View Full Version : Wellbutrin & Adderall: The Perfect Combo for My ADD?

barbarian
09-01-06, 07:42 PM
Hello to all. I have some questions about my recent treatment plan with respect to inattentive ADD. But first, I want to give a little background info on my history of treatments. I have been treated for ADD for almost 8 months now (4 of which I was overseas and only had one choice in terms of treatment: Ritalin). I have taken Metadate CD, Adderall, Ritalin, and Concerta. All had worked wonderfully in the first couple of weeks; but then after those initial 2 weeks, I developed a horrible tolerance to them and the medications just amplified side effects rather than helped me pay attention.

My doctor has recently prescribed me Wellbutrin and Adderall. When I saw him, I had been on Adderall for about 6 weeks and it was better than being on nothing. And he knew that I had a lot of tolerance to Adderall at that point. He mentioned that he wanted me to take the anti-depressant Wellbutrin along with Adderall. He said that very rarely do people build up a tolerance to Wellbutrin as people do to stronger stimulant meds such as Adderall. Furthermore, he added that the treatment of combining Wellbutrin and Adderall has a record of success and would help with tolerance to Adderall.

I was going to ask him the questions I'm about to ask this thread, but he was in such a hurry I didn't get to reach these questions. So far, the combination of Wellbutrin and Adderall has been nothing short of amazing. My attention is better than ever and can even compare to the first time I had ever tried a stimulant for ADD (and we all know what "hyper-focus" is like). My first question stems from the following. Wellbutrin does very, very little for my ADD when taken alone. I've tried taking it alone and noticed a minute improvement with my attention-span.

However, when I applied Adderall in sync with Wellbutrin, my attention was and is still magnificent. Why, if I developed such a tolerance to Adderall, is it all of the sudden working in combination with Wellbutrin? It's like I never built up such a tolerance. Why is it more difficult to build up a tolerance to an anti-depressant such as Wellbutrin as opposed to a hard-core stimulant such as Adderall? And, with respect to my doctor's comment on people rarely building up a tolerance to Wellbutrin (and not to mention the high success rate after stimulants alone have failed over the long-haul), has anyone here had enduring success by combining the two meds?

I know I've rambled on quite a bit, but your input would be greatly appreciated.

D.B. Cooper
09-01-06, 07:51 PM
They both do essentially the same thing in your brain although adderall of course is much more potent and bigger on the dopamine action. They're probably synergistic and the wellbutrin amplifies the adderalls effects.

speedo
09-01-06, 08:08 PM
Wellbutrin is a norephenephrine reuptake inhibitor as I recall. Wellbutrin also has an effect on dopamine. One of the curious properties of wellbutrin is that it seems to inhibit the effects of dopamine affecting drugs like cocaines, opiates, nicotine and alcohol. I found out the hard way when I went to a dentist and the lidocaine did not work very well after recieving 6 times the usual dose. :eek:

Perhaps it has the opposite effect for stimulants for similar reasons ?

It might be nice if someone who knew something about the neurochemistry of this could explain it.

Me :D

orangecat
09-03-06, 05:16 AM
Wow, this is very interesting. I just started Wellbutrin XL (only two days) and have taken Dexedrine with it, and I could barely tell I had taken the Dex along with it. The Wellbutrin XL mad me very sleepy after 5 hours and I felt kind of weird. I also take thyroid medicine and I wonder if it effects that, because I have felt unusally cold, which is a big hypothyroid symptom. I wonder how differect the effects are of Wellbutrin SR vs. Wellbutrin XL.

STYLe4MotiOn
09-05-06, 02:14 PM
Lots of effects for me but no time to type it out. :)
One big effect for me, is that I've lost 90% of the 'Don't wanna be here, gotta look for a bigger reward' feeling, plus I'm sensory satisfied more -- no pressure to eat, listen music, blablabla, in a larger than life fashion.

I enjoy smoking less -- which is good because I smoke less, but bad because I like the rewarding feeling of smoking.

secularist
09-08-06, 12:08 AM
just added Adderall to the WB I've been taking. so far so good...getting closer to "me"

barbarian
09-08-06, 07:41 PM
I have great news. Normally, two weeks is the point where I would have built up a tolerance to any stimulant alone for ADHD. But so far, with combining Adderall and Wellbutrin, I've had the same positive effects in terms of my attention-span, aside from one minor side effect. So far it's a breakthrough for me. I can actually think about tomorrow and say, "I'm going to hold off doing my assignment tonight because I can do it tomorrow morning." This is because I have confidence that I'll continually get consistent benefits, as I've noticed no signs of tolerance with the combination of the two.

By the way, has anyone experienced bloating while taking Wellbutrin? If you have, how can you decrease or eliminate the bloating? Would it be safe to take a laxative with Wellbutrin and Adderall?

Brigette0615
10-18-07, 03:55 PM
Oh My God! I couldn't had found a better post to answer my question! I was considering asking my doctor to change my prescription of Paxil to Wellbutrin. Since I'm on Adderall XR and hearing that Wellbutrin will work great with it I definately will ask to get on it.

Barbarian,
It's been over a year now you posted your tread. Does it still work as good?? Hopefully you still view this message board and can answer my question.:)

Brigette

selby
11-08-07, 04:32 PM
Oh My God! I couldn't had found a better post to answer my question! I was considering asking my doctor to change my prescription of Paxil to Wellbutrin. Since I'm on Adderall XR and hearing that Wellbutrin will work great with it I definately will ask to get on it.

Barbarian,
It's been over a year now you posted your tread. Does it still work as good?? Hopefully you still view this message board and can answer my question.:)

Brigette
PLEEEASEE be VERY careful getting off the Paxil. :) Go down slowly... and use Prozac to help, as another thread taught me...

I'm also considering Wellbutrin. Paxil worked great for me while I was taking it (except the lack of sex drive)

randomthoughts
11-25-07, 03:43 PM
its been a long time since the last post on this... curious to hear updates? i am on wellbutrin as well... considering a stimulant

sportbikechic
11-26-07, 09:15 AM
I take WB SR 300mg daily + 40 mg Ritalin IR.......works fabulous for ME!:D

tomxkite
01-07-08, 02:35 AM
I was on wellbutrin for a couple of years; it worked great. Then for a year or so I didn't feel I needed any meds, things were great. And as it happens, after a year of absence, I had a bout with, what my doc called it, "depression".

Tried effexor, wellbutrin, zuyprexa, geodone, most of them didn't work. Zyprexa worked for 3 months and then stopped working.

After that I got on to Adderall and the effect was immediate. I was on the top of the world and it worked for six months or so.

And now I find that I have a lot of energy, my mood is great, my social relationship is fine, but I have NO motivation. Bills get unpaid (eventhough there is money) and generally just don't get to things.

So I have added wellbutrin to my regiment. 150mg wellbutrin and 15-20mg Adderall. I am hoping that it would work better.

I am also thinking of trying out Vyvanse for a couple of weeks. without the wellbutrin first and then will try the vyvanse+wellbutrin if things don't improve.

gogogo
01-07-08, 02:40 PM
I started on Wellbutrin for a month and half before starting Dexedrine. The Wellbutrin made me feel calmer and made me want to do things like read but I was unable to focus long enough to accomplish anything until I started Dexedrine. The combination worked well in terms of accomplishing tasks. When I started to feel motivation fading after a couple of months my doctor bumped me up 150 of the Wellbutrin and that worked. The Wellbutrin/Dexedrine combination didn't do too much in terms of mood swings and sociability but Cipralex has helped with that.

I always thought Wellbutrin gives you motivation while stimulants give you ability.

As another poster said, I'm feel more like me. And also more likable. :)

theta
01-21-08, 10:19 PM
I found out the hard way when I went to a dentist and the lidocaine did not work very well after recieving 6 times the usual dose. :eek:

You should read this.
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47578

In case necroposting is against your rules feel free to delete this.

MJwatson
02-06-08, 05:46 PM
Selby I take paxil and adderal and am considering switching to welbutrin. It seems like you know from experience to be careful going off paxil..Can you clarify for me? I have never tried to go off of it so now I am nervous about what to expect!

thanks!

newtoclarity
02-09-08, 10:20 AM
I am weaning off of lexapro to start welbutrin. I am really happy I made this decision after reading these posts. I take 10 mg adderall XR in the am, 10 mg xr about 1:30 and 10 mg IR at about 5:30 pm. I love the adderall -- it completely changed my life. The lexapro has way too many side effects -- snapping in the brain, dizziness, nausea, makes oyu completely uninterested in sex... So I am moving to welbutrin. I'll keep you posted! I hope I can start next week. I am reducing my lex dose each day...

sd2001
03-06-08, 06:03 AM
Any updates from posters using this combo? I take Adderall now and it works ooookaaaay but I'm far from motivated any day of the week. I still really have to push myself (is that a bad thing? dunno). I'm considering asking my doc to consider letting me try the Wellbutrin as well since I can't seem to kick the smokes, particularly because I love to smoke while on Adderall.

Thanks.

gogogo
03-07-08, 10:31 AM
I'm still on Dexedrine and Wellbutrin (450 XL daily). About a month and a half ago I reduced the Wellbutrin to 300 XL plus 100 SR (night twitching was waking my partner). Six weeks after the drop the difference was very noticable. My focus was still good but my decisions as to what I focussed on were poor (ie, finishing a puzzle rather than working, being more ready to **** away the day than accomplish anything). Felt like the Dex wasn't as effective as well so I guess the WB amplifies the stimulant. Anyhow, upped my dose to 450 a week ago and am feeling much more like a productive member of my home.

This is about eight or nine months into combined therapy.

Brigette0615
04-10-08, 01:58 PM
Right now I'm taking Adderall XR 30mg, Paxil 20mg and Klonopin 5mg. Since I really don't want to start any new meds I was wondering if Wellbutrin might work like Klonopin. Both of them can work as a anti-anxiety and can help to be more calm. Does anyone knows if Klonopin can have an anti-tolerence effect toward Adderall like Wellbutrin has?

If anyone can answer my question I greatly will appreciate it!

Thanks!

Brigette

lost_in_texas
04-11-08, 02:54 PM
Brigitte, Wellbutrin can actually aggravate anxiety, since it's a stimulant.

For instance: I am currently on Wellbutrin SR (100mg BID) and Adderall XR (20mg). My daily dose of Adderall XR and first dose of Wellbutrin go fine, but when I take the second dose of Wellbutrin, I start sweating and getting jittery.

Brigette0615
04-12-08, 06:26 PM
Thanks for your feed back Lost_in_Texax. I will definately keep in mind what you've just said and talk about it with my doctor.

Brigette

KurtG85
04-14-08, 12:50 AM
Wellbutrin + adderall= Insane anxiety for me. I am pretty much out of med options now though so now I am going to give wellbutrin + dex a try, for ****s n giggles.

No one by chance has tried mirapex for depression/anxiety/add have they? I cant get my pdoc to prescribe it.

whatwereUsaying
05-10-08, 12:09 AM
I've been taking Adderall XR 10mg for about a year... hadn't been medicated prior to that since i was in grade school, and I'm 22. I start Wellbutrin 150mg this week in hopes of quitting smoking, and maybe stepping down the adderall due to some unwanted side-effects. I figured I'd wait until after final exams to change my meds.

As for the tolerance issue, I've had the same problem... The beautiful thing about stimulants, is you can take what my internal med doc calls ''drug holidays''... if I don't take my adderall on the weekends or days I have easier classes (this semester I tried to stick to just MWF), the drug is MUCH more effective, and I wasn't having to take as many multiple doses within a day, or up my single dose. I know not everyone can function this way, but sometimes I think people depend on their meds a little too much...(talking about stimulants, not antidepressants)

To give a little background, in the past I've tried ritalin, which left me in a rotten mood at the end of the day; adderall, which works WONDERS for my focus and concentration with no negative effects on my mood, but SERIOUSLY intensifies cravings for nicotine and makes me anxious at times; zoloft which caused seratonin syndrome, and effexor which had no good or bad effect on me whatsoever.

I'm hoping the WB might calm my nerves a little bit and help with procrastination, which adderall doesn't do much for... though it definitely helps me get through more than two pages of a book at a time.

As for the wellbutrin/adderall combo, if anyone still reads this and wants to hear how it goes I'll post updates. Just let me know.

hollywood
05-12-08, 10:25 AM
I am interested in hearing how the wellbutrin + adderall combination goes...Keep me posted on your progress-

New2AllofThis
05-12-08, 12:34 PM
I was just given Adderall XR and Wellbutin XL. This is my second attempt at finding what works for me. The first attempt was with Vyvnase which did nothing.

