View Full Version : Adderall XR...epilepsy

HawkeyeFun
09-17-06, 11:51 AM
Hi everyone! I have sort of a complicated story and was hoping for some input...so sorry if this is a little bit of a novel! :p

I'm 26, and was diagnosed with ADHD about 2 months ago. I started taking Adderall XR 30 mg about 3 weeks ago I am very happy with it. Although the initial side effects have subsided...I do feel that it is very powerful in my system as I am very in tune with my body and even without side effects I know it's there.

The problem is that I feel like it wears of in about 7 or 8 hours. At first I wasn't sure if maybe i was imagining it because i don't crash ... the come down is quite vague...I just find myself back to the old me...After I read some of the posts here however, I am convinced that that is what is going on. I have been forced to decide whether i want to be "on" in the morning or the evening and that is getting old quickly.

So, I was thinking of asking my doctor (she is a GP) for a second dose. And this is where my question starts.

I had epilepsy as a child...but no meds since 1998 and no seizures for about 15 years now. I know at this point it is probably a long shot because so much time has passed, but i am concerned about the meds lowering my seizure threshold. I've told all of the doctors i've seen but none seemed to even bat an eye about it. I've searched online and found lots of info on the two being possibly linked but I was wondering if anyone here has any info/experience about this. I can ask my doctor, of course, but i'm sure she would just reassure me and I would like more solid facts. I am already at 30 mg XR so adding more seems like it would be quite a big dose. I know none of you are doctors! :p Just hoping for some input so I can come to my own ... more educated decision.

I think I am going to make an appointment with the Pyschologist that gave me my "official" diagnosis as he has more experience with adult ADHD and also because my medical history and my family history complicates things ... me epilepsy...my mom was just diagnosed as bipolar (yes at age 60!)...heart disease also runs in the family. But, i expect at least a 30 day wait and would like to add a second dose before that...but only if i feel it is safe...I am having trouble finding info on this. So if anyone can help out I would appreciate it!

Oh, I am seeing a therapist (she is the one who originally recognized my ADHD) but she is a trained sociologist and although she has been amazing in helping me work through the stressors in my life, she cannot prescribe and does not have a background in medical treatments at all.

Thanks everyone!

P.S.

Yay!! :D:p:)Finally, I know what's "wrong" with me..I love all of the positive sides of the ADHD personality and am super excited to be able to break out of my haze and start relearning life. :D My mom said she cried when i first told her, but the more I learn about it, the more I am believing that it is a gift. The co-occurence of intelligence, creativity and out-of-the-box thinking makes for an amazing combo and kinda of reminds me of a musical savant who is blind, deaf and mentally disabled but who has instead been given the gift of music that is so stunning it is almost impossible to believe. We may not be able to keep our houses perfectly organized, remember where we put our keys, or pay our bills on time (horray online bill pay!!) but we have the inate ability to learn and accomplish on a level that is beyond what most people dream of. So, I am celebrating my ADHD!! :D

speedo
09-17-06, 04:50 PM
It works like this...

Stimulants lower your seizure threshold. If you have epilepsy you obviously have a lower than normal seizure threshold to begin with, and stimulants may be a bad idea for you.

If you have a past history of epilepsy it may be that you have a lower than normal seizure threshold... the fact that you once had seizures suggests the real possibility.

If you have been seizure free for a long time, it might be that you are safe to take stimulants.

I had juvenile epilepsy and had one grand mal seizure that was triggered during testing for epilepsy. That was over 40 years ago. At present, my doctor and I are not totally sure that I am seizure free, so we are not taking any chances. My present suite of meds are considered to be fairly "safe" for epilepsy.... now , here in the near future my doctors will be taking a closer look at epilepsy and we will hopefully come to a definitive answer. For now, we are playing it safe.

ME :D