View Full Version : PDA/hearing loss

foothillbilly
09-13-06, 07:36 PM
I have a Palm Zire PDA, which is very basic but works for me. The only hangup is that I can't hear the alerts except in very quiet environments, because my right ear doesn't work.

I would like to get something cheaper than a smartphone because my cell phone provider will rip me off (force me to pay for data service I don't need or want). I could probably get a smartphone and not put it on the cellular service, but that's a fairly expensive PDA.

Does anyone know of a PDA with louder alert sounds?

Calvin

speedo
09-13-06, 08:15 PM
Some of the HP handhelds are pretty loud. Go try one in a store and see. :)

ME :D

I have a Palm Zire PDA, which is very basic but works for me. The only hangup is that I can't hear the alerts except in very quiet environments, because my right ear doesn't work.

I would like to get something cheaper than a smartphone because my cell phone provider will rip me off (force me to pay for data service I don't need or want). I could probably get a smartphone and not put it on the cellular service, but that's a fairly expensive PDA.

Does anyone know of a PDA with louder alert sounds?

Calvin

foothillbilly
09-13-06, 08:20 PM
I don't have all the knowledge I'd like to have. I'm sure HP is Hewlett-Packard; is "handheld" one of those minicomputers? (And I'm not sure what kind of store to find them in.P

Calvin

VisualImagery
09-13-06, 08:21 PM
I agree with Speedo-the HP's, I have one are pretty loud. You could also contact HP-their service people are almost always wonderful and tell them about your hearing loss and they might have an add-on or other solution for someone who is disabled-you would not be using it as an excuse and most companies bend over backwards to help those with disabilities because of fear of lawsuits-not that you would do that!

Let us know what you find out-some day I might need that too!-and If I am too far away I can't hear mine. I am a woman and I do not wear a belt and have it on my body at all times!

Hope this helps and let us know what you learn-I am interested!
RADD

foothillbilly
09-13-06, 08:58 PM
So I'd go to a computer-type store to look at these (and listen to them)? Do you have any suggestions about specific models? What I saw when I looked on E-Bay was "Jornada"; the ones on HP's web site were IPAQ's. The IPAQs are a little beyond my budget (but I'd try harder if they're "all that"); they start at $300. Probably somewhere on ebay I could find one cheaper if I knew what I was looking for.

VisualImagery
09-13-06, 09:05 PM
Read Cnet on cnet.com, google for reviews of each of the PDA's you are considering, compare prices online, go look at them at the stores and try them out. Then, find the cheapest price for the one you choose-order it and use it. Pocket Informant is a great PIM! It is quite easy to use-and I love the color choices-there just are not enough!

Oh, alarm notes on any handheld can have pop-up dialog boxes, flashing green light, and sound-3-way notification. If they could add vibrate to PDA's for the hearing impaired-Hey, maybe they have that option if you ask!, that would help too!

RADD-the online shopping maven-able to find the cheapest price 98% of the time. Including shipping if charged!

foothillbilly
09-14-06, 06:35 PM
Cnet.com will be a real resource. I spent about an hour there & I will go back as time allows.

I meant to find Hewlett-Packard's web site but got distracted by cnet.com. I'll try again.

I'm starting out further behind than I explained on this particular front. I've used PCs and now a laptop but I don't understand the terminology of the smaller devices. Will I find these "handhelds" in a computer store like MicroCenter? A general electronics place like Circuit City? Somewhere else?

I'm starting to feel trapped into having a smartphone that I can't use as a phone.

Calvin

VisualImagery
09-14-06, 07:42 PM
It depends on the store! and how many if any versions they carry! The marketing gurus are in control of what goes on the shelves-if it doesn't move very fast-it goes away! Check the stores' websites first! Then call before making the trip-especially with the price of gas!

RADD

foothillbilly
09-27-06, 06:37 PM
:eek: Maybe the next time I'll just take my chances on the Internet. The biggest hangup in looking for a PDA that makes a loud-enough sound was finding somebody smart enough and willing enough to get a sound from an HP unit. I went to 2 Best Buy stores, 1 Radio Shack, 1 Staples (which does sell them) and 2 CompUSA. Finally, at the second CompUSA (it's a "training store" according to the web site), a young man did what I asked as if it were nothing. The HP is about three times as loud as my Palm.

I went ahead and bought the HP iPAQ rx1955. This thing cost $300. I don't recommend it unless you desperately need the increase in sound volume, as I do.

It has features I don't even understand the names of, much less want or need. On top of that, it's noticeably less intuitive than the Palm.

Plus, the iPAQ connects to the laptop via Outlook. I've never set up Outlook before. I have no idea what happened, but it kept me from getting my email on Yahoo. I uninstalled it; now I have to do everything on the unit until I get this figured out; I can't enter data on the laptop (with the keyboard; I type for a living) and then "synch" it into the iPAQ. I have a book from the library on this version of Outlook and another on the "iPAQ Pocket PC," which is a close as I could get to the one I have.

