View Full Version : Fibro pain relief-what works?

VisualImagery
09-21-06, 08:19 PM
When the pain of my fibro flares, I can barely function-I can either work and collapse at home of stay home and pace myself all day-but I hurt so badly by 5pm, I can do almost nothing. Working makes it so much worse. It is strange, because the ADD meds usually help and I don't have such sever pain.

I take 1300mg naproxen a day in two doses- doesn't do much, but helps enough so I am able to work. I am a jelly fish after school. even typing this is hurting my arms. I need to call my doc, but does anyone know anything legal that can give me some relief from this pain? I started exercising and stretching-things are getting worse-I am not overdoing it-underdoing it is more like it and that makes it hurt more.

If it weren't for the pain, I would be fine! and totally functional. Help please-Thanks so much!

RADD

jamf
09-25-06, 04:39 PM
Any opiate will help. I would stay away from aleve. They are toxic to the kidneys. A low dose taken infrequently would probably be safe.

In my case they do next to nothing for the pain so I dont take them.

VisualImagery
09-25-06, 04:41 PM
I find the Aleve works-probably on my degenerative spinal arthritis, I would like to try an opiate-or other pain killer prn only but really hate adding more drugs. I think the later afternoon dosing may make a big difference.

Thanks for the input-I just had my bloodwork done and no problems showed up!

RADD

aball62
10-09-06, 09:19 AM
Hi:

I recently started on Strattera and it has made a huge difference in my pain level- it's almost completely gone most days (unless i overdo it). I am also on Adderall XR 10mg and Lexapro 5mg.

I tried wellbutrin for a couple of months but it actually made my pain much much worse.

Hope this helps. Living with pain is very fatiguing and frustrating.

A

VisualImagery
10-16-06, 05:26 PM
I discoved something that helps me-very easy and inexpensive. Sportscreme-the pain relief cream that has salicylate in it. I rub it over the trigger spots and anywhere else I am noticing pain or achiness. My hands hurt a lot and I just use a little like lotion. It does make a difference in my pain-I was very surprised.

Staying on my meds and not forgetting doses helps quite a bit too. That is one big reason I take no drug holidays on purpose!

I have not tried other pain creams-I wanted something odorless! Ben Gay and the like stink-and I do not want to go out in public smelling like that.

RADD

Chastain
10-16-06, 06:22 PM
I have Chronic Fatigue (and have for over ten years now) and have also noticed that the Adderall helps alleviate some of not only the fatigue, but pain also.

How long have you been struggling with this? If it makes you feel any better, I can tell you that I have come a far way since I was first diagnosed in high school. So don't give up, honey......you're not going to feel this awful forever!

I know you don't want to take more drugs, but you may want to talk to your doctor about muscle relaxers to take when the pain/muscle aches get too intense. Also, Provigil is now being given to people with CFIDS and Fibromyalgia.

Light yoga and Jin Shin Jyutsu can be very helpful, but I know that it can be hard to put effort into these things when you are so drained/in pain. If you are interested in seeking further treatment than what the average doctor is willing to give, or even knows about, check out this site:fibroandfatigue

Good luck and feel free to ask me any questions!!!

janet1969
11-16-06, 03:57 PM
I have fibromyalgia myself, and I know what it is like all too well. It's been over 13 years now for me, and I haven't found anything that works without costing me more than I can afford, or it being the "only" thing I can afford. I have a family to take care too, so it's not always so easy as others may think.

Here is a website you and others may be interested in checking out. I am serisouly considering what the doctor on the site recommends. There is a lot of helpful info about fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, as well as other conditions: DrRodger.com

I hope this helps!
Janet

When the pain of my fibro flares, I can barely function-I can either work and collapse at home of stay home and pace myself all day-but I hurt so badly by 5pm, I can do almost nothing. Working makes it so much worse. It is strange, because the ADD meds usually help and I don't have such sever pain.

I take 1300mg naproxen a day in two doses- doesn't do much, but helps enough so I am able to work. I am a jelly fish after school. even typing this is hurting my arms. I need to call my doc, but does anyone know anything legal that can give me some relief from this pain? I started exercising and stretching-things are getting worse-I am not overdoing it-underdoing it is more like it and that makes it hurt more.

If it weren't for the pain, I would be fine! and totally functional. Help please-Thanks so much!

RADD

VisualImagery
11-18-06, 12:31 AM
Thanks Janet,

Good timing. This time of year causes a lot of flares for me. I had to call in sick for a subbing job. I need to start my therapeutic massages again. That is the only thing that really gives me any long lasting pain relief. I am going to try it every 3 weeks. I would love to go every week, but the cost is too much when I am not working. Once I am employed again, I will go once a week and hire once a month household help-heavy cleaning. It will be worth the cost-I can use the time to do something productive. And with the massages, I will lose less time to pain.

Pain sucks, big time. RADD

janet1969
11-18-06, 11:34 AM
Hi RADD!
You are so welcome;):)! I relate to having to call in sick from work, even a temp job or any job for that matter. I hope the website www.DrRodger.com (http://www.DrRodger.com) may be of help for you. Have a great weekend sweety!! I am going to send you something else I found on our fibromyalgia as well. I really liked the information it provided, and you may too. I am already familiar with more than most of the info on fibro/cfs, but, I learned a couple of new info from this.

I will get it sent to you this morning yet! I just got another light go off in my head!! (oh no!....hehehe) I am going to post this information on this forum, and will let you know when I do this morning and what the subject line is too (along w/sending it to you separately).

Take care!
Janet

Thanks Janet,

Good timing. This time of year causes a lot of flares for me. I had to call in sick for a subbing job. I need to start my therapeutic massages again. That is the only thing that really gives me any long lasting pain relief. I am going to try it every 3 weeks. I would love to go every week, but the cost is too much when I am not working. Once I am employed again, I will go once a week and hire once a month household help-heavy cleaning. It will be worth the cost-I can use the time to do something productive. And with the massages, I will lose less time to pain.

