View Full Version : Bipolar in 6yo Girl

MGDAD
08-31-06, 12:44 PM
Just want to talk about this symptom in my 6yo girl. Often, about 3-4 days a week, she will wake up in a very irritable and aggressive mood. The mood will last for about 4 hours. She will walk into the kitchen and say " I want my breakfast NOW!". "I want you to to make homemade waffles and sausage!" "I do not want bacon!" It is like her head is spinning around. She does the whole furrowed brow thing. We send her off, then she starts confronting her older sister. "I want to watch rugrats Now!" When she is in this "mood" she will sometimes do something mean to her sister. When we try and confront her about it she will often talk over us and say "blah blah blah" while we discuss the issue with her. So, then we send her to her room for a time out. She gets very very confrontational about it, so I take her by the arm, walk her back there, and tell her to stay for 5 min. Sometimes she will just sit there and scream at me that she won't stay in her room. At that point I pick up her favorite toy and say it is going in the trash if you do not stay in the room. She stays in the room, but just going bananas with anger and frustration. After a while she eventually calms down enought that we let her out of her room, but the irritability still lasts a couple more hours.

What is going on here?

neon600
08-21-07, 08:40 PM
ah MGDAD, good to see you, I just posted about mine and a rage episode, Crazy~Feet led me over here. Obviously the dairy elimination diet was not the God send I had hoped for. She had a rage episode at daycare, slapped a girl, kicked another one, screamed at the teacher in a way that obviously scared the teacher and yet when I bring her home, she was the sweet loving child she was when I left her there this morning! Sorry I havent been of any help, but it seems we are both searching for the answers!
woops, didnt realize you posted this last year!!!!!

Crazy~Feet
08-21-07, 08:48 PM
Don't feel so bad, Neon :) everybody wants to know that they are not alone.

Have a look HERE (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37816).

That's a thread from MGDAD. ;)

neon600
08-21-07, 09:06 PM
That was quite an eye opener!!!!!!
All three points he made are her. Maybe now we can get a true diagnosis and put her on the right track.
I've said it many times before, this place is a wonderful community to belong to.
I could not have found my way through the past two years if it wasnt for having read and seen all the information that is available on here. Again, thank you, I will keep you posted as to how things turn out. Got a 6am call for work so gonna settle in and pray and sleep.

Crazy~Feet
08-21-07, 09:08 PM
I'll be thinking of you both. Rest well. :)

Imnapl
08-21-07, 09:13 PM
Obviously the dairy elimination diet was not the God send I had hoped for. She had a rage episode at daycare, slapped a girl, kicked another one, screamed at the teacher in a way that obviously scared the teacher and yet when I bring her home, she was the sweet loving child she was when I left her there this morning! Sorry I havent been of any help, but it seems we are both searching for the answers!
woops, didnt realize you posted this last year!!!!!Neon600, you are not the first and won't be the last parent to ignore the research and be influenced by emotional, persuasive testimonials promoting alternate therapy for the disorders we are concerned with on these forums. You are special in that you have come here to tell everyone that perhaps you were wrong and asking for more help from knowledgeable people.

I know very little about Bipolar Disorder and appreciate every opportunity that presents itself when a member shares their experiences with getting a proper diagnosis and treatment. If my memory is correct, doctors are only recently getting up to speed on recognizing Bipolar disorders in adults and are still cautious about diagnosing children. I've read that Bipolar disorders have taken over as the flavour of the month, replacing ADHD.

I had the good fortune to be around a young girl who was already diagnosed with ODD and ADHD at a young age. As she approached puberty, her behaviours increased and became more noticeable. I would watch her in rage mode and knew what I was witnessing was not ADHD, but because I am not an expert, I didn't say anything to anyone. A few years later after the proper diagnosis and stabilizing medication this same girl is consistently a pleasure to be around both children and adults. I see her on almost a daily basis and I'm still amazed at the transformation the right therapy has made.