Can some people on here give their feedback on this combo and how long and well it worked for them?

brewskijmu
05-12-08, 12:58 PM
I have been taking Wellbutrin XL 300 mg for about 8 months. Only a little over a month ago, I tried adding a stimulant. First I tried Focalin, no good. Then Concerta, better but still no good. Now I'm on Adderall IR 10-20mg (generic Corepharma) and the verdict is still out. I may have it in my head that the generic sucks but I feel a slight improvement with it, and I'm trying to keep my dose as low as possible. I've had a few bad headaches from the Adderall but so far there have been less side effects than the other 2. it could be that I was on a much higher dose of the others, and they were longer acting. I am considering trying Adderall XR, mostly so I can try the brand, so I'll be interested to hear your experiences too.

Did you just start on both of those meds? If so, that seems like a LOT of new medicine to adjust to all at once. I had headaches with just 10 mg of Adderall added,so I would imagine you are going to have a hard time at first. Definitely let us know how it's going!!

lucky_mom
05-15-08, 12:17 PM
I am wondering for those who take Adderall and WB, do you take them at the same time? Forgot to ask my dr.

AMYKIN- Your dr should help you taper down off the Paxil. I've been on Paxil/Zoloft/Celexa (tried all 3 but I think they are the samw thing?) for a while. I decided to stop taking my meds one day. (At the time I was on Celexa, Wellbutrin & Topamax) I got a bad reaction. At first I was fine. Then I got into a fight with my husband and was in a never ending panic attack and very angry. I decided to go back on my meds and felt almost immediate relief. But I hadn't consulted my dr about quitting. I just did it.

Now my new dr has me tapering off the Celexa. I am down to 10 mg every other day and I will take my last one on Saturday. I am still getting the brain zap feelings, but its not too bad.

I am still on the Wellbutrin and I love it. I also take Adderall now. But I have been on WB for about 2 years and I like it.

whatwereUsaying
05-16-08, 10:54 AM
Update-

Day 5 of WB XL(150mg)/Adderall XR(5-10mg) combo. Definitely noticing a reduced urge to smoke, with a little will power I think I can kick the habbit by the end of next week.

As for my ADD, Wellbutrin alone doesn't really help my focus... but I don't think it hurts. And I am noticing it's easier to get out of bed in the morning.

The combination is working out perfectly so far. I'm not jittery, and not as moody as I was when I was just on the adderall. Adderall by itself makes me feel a little manic. The wellbutrin seems to take the edge off and mellow me out without slowing me down when it comes to productivity. So far I've been calmer, happier, and can still focus and get through a task. Followthrough and finishing projects is actually seeming to be much easier.

Of course, the WB hasn't totally "normalized" yet, so I'll try to give an update every week or so. Most literature on the drug says you won't know what WB will really do to you until about the 6th week.

whatwereUsaying
05-16-08, 11:44 AM
I am wondering for those who take Adderall and WB, do you take them at the same time? Forgot to ask my dr.

If you take WB XL and Adderall XR I'd say just take them both together in the morning. Since they're both extended release, you should be fine all day. I think the most important thing is, no matter when you take the Adderall, take the Wellbutrin XL at the same time every 24-hr period.

brewskijmu
05-16-08, 12:53 PM
I'm taking a break from my Adderall IR 20 mg today and I have to say, the only difference I feel is I don't have a constant throbbing headache. Every day I've been on it, at some point in the day I have a headache. I decided to take a break today, and my attention doesn't seem different, but no headache. I am thinking it could be a generic vs brand issue. the pharmacist said it wasn't the brand, i probably just need to increase my dose, but i am afraid of the headaches getting worse. i think next i will try XR. right now i'm on WB 300 mg XL and take 10 mg Adderall IR about an hour later, then another 10 4-5 hours later.

whatwereUsaying
05-21-08, 12:17 PM
I'm taking a break from my Adderall IR 20 mg today and I have to say, the only difference I feel is I don't have a constant throbbing headache. Every day I've been on it, at some point in the day I have a headache. I decided to take a break today, and my attention doesn't seem different, but no headache. I am thinking it could be a generic vs brand issue. the pharmacist said it wasn't the brand, i probably just need to increase my dose, but i am afraid of the headaches getting worse. i think next i will try XR. right now i'm on WB 300 mg XL and take 10 mg Adderall IR about an hour later, then another 10 4-5 hours later.

If you're getting headaches with 20mg IR, I don't think the answer is a higher dose... XR is a good idea IMO.... You wouldn't have to take as much, and you'd get a consistent amount throughout the day from a single dose when you get up. If I were you, I'd ask to try 10 mg XR once a day and see if your headaches stop.

brewskijmu
05-21-08, 04:26 PM
I think I will try that on my next doc visit. but you think i should try 10mg XR or 20mg XR - I am now taking a total of 20mg so does 10mg XR equal 20mg total day? I also, by accident, took my adderall an hour before my WB one day and i didn't have the headache probably hardly at all. since then i've reversed the order and it's been working alot better. as they say, timing is everything!

KurtG85
05-21-08, 06:31 PM

Also don't rule out trying a different generic adderall brand such as Barr. While the corepharma gave me less central nervous system side effects and anxiety, it also helped a lot less with focus as well as gave me headaches. Adderall XR made me feel way too over-revved and anxious compared to IR.

whatwereUsaying
05-22-08, 08:16 AM
Ask your

whatwereUsaying
05-22-08, 08:27 AM
I think I will try that on my next doc visit. but you think i should try 10mg XR or 20mg XR - I am now taking a total of 20mg so does 10mg XR equal 20mg total day? I also, by accident, took my adderall an hour before my WB one day and i didn't have the headache probably hardly at all. since then i've reversed the order and it's been working alot better. as they say, timing is everything!

Ask your doc... I'm pretty sure 10XR=10 total... A lot of people who post here seem to say when they switch from IR to XR they don't have to take as many mgs/day- or have the same problem Kurt does if they don't.

Adderall XR made me feel way too over-revved and anxious compared to IR.

If it were me, I'd want to start with 10XR and see if it's enough to get the job done. Just because the less tolerance you build, the more effective the med will be.

As for the order, I take WB and adderall at the same time... Though I may try separating them if there's some benefit... let me know why you take them separately.

See if you can't ask for the option to call after a few days and get some 20s written if 10 doesn't cut it. I'd think it's worth asking...

Good luck, and let me know how it goes.

hollywood
05-22-08, 09:44 AM
brew,

I believe that 40mg adderall xr would be equivalent to 20mg released immediately with another 20 mg released 6 hours later

thehighlndr
05-23-08, 01:00 AM
As for the order, I take WB and adderall at the same time... Though I may try separating them if there's some benefit... let me know why you take them separately.

I recently learned why this is true, but forgot to implement shifts in my drug timing. First Adderall has been shown to be sensitive to eating time...I found a study that showed a significant impact relative to meals and suggested it should be either 1-hour before a meal or 2-hours after. (plus avoid acidic foods always of course)

Wellbutrin(bupropion) is metabolized by CYP2B6, but strongly inhibits CYP2D6. This is problematic since 2D6 barely registers as present at 2% in the liver. Adderall (amphetamine) metabolism is not clearly defined, but CYP2D6 is definitely involved, it has minor inhibition of 1A2, 2D6, and 3A4.

This explains why higher doses of Adderall are needed for the same therapeutic effect on Wellbutrin & the need for avoiding other 2D6 drugs.

So back to another useful point...since Wellbutrin can inhibit Adderall somewhat...taking Adderall first should be better...esp. if you wait like 1-hour for it to be in your system. (at least the first XR dose)

I am pretty sure that Wellbutrin is not sensitive to food, but I haven't searched that much and was staggering both around my food times. I will try Adderall XR, then 1-hour, then Breakfast & WB XL, then try and stagger 2nd doses with Adderall first. (I am still playing around with smaller doses of both to determine optimal levels and timing.)

Correct that...I am very certain...from the WB PI doc:
Absorption: Following oral administration of WELLBUTRIN XL Tablets to healthy volunteers, time to peak plasma concentrations for bupropion was approximately 5 hours and food did not affect the Cmax or AUC of bupropion.

brewskijmu
05-23-08, 01:34 AM
So back to another useful point...since Wellbutrin can inhibit Adderall somewhat...taking Adderall first should be better...esp. if you wait like 1-hour for it to be in your system. (at least the first XR dose)

I am pretty sure that Wellbutrin is not sensitive to food, but I haven't searched that much and was staggering both around my food times. I will try Adderall XR, then 1-hour, then Breakfast & WB XL, then try and stagger 2nd doses with Adderall first. (I am still playing around with smaller doses of both to determine optimal levels and timing.)

Correct that...I am very certain...from the WB PI doc:
Absorption: Following oral administration of WELLBUTRIN XL Tablets to healthy volunteers, time to peak plasma concentrations for bupropion was approximately 5 hours and food did not affect the Cmax or AUC of bupropion.

agreed. since i started taking my adderall first, an hour before food and about 1 1/2 hours before WB, things have improved greatly. i take 10 mg IR 2x day and i don't think i am going to go up too much more than that. some days i only take one 10 mg in the morning. i'm glad i found this out before giving up completely, but i still want to try barr or XR.

hollywood
05-23-08, 11:43 AM
interesting point. So the wellbutrin may decrease some of the effects of amp but does it too interfere with mph?

brewskijmu
05-24-08, 12:31 AM
not sure..i assume by mph you mean ritalin types...i took focalin and concerta and had horrible side effects. i never tried reversing the order of my dose but perhaps that would have worked. still, the amps seem to be much better for me.

thehighlndr
05-24-08, 05:04 PM
interesting point. So the wellbutrin may decrease some of the effects of amp but does it too interfere with mph?

Ritalin based stuff? You must look up the very detailed drug info (it might be in the official Doctor PI, but I wouldn't say for your)...the key words to search for besides the generic name of the drug is metabolized and CYP OR P450 or 2D6.

Then you need to look to see how many different sites it has to act upon and how sensitive it is to 2D6 inhibition/blocking. That's the main one that Well blocks that is a problem. It's main site is not an issue as it is very bioavailable (don't remember, but at least 20%). Also any drug that works like Well that has many, many possible sites...can pretty much bypass any singular inhibition.

whatwereUsaying
05-30-08, 01:22 PM
I recently learned why this is true, but forgot to implement shifts in my drug timing.

I'm doing good just to remember to take any of my meds... I'll see if I can get into a similar routine and see if I like it better...

So far the combo seems to be working out GREAT. WB alone is just fine on the weekends, but on days I work, I have to take the adderall or I can't focus. But cleaning the house on a saturday isn't a problem without it.

I'm much calmer with the WB, and can pay better attention to detail
As for the smoking... well, at least now the adderall doesn't make me crave nicotine with the WB... so I have been able to cut back down to the amount before adderall, but I haven't dropped it totally yet.

brewskijmu
05-30-08, 01:41 PM
this is day 2 for me on 20 mg XR. i do feel a difference now...but i wish i had this strength in the IR form. sometimes i'd rather not have that second dose kick in, you know? and i like being able to take a pill and know it's going to work in 5 minutes than taking it in the morning and waiting hours before the next one kicks in. i guess i am a control freak. but when my WB runs out i am going to go down to 150 mg and see how that works for me. i'm trying to keep my dosage low of all these meds.

whatwereUsaying
05-31-08, 09:47 AM
the lower the better... I don't know if it matters so much with the WB, but with adderall, I think it's kindof a less is more thing. You'll be able to use the drug longer the lower you keep the dose...

brewskijmu
06-03-08, 12:00 PM
yeah i don't want to go above 20 mg for a while. it's been doing fine so far...

whatwereUsaying
07-02-08, 12:29 PM
I dunno if anybody reads this still, but I've been on the combo for a few weeks so I figured I'd give an update.

I'm pretty happy with the combo so far. Remembering to take the WB every day is becoming less of a challenge. I'm usually really bad about forgetting to take my meds (duh...). I can skip the adderall without problems or crash on days I don't "need" it. (Days I don't work or have a long list of chores).

Hyperfocus doesn't come as easilly as it did before WB, but instead of being manic, I'm just... normal. Whatever that means. I feel normal anyway. Though when I see my IM Doc I may ask to go back up on the Adderall.

I'm told I'm a much more pleasant person to be around since I started WB, and don't get angry or upset as easilly. I have a tendancy to be a little bit of a type-A, but when things don't go as planned, I can let it roll off a little better.

On my second refill of WB, the pharm gave me generic and didn't tell me. I wasn't too happy. I don't notice a huge difference. Most of it's probably mental... While I don't think it works the same, it's no better or worse than the brand. This could also be because i'm still working on the first 60 days. IDK... I refill again in a week or so and I'll be sure and tell them I want the brand back. If there's no difference I'll take whatever after that. The generic only saves me $15 a month...

sportbikechic
07-02-08, 01:44 PM
Yeah-I'm still reading and following along with your progress....I am still taking WB SR 150mg 2x daily and 40mg Ritalin IR. I use generic of both and have decent success. I say decent because I still am irritable at times.

