View Full Version : coaching potential coaches..

Ian
12-02-03, 01:16 PM
Hi all.
Before this morning I never really realised that being an adhd coach is a booming business. The attributes and methodology of the modern coach for an adult with adhd seems to be reserved for the ivory tower crew.

Would you all please help me compile a list of responsibilities of the adult coach? Granted this whole area is quite new and no doubt still under developement. I have two folks that I think would be excellent coaches for me but I don't know anything of what to tell them regarding what will be required of them . (Is that kind of sentence structure a curse or what! <g>)

My list might begin with some of the following tasks. Please help me add <g> to this list.

- Take some notes to retain information on my stated goals and progress.

- Informal discussion regarding concerns and possible approaches to making some head way on those concerns.

- General positive encouragement for the tasks at hand.

- Willingness to read some of the details of living with adhd.

Please challenge me on any of this. I have no clue what I'm doing. I just know that when I was seeing someone and talking about strategies for helping me cope more effectively my outlook and usefulness to my friends and family were dramatically better than they are without that contact.

Choosing a coach is doubtless, a very personal thing. I think however that I know exactly what types of people would be good coaches for me after my previous two years experience. I have not met a man to fit this bill but hopefully in the future or maybe through the peer coaching on this forum I can begin to learn from my own genders experiences in this regard.

The long and the short of it is that I need to "pitch" this coaching idea to a minister working on her doctorate. I want to make a clear presentation of the rationale and what's expected of her. I am so bad at doing just those things.. Need more RAM! heheh

If anyone can offer any help here by adding to my list, I would appreciate a hand. I talked to "Leslie" today and she's at least willing to have me send her some information. I was surprised to find almost nothing in the way of information about the resources a coach might use. But I guess it's become a big business and a valuable one no doubt!

Are there other forums that might be appropriate for this discussion? I have been scouring the search engines for other resources but you folks seem pretty well tapped into the edges of the envelope so I have not found anything more useful than you people.. <vbg>

Cheers! Ian

May we trust the inexpressible benevolence of the creative impulse.

Tara
12-02-03, 02:35 PM
I know this isn't the info you are looking for but it might still help...

There are not any actual education requirements to become an ADD coach. There really aren't any requirements for coaching at all. Basically anybody can become a coach. It's not regulated like nursing, teaching, etc.

There are some ADD coach training programs.
http://www.addca.com
http://www.addcoach.com
http://www.americoach.org

The cost of the programs range from $495 to $3700

I have not gone through any of them but I have heard great things about all of them.

Sue Sussmann from http://www.americoach.org is one of the co-founders of ADD Coaching.

Nancy Ratey http://www.nancyratey.com is the other co-founder of ADD Coaching.

http://www.audiotapes.com has several tapes about Coaching. http://www.add.org also has some great tapes of coaching presentation from the May 2003 Conference

Tara
12-02-03, 02:42 PM
ADDA has also puplished AD/HD Coaching Guidlines http://www.add.org/content/coach/coachingguidlines2.htm

Ian
12-02-03, 03:11 PM
Thanks Tara but you are right in thinking this isn't what I was after. I don't have access to those resources where I live and have to make do with what I have. I think I'll do all right if I can get some perspective on what others see as useful in the coaching experience they have had. I have read all the threads here on coaching.

Would you care to try and add your two cents worth to my list?

I'm broke as I nearly collapsed my business this summer and fall due to lack of coaching mostly.. I came to rely pretty heavily on the structured way.. ;^) so... I don't have money for the tapes. I'm sure the tapes are what I am after or would hope they would be thorough enough to pose more answers than I have questions... <g>

Would you care to paraphrase some key elements of the tapes that you might think relevant to my questions?

Any time or energy you could toss at this would be very much appreciated. I'm not looking for anything other than your experienced opinion and I won't hold any of it against you.. promise! <g>

I have been to many of the sites you listed but they tend to not show their cards very well.. if you know what I mean.

I am desperate to avoid a wholescale breakdown here and it seems to be important to get the coach that is right for ones needs. I have found that person but can't tell her much about her role. My approach would be just to "wing" it like I did with the first one, but it seems hard for an untrained coach to grasp how effective the contact can be and has been for me.

Am I treading on some unspoken sacred ground here? I find it surprising that it seems to be so tough to find a forum to share this information about coaching.

I have had similar experience with medical questions. Generally physicians don't seem to want to share openly about the parameters of the problems I might be having. However it's now my experience that a good physician is secure in the knowledge that no matter the depth of questions I might have, they are under no threat to their integrity or skill set by answering me honestly.

<professional coach dripping with integrity adds extended comments here> ;^)

Given the new nature of adult adhd treatment and coaching in particular I'm anxious to learn what some of the key factors are that are working for others, so I can at least consider them and then put the attractive ones into practise.

What are your coaches providing you with?

I'm not interested in reinventing the wheel here... I just want to begin to compile a list of bases to cover when trying to have someone act as a coach for the likes of a guy like me.

