View Full Version : Frustrated Mom in Central NY really needs HELP!!!

krashgirl
09-09-06, 09:06 PM
:mad: I am going to give a little background about my son Hunter. He started showing signs of defiance about 2 1/2 years old. I chalked it up to those "terrible two's". It continued and has gotten MUCH worse. He is now 7 going on 8 and I am at the end of my roap dealing with these behaviors. He started getting tested at age 3 in Florida...where I was told he had ADHD. However my son's father didnt want me to persue anything saying he was "fine". Upon entering Pre-K in NY ( also after leaving my ex) I was told that my son didnt have Behavior problems ...that I needed parenting classes. Now FINALLY I have a HUGE file of reports and complaints from teachers about his behavior. I just had him tested over the summer and was told he has ADHD and ODD. I have not gotten the final report yet...but should receive within the next 2 weeks or so. I am at a loss as what to do. I get the crap kicked out of me by my child. He is mean and violent to his brother and step-father. I can NOT go out in public without feeling like a COMPLETE ***. I have spoken to his doctor about medication and I was told "we dont like to sedate children". I am NOT looking to have my son drooling in a corner. I just want to be able to have 1 hour without the "Frantic" life I have become use to. My son goes to a school that likes to make their own rules. Their new student handbook mentions "corporal punishment", "strip searches" and even a little note about how a students haircolor can have disiplinary actions. I really need help knowing what my childs rights are. I would like thoughts and advise on medications that you might have information on. Any other information that you may feel helpful PLEASE post. THANK YOU!!!:o

scuro
09-09-06, 11:38 PM
Wow...find a new doctor. Don't take him out in public unless you have too. Do a trial of meds, what do you have to lose? How about a new school?

...and learn.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26290&page=2&pp=15&highlight=taking+charge+adhd
Start at post #2

NotSureAnyMore
09-13-06, 09:21 PM
Central NY is pretty poor when it comes to psychiatrists that are good at treating adhd and related disorders.

You might have to take some time and have him evaulated at a hospital in NYC :-(

Justmelex
09-26-06, 03:41 PM
I am in the same boat you are. MY son is 9 and I have been to so many specialests that I cant keep count. I have tryed many medications. He was seeing a psh. and now that I have him on the appropriate medications He seems much happier. I learned from some Parenting classes that when these kids are in the rage they are experencing feelings that overwhelm them. I cant take my son out unless I can see that he is in a good mood. Me being a single parent I have no one that I can count on to help with him when I have an appointment. I usually have to depend on my 13 year old daughter, but I cant always make her his keeper. I know that their are some online places you can go to find the appropriate solution for your son. If I can be of any help go ahead and email me. I need to find people who are in the same situation as I and maybe together we can help one another. I am a good listener and I have read alot into this condition and can offer some solutions.