Good to hear that things are going pretty well for you....you sound alot like me actually. :)

My mom is sick with cancer; she and I are like sisters and this has been a long battle for the family, I have an ADHD son and now a puppy. I love my life and have no complaints and would not want to switch lives with anyone.....I decided to add Prozac in March as I felt overwhelmed with anxiety.

It has worked pretty good until recently. I am thinking about taking a Prozac break and just take WB and Ritalin. Along with being better with taking my vitamins too.:p

Oh the medication drama.......:eek:

whatwereUsaying
07-03-08, 11:46 AM
Yeah-I'm still reading and following along with your progress....I am still taking WB SR 150mg 2x daily and 40mg Ritalin IR. I use generic of both and have decent success. I say decent because I still am irritable at times.

Good to hear that things are going pretty well for you....you sound alot like me actually. :)

My mom is sick with cancer; she and I are like sisters and this has been a long battle for the family, I have an ADHD son and now a puppy. I love my life and have no complaints and would not want to switch lives with anyone.....I decided to add Prozac in March as I felt overwhelmed with anxiety.

It has worked pretty good until recently. I am thinking about taking a Prozac break and just take WB and Ritalin. Along with being better with taking my vitamins too.:p

Oh the medication drama.......:eek:

Interesting. My mom's sick as well. With Lupus though. This has only been within the past 5 years. She's tough as nails though; I have incredible respect for her. She raised a very difficult and defiant boy who never grew out of his ADD like the doctors said he would :-P I visit the house every day to try to return the favor.

I share the same attitude about life (now more than before)... I like being me.

I've found that taking vitamin suppliments helps sometimes more than meds. That and exercise. But I struggled to find the motivation to get to the gym or jog around the neighborhood without meds. So I guess one helps the other.

jesmckrod
07-03-08, 05:32 PM
I know this is a tiny bit off topic but has anyone had success with Vyvanse and Wellbutrin?

My doc said that its said they were good together but I have yet to see anyone's opinion yet.

whatwereUsaying
07-03-08, 06:42 PM
I know this is a tiny bit off topic but has anyone had success with Vyvanse and Wellbutrin?

My doc said that its said they were good together but I have yet to see anyone's opinion yet.

Never tried Vyvanse....
If you can't find a thread on it, start one. Somebody has tried it I'm sure. And if your doc is suggesting it there are probably others who want to hear about it too.

Tyboulder
07-04-08, 08:31 PM
This thread has been great. I've tried Paxil and Prozac for depression but neither worked. I have significant depression right now. I take 20 to 40 mg of either Dex IR/SR and Adderall IR depending on how I feel and what I need to accomplish. I'm also on Lamictal at 400mg, but I'm not sure that's really doing a whole lot. I'm definitely ADD inattentive. I have a couple questions maybe you guys can shed a little light on. 1) How has Wellbutrin helped you with depression only? 2) Is Wellbutrin not supposed to be used with alcohol? I still (unfortunately) binge drink on the weekends, 8 - 12 drinks per night. How bad would this be on Wellbutrin?

whatwereUsaying
07-05-08, 02:37 PM
I have mild chronic depression... Didn't start the Wellbutrin for that, but it does help. Inconsistent in that area for me though. Some days I get a euphoric feeling, some days not. But haven't really been down since I've been on it. I'm much more rational and level-headed. Much less impulsive, and I don't get frustrated with every-day crap as easily. The inconsistency might have something to do with some other factor-- maybe how much exercise I get or what I eat. Hard to say.

As for the drinking, ask your doctor. You'll have to cut back I can tell you for sure. Alcohol can cause seizures on WB. I went out last night and had about 8 drinks over 7 hours, and was feeling pretty sick on number 8. I wasn't trying to push it or anything, I was really just not thinking. I didn't understand why I had a pounding headache around 11, until it occurred to me that I haven't really been drinking with this medicine. No hangover this morning, so I'm gonna say that was the mix. Before I was on this med I could have 12 drinks in that length of time and be fine (relatively speaking). I'm only on 150 mg XL , and I take it around 7 every morning.

So, LIGHT alcohol consumption is okay, but I'd say a good rule of thumb is keep it legal to drive a car. (bac .08 and plenty of food) And I'm sure it depends on the dose you take.

amg7613
07-05-08, 05:24 PM
I'd say with the Wellbutrin, it's fine to drink in moderation (BE CAREFUL though!)...with the Adderall, NO! Make sure that's pretty close to out of your system before you drink with that...it potentiates the effect, at least for me! This is the rule of thumb I follow, for others it may be different.

andromeda7
01-23-09, 09:23 PM
I've been on Wellbutrin XL (300 mg) for 10 months and it worked wonders for my "abandonment sensitivity" and related problems. I would have serious emotional crashes triggered by events, and despite years of therapy (probably not the right therapist though) I was not able to deal with it. I had tried multiple other antidepressants, and I think WB is by far the best for my condition. One problem though was that I started gaining significant weight because of strong food cravings, and I swear it made me want to smoke more! Plus I had numbed sexual response, although libido was fine. At least I wasn't feeling like the world was caving in when I was having a disagreement with a boyfriend.

Anyway, I still felt like I couldn't "get things done." I didn't know much about ADD, and finally went back to the psychiatrist and said that I felt I had isolated the hypersensitivity and was feeling even-keel finally, but that I still was distracted, unmotivated, and unable to stay organized and on task. He questioned me further and diagnosed me with ADHD (not very hyperactive type) at 26 years old. I was floored, but the more I did research, I realized I was a classic case of how it is often expressed in females. Even my mom said she had long suspected I had it and that she likely has it herself (I'm sure she does, but doesn't have a job so doesn't mind.)

Adderall was horrible though. I took generic and not the sustained release (10 mg then 20 mg), and although I would focus for a short while, I had significant anxiety and, later in the day, severe crash with frustration, irritability, anger, depression, headache - you name it. I chewed the inside of my lip absolutely raw. I couldn't handle it. To be fair, the doctor never put me on extended release. Whether being on the WB made things worse, I guess I'll never know. I was very upset that my first try at fighting my ADD failed so horribly.

A few months ago I tried Vyvanse 30 mg, and I thought it was the bomb because I hardly got any side effects. It didn't focus me as well as Adderall, though, so I went to 50 mg and at the same time decreased Wellbutrin to 150 mg XL. That's what I'm on now. I was able to quit smoking completely, the cravings from WB were gone, and I dropped the weight I had gained on WB (score!). The side effects were back again although not as bad as on Adderall. I have the really awful dry mouth (and breath, ugh). My main problem is that I have heightened stress/anxiety levels (I don't really have any kind of serious anxiety without medication). I am crashing later in the day, I have insomnia, I stress out those around me, and I'm definitely more moody and irritable, much more so than my normal self without meds. Arg! And it feels like is that the stimulant is counteracting the balancing effects of WB.

So, any advice is welcome. I am thinking of dropping down to 40 mg (if possible) on the Vyvanse. I wish that WB XL had a 200 mg dosage, because I think the 300 was too high for me. I'm pretty new to this ADD thing, and I am desperate to find a way to make it work. I have a demanding job, am a single young woman supporting herself, and am trying to get into graduate school at the same time. Needless to say, I need to make sure I figure this out soon if I get into grad school. I'm not sure I ever could have finally pursued grad school if it weren't for the Vyvanse, but I may end up an old maid with no friends and give myself a heart attack at 45 if I continue this stress level. :( Thanks in advance.

Note: I've been trying to take the Vyvanse in the morning (which is anywhere from 6:30am weekdays to 10:30am on weekends) and I recently started taking the Wellbutrin at noon. Not sure if it's made much difference.

whatwereUsaying
01-25-09, 02:29 PM
I've been on Wellbutrin XL (300 mg) for 10 months and it worked wonders for my "abandonment sensitivity" and related problems. I would have serious emotional crashes triggered by events, and despite years of therapy (probably not the right therapist though) I was not able to deal with it. I had tried multiple other antidepressants, and I think WB is by far the best for my condition. One problem though was that I started gaining significant weight because of strong food cravings, and I swear it made me want to smoke more! Plus I had numbed sexual response, although libido was fine. At least I wasn't feeling like the world was caving in when I was having a disagreement with a boyfriend.

Anyway, I still felt like I couldn't "get things done." I didn't know much about ADD, and finally went back to the psychiatrist and said that I felt I had isolated the hypersensitivity and was feeling even-keel finally, but that I still was distracted, unmotivated, and unable to stay organized and on task. He questioned me further and diagnosed me with ADHD (not very hyperactive type) at 26 years old. I was floored, but the more I did research, I realized I was a classic case of how it is often expressed in females. Even my mom said she had long suspected I had it and that she likely has it herself (I'm sure she does, but doesn't have a job so doesn't mind.)

Adderall was horrible though. I took generic and not the sustained release (10 mg then 20 mg), and although I would focus for a short while, I had significant anxiety and, later in the day, severe crash with frustration, irritability, anger, depression, headache - you name it. I chewed the inside of my lip absolutely raw. I couldn't handle it. To be fair, the doctor never put me on extended release. Whether being on the WB made things worse, I guess I'll never know. I was very upset that my first try at fighting my ADD failed so horribly.

A few months ago I tried Vyvanse 30 mg, and I thought it was the bomb because I hardly got any side effects. It didn't focus me as well as Adderall, though, so I went to 50 mg and at the same time decreased Wellbutrin to 150 mg XL. That's what I'm on now. I was able to quit smoking completely, the cravings from WB were gone, and I dropped the weight I had gained on WB (score!). The side effects were back again although not as bad as on Adderall. I have the really awful dry mouth (and breath, ugh). My main problem is that I have heightened stress/anxiety levels (I don't really have any kind of serious anxiety without medication). I am crashing later in the day, I have insomnia, I stress out those around me, and I'm definitely more moody and irritable, much more so than my normal self without meds. Arg! And it feels like is that the stimulant is counteracting the balancing effects of WB.

So, any advice is welcome. I am thinking of dropping down to 40 mg (if possible) on the Vyvanse. I wish that WB XL had a 200 mg dosage, because I think the 300 was too high for me. I'm pretty new to this ADD thing, and I am desperate to find a way to make it work. I have a demanding job, am a single young woman supporting herself, and am trying to get into graduate school at the same time. Needless to say, I need to make sure I figure this out soon if I get into grad school. I'm not sure I ever could have finally pursued grad school if it weren't for the Vyvanse, but I may end up an old maid with no friends and give myself a heart attack at 45 if I continue this stress level. :( Thanks in advance.

Note: I've been trying to take the Vyvanse in the morning (which is anywhere from 6:30am weekdays to 10:30am on weekends) and I recently started taking the Wellbutrin at noon. Not sure if it's made much difference.

Congratulations on your dx. I know that sounds weird, but once you finally figure out what's going on, life is much easier. Also kudos for kicking the cig habit. And best of luck to you in grad school.

I've heard most people who take WB with an ADD med take the ADD medicine first and the WB later... I usually take them about an hour apart. Just be sure and take the WB at the same time every day.

As for the crash, try some light exercise in the afternoon. Take a walk or jog, lift some weights, do some push-ups, crunches, whatever's most convenient. The irritability could possibly have something to do with the fact that WB is a dopamine blocker, and in a sense counteracts your add med. That doesn't mean you shouldn't take them together though... It's a great solution for me (150mg WB, 10mg Adderall XR). Exercise will release endorphins which will improve your mood and give you a little boost of energy. It could also help you sleep better.

When I'm on Adderall I notice I'm also a little high-strung and have a tendency to snap at people for being 'stupid' or slow-moving. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Part of this is in your head, and part of it really is the med. For me since I figured out it was a side-effect of my adderall I'm able to catch myself before I stress out a coworker or friend... Sometimes when you get the ball rolling on somebody else it's just a self-perpetuating situation that gets everybody in a bad mood, and makes you feel worse and worse. It's so easy to put my head down and be productive, but the minute somebody speaks to me when I'm in the middle of something I get an edge and am sometimes rude. I just try to take a breath and count to ten before I say something that's going to stress somebody else. Just gotta let some things roll off.

Also, I LOVE extended release as opposed to instant. I don't have to take as high a dose, so it's not anywhere near as intense. 10mg xr does for me what 30mg ir did. Some on this forum will tell you otherwise, but everybody's different.

Good luck on the road ahead, I hope some of my advice was helpful.

nixon08
02-11-09, 01:20 PM
I've noticed a lot of people mentioning their ability to like and be liked by others as a result of the WB. Well, I'm pretty sure that's because the anti depressants are basically eliminating some of (or all of, in some cases) that self-doubt that has bogged them down for so long. I am at times overwhelmed with self-doubt, but when I started taking effexor last summer, all of that disappeared and I felt like I could do anything - and unfortunately, I did try to do everything. I got on peoples nerves and became manic. I was a little too happy. I think the WB that I just started will do the same for me, without the extremity. Or at least I hope so.

