View Full Version : Our quick favourite DINNERS (and not so quick favourites!)

ADDitives
09-16-06, 04:45 AM
Yes, Favourite it spelled correctly if you are in England or Australia (or new zealand, south africa, and any other country that learns EFL)

This thread is to post my favourite things which aren't posted elsewhere.

This thread is also to post YOUR favourites things.

Simple, people pleasers. (but not necessarily 'quick' recipes)

Some of the things I post won't necessarily be 'quick' and usually I will post an 'idea' not a 'recipe' (but if you're lucky i'll post the ingredients!)

Hopefully this thread will turn into a useful ideas thread for "WHAT'S FOR DINNER?"

Fancy version of 'sausages in bread':
Toast Turkish (pide) bread or something else you like - I prefer to toast the bread in the sandwich press
Cut the pre-cooked sausages in half lengthways.
Panfry cherry tomatoes (which you already cut in half).
Garnish inside with Italian (flatleaf) parsley.
Add a favourite sauce - e.g. lime dressing, mayonnaise, HP sauce.

Bangers and Mash
Cut your pre-cooked sausages (in diagonal slices - about 1/2 inch thick) and refry with chopped onions, chopped bacon, herbs e.g. rosemary.
Make gravy with gravox powder, and Worcestershire sauce (be generous).
Add salt.
Peel, overboil and mash potatoes add milk and salt and whatever else you want to.
Pile potatoes onto place, spoon on the refried sausages, drizzle sauce everywhere!
Sprinkle some herbs ontop (e.g. some cut up rosemary)

Bangers and Polenta
Do all of the above, but use 'polenta' instead of mashed potatoes.

If you don't know - it's yellow grainy looking stuff like sand, it's made from corn. You follow the directions on the packet to cook it - you can get instant, but the normal polenta only takes 10 mins of constant stirring.
You will need a stronger sauce if you use polenta, because it has a very bland flavour and takes on other flavours well.

that's all for now - coming soon: spicy meatballs, and variations with chicken and guess it right : the sausages again!

:) :) :)

feel free to also add your own variations to what i suggest, or what other people suggest in the future!

because GOD KNOWS we don't want to eat the SAME THING for every night!!

ADDitives
10-01-06, 06:06 AM
OK.... enough with the sausages! Let's get something different happening here!

Here's one I've been cooking once a week for the past 3 weeks, with differing variations.

SPICY TOMATO CHICKEN

For this recipe, I use chicken breast cut into 1 inch or a little larger cubes. You could use chicken drumsticks or any other piece you like, or even try roasting in the sauce!

The recipe below will turn out like a 'stew' sort of thing, or a very chunky pasta sauce!

Anyway... here's what you do

- Fry half a large, chopped (e.g. diced) brown onion with 3 - 4 rashers of bacon, cut into half inch squares.
- Add chopped chicken (or chopped and pre-cooked sausages).
- When chicken is partly cooked, splash in about a tablespoon of red wine - stir and boil off. Wait 2 mins and add another splash, stir and boil off.
- Fry until you're satisfied, then add a tin of crushed or diced tomatoes. Put about an inch of water in the tin, and wash it around, and tip that into the saucepan too. Stir.
- Bring to boil and add salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon of powdered chicken stock, and about half a tablespoon of chilli sauce (or something else you like e.g. a little tobasco). Stir.
- Bring to boil, stir, and simmer on a low heat with the lid on for 5 mins.
- Stir, add chopped red and green capsicum (bell peppers; chopped about an inch to inch and half squares),
- Simmer 5 mins low heat with lid on.
- Turn off heat, add half a cup of frozen peas, and add chopped spinach if you want to. Stir through, and leave sitting with lid on for a further 5 mins.

Serve with penne pasta, aborio rice, or polenta.

Recipe serves 2 - 3.

You will only need one pan, a chopping board and a selection of knives, a wooden spoon or plastic stirrer, and the pot you use for your pasta or polenta.

Don't forget your bowls and spoons to eat it! It's soooo good!

p.s. if it's for kids, don't put much chilli sauce in there! The bacon gives a lot of flavour anyway.

I'm having it for dinner tonight. Tomorrow I'm making chicken pies... stay tuned to find out how! ;)

VARIATIONS

P.S. you can use meatballs with that one too - I make my own meatballs from lamb, and season with pepper, salt and dried oregano. I make them small e.g. an inch. Lovely with any of the carbohydrates I suggested - pasta, aborio rice, polenta.
I have also made that recipe with the sausages - precooked and chopped (as suggested in the recipe)