View Full Version : Big Question about possible new job

lunaslobo
09-15-06, 09:41 AM
I need to know something. When and if i get hired should I tell my new boss about the ADD? If so, when. Should this be something I tell in the interview, or something to tell after I get the job? I dont know if this is something that the employers need to know first.

pittguy578
09-16-06, 12:56 PM
I am not sure on that one
I have never told any bosses.
I have heard good things and bad things about telling a boss...

I think it may depend on the boss's personality. If they are sympathetic, then it may be ok. If they are a hardass, then maybe not...

Just my own two cents..

*~ žEEK ~*
09-16-06, 01:50 PM
After you get the job, many places will then send you for a physical. That would be the time to mention it if you feel compelled to do so.

That's when I told them. Then about 1 year later I told my boss. It's now 4 years later and I've never suffered for telling them about my ADD.

It's probably wiser to have it documented in the HR department. However, I held off doing so. I figured if some big problem came up I would go to HR and discuss it with them then if I felt I needed to.

BTW, I recommend getting the book "Every Employee's Guide to the Law" by Lewin G. Joel, if you haven't done so. I've found that knowing my rights, and how to protect myself on the job makes me much more comfortable at work than the informing them that I have ADD ever did.

Here's an Amazon.com link for the book I mentioned --> http://www.amazon.com/Every-Employees-Guide-Lewin-Joel/dp/0375714456

Anyway, Good Luck!

Peace! :)

lunaslobo
09-17-06, 12:44 AM
thank you so much for the link and the replies. It just seems that in the job i was recently fired from, things went down hill fast after I told my boss about my ADD.

susane
09-18-06, 11:20 AM
Yeah, that's a toughy. It is hard to know when to tell and when not to tell. I told after getting hired (about 6 months into the job) and it has worked out fine, but I think instinct plays a huge part. My current bosses are very understanding, so it was easy to tell when issues started to crop up because they wanted to help me get over them.

I am not really sure what you should do. There is a ton of information on the web and in books, however, that address ADD issues in the workplace. Maybe this is a good place to start. Find out what your job responsibilities will be ahead of time and identify areas that may be difficult due to your ADD. Then prepare yourself ahead of time...self accomodation in a sense. Instead of worrying about ADD effecting your job performance, be proactive, start your job prepared with items that will help you through the tough areas.

For instance, my daughter has ADD and recently transferred to a 4 year college. She was worried about her ability to manage school and work, so we bought her a PDA with alarms that go off well ahead of deadlines to remind her she needs to start focusing on starting a project or an assignment...even if it means just allocating 30 minutes out of the day to get started. It seems to be working so far and at the very least, she started school with the mindset that managing her ADD was key to her successfully maintaining a good GPA.

So maybe, starting the new job armed and ready to manage your ADD will help get you off to a good start and provide incentive for your continued success...whether you decide to tell them or not. I really wish you the best and I know it is difficult and challenging...challenge is a good thing though...especially for us ADDers.

I hope you get the job and good luck.

lunaslobo
09-19-06, 08:53 AM
I had the interview last night and it went very well. I was nervous of course but I tried not to let that show. sounds like she liked what I had to say. I did not bring up the ADD at this point. decided not to, that way there is no pre concieved notions. I should have an offer by the end of the week if she wants to hire me.

superdave
09-19-06, 09:00 AM
Glad to hear that the interview went well, Lobo. Keep us posted!