RecruitDir
02-11-09, 02:13 PM
It may. WB targets dopamine reuptake, which is the pleasure neurotransmitter. Albeit, it is slower then Adderall and other pure-play stimulants, so the abuse is likely lessened. I take Adderall and WB and have found the combo to be the best and it assures round-the-clock coverage.

hollywood
02-11-09, 02:41 PM
what is your adderall dosage recruit? Also , which stimulant works best theoretically with wellbutrin ( ritalin or amp)? Ha ha, I know I've asked you a question or two lately regarding wellbutrin. I'm considering going back on the WB

RecruitDir
02-11-09, 10:39 PM
Hi Hollywood,

In theory the Rit/Concerta should work best, as both are Dopamine and NE reuptake vessels.

However, chemically WB is much closer to AMP/Adderall as it is a 2nd generation analog of AMP.

As they are chemical cousins from the same family-tree, in my opinion WB appears to operate in a more synergistic fashion with AMP then RIT, with WB potentiating AMP's reputake capability.

Because too much dopamine causes anxiety, I've had to reduce my Adderall dose to 50mgs. In my opinion, because of the potentiation, the 50 feels more like 90mgs, and it lasts longer then without the WB. The positive is the all-day coverage, but if I take my afternoon dose of AMP after 12:00PM, I find I have difficulty falling asleep. I stick to taking WBXL 300 at 12:00PM. There is no magic bullet, but one must try and if needed, retry various meds and med combo's until it is providing a positive theraputic effect. Also, I do not worry about WB preveinting the AMP's release, given that at doses of 50mgs the med is primarally a reuptake vechicle, and WB streghthens this effect.

All the Very Best!

hollywood
02-11-09, 11:31 PM
recruit ,

coming from concerta to adderall I have problems with the transition of adderall xr. I don't get it , I can tell regular adderall works pretty well but the xr is tricky. Also when on wellbutrin I could tell the adderall was more beneficial. They say that 60mg of adderall is a large dosage to start but I'm on a healthy dose of concerta. I see alot of guys of 50-80mg of adderall it seems on these forums, isn't that basically like 100-160mg of mph? I just love how random I am at ten pm-. Not dumb but random-

RecruitDir
02-13-09, 01:19 AM
I believe that the translation of MPH to AMP you stated, is in the ballpark. I am not sure if those who were taking such high doses of AMP were also taking WB; if not, the dosages might reflect cumulative adjustments made over time in response to rising tolerence levels. The good thing is that for some ADHD med patients, WB may stave or prevent rising tolerence levels to AMP. Therefore a dose of 50/60mgs might be sufficent.

I agree about the XR, the slower onset of the second phase may mute "the feel" of the med, but it still is in-play. Being out of work and short on cash, I've switched to 30mgs IR in the AM and 20mgs IR in the afternoon. I couldn't justify paying all the extra $$ for an effect I can facillitate on my own by taking a second dose. Shire also raised the cost of XR by 20%, tough when so many are scrimping and saving pennies just to put food on the table. When, and I pray soon, I get a job in my area of expertise, I'll reconsider the XR. You should know that often times, Dr.'s defer to XR vs IR, as IR is thought to be more abusable beacuse it kick's in much faster, and to an inexperienced patient it provides more of a "rush". In my case, I am so used to the med, that I bearly notice the onset until I feel my focus improve.

All the Very Best!

RecDir

ozmoses
03-04-09, 02:01 PM
This is very interesting. I recently began taking medication for my ADD. Started on Wellbutrin/bupropion 150mg per day and I was becoming really irritable, hostile etc.. didn't help at all with the ADD. I convinced my doc that Dex was the way to go. I waited a few days to let the bupropion leave my system and then began 10mg of dex in the morn and 10 in the afternoon. Wow. That first day I was motivated, positive, clear thinking, etc... then the dex immediately started doing nothing.. It occurred to me that maybe the residual bupropion in my system combined with the new dex was the reason for the improvements and as the bupropion left my system, the benefits of the dex disappeared. Does this sound consistent with what you guys are all seeing?

The other possibility is that I was taking lithium prior to doing all of this and then I stopped to avoid any conflicts with bupropion.. It's frustrating trying to identify the exact variables of why things work so that they can continue to work over time...

Any cautions on taking lithium, bupropion and dex simultaneously?

Thanks

hollywood
03-04-09, 02:47 PM
ozmoses,

I agree it is tough to say. For what it's worth many times I've had this response while taking wellbutrin, to me it seems like the wellbutrin aids in reuptake but often times with a stimulant the combination is just too much , I would assume.... I too have had this happen while stopping wellbutrin and having the positive effects the next day while taking my stimulant. I'm not sure why this is exactly but one thing is for certain that it does happen and we should not discredit this as it may help us find better treatment options. Since we have this good or positive feeling after discontinuation of wellbutrin it has in the past and now led me to believe that it has something to do with the availability or building of dopamine availability in the brain , so when we discontine it is my theory that maybe it's possible that there is more dopamine or NE in the synapse leftover when we stop using the medication. I think it's safe to assume that this probably means that with wellbutrin or the dose we were on was too much or was effective too long in the synapse, I guess from this standpoint we could argue that either dropping our stimulant dosage or dropping the wellbutrin dosage and using the wellbutrin sr instead of the xl for coverage may provide us with the answer. When we take wellbutrin it helps make more da and ne available for reuptake in the synapse that is used for attention. Maybe it is the increase of dopamine that is helping but the added ne is where the problem lies making us feel mentally scattered and sluggish or maybe it's the other way around. There are several variable ways to think of what is actually going on here. I think it could be a little of both the small amount of da and ne in the synapse "just a little" may provide all the help we need to boost the stimulants effectiveness after being on a stim a long time... I am not sure, I'm just rambling and any others who may know can feel free to chime in.

sarahe_21
04-17-09, 03:00 PM
Hi there. I am a lot like you. I have been treated for ADD since I was 5 years old (now 21). I have taken Dexedrine, Ritalin, Concerta, Adderall, and Strattera. I don't remember much about taking meds when I was younger, and after high school I stopped, but I just recently started taking Adderall XR. I pretty much have the same problem as you. The first couple of weeks on 20mg XR were great, but then it seemed like it just quit working. The doctor said I probably built a tolerance and put me on the 30mg. This again worked ok for the first couple of weeks and then seemed to quit working. I keep building a tolerance to it but I also feel that the side effects are greatly amplified. I am going to the doctor in a few days and going to ask if I can start on Wellbutrin. I can't explain exactly why a tolerance is less likely to be built up against Wellbutrin, except maybe for the fact that it stays in your system a lot longer. Like other anti-depressants, it takes a few weeks to really kick in and it gets built up in your system so even if you miss a dose it will still work (but don't do that!). So it keeps working 24 hours, unlike regular stimulants like Adderall that just works when you take it. I find that I feel the good effects of Adderall for the first 2 hours or so and then I just feel the side effects until about 6 hours and then my ADD symptoms come back. So that is really a problem for me. I think that Wellbutrin would be good with Adderall because it also works on dopamine so in my and your case that might the little extra kick we need to get it to work. Wellbutrin also works on Norepinephine, so I think that might be helping to diminish the side effects you were feeling of the Adderall and letting you feel the good effects. The way I would explain why a tolerance is built up to Adderall and not Wellbutrin is because when taking Adderall it is so up and down. What I mean by that is that it works when you take it and then it wears off at the end of the day, so you are on it and then you are not. I would think that this is confusing for your brain so it builds up a tolerance against it to protect itself. As for the Wellbutrin, this works 24 hours like I said so its not making your brain go up and down. I have heard of it not working after a longer period of time however, so maybe it just takes longer to build a tolerance to it. I'm going to try the Adderall and Wellbutrin if my doctor lets me and I'll let you know how it goes, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I've been trying to find the right medicine since I was 5!!!! haha...

whatwereUsaying
04-20-09, 01:38 AM
Hi there. I am a lot like you. I have been treated for ADD since I was 5 years old (now 21). I have taken Dexedrine, Ritalin, Concerta, Adderall, and Strattera. I don't remember much about taking meds when I was younger, and after high school I stopped, but I just recently started taking Adderall XR. I pretty much have the same problem as you. The first couple of weeks on 20mg XR were great, but then it seemed like it just quit working. The doctor said I probably built a tolerance and put me on the 30mg. This again worked ok for the first couple of weeks and then seemed to quit working. I keep building a tolerance to it but I also feel that the side effects are greatly amplified. I am going to the doctor in a few days and going to ask if I can start on Wellbutrin. I can't explain exactly why a tolerance is less likely to be built up against Wellbutrin, except maybe for the fact that it stays in your system a lot longer. Like other anti-depressants, it takes a few weeks to really kick in and it gets built up in your system so even if you miss a dose it will still work (but don't do that!). So it keeps working 24 hours, unlike regular stimulants like Adderall that just works when you take it. I find that I feel the good effects of Adderall for the first 2 hours or so and then I just feel the side effects until about 6 hours and then my ADD symptoms come back. So that is really a problem for me. I think that Wellbutrin would be good with Adderall because it also works on dopamine so in my and your case that might the little extra kick we need to get it to work. Wellbutrin also works on Norepinephine, so I think that might be helping to diminish the side effects you were feeling of the Adderall and letting you feel the good effects. The way I would explain why a tolerance is built up to Adderall and not Wellbutrin is because when taking Adderall it is so up and down. What I mean by that is that it works when you take it and then it wears off at the end of the day, so you are on it and then you are not. I would think that this is confusing for your brain so it builds up a tolerance against it to protect itself. As for the Wellbutrin, this works 24 hours like I said so its not making your brain go up and down. I have heard of it not working after a longer period of time however, so maybe it just takes longer to build a tolerance to it. I'm going to try the Adderall and Wellbutrin if my doctor lets me and I'll let you know how it goes, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I've been trying to find the right medicine since I was 5!!!! haha...

Sarah,
Let us know how the combo works for you if you start it. WB and Adderall are totally different types of drugs-- tolerance isn't something you'll run into with wb at all, it's a dopamine blocker. So not to worry.

I think part of the ups and downs you're experiencing might have to do with the higher dose... Part of the trick to being successful with adderall is not thinking about the fact that you're on it. For the first couple of weeks you feel kindof a high when you take it, and then your body slowly starts to turn off your ability to feel the burst of energy-- but that doesn't mean the drug isn't working.

Just a thought you may want to consider the next time you think about switching up your meds... instead of being conscious of the feeling adderall gives you, think about your overall ability to focus. some people I've talked to on here do require 30 mg a day, but if you're crashing it could be worth trying to work with a lower dose. Continuously increasing dosage can get you into dependence trouble pretty fast, so be careful since you're just getting back on meds. Generally it's my opinion that people who take 60, 70, 90 mg of adderall per day either have stupid doctors or a drug abuse problem... or both.

Best of luck, and keep us updated

raidermp5
04-30-09, 11:19 PM
I've just got on Adderall XR today i do feel a lot different( not as much jumping to topic to topic) But I still have horrible remembering like going to a room to get something and forgetting what it was when i get to the room. Will this start coming back in time on adderall or is there a mixure of drugs that i can take for it. Also to stay on topic I'm wondering if I should start taking Wellbutrin too one because maybe a weak anti-depressant would help and also will also help stop the feeling i get from smoking which is the only reason i smoke.

whatwereUsaying
05-01-09, 02:33 AM
I've just got on Adderall XR today i do feel a lot different( not as much jumping to topic to topic) But I still have horrible remembering like going to a room to get something and forgetting what it was when i get to the room. Will this start coming back in time on adderall or is there a mixure of drugs that i can take for it. Also to stay on topic I'm wondering if I should start taking Wellbutrin too one because maybe a weak anti-depressant would help and also will also help stop the feeling i get from smoking which is the only reason i smoke.

Adderall will likely make it harder to quit smoking, with or without Wellbutrin. Give the Adderall XR a little while to work... when you don't "feel a lot different" from it in a few weeks, you'll know if it's the right med for you. Eventually the rush and high feeling won't be there, and you'll know if it's helping your memory and focus by then.

If you feel like you need an antidepressant, talk to your psych doc. If you're not seeing one, start. ADD meds and antidepressants will do you absolutely no good without help with behavioral changes. People on these boards can be helpful and supportive, but they don't take the place of a psychiatrist.

Good luck!

