View Full Version : Abilify (aripiprazole)

netsavy006
09-26-06, 08:54 AM
I'd like to read on this thread about personal stories relating to the drug abilify. I've looked on the website for abilify ( www.abilify.com (http://www.abilify.com) ) and I'm wanting now to see some personal insite on the drug. (manly dosage, side effects, other stuff to look out for, how to tell when the drug is working, etc...) Thanks for any assistance you can offer...

Andy...

Matt S.
09-26-06, 10:14 AM
I sarcastically called it "de-bilify" because 5 mg made me sleep for a week (only one dose) but I tend to stabilize with dexedrine (we're talking "bipolar spectrum" symptoms right???) there's an overlap and my hyperactivity is pretty extreme so, yeah it does create a "diagnostic dillemna" when your so hyper it makes manic people look bad but dex slows me down so it must be ADHD

netsavy006
09-27-06, 12:07 PM
I just want a med that will make me stable. I dare not even try lithium cuz of the toxicity issue. I know blood tests are done and I don't want to have to go for blood tests like that. I tried risperdal (risperidone) to no success...

LittleD1981
10-02-06, 09:55 PM
I currently take Abilify 20mg and have pretty much been on Abilify at various dosages since the med got approved several years ago. For me, it's a FANTASTIC med! I use it as both an anti-psychotic and a mood stabilizer. Within days, I knew it was working because my head felt CLEAR, like all the fog that had been sitting in it had just blown away, and I wasn't even aware I had fog in my brain! It makes my thinking seem "sharp and clear." I've been on Zyprexa and Risperdal in the past (and briefly some of the older anti-psychotics) and none of them had that effect. I'm actually surprised at the drowsiness mspen had, as drowsiness is not a common side effect of Abilify, nor is weight gain, both of which are fairly common in other anti-psychotics. Some people do, however, get cases of restlessness, which can accompany any anti-psychotic, but it's nothing that some Cogentin won't clear up. I see you're on a starting dose, 2 1/2 mg. I believe I started out on 5mg, quickly moving up to 10mg, then 15mg. For awhile I was on 30mg, then taken down to 15mg again, and recently moved back up to 20mg. BUT, everyone's body is different, so know that your experience will be unique to anyone else's. I hope it works for you. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.