I can tell people about ADHD, but I can never really understand how it feels to have a mood disorder and I appreciate it when some of our members who have Bipolar discuss what they are going through as they cycle because it is in real time and I have access to their experience. If anything, it confirms that one can sense a mood change like someone who feels a migraine coming on. Both people have warning symptoms and neither one of them neurotic or emotionally unstable.

Neon, regardless of what your daughter is dealing with, there is hope and real treatment available when you find the right professional help.

neon600
08-22-07, 08:41 PM
Thanks Imnapl, I realize that, I am a single mother lost in trying to find out what exactly is going on with my daughter and trying desperately to figure out every way possible to change it or make it better. I see the life her so called father lives and IF she is carrying the bipolar I DO NOT want to see her go down the same street. Alot of what JustHope posted about her son is reflective of where he came from, (long story in the middle here) as of adolescents (sic?) and still into adulthood. (his mother even emancipated (i think this is the word for it) him to the state at 15 because she had no control anymore ) He is a tortured soul that has never found his way, and I REFUSE to lose her like he is lost. Somehow, someway, I am gonna help her find her way through this. And a place like this her doctor and her counselor are the best support system I can have.

Crazy~Feet
08-22-07, 08:53 PM
I can tell people about ADHD, but I can never really understand how it feels to have a mood disorder and I appreciate it when some of our members who have Bipolar discuss what they are going through as they cycle because it is in real time and I have access to their experience. If anything, it confirms that one can sense a mood change like someone who feels a migraine coming on. Both people have warning symptoms and neither one of them neurotic or emotionally unstable.Thanks Imnapl. I appreciate that more than words can say, because when it starts? My first instinct is certainly not to make a post here. When I do something like that, at the time, I am thinking about what you just said: real-time info. I don't expect much back in the way of support, and oftentimes I miss the boat that way, but in the back of my mind I think "Well, maybe if I just admit this and get real, somebody else will recognize a loved one and get help."

So even if I don't get what I need, its worth it.

And Neon? I have been working so hard towards stability, but if you EVER want to know these things feel to me when they are happening? Just let me know.

neon600
08-22-07, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE=Imnapl] Both people have warning symptoms and neither one of them neurotic or emotionally unstable.

This is the part I struggle the most with, she is 10 and socially and emotionally immature, she doesnt seem to be able to know there are "warning signs" that its gonna happen, I even asked her the other night about her "episode" at daycare, if she felt anything prior to it happening, I asked her "did you feel like you were gonna explode, did you feel your emotions rising upward, did it just feel like you were a shaken soda that started squirting all over the place" and she couldnt answer none of this.

Crazy~Feet
08-22-07, 09:15 PM
Space never seem to know either, Neon :( I don't think they have the emotional sophistication at that age to be able to determine what's happening and then articulate how it feels. It took me a long time myself to sort out which of my feelings and difficulties went into the ADHD File and which went into the Bipolar File.

I did mention that ADHD usually comes as a package deal with bipolar didn't I? If I failed to, please forgive me.

I know I have stories here relating how it is to live with Space, and I can track them down if you'd like to read them. Just an offer from one parent to another. :)

neon600
08-22-07, 09:19 PM
Thanks Crazy~Feet, and yes, I am trying to understand this as much as I can. I have been told by her old doctor that yes, she is ADHD, she has sensory issues, she is POSSIBLY aspergers, she is POSSIBLY autistic spectrum, so I am at a total loss right now. Her appt in Sept is with a NEW doctor so hopefully we will accomplish ALOT more than we did with the old one.
(I answered the other questions you asked me too on the other post! LOL)

Crazy~Feet
08-22-07, 09:36 PM
Yea, you and I are all over this place since last night aren't we? LOL!

Its all good as long we keep track of it though.

See, to me, that old doc seems to be jiving with what I would think is going on too. Now of course I am not a doctor...but I do have ADHD, I do have bipolar, and I do have sensory issues. I have a few more charming qualities :o that push me very close to the line near Asperger's Syndrome as well, but I am not a diagnosed Asperger. I do know some and they are really great, loving people.

Its not beyond the realm of possibility for there to be several overlapping conditions going on at once, especially given her genetic profile.

neon600
08-22-07, 09:41 PM
amen to that, cuz I see lots of them going on in her! and yes, we have been ALL over this sight the past two nights!