RecruitDir
05-01-09, 12:25 PM
I'd say to give the Adderall a chance. Often there is too high an expectation for what the med will do, or conversely a honeymoon period when starting. Once you've adjusted to the med you can determine its effectiveness and discuss options (ie, raise the dose, or add in another ADHD med, like Wellbutrin). there are pros and cons with the combo. Pros: WB being a mild stimulant itself can provide ADHD relief; it is a very good antidepressant - amphetimne/Adderall can trigger depression; it can raise confidence & well being and reduce anxiety (in my case helped with social anxiety that suddenly developed). Cons: You'll be taking two meds which can trigger side effects; WB being a mild but long in-play stimulant will not wear off by bed, and create a case of insomnia that for some is hard to shake; when starting the med - you'll likely get a hyper/speedy but not enjoyable feeling, this will likely subside - but for some it is too much and they stop taking it; you need to take it everyday for maximum benefit - as it has a build up effect. Unlike Adderall which can be taken when needed; finally there is the additional expense of both meds. Definitely discuss options with your Dr., there are antidepressants that are not so stimulating, and can provide you with a chill-out effect, which I'd reccomend if you aren't seeking the addon WB for additional theraputic ADHD support/coverage.

selby
06-01-09, 07:22 AM
Selby I take paxil and adderal and am considering switching to welbutrin. It seems like you know from experience to be careful going off paxil..Can you clarify for me? I have never tried to go off of it so now I am nervous about what to expect!

thanks!

Just found this post today. You probably don't have this question anymore but for anyone else who's on Paxil, for me the withdrawal was absolutely terrible. I gradually reduced my dose but still experienced months of suicidal depression and crazy physical side effects. It's called SSRI withdrawal syndrome I think. I will absolutely never take an SSRI again; not everyone gets the withdrawal effect, but some do and for us it's a nightmare. You're supposed to reduce your dose very gradually and taking Prozac while doing so is supposed to help.

I'm gonna probably start Wellbutrin soon because Dexedrine/Adderall/Concerta make me depressed and I need it to function :/

Jordana
06-08-09, 12:31 PM
hey all, the timing of the medications was brought up earlier in this post so I figured I would just offer my 2 cents.

when I took adderall and wellbutrin at the same time it seemed to decrease the amount of focus and energy I got from the adderall. for awhile I took 30mg adderall IR in the morning(with 15mg in the afternoon if needed) and 150mg wellbutrin SR in the evening. I figured since the wellbutrin is built up in my system it didn't exactly matter when I took it as long as it was the same time everyday. (I should note that I was also able to do that because WB didn't cause any insomnia or sleep disturbances for me which I know it does for some other people). it took a couple weeks before I noticed any major changes, but after that it worked pretty well for me. helped me cut down on smoking too.

anyways, I stopped taking my meds for awhile(had a hard time remembering to take them in the evening) and am about to start again. this time around I'm going to try what was mentioned earlier about taking the adderall an hour or so before the WB (never thought of that before!). hopefully it will work out a bit better this time. thanks for all the good advice :)

hollywood
06-08-09, 12:53 PM
jordana,

wellbutrin does seem to work pretty well of and and for awhile but then after a few months I notice my attention is not as good and my adhd meds don't seem as effective. I'm in the same boat and understand the situation well.

Jordana
06-09-09, 04:21 AM
jordana,

wellbutrin does seem to work pretty well of and and for awhile but then after a few months I notice my attention is not as good and my adhd meds don't seem as effective. I'm in the same boat and understand the situation well.

it is quite frustrating :( what are you taking now? are you trying anything different?

hollywood
06-09-09, 10:40 AM
I just went back to my regular stims, I have to use a higher dosage than I want but atleast I can focus and concentrate on work and not have any interference or goofiness from an antidepressant. Honestly , efficacy in adhd and symptom control is directly or positively correlated with stimulants and in long term therapy I believe higher dosing is pretty normal, unfortunately that may increase moodiness and sometimes fatigue, but I'd rather be focused and be productive than off in space. I go on an antidepressant once every so often and then realize my mood is improved and I'm easier to be around but my head is in the clouds. I'd rather be productive honestly. So yeah back on just my stims and cut out the wellbutrin. I hyperfocus when I'm bored now but when I'm not bored I focus fine.

selby
06-11-09, 06:16 AM
So you quit Wellbutrin? Did you have to gradually reduce your dose to go off it or were you able to just stop cold turkey with no side effects?

hollywood
06-11-09, 09:53 AM
I have didn't have problems stopping.

littleruben
06-17-09, 11:16 AM
Ssris are the devil!!!!!!!

littleruben
06-17-09, 11:26 AM
what is your adderall dosage recruit? Also , which stimulant works best theoretically with wellbutrin ( ritalin or amp)? Ha ha, I know I've asked you a question or two lately regarding wellbutrin. I'm considering going back on the WB

i wouldnt take ritalin with wellbutrin anyday...ive never been on both at the same time but ive been on amp...and rit...and i couldnt imagine taking wellbutrin and ritalin at the same time...what a horrible feeling...ugh. with ritalin you always get this...i know im on some kind of drug feeling (maybe you know what i mean) with amp...i feel its more of (a regular stimulant so to speak) meaning you dont get such a drugged up feeling....just energized and focused blah blah blah...also im gonna start a new thread on some dopamine information....it may answer alot of questions as to why their cognitive fucntions or personality changes...ttyl board people.

littleruben
06-17-09, 11:47 AM
ill post this here for you guys and then start a new thread...let me know if you want the info on the other 3 Ntransmitters -its awesome stuff have a good day :)

Much has been written about the mind-body connection. We all know that our emotions and thoughts can effect how our bodies function. Depression can suppress the immune system, anxiety disrupts digestion and anger has an adverse effect on liver function. This connection; however, works both ways – not only do our emotions affect our physical health, but our nutritional status and toxicity levels effect our moods, behavior and emotions.
More and more research is pointing to how nutrient deficiencies and toxicity effect our brain chemistry and how imbalances in our brain’s neurotransmitters (brain chemicals made from amino acids) affect everything from our behavior, ability to concentrate, memory and even organ function.
Research has shown that brain neurotransmitter deficiencies contribute to hundreds of health problems which fall into four categories: physical symptoms (pain, blood sugar problems, immune and digestive dysfunction, etc), personality issues (anger, depression, anxiety, etc.), memory issues and attention issues. I will go over the specific health problems for each neurotransmitter deficiency later in this newsletter.

The Four Aspects of Brain Health
People usually don’t start thinking about the health of their brain until they notice theirs isn’t functioning as well as it used to. It may start by you having trouble remembering names, phone numbers or addresses. Maybe you can’t concentrate as well on the task at hand as you did in the past. You may also notice that you are having more sleep disorders or are feeling depressed more often. These are signs that something may be off in your brain chemistry.
The brain is the greatest generator of electricity in the human body. The brain sends electric currents throughout the entire body through brain chemicals called neurotransmitters which then send energy and information to the rest of your cells, glands and organs. It’s really amazing how perfectly designed the body is when you look closely – the only problem comes when we poison the cells of the body and starve the body of nutrients necessary to fuel cellular regeneration. There are a growing number of toxins that are entering our environment which destroy your brain and nervous system’s cells. These toxins are called excito-toxins which literally stimulate your neurons to death. Toxic chemicals such as MSG, nutra-sweet (aka as aspartame), hydrolyzed protein are now saturating our dietary landscape. Many of us put toxic chemicals on our hair and face which get into our brains and effect the production and function of neurotransmitters. For those of you who have come to my class on detoxification you know how commercial hair, skin and beauty care products are often loaded with toxic chemicals and metals including: lead, aluminum and mercury. All these toxins get into the body and poison the cells. My motto is that if you wouldn’t eat the product don’t put it on your hair, face or skin.
Attention deficit disorder is now one of the fastest growing diseases in our society and it can be traced to these toxins and nutrient deficiencies as well as a disconnected life from nature and spirit.
According to Dr. Eric Braverman, a leading clinician and researcher in the field of mind-brain-body medicine, brain health has four main aspects:
* memory
* attention
* personality and temperament
* physical health
The brain’s four primary neurotransmitters: dopamine, acetylcholine, GABA, and serontonin each affect these four areas of brain health in different ways. For example, one measure for memory and attention is the speed at which the brain processes information. All four neurotransmitters affect speed; however, acetylcholine is most important for brain speed. A normal brain processes a thought in about 320 milliseconds (1/3 of a second). By the time our thinking is slowed down to four hundred milliseconds to process a thought we can no longer process logical thoughts. The average person loses 7-10 milliseconds of brain speed every decade starting at the age of 40. Numerous learning disabilities, neuro-psychiatric problems and other seemingly unrelated health problems are set in motion with slower brain speed. Remember this is just one of hundreds of health issues related to brain chemistry.
The question you may be asking yourself is that if brain speed is a result of neurotransmitter production – what are neurotransmitters made of? Each neurotransmitter is made of different building blocks called amino acids. I will review the specific nutrients and foods that boost each neurotransmitter later.

The Brain’s Four Primary Neurotransmitters
The brain is able to coordinate your movements, control your heart rate and breathing, and allow you to feel hunger, pain, happiness, sadness and all other emotions through the electrical charges which travel throughout your body. This electricity needs a path to travel on through the body. This path is made up of the cells of the central nervous system (which includes the brain and spinal cord) called neurons. Each of us is born with approximately 100 billion neurons which are continually dying and being created every second. Electrical impulses sent as brain signals from the brain through the spinal cord to various nerve endings throughout the body travel from neuron to neuron via brain chemicals called neurotransmitters. Since neurons don’t actually touch each other – there is a gap between each neuron, called synaptic gaps, neurotransmitters bridge these gaps and are, therefore, essential for the brain to communicate to the rest of the body. The electricity of the brain literally travels on the neurotransmitters between neurons throughout the body.
An overabundance or deficiency of any neurotransmitter can lead to health problems. An overabundance of a particular biochemical can flood the synaptic gaps, a deficiency will interrupt the brain signal getting to the part of the body that needs information.
When all four neurotransmitters are balanced one’s brain is operating in top form, or as Dr. Braverman calls it you will be experiencing the “edge effect” – optimum brain function.
To determine your neurotransmitter nature and possible deficiencies contact my office by phone at 708.848.0254 or by email at jim@createvibranthealth.com and I will email you a comprehensive questionnaire which was developed my leading researchers and clinicians in the field of mind-brain-body medicine. In my own case I found the questionnaire results were corroborated by other testing. I can review your results and customize a nutrition, supplement and lifestyle program that can be integrated into your current program to balance any minor or moderate neurotransmitter deficiency. If you have severe deficiencies I can refer you to a holistic medical doctor with more treatment options available for you.
Dopamine
Beta brain waves which make you feel alert are created in the frontal lobes of the brain from neurons that produce the biochemical dopamine, which controls the electrical voltage of your brain. Dopamine works as a natural amphetamine and controls your energy, excitement and motivation.
Dopamine controls the following:
* blood pressure
* metabolism
* digestion
* voluntary movement
* intelligence
* abstract thought
* setting goals
* long-term planning
* Adrenaline production
Those individuals with a predominant dopamine nature who are balanced know what they want, are assertive, strong-willed, fast on their feet and self-confident. Dopamine personalities tend to like facts and figures are highly rational and are achievement oriented. Dopamine types gravitate toward occupations such as law, science, allopathic medicine, engineering, architecture and the military.
Producing too much dopamine can make one too intense, compulsive and driven. Overproduction of dopamine can also lead to violent behavior.
Dopamine deficiencies can lead to some of the following symptoms:
* Anemia
* Blood sugar instability
* Bone density loss
* High blood pressure
* Low sex drive and/or difficulty achieving orgasm
* Joint pain
* Thyroid disorders
* Aggression (paradoxically)
* Anger
* Depression
* Inability to handle stress
* Guilt or feelings of worthlessness
* Excessive sleep
* Mood swings
* Slow thought processing speed
* Forgetfulness
* Attention deficit disorder
* Hyperactivity
* Failure to finish tasks
Severe dopamine deficiencies are often treated with medications or hormones. Mild to moderate dopamine deficiencies can be balanced with diet, supplements and lifestyle modifications.
Physical signs of dopamine deficiency will be fatigue, sleeping long hours and still not feeling rested, your mind wandering, difficulty making decisions, craving caffeine, sexual dysfunction. Unconsciously you will try to compensate by avoiding stressful situations, drinking coffee to give you energy and drinking alcohol to bring you down. It is important once you realize this to correct your underlying dopamine deficiency with proper nutrition, supplementation and lifestyle modifications.
Each of the primary neurotransmitters has a nutrient precursor, and dopamine is derived from the amino acids phenylalanine and tyrosine. Co-factors such as folic acid, vitamin B6, iron, copper and vitamin C are important for phenylanaline to be absorbed.
Common foods that have high phenylalanine (p) or tyrosine (t) concentrations (in grams) include: Chicken 6-8 oz. 1.60 (p)/ .4 (t); Cottage Cheese 1 cup 1.7 (p)/1.7 (t); walnuts 6-8 oz. 1.4 (p); Ricotta cheese 1 cup 1.35 (p)/1.5 (t); Turkey 6-8 oz. 1.6 (p)/.7 (t); Wild game 6-8 oz. 2.6 (p)/1.5 (t).

hollywood
06-17-09, 12:26 PM
focalin xr and wellbutrin may go well

magdelaine
07-04-09, 03:24 PM
I've been on WB xl 150 for 2 months now and I've gotten some very good relief from it. The things that have improved:

Hyperfocus - the brain lock is much more controllable
Social anxiety - I've been spending more time out with friends/shopping/visiting than I have in years. Before this would have been completely exhausting for me.
Procrastination - I'm "finally" able to make progress on projects that have been on hold for months.
Depression/anxiety - I had boughts of mild depression and anxiety, mostly a result of "racing thoughts".
Exercise - something odd that I did not expect: before WB I found exercise painful and discomfortable, now I find it pleasurable. I'm getting much more excercise now and I feel weird if I don't get on the treadmill every other day or so.
Short term memory - somewhat improved.

