View Full Version : look for advice on tourettes

destx
09-07-06, 08:42 PM
Hi I am 17 years old and for about 5-6 years now I have had tics little things I just do and can't really control, most frequently I hum or twictch my eyes and I have the feeling that I have to do it untill I am "satisfied" I guess is the only way I can put it. I don't think I can go a day or even a couple of hours without doing it. For year I have told myself its all in my head and when people start to notice it feels as I hum louder and I just can't control it. I have never been able to really talk to any one about it because as all humans are I hate to show weakness. I really don't know what I should do about it because I will do it and some times my mom will just be like stop doing that and things like that. When really I feel I can't control it... I am not sure if this is tourettes but after reading up I feel it is the most suited.

theta
09-10-06, 02:24 AM
It very likely tourettes. Oh do you
have ADHD? Studies show 35% to 90% tourettes suffers do. I guess you
do since your here. From what I read
anti-ADHD meds tend to make tourettes worst(not all the meds).
What meds are you taking. Is your
ADHD primary inattentive, hyper or
combined?

destx
09-10-06, 10:25 AM
I haven't been diagnosed with add/adhd I thought this area was just for tourettes.

tsdad
09-18-06, 01:32 PM
Destx,
I have two sons with TS as well as ADD. When you said 'until I am satisfied' it really touched home. Both of my sons have said something very similar.
There is a lot of information on TS on the web. The Tourette Syndrome Foundation of Canada has a very active forum on their site. Another good site is www.tourettesyndrome.net. It has information about all of the co-occuring disorders. Hope this helps.
The most important thing is for you to realize that it is your body and not you. The most stunning thing that my oldest son said to me was that, when he was young before we understood his TS, he felt like he had a monster inside of him. If you dont have the facts, you tell yourself something!
Find a community of people to talk to. There are thousands of young men your age with TS.

Good luck,
Dan
ADDer, father of two TS/ADD/OCD sons and ADD Coach