Again.. I don't have access to the big city life and all it's wondrous offerings in the way of networking.. but I do have you folks.. and a couple of talented caring friends whom I know can act as effective coaches for my needs..

Please help me make this need for a coach and the coaches role clear to this woman. I need her help. Please add to my list the things that you all have found to be good and useful actions of a coach.

Cheers! Ian.

Ian
12-02-03, 03:54 PM
Tara.. I missed that one.. thank-you. That looks as if it will get the job done nicely.

Has anyone got any comments as to their experience in relation to the guidlines..? I sure hope so.. I won't bite.. slap... or in any way be anything but humbly grateful for your contributions. <g>

Cheers! Ian.

Tara
12-20-03, 07:33 PM
Have you had any luck?

healthwiz
12-20-03, 08:21 PM
Ian

Remember, peer coaching is free. I personally think another ADDer will have more insight into your needs and be a more effective peer coach, than would a person who is a stranger to ADD. Its a lot of knowledge to gain. Being ADD is first hand knowledge.

Not only is it free, but it may make you feel better to contribute to your peer coach's success too.

It is simple, just document 3 goals a day to each other. Anything else you do is peripheral. You can have conversations with each other about anything, but just make sure you document 3 goals daily. Its harder than it sounds, but ultimately it raises goal awareness and increases goal orientation, which raises goal achievement.

If you begin acheiving more goals, you will be able to afford to pay a real coach in addition.

My peer-coaching buddy has his conversation with me every morning M-F and he also has 2x/wk phone calls with his paid coach. I have my morning conversation with him, and my 3 hour a week psychodrama group for support, and I have PRN private therapy sessions as needed.

Get started with a peer coach for free - its affordable, and go from there. Training a coach is a big project. My opinion, "and everyone has one" --- you could be making cash or trade money with all the energy you could spend on trying to train a coach to train you.

Does it make sense, really, for you to teach a coach how to teach you? Personally, I think that path is barking up the wrong tree.

On the other hand, you might prove me very wrong, and cheers to you if you do!!

Jonathan

Ian
12-20-03, 08:33 PM
Tara.
Yes and no. Thanks for asking. I met with the woman I was seeing previously and she can see me once a month which seems woefully short of the mark just now. One of my good local prospects has had to bow out for a number of reasons all of which leave me feeling a little desperate.

I have made contact with a few people here that I think will make good phone contacts on various levels. I am looking forward to the new year when the holidays are over and life settles down in to the routine again.

I find the holiday season difficult at the best of times but this isn't one of them.

I have come to believe that lots more contact is a good thing. There are many here who seem to understand this better than I do, or maybe they just have more experience with the benefits.

At any rate, my formal coach is right into doing what we can with the time we have available and the folks here have been offering up many new ideas to help grease the skids on that front. I think some phone contact with other add types will go a long way to filling in the blanks between meetings with coach.

I have certainly had no luck attracting other members input for what they find essential in a coach. I'm dumbfounded as to why this is so.

Bleak but standing. Ian.

Ian
12-21-03, 02:23 AM
I hear you Jon.
I think this idea of goal setting in the morning is a great one. It scared the swish out of me when I tried it because it became obvious really quickly that things were going to change by doing that. Structure.. it's always structure! Peer coaching is definitely growing on me. I'm currently working on this..

I don't think that there is much to change about the coach setup. We stumbled across a routine that was very effective over the long term. I'm not anxious to "touch the dials" much at all. I would like to understand what we have done well so I can repeat it, that's for certain. I will also add elements as we go if they seem to make sense to what I need. I do understand your point.

Cheers! Ian

Originally posted by healthwiz
Ian

Remember, peer coaching is free. I personally think another ADDer will have more insight into your needs and be a more effective peer coach, than would a person who is a stranger to ADD. Its a lot of knowledge to gain. Being ADD is first hand knowledge.

Not only is it free, but it may make you feel better to contribute to your peer coach's success too.

It is simple, just document 3 goals a day to each other. Anything else you do is peripheral. You can have conversations with each other about anything, but just make sure you document 3 goals daily. Its harder than it sounds, but ultimately it raises goal awareness and increases goal orientation, which raises goal achievement.

If you begin acheiving more goals, you will be able to afford to pay a real coach in addition.

My peer-coaching buddy has his conversation with me every morning M-F and he also has 2x/wk phone calls with his paid coach. I have my morning conversation with him, and my 3 hour a week psychodrama group for support, and I have PRN private therapy sessions as needed.

Get started with a peer coach for free - its affordable, and go from there. Training a coach is a big project. My opinion, "and everyone has one" --- you could be making cash or trade money with all the energy you could spend on trying to train a coach to train you.

Does it make sense, really, for you to teach a coach how to teach you? Personally, I think that path is barking up the wrong tree.

On the other hand, you might prove me very wrong, and cheers to you if you do!!

Jonathan :D