However, my overall focus, memory, and inattention could definitely be better. So I asked my doctor for some Dexedrine to use when I occasionally need some extra help. I'm trying it for the first time today... I 'm not sure what to expect. I'm hopeful, though.

I can attest from experience that WB xl does not wear off for at least 24 hours...it's more like 28.

Kerstin
07-09-09, 05:45 PM
Ssris are the devil!!!!!!!

Wellbutrin isn't an SSRI, but I agree SSRIs are rough.

After months of trying to figure this combo out, I've decided I'm done with it and just sticking with Adderall. It took a couple of months, but I must say the WB did wonders for my depression. However, I just never felt quite right on it. I was no where near as out of it as I was on other antidepressants, but I just didn't feel right. And I swear it made my Adderall less effective, even after fiddling around with the timing. I truly think I was more ADD on the combo than with just Adderall alone. I quit due to frustration over my increased ADD symptoms (even after my doctor upped my Adderall for the first time in years to see if this helped) and just the uneasy "not myself"-ness that I felt on it. Its weird because I actually felt like myself once it started working, but felt less and less myself as time wore on.

I urge people to give it a shot though, especially if you are quite depressed. 150mg XL helped a little, but 300mg XL made a HUGE difference in my life. I'm kind of bummed it didn't work out for me long term. I've tried several antidepressants and this was the only one I actually could tolerate/helped my depression. But at least I'm much better now and feel confident I can handle life's problems sans meds. I attribute WB to getting me to this point. I think I just needed a temporary bump to get me through a rough patch.

By the way, I noticed this comes up a lot on this forum. You CAN quit Wellbutrin cold turkey and be fine. I quit twice and everything was ok. It was almost creepy how the same I felt when I stopped. I *might* have been a little more tired than usual, but it is unbelievably different than quitting other antidepressants. Trust me, you'll be fine.

Just curious, does anyone have experience with Cymbalta and Adderall? I haven't actually told my doctor I've stopped WB (baaad, I know), but I know he mentioned Cymbalta several months ago as an option if WB didn't work out. I'd like to stay off the happy pills if possible, but you never know.

selby
07-11-09, 01:59 AM
How long did it take you to feel the positive difference after going up from 150mg to 300mg?

roodyrider
07-11-09, 05:10 AM
Kerstin,

I just thought I'd let you know that I was on Cymbalta for four years. It was prescribed before I knew I had ADD. I tolerated it very well and can honestly say I was the best I've been thus far in my 40 years while I was on it in terms of my attitude--I'm a type A and too smart for my own good, so I'm very short and impatient when people don't do what they're supposed to or when they don't "get it!" :rolleyes: Cymbalta helped that TREMENDOUSLY!

I didn't overlap Adderall and Cymbalta long enough to know how they combined--I wasn't given any of the info. that's all over this site about how to take Adderall, so my start was rocky, and part of the reason I quit Cymbalta was to see if it was messing up the Adderall. It wasn't, but I can't say it made it better either. The results are inconclusive!

But I did think you might want to know some things about Cymbalta (at least from my perspective)...

1. It gave me sexual side effects.
2. I felt that it "numbed" me more than I wanted to be
3. Getting off of it is REALLY bad, and tapering didn't seem to matter.
4. I gained a lot of weight. I'm plenty vain, so I didn't like this one bit!
5. Cost prohibitive if you're uninsured

Soooo, that's why I'm here reading this thread. I just started the Wellbutrin/Adderall combo today. Cymbalta was fine, but far from perfect, so I keep searching.

Hopefully, you will be fine w/o the antidepressant. I'll definitely be there someday soon, but not for the moment! Life kinda sucks right now!

Kerstin
07-13-09, 05:32 PM
How long did it take you to feel the positive difference after going up from 150mg to 300mg?

Two-ish weeks maybe? There never was a moment that I was like "hey! I feel 100%!" It was much more of a gradual thing that I noticed when I looked back on my progress over several weeks. I realized I was more social with my roommates, actually left the house for reasons other than work, watched less tv, cried MUCH less, and etc etc. I still had rough times, but they were just much easier to deal with. I think what caused me to really notice the difference was my ability to recover from low points in my day. Previously, I would just keep spiraling downward when I was upset about something. The medicine really helped me be upset for a reasonable and manageable amount of time before my mood would improve and I would get over whatever I was upset about. I dealt with things in a more normal and healthy way. As much as I loathe going, I think therapy is great at giving "tools" to help you deal with problems too.

roodyrider,
Thanks for the Cymbalta info! I hope the WB/Adderall combo works for you. It really does seem to help some people. The good news is that your points 1-4 are much better with WB than other antidepressants and I think the generic was fairly inexpensive if I remember correctly. It definitely helped my depression, so hopefully this will work for you too!

silent73
07-19-09, 04:49 AM
Hello to all. I have some questions about my recent treatment plan with respect to inattentive ADD. But first, I want to give a little background info on my history of treatments. I have been treated for ADD for almost 8 months now (4 of which I was overseas and only had one choice in terms of treatment: Ritalin). I have taken Metadate CD, Adderall, Ritalin, and Concerta. All had worked wonderfully in the first couple of weeks; but then after those initial 2 weeks, I developed a horrible tolerance to them and the medications just amplified side effects rather than helped me pay attention.

My doctor has recently prescribed me Wellbutrin and Adderall. When I saw him, I had been on Adderall for about 6 weeks and it was better than being on nothing. And he knew that I had a lot of tolerance to Adderall at that point. He mentioned that he wanted me to take the anti-depressant Wellbutrin along with Adderall. He said that very rarely do people build up a tolerance to Wellbutrin as people do to stronger stimulant meds such as Adderall. Furthermore, he added that the treatment of combining Wellbutrin and Adderall has a record of success and would help with tolerance to Adderall.

I was going to ask him the questions I'm about to ask this thread, but he was in such a hurry I didn't get to reach these questions. So far, the combination of Wellbutrin and Adderall has been nothing short of amazing. My attention is better than ever and can even compare to the first time I had ever tried a stimulant for ADD (and we all know what "hyper-focus" is like). My first question stems from the following. Wellbutrin does very, very little for my ADD when taken alone. I've tried taking it alone and noticed a minute improvement with my attention-span.

However, when I applied Adderall in sync with Wellbutrin, my attention was and is still magnificent. Why, if I developed such a tolerance to Adderall, is it all of the sudden working in combination with Wellbutrin? It's like I never built up such a tolerance. Why is it more difficult to build up a tolerance to an anti-depressant such as Wellbutrin as opposed to a hard-core stimulant such as Adderall? And, with respect to my doctor's comment on people rarely building up a tolerance to Wellbutrin (and not to mention the high success rate after stimulants alone have failed over the long-haul), has anyone here had enduring success by combining the two meds?

I know I've rambled on quite a bit, but your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks man.. you inspired me to stick with wellbutrin (bupropion) in addition to my new adderall meds...

The reason I think they work good together, is that bupropion is a nor-epinephrine / dopamine reuptake inhibitor (DNRI) and so that would naturally increase the effectiveness of Adderall which is mostly a dopamine stimulant and Nor-epinephrine stimulant and MAO-B inhibitor.. which is why the both increase the strength of eachother...

Anyways, the bupropion, I discoverd for myself, has a completley different method of operation, which may account for the differnce in tolerance as opposed to Adderall..

I found out, mostly from taking it, that bupropion builds up in your blood levels over time, after taking it a couple of months, I had a SERIOUS increase in energy and concentration levels...

This may / or may not have to do with the extremely long half life of bupropion as opposed to other drugs.. Whatever it is, it made it hard for me when I tried to quit taking it... then I recently realized, that maybe I shouldn't stop taking it as it may be a great supplement to Adderall in effectiveness...

I had become VERY focused since I was taking bupropion for more than a month, but Adderall makes me even more focused in a way, but doesn't seem to give me the energy levels bupropion does.. I think I am better off with both meds...

I just have yet to see if Adderall will become more effective if my doc increases the dosage from 10mg a day..

I would say in summary, that Burpopion is a great ADD med and will make you very focused, but in supplement with Adderall, will make you twice as focused and possibly in better state of mind....

Basically, in response to other posts on this thread.. I had seen a gread advancement in the effectiveness of bupropion when I increased to 300mg daily... but when I started taking Adderall, I found that I am performing even BETTER at just 100mg of Bupropion (50mg twice a day).... And this is with just 10mg daily of Adderall... I feel like I am sometimes taking a gram of bupropion, but I am not, it is the mix of both meds together I believe..

termaxlor
11-20-09, 11:11 AM
I just started back on adderall after 6 months. I moved from Dallas to the Valley,and most doctors are reluctant to write for Adderall! It was so difficult to get the Rx. The first doctor refused to give me the same treatment Ive been on, and put me on Wellbutrin. Was he serious? Ive been on it for 4 weeks, and have not seen any improvement. I finally found a doctor who agreed to follow my old treatment plan, and started me on a lower dose of Adderall to start with (10mg bid). should i stay on wellbutrin, and adderall or just keep with the adderall? Ive read many posts that say the combination helps with stable moods, and all the benefits of adderall alone(focus, productivity, memory, etc..)

blahhh
12-04-09, 11:29 PM
This was kind of already touched on but I figured I would just basically restate what silent73 just said...

Wellbutrin is a dopamine reuptake inhibitor and amphetamines (such as Adderall) work by binding with dopamine transporter which decreases it's ability to clear out of the synaptic gap essentially. Amphetamines also inhibit monoamine oxidase which breaks down excess neurotransmitters in the synapse.

So essentially, Adderall makes more dopamine available in the synapse and Wellbutrin allows the dopamine to stay in the synapse longer, giving the dopamine more time to bind with receptors. Combining the two basically increases dopamine levels in your brain.

I am on Vyvanse and Lamictal myself, and I was hoping to quit smoking so I was thinking about asking about Wellbutrin. I am interested to see how effective it was for others.

Josh_kelly
12-05-09, 08:38 AM
I am on both

Adderall 30 mg IR and wellbutrin 300 mg SR

they both work great together. wellbutrin "pacifies" or takes off the edges of adderall.

I mean I dont feel a crash at the after 4 hours of taking adderall IR. because there is wellbutrin in my system to fall back to.

wellbutrin works also on dopamine but slowly and not as intense as adderall.

So if you want to add wellbutrin, you have to cut your adderall dose and play with the doses until you find the perfect dose for both.

for me, When I wanted to add wellbutrin. I cut my adderall dose in half. Didn'T play with the doses until after two weeks of taking wellbutrin (titration period pf wellbutrin).

blahhh
12-05-09, 11:32 AM
I might look into starting wellbutrin, but I am not sure how it will work with my lamictal which focuses on stablizing depressive symptoms.

I just noticed, i stopped smoking for like 3 days and go depressed that I had a hard time functioning even with the medication (and i believe i was on adderall at the time) and I heard wellbutrin can help with that.

So we'll see..

hollywood
12-05-09, 12:24 PM
my doctor never told me to cut my dose while starting wellbutrin and for that matter, I think it's best to adjust first and then start titrating down if that gives you benefit . I think that would be a bonus if you could titrate down your dose with the addition of wellbutrin. Less drugs being more effective is always a good thing

Josh_kelly
12-05-09, 08:15 PM
Well, If you are happy with you current dose and add wellbutrin. You will get overstimulated. Anxiety, jittery,....

Believe me Wellbutrin is a strong stimulant. I mean they say mild but I say its more than that (but less than adderall) the problem is wellbutrin stays in your system for 5 days (after titration)

And the side effects during the titration for wellbutrin (first 2 weeks) are going to be little hard (confusion, dizziness, and sweating buckets) and when you add a dose of adderall to the mix.....

I remember first week I was sweating so much that I looked guilty anywhere i go. I saw the look on people' face. I Looked like I was escaping a crime scene or just robbed a bank:D And at the airport while going thru security was not pleasant!

