the same original pharmacy, and dispensed from there only... I am not sure why, but I guess there is a good reason :-)