Thus far, I haven't been able to use the free Wi-Fi which is plentiful here in Columbus. I'll probably get it figured out sooner or later, but it's a lot more difficult than the same job on my laptop.

I imagine that I'll get more of this stuff to work over time, but I didn't get 3 times the value of my Palm Zire even though I paid triple the price.

VisualImagery
09-27-06, 09:57 PM
It takes a little while to figure out-I just switched my email from yahoo to outlook-call your service provider they will walk you through the email issue! Mine did-SBC,ATT, they were really nice!

YOu have something very new-and a good price I might add. Learn one thing at a time, don't try to master it all in one day-it is impossible. It will become you best friend. I have an older model with no wi-fi or blue tooth,

Helpful hint: Oh, go the sync window, click on the tools menu and choose add/remove programs. Then you can choose to remove internet explorer and email from linking with your PDA-that will solve the yahoo problem for now-Whil you are there eliminate any other programs that you are not using-check or uncheck the little boxes. It removes them from the PDA, but they are still on your main computer and can be reinstalled later if you want to! Download a trial copy of Pocket Informant-it is an excellent PIM-personal information manager. Go to www.pocketinformant.com (http://www.pocketinformant.com) It works really well and is very intuitive! Just takes time to learn the details, but you can get the major stuff running in no time!

Hope this helps,
BEcky

foothillbilly
09-28-06, 05:33 AM
First of all, thank you for your help. I'd still be lost without it.

For today, I'll keep using the iPAQ as is. I've mastered enough of the organizer functions to have a beginning.

I'll begin to learn what you're talking about gradually. The Pocket Informant looks like a good deal for when I get the $$ (soon); I don't know if I can download it without the laptop or not. I played with the wi-fi part a little bit yesterday and I've used free (open) Wi-Fi on my laptop, so I might be able to go that way with it. The hangup there is the small screen.

"Switching" my email might be a bit of a big project for me, but one of my stepdaughters has a boyfriend who works with this stuff and might be able to help. I'll be reluctant about going away from Yahoo because I've used it easily for a long time and because I'll be moving away from my pricey ISP. I'd rather not talk to them anyhow (Time-Warner), but my wife can work with them, so we'll just see what happens on that front.

VisualImagery
09-28-06, 06:38 PM
YOu can stay on Yahoo! I just choose not to! There is some way to set it up either way. I am just not geek enough to know how. I have been on Yahoo since February, with no problems. Just need find outlook easier to use and I need easy to create folders-yahoo just takes too long to find the info I want. -You can use outlook with out the email-just the calendar, task, and note features once it is set up correctly. =Glad there is a geek somewhere in your life!

RADD

foothillbilly
09-29-06, 05:50 AM
Thank you. I've always like Yahoo, and I like that I can use it regardless of ISPs. My life hasn't been all that stable, and I've been through some different ones. I wouldn't want to set up a different email with all my mailing lists, etc., each time I change those. Plus, we're getting ready to either move or "fulltime" in an RV, so that would be another big change to go through.

I'll probably take another shot at the Outlook this weekend, when I don't have the job to deal with. Then we'll see about Pocket Informant.

Thanks again,

Calvin

VisualImagery
09-29-06, 08:25 PM
FH, I predict you will soon be lost without your PDA! It took me quite awhile and lots of frustration, but now, I wouldn't leave home without it-forget the credit cards-heck yea, my iPaq, never.

I am even thinking of getting a solar recharger for a trip to Australia so I can use it-don't trust converters with my AbbyNormal-yes, she has a name even! And I can program her to nag me! But she is not like my mom! :D

Oh, one last thing, always keep it recharged-if the battery completely discharges, you will have to reload and set up everything like it is brand new! No likey that! Hook it up whenever you are at your computer or at night when you go to bed.

RADD
Who can't believe she is helping someone with technology! :faint: I may become a geek after all!

foothillbilly
09-30-06, 06:36 AM
In order:

FH is one abbreviation I've missed. Oh, well.

I already knew not to leave home without a PDA. I have a belt pouch that I've been using for the Palm. The new one fits into the same pouch, although I'll be looking for a better one.

A solar recharger sounds like a great idea. I've already realized that the IPAQ is a lot more power hungry than the Palm. So much so that it worries me. Solar also works well with my environmentalist approach.

"Nagging me" is the whole idea. If I could remember all this, all I'd need would be an address book.

I guess a few (very few) people see me as a geek. It's very erratic, though. I only know the things where I've survived the frustration.

Calvin

foothillbilly
09-30-06, 06:43 AM
PS: Further update

I tried re-installing the Outlook, and it seems to have straightened itself out. I intended to custom-install it without the email function, but didn't. I just did the standard installation, checked my Yahoo mail, and it works. I have no idea why, but I'm not arguing. I suppose I should check the Roadrunner email, but I don't actually use that one anyhow. It came with the service, and I forwarded it to the Yahoo mail.