Many people take wellbutrin only for their adhd.

your call

whatwereUsaying
12-06-09, 01:55 PM
So my doc just switched me from XR to IR. (insurance company...blah blah blah... name brand, generic... blah blah blah... prior authorization... huge headache, gave up and switched) The mg didn't change. Anybody have an idea what kind of changes I can expect? I'm still on Wellbutrin XL also.

hollywood
12-07-09, 10:06 AM
josh kelly,

thats just it, when i added wellbutrin I didn't get jittery or anxious.. Not at all? Sometimes when I add wellbutrin to my stimulants, I immediately feel better then after a week or so the effects are good but not as good as the initial response. Additionally, sometimes when I stop the use of wellbutrin I have like 2 days where it seems like I am on the perfect dose for all day symptom control then after a day or so it's back to baseline.... I believe that is the effect of the wellbutrin in my body going down and somewhere along that downward spiral of the med still in my body there is a dose where it is optimal , well thats my guess? The problem seems to be this happens usually when on wellbutrin 300xl and then stopping and not 150xl? Its confusing but my focus is descent now , but I know for fact if I found the correct balance I would have good symptom control all day, with no worry or other issues... The problem has been finding this balance and that is why my dr. thinks either adding intuniv or low dose lexapro may solve the issue?

sudasinio
12-22-09, 11:29 PM
I was diagnosed with ADD and Depression at an early age. I have basically been on every drug. When I turned 18 I stopped taking all my medicine I was fed up with it. So about a 2 weeks ago I decided to see a psychiatrist and was put back on 2 medications. 1 week ago I started Adderall XR 20mg and Wellbutrin 300mg. That is a little bit of back ground info I guess. Here is my experience so far with the combo.

The first couple of days I felt amazing. I felt like I broke all my bad habits such as using the PC too much. I became very super organized. Plus nothing made me depressed at all; I would get upset obviously but that feeling was gone fast. It was the best I have ever felt in my life to be honest. 3 days later though, nothing. Very little motivation to do anything and it seems all my bad habits are creeping back. I also feel very tired in the day time when I take the Adderall and Wellbutrin at the same time. I've always felt tired with no medications but this is kind of a inbetween tired. It hasn't all been bad after those 3 days. I still have some focus but not nearly what it was at the beginning.

I experienced alot of the symptoms that people were saying. First few days I was sweating alot. Having to use the bathroom every couple of hours. Things like that, but after those first 3 days nothing.

So this leads me to my questions. Will I ever feel the way I did in the first few days again? Is this somehing normal? Do I possibly have too high a dose of either? Am I judging things a little bit too early?

These may be important things but probably not. My sleep pattern is 10pm to 6am. Every day. I may go to sleep earlier but never later than 10 or 10:30pm. I rarely get up earlier too. I run 1 hour a day on the treadmill which is about 8 miles.

Any help would be appreciated. I have posted this in the Adderall medication forums aswell since I guess it is fairly common combo.

gemini1313
01-11-10, 11:52 PM
Sudasino- it has been my experience that the really noticeably positive effects of stimulants (i.e. super-organization, self-control) wear off the longer you take the medication due to tolerance. On the converse, with medications like Wellbutrin it would take a long time (if ever) to develop a tolerance. In any case, I don't think a high dose of one of those drugs would make the other less effective.

One of the main differences between Wellbutrin and other antidepressants is that it is a noreprinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitor, meaning it doesn't involve serotonin such as the more common SSRIs (paxil, celexa). Adderall also increases the amount of dopamine and noreprinephrine in the brain, which is probably why it makes sense to combine those two medications. Combining SSRIs and Adderall can cause what's called "serotonin syndrome", a life-threatening state in which the brain is overloaded with serotonin (although this is very rare, it is another reason why Adderall goes better with Wellbutrin than with SSRIs).

I have been prescriped the same drug "cocktail" that you are taking (Wellbutrin XL 300 + Amphetamine), although I recently switched from Adderall to Dexedrine, which is also used to treat ADHD; the difference is that while Adderall is made up of 4 different amphetamines, including dextroamphetamine, Dexedrine is pure dextroamphetamine. I switched because with Adderall my tolerance developed rapidly (I was taking about 80mg/day) and it also gave me the undesireable side effects of jaw-clenching, dry mouth, and a really bad come-down when the medication wore off--not good for someone who has major depression. I have not had these problems with Dexedrine (I take 40mg IR per day). I have also tried Ritalin, but I didn't feel that it did anything for me.

It probably makes a difference that I also take 200mg of Lamictal (a drug for bipolar disorder). I've heard that this may decrease the effectiveness of amphetamines, so if anything, my combo is less potent than it would be normally.

Over the years I have tried what seems like every antidepressant under the sun. I was put on Paxil at age 9 (my parents were *****ed up for doing that), went off of it at 12 and began taking Celexa, at which point I lost about 10 pounds (quite a bit for a 12-year-old). Freshman and Junior year in highschool I ceased using antidepressants, and those were two of the hardest years of my life. I then started taking Zoloft at age 18, but it didn't do me much good. From that point I was put on Effexor, which helped for a while, but then stopped working. Coming off Effexor was one of the scariest things in my life-- I experienced what people call "shocks": when I would close my eyes to sleep I would feel a surge of electricity going through my brain and I would see flashes of light even though my eyes were closed. I looked into this and of course there was no official information on it, but a lot of online discussion was going on with people having the same issue. When the withdrawals finally subsided, I was put on Wellbutrin and Lamictal, which I have taken for about 2 years and been quite content. I was considering going off Lamictal because I don't like being on so many meds (and I don't think I have bipolar disorder), but I'm finally at a stable point with these 3 so I think I'll stick with them for a while. One thing that I really like about the Wellbutrin is that it hasn't caused me to gain any weight. It also hasn't decreased my sex drive the way some antidepressants are supposed to, although I haven't really had that problem with any medications (possibly because I'm 21 and female).

Well that was my life story on the drugs I've been prescribed. If you have questions about any of those antidepressants or amphetamines, or combinations of them, I'd be happy to tell you more about my own experiences.

gemini1313
01-11-10, 11:54 PM
This was kind of already touched on but I figured I would just basically restate what silent73 just said...

Wellbutrin is a dopamine reuptake inhibitor and amphetamines (such as Adderall) work by binding with dopamine transporter which decreases it's ability to clear out of the synaptic gap essentially. Amphetamines also inhibit monoamine oxidase which breaks down excess neurotransmitters in the synapse.

So essentially, Adderall makes more dopamine available in the synapse and Wellbutrin allows the dopamine to stay in the synapse longer, giving the dopamine more time to bind with receptors. Combining the two basically increases dopamine levels in your brain.

I am on Vyvanse and Lamictal myself, and I was hoping to quit smoking so I was thinking about asking about Wellbutrin. I am interested to see how effective it was for others.

I think you should definitely ask your doctor about Wellbutrin for smoking cessation. Wellbutrin is extremely useful in managing addictive behaviors. Also, Wellbutrin + Lamictal has been a good combo for me.

hollywood
01-12-10, 12:50 PM
gemini,

yes the super effects of stimulants meaning the buzz do wear off but not the positive aspects... You have to find the middle ground where the benefits come. They do work longterm but nothing will make life a everyday buzz.

kippras
01-20-10, 12:38 AM
I'm new around here but I thought I might pipe in. I've been recently diagnosed with Inattentive ADHD -- I keep telling people I don't have an H in my body.

I have been on Wellbutrin for about 4 months and last month I started my ADHD therapy and my doctor gave me 5mg of Ritalin for the morning and then 6 hours later, I would take another 5mg.

My experience with the Ritalin IR (generic methylphenidate) was good at first -- I had the usual initial fantastic feelings, not necessarily euphoria, but it definitely made me feel a lot better about myself. I was able to focus better and I was fine for the first two weeks. After that, the Ritalin started to cause my stomach to ache and it felt like it was twisting back on itself. I also was spotting (menstruation) during those last few weeks -- I use the Mirena IUD as birth control -- and had pretty severe cramps from it. My doctor had no idea as to what was going on and I've not seen anything online regarding any interactions between Ritalin and Mirena with the exception of one website that I wasn't all too familiar with.

Monday, I asked to switch to Adderall IR (the XR isn't covered by my insurance, yay). While this is still only Tuesday and I expected some sort of boost from the switch in medications, I absolutely LOVE the combination of Adderall IR and Wellbutrin. I take 5mg of Adderall and 150mg Wellbutrin SR in the morning when I wake up and 5mg at noon, then 2.5mg around 3 or 4pm with my 150mg Wellbutrin SR. At night, I take 25mg of Zoloft (generic) and 10mg of Ambien (generic) right before I go to bed. So far, the combination has felt fantastic. (I was prescribed 50mg of Zoloft a day, but 50mg is FAR too much with the combination of medications I'm currently taking -- makes me feel as though I am completely flat. Maybe due to the interactions between Adderall and Zoloft? I don't know but I do know I tried to go cold turkey without the Zoloft and there was no way I could do it, so I think I'm good at the moment.)

The only side effect I have really had with the Wellbutrin has been insomnia. Before I was diagnosed with ADHD, I tried Pristiq once a day. The combination of Pristiq and Wellbutrin kept me awake all night and I was given the Ambien to help me sleep.

So far, I love it -- yeah, the jury is officially still out, but as of right now, I'm quite happy. We've started my medications slowly and with the smallest dose we can and I'm pleased with that too. Most of all, I'm happy taking the Adderall 3 times a day -- two would be doable, but that third dose helps me to be able to think more clearly in the evenings and with my Ambien, I'm ok with sleep.

Just my experience :)

Magsmoll
01-20-10, 10:41 AM
I see your post about your tolerance is old, but i would love to hear how you are doing and your medication experiences. I was diagnosed 5 mths ago and did AWESOME on Vyvanse...for a couple of weeks. The dosage was increased and that worked..for a week and then my ADHD symptoms were magnified. I have since tried adderall and it was just ok and caused more feelings of anxiety. I was on Prozac and stopped everything to rule out toxicity. Now I am beginning to get depressed (at times) and am in a fog/ memory is shot. I am considering Wellbutrin and wanted to see how everything has worked out for you. Thanks for your post!!

TheBash
06-15-11, 03:50 PM
My Dr. gave me Wellbutrin XL 150 (generic) and Adderall IR 20mg to be taken up to 3x a day. Anyway, this combination actually makes me tired???

Anyone have a similar experience? Or know why this could be?

THX.

alkalineashes
06-15-11, 09:38 PM
was taking wellbutrin 300xl watson for about 2 weeks with my addy and dex and definitly had more anxiety. Mind seemed to never stop. It helped my focus before so id like to continue but will c.

alkalineashes
06-15-11, 09:47 PM
Sudasino- it has been my experience that the really noticeably positive effects of stimulants (i.e. super-organization, self-control) wear off the longer you take the medication due to tolerance. On the converse, with medications like Wellbutrin it would take a long time (if ever) to develop a tolerance. In any case, I don't think a high dose of one of those drugs would make the other less effective.

One of the main differences between Wellbutrin and other antidepressants is that it is a noreprinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitor, meaning it doesn't involve serotonin such as the more common SSRIs (paxil, celexa). Adderall also increases the amount of dopamine and noreprinephrine in the brain, which is probably why it makes sense to combine those two medications. Combining SSRIs and Adderall can cause what's called "serotonin syndrome", a life-threatening state in which the brain is overloaded with serotonin (although this is very rare, it is another reason why Adderall goes better with Wellbutrin than with SSRIs).

I have been prescriped the same drug "cocktail" that you are taking (Wellbutrin XL 300 + Amphetamine), although I recently switched from Adderall to Dexedrine, which is also used to treat ADHD; the difference is that while Adderall is made up of 4 different amphetamines, including dextroamphetamine, Dexedrine is pure dextroamphetamine. I switched because with Adderall my tolerance developed rapidly (I was taking about 80mg/day) and it also gave me the undesireable side effects of jaw-clenching, dry mouth, and a really bad come-down when the medication wore off--not good for someone who has major depression. I have not had these problems with Dexedrine (I take 40mg IR per day). I have also tried Ritalin, but I didn't feel that it did anything for me.

It probably makes a difference that I also take 200mg of Lamictal (a drug for bipolar disorder). I've heard that this may decrease the effectiveness of amphetamines, so if anything, my combo is less potent than it would be normally.

Over the years I have tried what seems like every antidepressant under the sun. I was put on Paxil at age 9 (my parents were *****ed up for doing that), went off of it at 12 and began taking Celexa, at which point I lost about 10 pounds (quite a bit for a 12-year-old). Freshman and Junior year in highschool I ceased using antidepressants, and those were two of the hardest years of my life. I then started taking Zoloft at age 18, but it didn't do me much good. From that point I was put on Effexor, which helped for a while, but then stopped working. Coming off Effexor was one of the scariest things in my life-- I experienced what people call "shocks": when I would close my eyes to sleep I would feel a surge of electricity going through my brain and I would see flashes of light even though my eyes were closed. I looked into this and of course there was no official information on it, but a lot of online discussion was going on with people having the same issue. When the withdrawals finally subsided, I was put on Wellbutrin and Lamictal, which I have taken for about 2 years and been quite content. I was considering going off Lamictal because I don't like being on so many meds (and I don't think I have bipolar disorder), but I'm finally at a stable point with these 3 so I think I'll stick with them for a while. One thing that I really like about the Wellbutrin is that it hasn't caused me to gain any weight. It also hasn't decreased my sex drive the way some antidepressants are supposed to, although I haven't really had that problem with any medications (possibly because I'm 21 and female).

