View Full Version : What is the fatal dose of Ritalin

milkpeach2003
09-17-06, 07:53 AM
Dear All,

Do you know what is the fatal/ lethal dose for ritalin?

theta
09-17-06, 08:21 AM
Dear All,

Do you know what is the fatal/ lethal dose for ritalin?LD_50: 190 mg /kg oral mice

Hopefully your not going to hurt yourself or others.

Vickie
09-17-06, 01:38 PM
Milkpeach,
In case you did not know, LD 50 is the amount to kill 50% of the mice tested.

scuro
09-17-06, 01:41 PM
The fatal dose is the amount that kills you.

VisualImagery
09-17-06, 01:42 PM
I do not think this is an appropriate topic to discuss. I would not want to see anyone use the information to hurt their self or someone else. Please consider the consequences of posting such information!

Thanks, RADDmom

Crazy~Feet
09-17-06, 01:52 PM
Last I read up on medications, all I found was that an overdose would make you extremely uncomfortable, but likely not kill you. Unless you had a pre-existing condition, but that's all I remember. It was not an important issue to me, so I may not be remembering right....

scuro
09-17-06, 04:37 PM
There is a fatal dose for water. Drink enough and you die. Take too much of any substance and it will kill you.

There is no specific dose for ritalin that suits all. It would depend on your body mass and how your body reacts to Ritalin. To get the desired results, big people can take small doses and small people can take huge doses. It all depends.

Bugs-n-Bunnys
09-17-06, 04:50 PM
"I do not think this is an appropriate topic to discuss. I would not want to see anyone use the information to hurt their self or someone else. Please consider the consequences of posting such information!"

I think just the opposite. I think this is very important. This is information people need to know, in order to AVOID an overdose. What if it took much less to kill you? Just an example - Lets say your taking 40mg of something and it's not working so you experiment (which many people do) and you try 60mg, then 80mg. What if 80mg was the lethal dose for that drug and you never knew it, because someone censored it from the forums in the fear they might use the information for the wrong purpose?

Not everybody is out to hurt themselves or others. The majority of us are out to take care of ourselves. There is always be a few bad apples in every bushel.

Bugs-n-Bunnys
09-17-06, 04:51 PM
That did not come out right. My first paragraph I was quoting what RADDMOM said.

speedo
09-17-06, 05:02 PM
The lethal dose is so huge compared to the theraputic dose there is no possible way of accidentally overdosing with ritalin. It just won't happen.

For example: I weigh a bit over 200 lbs... call it 100 Kilograms.... now the 50% leathal dose for a mouse (we don't know about humans, but assume it is similar) is 190 mg per kilogram.

This means I have to take 190 X 100 = 19 grams of ritalin to reach the 50% lethal point.
Considering that the tablets are 20 mg typically, I'd need a bowfull of the stuff to kill myself (I typically have my breakfast cerial with milk and honey, please).

The bugger comes in when you realize that you will most likely be psychotic , hallucinating, and probably rather miserable (as in screaming , raging, crazy) long before you take enough to get anywhere near that point....a possibly long hospital stay, maybe some fried brain cells, and ending up psychotic are real consequences of taking an overdose of ritalin.

ME :D

milkpeach2003
09-18-06, 02:46 AM
190mg/ kg..for ritalin.....??? so high..?

But as far as I know, the fatal dose for cocaine and Amphetamines are just 630mg for a 60-kg-man.......

speedo
09-18-06, 02:50 AM
yah. Well, that was the number that was tossed up.

Welcome to the internet. All sources are equally valid or invalid. But theta is a pretty reliable source. Maybe he will have more info on it, or can clarify it a bit for us.

The number is huge.

theta
09-18-06, 04:15 AM
The Merck Index, 11th Edition (1989)
6025 Methylphenidate
LD50 orally in mice 190 mg /kg (Greenblatt, Osterberg)
I think they got the number from the hydrochloride salt and I think drugs
calculate from the freebase? Anyway freebase mw 233.30 , hydrochloride
salt mw 269.76 so that means 164 mg /kg for the freebase.

Yeah I was going with the book I have know idea. I was under the impression
that stimulants were rather safe unless you had cardiovascular problems.

---------
Benzedrine sulfate (I guess dl-amphetamine) LD50 in mice 24.2 mg /kg
in rats 55 mg/kg oral (Behrendt , Deininger)
----------------------------
cocaine freebase?(1 gram disolves in 600 ml h20) anyway
LD50 iv rats 17.5 mg/kg
------------------------

~boots~
09-18-06, 05:47 AM
The fatal dose is the amount that kills you.I must be in a silly mood, because that also made me giggle :o and I know it is wrong...

logical scuro :p

Crazy~Feet
09-18-06, 01:14 PM
yah. Well, that was the number that was tossed up.

Welcome to the internet. All sources are equally valid or invalid. But theta is a pretty reliable source. Maybe he will have more info on it, or can clarify it a bit for us.

The number is huge.

ME :DThat's pretty much what I meant in my shaky, unmedicated post. Thanks Speedo :) for clarifying that.

Its extremely difficult to die from Ritalin is the bottom-line point here.

FrazzleDazzle
09-18-06, 03:29 PM
Are you talking about ONE dose that would be fatal? A good friend of mine, her nephew was involved in Ritalin trials many years ago, and recently passed away from the neurological issues caused by the cumulative long-term use of high doses.

theta
09-18-06, 04:14 PM
Are you talking about ONE dose that would be fatal? A good friend of mine, her nephew was involved in Ritalin trials many years ago, and recently passed away from the neurological issues caused by the cumulative long-term use of high doses. Tells us more details about this.
Seems like this would be on CNN
or should be.