Crazy~Feet
08-22-07, 10:09 PM
Maybe we ought to just hire us a fiddle player and declare it a square dance, huh? :D

And you are so on it, ya know? I have all these things going on and so many people do like this --> :eyebrow:, and make odd noises, and just don't "get it"...essentially they think I must be full of something that smells pretty bad and can be found in cow pastures. :rolleyes:

My doctor believes me, and believes Space and amen to that, too. Good docs are out there but finding them can be like finding a needle in a haystack! And he's the only person who needs to believe us anyway in the end....all of this --> :eyebrow: and odd noises and talking behind my back is not going to bother me a shred as long as I get what I need for myself and for my kids.

neon600
08-22-07, 10:19 PM
LMAO, you aint kidding girl! Oh and my daughter LOVES ur Naruto stuff!

Crazy~Feet
08-22-07, 10:24 PM
You're kidding me!!! She's seen it? She LOVES it? That's AWESOME!! :D

By all means, save some for her. Snag them off my PSP thread or my signature. If she'd like it, let me know and I can make you a desktop wallpaper to put on the computer for her to see all the time.

Or if she happens to be a Gaara fan, like me? I already have one made :o its on my comp right now!

neon600
08-22-07, 10:28 PM
LOL, I think she is a Hinatu fan (I hoped I spelled that right), her and her friend are all over Naruto, on youtube, on tv, the marathons, the cards etc, she loves the stuff and she's always asking, "what does Crazy~Feet have now", her and her friend run to the computer to see it even though they dont pay a lick of attention to what I am posting!!!!! Oh and they loved ur 360 page too!

Crazy~Feet
08-22-07, 10:41 PM
Hinata! Of course, Hinata is perfect. Makes total sense to me. Hinata never gives up in spite of the odds against her.

I designed my 360 page myself and thats the first compliment I got on it. That makes me smile. :) Tell her I said thanks, please?

neon600
08-22-07, 10:44 PM
I sure will, and maybe thats a good thing, cuz inside she knows she's perfect and will never give up, thats all that matters!

Crazy~Feet
08-22-07, 10:52 PM
Tell her, or better yet, let her read this, since if you pronounce something wrong, she will most likely correct you anyway :D...

I will see what I can come up with to make a picture about Hinata, but there is a Sasuke and an Ino ahead of her in line. Once I finish those, I can start on Hinata right away!

neon600
08-22-07, 10:56 PM
She will love you for it!!!!!!!!! And yes, I will let her read it cuz I have mis pronouced a bunch of them already and have been called retard for it......LOL

Crazy~Feet
08-22-07, 11:04 PM
I am cracking up here, OK? Wanna impress her?

Sasuke is SAHS-skay and Ino is EE-no. ;)

I hate to admit it, but I actually listen to loads of Japanese music myself and watch most Naruto in Japanese with English subtitles. I have picked up a little Japanese now, and not all of it is appropriate for polite company :o but it does feel good to be able to say some of that to the person who cut me off in traffic and see the look on their face!

:D I'm terrible sometimes but things irritate us all and some days? A good Japanese cuss word is what it takes to get through until tomorrow!

neon600
08-22-07, 11:33 PM
LMAO, she does the same thing, she will load the japanese version and learn the WHOLE thing and sing it too, then learn the american version, I can remember when she watched the Austin Powers movie a couple of years ago and picked up the japanese/ chinese in it before the english and was repeating it to everyone! Of course she didnt realize she was saying something inappropriate in japanese/ chinese!!!!!!! LOL
and at this point Busch has gone dry and 600am comes early, especially with it being her first day at school, so gonna sign off and go nighty night!

Crazy~Feet
08-22-07, 11:38 PM
I have a story too...my youngest will be 3 in December, and Space and I...well I was not totally honest up there...we listen almost exclusively to Japanese music anymore, JPop.

Anyway, we were playing some during dinner when we heard the baby singing " Itsumo arigatou honto arigatou" (Thank you as always. Really, thank you.).

Kids are amazing. :)