Pain sucks, big time. RADD

QueensU_girl
11-18-06, 03:12 PM
You have to treat the painful trigger points. (Not the same as Tender Points of diagnosing FMS.)

Most people with FMS also have myofascial pain... which is caused/maintained by trigger points.

QueensU_girl
11-18-06, 03:18 PM
You have to treat the painful Trigger Points, a.k.a. TrPs. (Not to be confused with the Tender Points used in diagnosing FMS.)

Most people with FMS also have myofascial pain... which is caused/maintained by trigger points.

Painkillers do not get rid of Trigger Points.

One of my own best tools, from my Physiotherapist, is the TENNIS BALL, used on Trigger Points.

When you have a TrP, there is a knot that acts like an area of hyper-irritability, shortening the muscle. (When we have pain, we do muscle 'guarding', which holds a muscle tighter and shorter, which protects it from moving/injury, but increases our pain.)

re: typing pain. I'd be interested in seeing your office setup.

Also, stimulants can make typing pain worse, as they tighten muscles/fascia (muscle covering).

janet1969
11-19-06, 04:54 PM
The info I was referring to as stated below is at the following website:

http://www.heartspring.net/fibromyalgia_symptoms.html

Janet

Hi RADD!
You are so welcome;):)! I relate to having to call in sick from work, even a temp job or any job for that matter. I hope the website www.DrRodger.com (http://www.drrodger.com/) may be of help for you. Have a great weekend sweety!! I am going to send you something else I found on our fibromyalgia as well. I really liked the information it provided, and you may too. I am already familiar with more than most of the info on fibro/cfs, but, I learned a couple of new info from this.

I will get it sent to you this morning yet! I just got another light go off in my head!! (oh no!....hehehe) I am going to post this information on this forum, and will let you know when I do this morning and what the subject line is too (along w/sending it to you separately).

Take care!
Janet

TwistedTerri
01-14-07, 12:54 PM
Hey, Peeps! I have not found a cure for the pain, but I take a variety of meds and the combo helps a whole lot. It's sleeting outside and before this combo, that would have meant confinement to bed. And just from my personal experience as well as my best friend's, the better you treat the add/adhd, the less fibro pain. For me, adderall. For her, it's ritalin. Let's see. First I had to find the proper HRT, which for me meant an estrogen/testosterone combo. Estrogen alone did nothing for me. Then adderall and tylenol. I take generic arthritis tylenol (8 hour + higher strength). Also take 600mg Lyrica a day now as well as wimpy little muscle relaxers called chlorzoxozone (think i spelled it right). My doc makes fun of me because they're so weak she only prescribes them to me and no other patients, but they take the edge off without knocking me out or making me crazy (crazier). Take sleeping pill at night for sleep disorder and restless leg syndrome. Adderall cures restless legs during the day, but not at night. Need the extra med at night. Everyone is different. Just try things and see what works for you. My mom swears by active-on, but I rub it on and nothing. Also have to do mild Pilates stretches every other day or else! Also have to follow strict diet. Good luck, everyone!

William80
03-17-10, 01:33 AM
Sounds Interesting. But <style> <!-- BODY,DIV,TABLE,THEAD,TBODY,TFOOT,TR,TH,TD,P { font-family:"Calibri"; font-size:x-small } &n</style>Pain relief with hypnosis has been shown to work by lowering the brain's response to pain signals, and it is possible to learn how to manage your own pain quickly. I suffered a lot during the treatment for my back pain. Finally I found Thoughts Become Reality (http://thoughtsbecomereality.co.uk) where they gave me a hypnotherapy treatment. Now I am completely relieved. Thanks to them.
<style> <!-- BODY,DIV,TABLE,THEAD,TBODY,TFOOT,TR,TH,TD,P { font-family:"Calibri"; font-size:x-small } --> </style> <table rules="NONE" cellspacing="0" cols="1" frame="VOID" border="0"> <colgroup><col width="177"></colgroup> <tbody> <tr> <td height="21" width="177" align="LEFT">
</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>

<table rules="NONE" cellspacing="0" cols="1" frame="VOID" border="0"> <colgroup><col width="170"></colgroup> <tbody> <tr> <td style="border: 1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);" height="21" width="170" align="LEFT">
</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>

forinstants
03-24-10, 10:03 AM
Savella! A miracle drug for me. Adult female, 42, 140lbs. I take 50mg at 6:30am, 50mg at 1:30pm.

Problem with Savella is that many folks cannot get through the side effects that last 2 weeks to 2 months. I read online to stick them out -- miracle ahead. And the advice was correct!

Savella changes the way we percieve pain and does not affect the actual pain level. So if you miss a dose, you'll realize it later when you feel the pain. So it's not a cure for Fibro, but it sure does work.

Now I'm on 10mg Strattera (5th week in, 10mg taken at 6:30am) for ADHD. I'm sleeping much better at night (more soundly when I do sleep that is; overall, the CFS has abated to the point where it isn't even much of a prolem anymore. In otherwords, I need less sleep, and when I do sleep, I sleep soundly. Unlike prior to Straterra, when I was up 3-5 times every night. And lying in bed awake for 15 minutes to 2 hours.)

I found an article at NIMH where they are looking into the ADHD>Fibro>CFS connection.

Also taking Tramadol 4x daily (2 50mg tabs late morning, 2 50mg tabs an hour before bed) to control my skin sensitivity (to touch and temperature) pain -- and it helps with RLS symptoms too (occasional problem). No other pain tab (hydrocodone or Savella) helps with the skin sensitivity.