View Full Version : Hallowell Ctr - Complementary Therapies

Scattered
09-14-06, 11:49 AM
Dr. Hallowell and Dr. Sorgi are pleased to announce the Hallowell Complementary Therapies division located in the Hallowell Center in Sudbury. Its purpose is to offer patients effective diagnostic and non-medication treatment options for ADD and its co- existing conditions. For more information on both programs, please visit our website at www.DrHallowell.com (http://www.drhallowell.com/). Below is a description of the three services currently offered at the Hallowell Center in Sudbury, Mass. To inquire further about these programs or to make an appointment, please call us at (978) 287-0810.

Quantitative electroencephalogram (QEEG) is the only objective test for determining the presence or absence of ADD in children and adults under age 30. It is a non-invasive measurement of brain waves in a focused and resting condition. Results are 90% accurate and are available in 24 hours. We use the QEEG as an adjunctive tool to arrive at the most accurate diagnosis and optimal treatment approach for our patients.

The DORE Program is a drug-free, exercise- based program for the treatment of ADHD, dyslexia, and other learning difficulties. Clients are assessed using state-of-the-art equipment to determine cerebellar function. DORE has found that those affected by learning difficulties exhibit very poor use of auditory and/or visual senses. DORE believes this delay in the development of the cerebellum is the root cause of learning difficulties. Based upon the assessment results, an individualized cerebellar stimulation exercise program is prescribed which minimizes or eliminates Cerebellar Development Delay (CDD), a condition where the connectors that link the thinking brain (cerebrum) are not fully developed.

The exercises are simple to perform taking five to ten minutes, twice a day, but complex in their effect on the cerebellum. DORE exercise combinations and sequences stimulate the cerebellum, allowing the client to process information more efficiently and rapidly. The results are improvements in cognitive skills, motor skills and the reduction or elimination of a host of other symptoms associated with learning difficulties. The average program takes from 12 to 15 months.

Low Energy Neurofeedback (LENS) created by Len Ochs, Ph.D. is a form of brain wave biofeedback, or neurofeedback. Neurofeedback is a non-invasive procedure that monitors and analyzes EEG (brain activity) using the EEG information as feedback. The feedback is delivered through the same cables that are used to monitor brainwaves. The feedback signal is of profoundly low power, safe and invisible, but produces measurable changes in brain activity. The EEG signals that are recorded via the surface/non-invasive electrodes influence the feedback, and the feedback, in turn, normalizes the brain activity. The results have been very good. Patients (ages 12+) with ADD have reported significant improvements in executive functioning and reduced symptoms of restlessness, distractibility and impulsivity within 12-15 sessions. Mild to moderate brain injury patients have been seen to easily recover ability to take in information, improve in short-term memory, organization, sequencing, prioritizing, sensory discrimination, initiation, confidence, assertiveness, and sense of humor by approximately 6 sessions. Depression, irritability, and explosiveness respond within the same 6 sessions. More severe problems require longer treatments. Visits are usually 1-2 times a week; the frequency and intensity will vary based on patients’ reports at each session.

Barring a new head trauma, there have not been any relapses or regressions after treatment. Other conditions that improve with LENS training include bipolar depression, anxiety, OCD, fibromyalgia and Asperger’s. It is important to note that the results from the LENS treatment are the same as those from other forms of neurofeedback, but LENS accomplishes improved functioning in approximately one quarter the time, with the same durability of treatment effects. The LENS system is FDA approved.

chloe516
09-14-06, 07:57 PM
I go to the Hallowell Center for one of their groups and like it. The staff is very responsive to people and their needs. Really good group of people too. I love how they hire people who have ADHD themselves. Expensive place, but if you can afford it, I think it's great! I ended up paying to go their for diagnosis and am so glad I did!

*~ §EEK ~*
11-07-06, 09:50 AM
When they say "complementary therapies" do they mean:

1) They're Free? LOL :D (I know, not likely but I thought I'd ask anyway!)

2) They're provided in addition to, or to go along with there standard therapies?

or

3) A form of treatment/therapies outside the mainstream that is not considered a cure but is given to ease symptoms or contribute to general well-being?

Just curious! :)

BTW, I noticed that they will be adding MBCT too.

Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) coming later this year to the
Hallowell Center. MBCT is based on research that shows that a new combination of meditation and cognitive therapy can help those who experience depression relapse. In 8 weekly classes one can learn how to disentangle themselves from depressed mood and thinking.