View Full Version : Worried

Emeraude
09-26-06, 12:08 PM
My boyfriend and I have had an long distance relationship for 4 years now. We visit each other, and are sure we are going to be married. He knows I have ADD, which he does not have, and loves some of the things that come with having ADD. He loves me how I am and who I am. I am just worried when we get married and have children, how likely is it this will pass to my kids? My Dad has ADD, and I suppose I got it from him. Does this pass on strongly? I don't know if this is the wrong forum, but it is relationship-related.

Comments appreciated.

sconard82
09-27-06, 12:19 AM
When one parent has ADD, the odds of any given child having it are around 30%.

livinginchaos
09-27-06, 01:30 AM
welcome to ADDF, Emeraude!

I have no idea what the statistic is, but ADHD is definitely hereditary.

Courtney

Yeah
09-27-06, 02:43 AM
Actualy I am looking forward to that. All the people here know how it is as an ADDer, and I wonder how cool a person can become when it's ADD is handled better then what my parents did.

sconard82
09-27-06, 03:22 AM
ADD is believed to be around 70% genetic based on studies of identical twins, I think.

Missfit
09-28-06, 01:29 PM
ADD is believed to be around 70% genetic based on studies of identical twins, I think.
That's interesting - my identicla twin doesn't have ADHD. i do

Yeah
09-28-06, 01:36 PM
It's 92% in identical twins... At least from what barkley says:
http://www.schwablearning.org/pdfs/2200_7-barktran.pdf?date=4-12-05
Guess that's how family secrets come out :)
A look a like, maybe? ;) Anyhow, either believe in those 8% or have a long and disturbing conversation with your parents. (I would LOVE to hear that :))

Missfit
09-28-06, 01:57 PM
It's 92% in identical twins... At least from what barkley says:
http://www.schwablearning.org/pdfs/2200_7-barktran.pdf?date=4-12-05
Guess that's how family secrets come out :)
A look a like, maybe? ;) Anyhow, either believe in those 8% or have a long and disturbing conversation with your parents. (I would LOVE to hear that :))
we're identical.. so doubt that's possible:)