View Full Version : From Adderall XR to New Daytrana Patch

mjsouth
09-13-06, 07:06 PM
It's been quite some time since I've posted, but have been reading all the posts everyday. Thanks to all for advice, opinions, etc.

My 10-yr old was switched yesterday from Adderall 5 mg (xr) to the new Daytrana patch. He had taken a "holiday" all summer from a much higher dose of the Adderall and we decided to start school with the 5mg. This school year has been much more difficult, not just because of the lower dose, I think; but also due to the fact he is in 4th grade, and it seems the load is too much for him. His teacher describes him as very intelligent, good boy; but just severely absentminded, not-focused, etc, you know the drill.

So, he will start his patch for the first time tomorrow. My question is with the new patch. I can't find a lot on the internet, including this board, on the patch, other than the promotional, company-FDA-product information. I'm a nurse and drug rep, so the clinical-pharma stuff I'm very familiar with. I like to hear the real-world experience with drugs to get the truth about how they work.

Has anyone out there tried this yet? If not, then this patch is basically methylphenidate-Ritalin, so has anyone had experience switching from Adderall XR to say, Ritalin or Concerta? I greatly appreciate your help!!!!

D.B. Cooper
09-13-06, 11:00 PM
Its just ritalin on a transdermal patch, the only difference is its delivery system. Actually it *may* be focalin but focalin is basically ritalin with the Levo isomer taken out. Either way the experiance wont be much different than any of the numerous extended release pills of ritalin. Its really really new in patch form but the medication its self is a tried and true med thats been used for children with add for many years.

The whole ritalin vs adderal/d-amphetamine thing basically boils down to personal preference. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes when it comes to the meds.

mjsouth
09-14-06, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the info. You sound like you know a great deal about pharmaceuticals and how they work. I found another post where someone looked at the rate of drug delivery per hour and suggested that because onece the patch is put on, it takes almost an hour to start the delivery process.

I looked at it and even in the 30 mg dose, it only gives about 3 mg/hr. The other poster commented that it may take all day to finally build up blood levels, then you take the patch off and you are left with getting it out of your system for sleeping. I am concerned that he won't be covered during the early morning hours, so tomorrow I'll probably give a 5 mg dextrostat to help him get started.

Evidently, the Shire reps are pushing this patch because my own MD had mentioned it a few weeks ago. I'll give an update once we have some experience with it. Thanks again for the help!

MGDAD
09-18-06, 05:55 PM
You should look up the physicians prescription descriptions on the meds web site. While I am no Dr. I can read a graph, and the way that the med dosage builds up from that Daytrana patch is less than optimum. During the 8hr period that you wear the patch, the concentration just slowly builds up. For example (reading from the chart) if you use the 20mg patch, the concentrations will be as follows.

after 1hr conc. is 1ng/ml
after 4hr conc. is 7.5ng/ml
after 6hr conc. is 12ng/ml
after 8hr conc. is 15ng/ml

I don't like the idea of having 2x as much med after 8 hours than you did at 4 hours.

OTOH, Focalin XR has a kind of "double hump" concentration graph. With the 20mg focalin XR you are up to 11ng/ml after just one hour. It peaks at 13.5ng/ml and drops to 8.5ng/ml at about 4hours, then goes back up to 13ng/ml at hour 6 then begins to taper off again. This is a much more constant concentration of medicine. Seems much better than the patch. Concerta is even better than Focalin. There are other factors to consider too, but that is my .02.

hammer2020
01-22-07, 09:19 PM
I am currently on adderall xr 15 mg and am going to try daytrana on my next dr. appt here in a couple of weeks.

nzkiwi
01-23-07, 12:06 AM
I don't know if going thru the skin versus the liver makes a difference, probably not. I do know that first past effect thru the liver deactivates and changes the parent compound(ritalin) into metabolites that may cause side effects or alter response to the drug. I guess ya don't know till ya try.

JR1973
01-23-07, 02:46 PM
check out this website. If I doesn't paste in just google "askdrjones". Once on the site click on ADHD on the right side of the page. Very informative info from a long time praticing doc.

http://www.askdrjones.com/2006/11/06/how-to-use-the-daytrana-patch/

J

Edward
04-19-07, 03:55 PM
Its just ritalin on a transdermal patch, the only difference is its delivery system. Actually it *may* be focalin but focalin is basically ritalin with the Levo isomer taken out. Either way the experiance wont be much different than any of the numerous extended release pills of ritalin. Its really really new in patch form but the medication its self is a tried and true med thats been used for children with add for many years.

When d/l-threo-methlyphenidate is taken orally(e.g., Ritalin) d-threo-methlphenidate is probably responsible for all of the effects, but when d/l-threo-methlyphenidate is worn as a patch(i.e., Daytrana) l-threo-methlphenidate is probably responsible about 5-10% of the effects.

I learned this from the first full paragraph on page 730 of "Methylphenidate and its Isomers Their Role in the Treatment of Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Using a Transdermal Delivery System" by David J. Heal and David M Pierce.

Just thought that was a fascinating finding :)