Well that was my life story on the drugs I've been prescribed. If you have questions about any of those antidepressants or amphetamines, or combinations of them, I'd be happy to tell you more about my own experiences.

Ive had a somewhat similiar experience, alltho I didnt take anything until about 4 years ago. Ive had nightmarish withdrawl from xanax, halcion, even lexapro. I alwways seem to come back to both the xanax and lex tho, because they calm me like nothing else. (besides medical marijuana hwich i used for 2 years). I just started abilify which i guess is kinda like lamical but didnt feel great at 5 so im cutting my pills in half. Tryin to wean down my lex dose again but my doc keeps saying it shines at 20mg, but that feeels so artificial. id like to get down to 5mg. I guess i need more time on the abilify to see how it works, but remeron has been great for my insomnia, not sure of the antidepressant efffects because of everything else im taking.Im also rite on the border of bipolar 2, i think cyclothymia mite describe it.

cillianred
10-24-11, 05:59 PM
I plan on bringing up the Adderall and Wellbutrin combo to my doc tomorrow, so this is an extremely helpful thread.

I'm a tad concerned that I've developed somewhat of a tolerance to my 30 mg Adderall XR and 10 mg IR regimen and perhaps Wellbutrin can help address it. I'm well aware the "Adderall kick" goes away and that's probably for the best. I've just noticed a decreased ability to focus, concentrate and process information efficiently despite a good diet, regular exercise and 7-8 hours of sleep/night.

I certainly hope it can as I just don't feel like raising my dose or playing around with Magnesium and/or L-Tyrosine, as I briefly have before. Anyway, thanks for the insights!

cillianred
10-25-11, 02:57 PM
Eh, decided not to go this route. Wellbutrin's CYP2D6 action concerns me a bit when combined with Adderall.

Also switched allergy meds (from Claritin to Zyrtec) for similar, albeit not as pronounced, reasons. Adderall tolerance seems to be lowering, medication feels like it did from middle school through college and before Claritin. Hopefully this continues (fingers crossed).

I plan on bringing up the Adderall and Wellbutrin combo to my doc tomorrow, so this is an extremely helpful thread.

I'm a tad concerned that I've developed somewhat of a tolerance to my 30 mg Adderall XR and 10 mg IR regimen and perhaps Wellbutrin can help address it. I'm well aware the "Adderall kick" goes away and that's probably for the best. I've just noticed a decreased ability to focus, concentrate and process information efficiently despite a good diet, regular exercise and 7-8 hours of sleep/night.

I certainly hope it can as I just don't feel like raising my dose or playing around with Magnesium and/or L-Tyrosine, as I briefly have before. Anyway, thanks for the insights!

cillianred
04-04-12, 12:18 PM
Eh, decided not to go this route. Wellbutrin's CYP2D6 action concerns me a bit when combined with Adderall.

Also switched allergy meds (from Claritin to Zyrtec) for similar, albeit not as pronounced, reasons. Adderall tolerance seems to be lowering, medication feels like it did from middle school through college and before Claritin. Hopefully this continues (fingers crossed).

I should have heeded my doctor's (and my own) earlier advice. My doc issued me a Wellbutrin prescription and said to exercise extreme caution when taking it.

For those who have had success with the combo, that's awesome. For me, it was awful. I was spacey, foggy, forgetful and unmotivated just on the first day. I also had an all-day headache and, to top it off, my Adderall was effective for about 1-2 hours and then nothing.

I informed my doc and was told to stop the WB. I'm now feeling much better.

I may have a CYP2D6 issue as I've had awful side effects from every AD I've tried. And since I can't tolerate more than 60-70 mg of Adderall per day, which is normal for many ADHD adults, I'll stop dwelling on the tolerance issue.

Chicchick
05-28-12, 07:30 AM
I have tried WB with vyvanse.... nightmare. high would be an understatement. not a "nice" high either. more like the high someone gets with a high fever.

Tried WB with concerta as well. I was very happy (i miss that :() but it did little for focus, and I was quite tired/groggy all the time, a "zombie" feeling. WB and Ritalin helped for a few days, then nothing.

The best combo is WB with Adderall XR and IR booster. I'm on 300mgs WBXL and 25 AXR, 10IR. It has worked wonders for me, but my mood isn't even close to as happy I was on the concerta. I was more carefree and social, but I think in the long term the Adderall is helping me more. Some days it works like magic, other days it's just ok but overall I am happy with the results. my motivation is better than ever.

hollywood
05-28-12, 10:37 AM
interesting . Why do you say that wellbutrin and adderall is a better combination than say wellbutrin and concerta. It's a funny thing. I notice my fitness seems to be a bit more driven without wellbutrin and I can cut and shred faster. Now with wellbutrin for some odd reason when I stop wellbutrin I notice that I have a terrible time sustaining and gaining interest at work. I guess I have taken wellbutrin on and off for so long I have never really noticed how great it works . I mean I can't for the life of me understand how it makes me focus on work. Otherwise it seems I'm just trying to leave work.

Chicchick
05-29-12, 06:29 AM
interesting . Why do you say that wellbutrin and adderall is a better combination than say wellbutrin and concerta. It's a funny thing. I notice my fitness seems to be a bit more driven without wellbutrin and I can cut and shred faster. Now with wellbutrin for some odd reason when I stop wellbutrin I notice that I have a terrible time sustaining and gaining interest at work. I guess I have taken wellbutrin on and off for so long I have never really noticed how great it works . I mean I can't for the life of me understand how it makes me focus on work. Otherwise it seems I'm just trying to leave work.

I have noticed I'm less interested/driven to workout since starting Wellbutrin (with concerta or adderall) so it's a push. Being fitness-oriented it is disappointing. From a chemical standpoint, Amphetamine releases dopamine and NE, and Wellbutrin inhibits reuptake. I have found taking my adderall XR and taking the WB like 3-4 hours later makes a huge difference in focus. The wellbutrin alone helped my depression but made me VERY spacey and kind of dumb.... in a ditz kind of way, which is very odd for me. I don't think it was the combo of concerta and wellbutrin that wasn't as effective for me, I think it was the Concerta itself. I also suspect I was on too much (36mg when first starting any kind of stim) so maybe that's what it was. Just because i seem in a better mood on Ritalin-based meds, i've been thinking about giving focalin a try with the hopes that it won't zap my energy. Maybe within the next few months i'll give it a shot and see if it's a good combo with the WB.

hollywood
05-29-12, 10:26 AM
Wellbutrin definitely makes me spacey and dumb. I guess when your on it for a bit of time you don't really realize how it's affecting you anymore or what is making you feel some certain way. I think thats probably normal after taking something consistently and you dont recall what is causing what. Anyways, when I went down to 150 xl I realized my memory got better and then when I tried 150 immediate release ( the old school purple wellbutrin ) I noticed my memory got even better. By that I mean I think it's in the blood shorter in duration and doesnt cause that hangover or reuptake your receptors too long...? I don't know but I also know that taking wellbutrin later ( usually at 2pm ) works better than taking it in the morning and afternoon with my stimulants. Oh stimulants are alot more effective without wellbutrin though. Yesterday I tried 300xl since I've been on 150xl for awhile and going down. The first day on 300 my memory sucked and I became stupid again...Literally and it was a large leap because my energy has been good since going down. I quit today. I don't have anymore of the rx and won't fill it . See ya sucker wellbutrin. It took me too long to stop this dumb medication but I won't sacrifice my personality and become a zombie for you.

Chicchick
05-30-12, 08:14 AM
Wellbutrin definitely makes me spacey and dumb. I guess when your on it for a bit of time you don't really realize how it's affecting you anymore or what is making you feel some certain way. I think thats probably normal after taking something consistently and you dont recall what is causing what. Anyways, when I went down to 150 xl I realized my memory got better and then when I tried 150 immediate release ( the old school purple wellbutrin ) I noticed my memory got even better. By that I mean I think it's in the blood shorter in duration and doesnt cause that hangover or reuptake your receptors too long...? I don't know but I also know that taking wellbutrin later ( usually at 2pm ) works better than taking it in the morning and afternoon with my stimulants. Oh stimulants are alot more effective without wellbutrin though. Yesterday I tried 300xl since I've been on 150xl for awhile and going down. The first day on 300 my memory sucked and I became stupid again...Literally and it was a large leap because my energy has been good since going down. I quit today. I don't have anymore of the rx and won't fill it . See ya sucker wellbutrin. It took me too long to stop this dumb medication but I won't sacrifice my personality and become a zombie for you.

I actually found the 150XL made me worse than 300
xl, maybe because at 150 the side effects were outweighing to positive effects. I wish I was able to get off of it, but I know unmedicated my depression is so severe it's just playing with fire. Wellbutrin seems to be the only med that is really helpful, just the zombie feeling I have in the morning before taking my adderall is awful. Of all anti-depressants it seems to have a much more "drugged" feeling to it, like it feels like I am "on" something to a degree. not a good feeling or bad, just there. I never experienced this on SSRIs, though they were all just awful, no drugged feeling.

another thing that is alarming is my memory loss. I can't remember much from before being treated.

hollywood
05-30-12, 11:33 AM
Yeah I know what you mean. I think the sort of depression symptoms I've had are the feeling apathetic ones and just no direction type symptoms. Yes , wellbutrin does pretty much do the trick on this . I just can't stand the side effects anylonger and can't imagine my life going on like this. I mean somebody asks how I feel about one thing or another and I'm just void. I choose not to live my life like that.

Yes, I agree with you , the ssri's are aweful too. No, they don't have that drugged feeling that you get with wellbutrin but the side effects of being sedated and just too fatigued to be yourself are equally as bad in other ways. I cannot live like that either. I just choose not too anymore. I've been on wellbutrin since the fall of last year and just now quit. I had some headaches but nothing major. I'm just tired of it. I may go back, I may not.

For me the 150xl is far more tolerable than the 300 dose. The 150xl is not half as effective as the sr "old school wellbutrin though" . I didn't even realize until I found the old sustained release 150 sr pills that I had stored away from a few years agon. The xl stinks compared to those, basically the effects are extended for a lapse of magnitude or strength.

For me I'd say pre wellbutrin I spend alot of time killing time and so on so I really have to push myself to be mindful and live in the now, for me thats what wellbutrin has done, it forces me to try and be productive so I know if I need it then I can always go back, yet it also makes me not really aware of my overall direction in life so it's not by any means a perfect fit.

Regarding the ssri's and snri's I do think they are helpful for depression and dampening down emotional ties to feelings and triggers. The fact is they really , really stink though and its tough for people with adhd to accept life on any snri or ssri. They are just yucky.

Anyways, the best thing to do is to slowly change your daily habits and throw in new things to do and start new hobbies when you feel habit forming repetitive thoughts. It's the only way and naturally is I think the best path, otherwise your stuck on these meds for years and they add up quickly . Before you know it you could lose sight on who you are as a person if your not mindful.

I have to say that being off wellbutrin will present a small challenge for staying motivated but I know that keeping my stimulants more effective and restoring my natural energy levels rely on stopping these for some time . I am tired of antidepressants and thinking they will cure me. They are a tool , but I have not the patience to trial them one by one and worsen my adhd in hopes for a benefit down the road. This may be dumb, I don't know... Yet, I am just at the end of the road with all the mind altering medications. I cannot be myself on them anymore and I've had my last day and last moment when somebody tells me a story and then asks me whats going on and I cannot think for a minute what I like or dislike or whats going on in my head.. That is just aweful.

If I had to choose an antidepressant that felt like it worked it would probably be prozac... In my opinion it was the only one where I felt like myself yet the fatigue really stinks even on prozac.. Anyways, thats my rant for now. I think if you are thinking about adjuncts and have adhd you should think stimulants, modanfil, tenex and then wellbutrin if needed. Anything else would be out for me .

hollywood
07-25-12, 02:37 PM
Well I have stopped wellbutrin and didn't take it as usual this morning and so far I was less anxious at lunch and didnt feel dizzy and out of it at lunch either which is the strange symptoms wellbutrin has been giving me at noon if I take it at 9 am in the morning . I really don't know why this dizzy feeling was happening at this time but I guess it was the wellbutrin making me feel just out of it. I would feel okay in the morning but then my memory would be shot from noon until the end of the day . So for whatever reason it was screwing with my memory . Maybe it was the anxiety it caused. Not sure but screw it , I'm not doing that again. I think the motivation boost it gave is terrific but seriously what use am I if I cannot remember what I'm saying or doing all day.