FrazzleDazzle
09-18-06, 09:47 PM
I thought this might be open for some derailed conversation, so out of respect for OP Milkpeach, I posted another thread with further details regarding my friend's nephew here........

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=337505#post337505

speedo
09-18-06, 11:39 PM
164 mg/kg is still huge. It think itwould be pretty hard to take a fatal dose.
I'm now wondering what does would be required for amphetamine psycosis ?
(discounting the very few who are going to have psycosis with any amount)

The Merck Index, 11th Edition (1989)
6025 Methylphenidate
LD50 orally in mice 190 mg /kg (Greenblatt, Osterberg)
I think they got the number from the hydrochloride salt and I think drugs
calculate from the freebase? Anyway freebase mw 233.30 , hydrochloride
salt mw 269.76 so that means 164 mg /kg for the freebase.

Yeah I was going with the book I have know idea. I was under the impression
that stimulants were rather safe unless you had cardiovascular problems.

---------
Benzedrine sulfate (I guess dl-amphetamine) LD50 in mice 24.2 mg /kg
in rats 55 mg/kg oral (Behrendt , Deininger)
----------------------------
cocaine freebase?(1 gram disolves in 600 ml h20) anyway
LD50 iv rats 17.5 mg/kg
------------------------

milkpeach2003
09-19-06, 12:22 PM
How about the fatal dose for xanan and zopiclone?

Crazy~Feet
09-19-06, 01:03 PM
How about the fatal dose for xanan and zopiclone?Not until you explain why you want to know these things, please?

I doubt anyone here wants to help someone commit suicide, Peach. I encourage all members to stop providing information that could be fatal unless the OP gives good cause.

theta
09-19-06, 01:08 PM
Not until you explain why you want to know these things, please?

I doubt anyone here wants to help someone commit suicide, Peach. I encourage all members to stop providing information that could be fatal unless the OP gives good cause.
Yeah if you read her other post she
has said suicidial things.

ADHD != Depression

If your prozac is not treating your
depression why not try another
anti-depressant?

milkpeach2003
09-19-06, 02:08 PM
Just want to get a better picture of the drug I am taking....so I can avoid overdoses or taking a dose which is fatal or too high

FrazzleDazzle
09-19-06, 02:18 PM
Are you OK sweetie? I read some of your other posts. You will avoid overmedicating if you take your meds just as prescribed. They are not prescribed anywhere NEAR a fatal dose. Keep in good touch with your physicians too, dear, if you need them adjusted or changed. Getting the right dose, med, and/or combination can take some time of trial and error. Keep on keeping on. Please know you are in my thoughts.
(((HUGS)))

Andrew
09-19-06, 04:27 PM
Discussions of medication levels (fatal or otherwise) should be directed to your prescribing physician or pharmacist. The discussion of inappropriate or off-label usage of medications is against forum guidelines (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25108).

If you think you've overdosed on your medication, please contact your local poison control center or dial your emergency services number immediately (i.e. 911). .

marcopolo8833
05-02-09, 05:16 PM
hey this is my first post as i am relatively new to stimulant meds. im on ritalin sr and like many of us, have "experiemented" (aka abused) my medication and after doing so, i would suggest you dont do this because it is simply a waste of your medication for a destructive cause and keeps you from using the meds constructively. i took 1800 mg in the span of about 55 hours and it was one of the stupidest things ive ever done. i didnt sleep three nights straight, ate 0 calories, but i did drink a ****oad of water. my tolerance kept going up and i had to take more and more. it wasnt even fun cause i wanted to stop but knew i wouldnt sleep so i just took more and more. i wanted to stop so badly i told my friend and he locked the rest in my safe for me and kept the key until i waited several weeks to make up for the meds i had wasted. i just hope that i act smart when i continue my meds because i dont know if i will convince myself to abuse them again, but i do know consequences of doing so that i will reluctantly encounter when my prescription bottle doesnt make any noise when i shake it

γ-quantum
05-03-09, 07:31 AM
as stated by other people, the dose really depends.

especially if you have a heart disease and you dont know about it, even a therapeutic dose of ritalin or any other stimulant can kill you.

as i've read about a certain degree of tolerance forming when taking ritalin for years, i also think that if you've taken it for a long time, the dose that would kill you would be higher than for somebody who has never taken a stimulant.

an LD50 has been stated already, but, as i said above, i dont think that can be applied to everybody.

just in case somebody is thinking of overdosing ritalin in an idea of suicide, let me state the horrible effects an overdose would have:

nauseusness, vomiting, agitation, muscle cramps, sweating, hot flush, dilated pupils, confusion, hallucination, euphoria (still, DONT DO IT), dangerous increase in body temperature, tachycardia, heart arrythmia, hypertension up to hypertensive crisis thus resulting in heart attack and stroke (and you're likely left disabled from that, NOT dead), delir, seizures and coma.

there's no antidote. diazepam is usually administered i.v. against convulsions and cramps, and if applied soon enough, flushing of the stomach and application of charcoal may help. otherwise, intensive care monitoring is required to counteract sudden, dangerous cardiovascular incidents.

so, it's a bad idea to overdose on it. for suicide, as well as for a 'rush'. you dont want to wake up from a party noticing you cannot talk and are half paralyzed, now would you?

kzaro
05-03-09, 02:02 PM
Yep, trying to overdose on a stimulant (even caffein!) is the worse idea ever!