View Full Version : Well ADHD wasn't enough!

justhope
09-21-06, 03:26 PM
Today, I have my 6 month f/u with my doc.
I told him about some of the interesting symptoms I had been having over the last 6 months.
(for a brief histry, I have been dx since age 24, now 36 with ADD/mild clinical depression) and was on and off meds for years.
Now recently back on as of last year....
I have am on Adderall XR 40mg and that has helped with the ADD, but nothing has seemed to help with the depression/anger/anxiety.
They either shut me down, ie Zoloft, or not worked at all? ....
I have stayed with my Omega mix, and noticed a drop off in the longer depression episodes, but a pick up in the manic one's...
so after an hour....in which he had to pull teeth to get me to admit the craziness...he said well it sounds like BPD II to me but he is really leaning towards Cyclothymia? Which in reading...yep sounds just like me...

So we start on ...Lamictal...slowly and Risperdal..at night...yipee...
So I'm official! Oh Boy....

Scattered
09-21-06, 04:33 PM
Oh wow -- some people just have to have it all!;)

Seriously, I expect that was a bit of a jolt. I hope the new diagnosis and medication gives you better results. I believe you're the one that told me about PMDD -- well, John Ratey said in Shadow Syndromes that there is some thought that PMDD (premenstral dysmorphic disorder) and SAD (seasonal affective disorder) are on the mild end of the bipolar spectrum. I have both of the above, so I'm pretty aware of my vulnerability in that area too. Let us know how it goes. Wishing you the best!

Hugs,
Scattered

~boots~
09-21-06, 04:38 PM
hugs Hope..
xxx
hopefully the new meds will kick in soon and help..

*~ žEEK ~*
09-21-06, 05:03 PM
I'm starting to wonder why all my friends are turning up Bipolar!! LOL :D

~boots~
09-21-06, 05:06 PM
I'm starting to wonder why all my friends are turning up Bipolar!! LOL :Djust lucky I guess :D

PS seek..do you like my new picture?:p

*~ žEEK ~*
09-21-06, 05:25 PM
Do you like my new picture?:p Not as much as your childhood picture! :) Nothing can beat that picture! You were cuter than a button when you were little! :)

But, it's still a funny pic! What in the world is that picture from? :D Are you trying to tell us that you have a big head? :D

~boots~
09-21-06, 05:33 PM
Not as much as your childhood picture! :) Nothing can beat that picture! You were cuter than a button when you were little! :)

But, it's still a funny pic! What in the world is that picture from? :D Are you trying to tell us that you have a big head? :Dit's the girl from the opening of the new animated movie "Monster House" :D see my new sig

hehe..I was pretty cute :p

*~ žEEK ~*
09-21-06, 05:36 PM
hehe..I was pretty cute :p You most definitely were! I love that pic! :)

justhope
09-21-06, 05:43 PM
Hey are you 2 going OT on my thread...lol ADD'er's thanks for all the support. I was a jolt, but a long expected one...I had some idea all along...just in denial...

SEEK ...is someone trying to tell you something ...lol...

and yes I am looking frwd? to the new meds?

Heck at this point I am willing to try anything, well almost...just wanna swing the pendulum into the middled somewhere you know...

Nova
09-21-06, 06:04 PM
Hey Hope...

Just take it one day at a time.

And remember...

You're not alone. (0;

The diagnosis was the 'hard' part.

Want me to send you some of the flyers I had printed about Bipo ? (0:
To keep in your purse...and hand 'em out, when you get tired of 'splainin'...Lucy ?

Just kidding, sweetie...

About sending 'em to you...

Ok..I'll stop now....really... (0;

justhope
09-21-06, 06:21 PM
thanks Nova....

Crazy~Feet
09-21-06, 08:15 PM
Hey are you 2 going OT on my thread...lol ADD'er's thanks for all the support. I was a jolt, but a long expected one...I had some idea all along...just in denial...

SEEK ...is someone trying to tell you something ...lol...

and yes I am looking frwd? to the new meds?

Heck at this point I am willing to try anything, well almost...just wanna swing the pendulum into the middled somewhere you know...Sorry Sis, but I am not sorry? I knew something was going on :( and I am glad you are getting treatment.

As soon as we can talk on the phone again, let's make an appt. ok?

{{{HOPE}}}

Love, M:L:S

justhope
09-21-06, 08:36 PM
Sorry Sis, but I am not sorry? I knew something was going on :( and I am glad you are getting treatment.

As soon as we can talk on the phone again, let's make an appt. ok?

{{{HOPE}}}

Love, M:L:S

You were right moogie...just cause you cheated and had it first!!! lol...
Maybe ...this weekend? I only work...8-12pm on Sat..and BDH works the weekend so I can get away with talking to someone besides him...without hearing about it.....I was trying to catch up to Tam's too she is off too!
So thanks for your empathic powers...you did push me to really bring it up along with dear old moms!
So we'll see.....

justhope
10-04-06, 09:40 AM
Well week 2 of new meds..(Lamictal) is done tomorrow. And no rash? No side effects...I do kind of feel ...a little more setttled? Still a little on the hypomania side wiht the sleeping thing but not as bad...so we will see...starting dosage increase from 25mg to 50mg ....so we will see.....

