View Full Version : Diagnosis of LD's

JustNeedHelp
08-31-06, 05:34 PM
what kind of test do they run to see if you might have a Learning Disablility? i am asking about all LD's not just a specific one if you have been diagnosed or know what they do please list, greatly appreciated.

speedo
08-31-06, 06:45 PM
The term "learning disability"{ is general and vague. It is anything that causes a learning impairment.

It could be a hearing problem or a vision problem. It could be dyslexia. It could be adhd, or one of many other disorders.

In general if some disorder is suspected to be causing learning problems it might be useful to have the person undergo a neuropsyciatric evaluation.

This will probably involve interviewing the individual as well as family members. After that the individual might be presented a battery of tests that might include tests of perception, IQ, memory, social skills, cognitive skills, etc, in order to build a clearer picture of the individuals strengths and weaknesses.

ME :D

Vickie
08-31-06, 10:18 PM
Usually it is a bunch of tests to see if there is a discrepancy between ablity and acheivement. Generally the educational psychologist will pick out testing appropriate the suspected learning disorder(s). The testing can be long and expensive. This is a list of tests with links to what they are and what they are used for (dont let the volume of information get to you).
http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/tests.htm
My daughter had a battery of IQ and achievement tests to see where she would be eligible for services through an IEP when we suspected a learning disorder.

JustNeedHelp
09-01-06, 05:32 PM
thanks for that link
but the thing that scares me is if i go in there and they try to over diagnose me, i dont want to go in for 10 test and come out with 20 LD's i dont even want to have an LD although i suspect it but i can have al LD and just live with it and no on eknow about it, but as soon as i go to the doctor about it its written down in my medical file (which is like a biography of your life, in my point of view) and as soon as its written down in that file (or atleast im told by a professional doc that i have a LD then im retarded or mentally incapable or something like that, so in a way i want to get tested so i can know but in a way i dont cause as soon as i find out that i have one (if i have one) then im 'special' for the rest of my life, as if i dont go in then im still normal.

Vickie
09-01-06, 06:02 PM
JustNeedHelp,
You might want to discuss with the doctor if there are any advantages to a diagnosis. There may be therapies or compensation skills that can be used to better your situation if a particular learning disorder is identified. There may be tools that can be identified to make life easier as well. On the other hand, if a diagnosis will not improve your life, it may not be useful. For me, finding out that I am dyslexic helped me understand the difficulties that I had as a child (this word did not exist when I was young). I was fortunate to have mild symptoms and stumble into effective compensation means without help, many are not so lucky.

JustNeedHelp
09-02-06, 09:59 AM
well im going through school rights now so it would help so much if i were diagnosed, (i have the WORST problem with foreign languages) bu tthe thing is i caint just call my parents and say o by the way i got tested for an LD and i have trouble with foriegn languages so the school dropped my spanish class, as i cheated my way through spansih 1 and spanish 2 sucks... so i kinda screwed myself... but i think getting DX'd woul dhelp greatly but i still dont want to and i also fear ithat the schools might not do anything since i dont appear to be handicap or i dont seem to be a LD person.

speedo
09-02-06, 11:51 AM
A diagnosis might help get you special acomodations, depending on what disability you have. In general, a university won't drop the core requirements to acomodate a disability, but will make provisions in the way you are tested,and perhaps may offer some help in removing impairments in the academic environment.

Get diagnosed and then decide what to do. My guess is that you will still have to complete a foreign language requirement for your degree, no matter what.

ME :D