Crazy~Feet
10-04-06, 09:51 AM
That's great news Sis! :D

justhope
10-16-06, 09:26 AM
Week 4 beginging. ......on Lamictal....no side effects? No rash...the only thing I notices is I feel a little more sleepy or groggy in the mornings? I think someone had mentioned that before in ref to the Lamictal? I am going to try to test the theory....because I have a tendency to not get enough sleep (hypomania, and addiction to "puter" , and I also take Risperdal for sleep?

So I am going to actually going to pick 2 days in a row, to go to bed at a decent hour, and not take the Risperdal and see.

Other than that...I do feel a little more balanced? I don't seem to feel as tossed violantly between one extreme to another? I shold know if it's really going to help within the next 2 weeks when I start the full doses of 100 mg and have been on long enough to have a good blood level!

Updates as they come .....as Hope's journey for "normal" behavior or "Hey one mood for a day" continues!

justhope
10-24-06, 12:28 PM
Week 4 and we have now started the 1 week of 75mg. Then I go to the final 100 mg.

No side effects as of yet, well not one I can't live with. The only thing I noticed, and I think someone here brought it up, is I am really really tired....in the morning....I have had to cut back on my Risperdal everynight...which was for sleep...ummm cause I don't wanna get up at alll if I take both.

So I can live with it.....and just hit the bathroom asap in the morning to shock myself into wake up! Cold water does it everytime.

I have had no skin issues...no nausea, no dizziness...nothing.

And I do feel a little more balanced. I am testing the theory I might be able to go off the Adderall this week. Um I am thinking not....I feel better, but I don't want to focus on stuff very long! LOL...so I don't think the ADD was a misdianoses....I believe I truly have both....Oh well....at least the meds are working now...

I will try to remember to update at the end of my 6th week. This will be full doses...and in my system.
I have doc's f/u appt this week......

justhope
11-07-06, 10:23 PM
Week? whatever? I am up to my docs full recommended dosage for me.

100mg. This is the second week. It appears to be working. I am not having the extreme moods swings. I have had only one side effect. Extreme sleepiness in the mornings.
Odd because when I first take the meds about 8pm in the evening, they don't make me tired? But when I wake up..man oh man...don't want to do it.

My doctor didn't appear to have much of an idea why this was happening? Said it wasn't a chief complaint among patients? So I decided to switch things up and take the meds in the morning and see what happened. Well that was 3 days ago, and the excessive dragging has appeared to disappate. This was a side effect I was willing to live with, considering the other extremes, were not an option.

My mother, who is a R.N. said it might be , because taking it at night, when the metabolism is a it's slowest could increase the sleepiness. And when taken while I am up and moving (along with the Adderall) helps keep it at bay.

I am also testing a theory. I seem to need my Adderall less now that I am on the Lamictal. I have dropped my dosage from 40mg to 20mg, and am only taking it when I have tasks that require my full and 'non" dristracted attention. My doc and I are testing it, over the next 2 months before I see him again. I am on a week or so, then off again to see how I function.
It appears the ADD could have been a misdiagnoses, I really think I have it, it's just not as severe as we once thought. So perhaps the Adderall can be more of an as needed thing.

Well just wanted to update everyone. Take care! Hope

Grade A
11-07-06, 10:55 PM
Nice to hear how you are doing hope...keep us posted and good luck in everything you do.

Jesse 7.0
11-09-06, 05:04 PM
I here ya...

I was diagnosed with ADD in 94. I was then dioagnosed with schizo-effective disorder in 2000. In 2004, they said,"Oh sorry, we were wrong it's Bi-polar type 1."
I'd be happy to be just one thing for a day.:rolleyes:

dormammau2008
11-10-06, 10:00 PM
alot theses things have a panter somewere....a link so to speak some have more it seems but each day you go there you make a new path for yourself dorm

justhope
11-20-06, 10:37 AM
Thanks Dormie! Nice to hear from you! Been a long time! I hope you are doing well.

I am still here and doing quite well now...seem to be leveled out on the 100's. And um I need the Adderall so far....just not as often !

Crazy~Feet
11-24-06, 09:32 AM
Hey sis! I am up to 100 now myself :) and no rashes ::happy dance:: :cool:

justhope
11-24-06, 05:17 PM
Congrats sista dear...ah the world of normal? living.....

Week ...oh 7 or so? Still doing good.

justhope
12-07-06, 11:40 PM
I just wanted to add something to this...besides I am still doing very well.

I have discovered, I still have ADD...but am positive it's not as serious as we first thought. So the meds are lowered to 20mgs, when needed.

I remember alot of us talking on here about these stims being addictive, and we laugh because if they were so addictive for us that "need" them, why do we forget to take them? And when we do forget if we took them take more, and regret it really quickly? Yeah big druggies...
anyway
this brings me to another point. THis is one of the problems I now face with my Lamictal.
When I first got dx and started taking them, I NEVER NEVER missed one.
When I felt the first "good" effects from taking them I never never missed one.
Now that I have a good blood level...and am in the more 'normal" world of the living...I FREAKING FORGET TO TAKE THEM....

Why, because I feel better , and forget..because I am not misarable anymore...and neither is my family, employees, or boss!
But then I am mad at myself...and scared...because I never never ever want to go to the "darkside" again!

Thought I would give you a little tidbit....