View Full Version : My son has ODD and ADHD I need HELP!!!!

Justmelex
09-26-06, 02:26 PM
I have a 9 year old son who is has ADHD along with ODD. I need to meet parents who are going through the same issues I am. I have been battling with the school system for over a year and he has had countless suspentions and I am no longer able to work. I am a single parent who would like feedback from other parents. Thank you and I hope I am on the right sight. I am new to this. If I am in the wrong place Please let me know.

Justmelex
10-05-06, 03:20 PM
I guess this is the wrong place to get help for children with problems. If anyone has web sites I can go to for information on ADHA and ODD please let me know.

*~ žEEK ~*
10-05-06, 08:42 PM
There are many parents here with CD and ODD children. I think they are probably missing your thread because of the title you have chosen. There are probably 1000's of threads here with something along the lines of "I am new to this" in the title in all sections of our forums.

Try changing the title of your post to something with ODD in it. Perhaps that will get their attention.

Or you might try and find a large thread about ODD and post your question in the thread that you find. That way it will come up on all the people's subscribed threads list who have posted in that particular thread when they log on to the forums. That may get your question noticed as well.

Unfortunately I have no children so I probably wouldn't be much help to you!

Best of luck! :)

Crazy~Feet
10-05-06, 08:50 PM
Welcome Lex :) please bear in mind that many of the adults here also have ADHD, along with other comorbids ;). You are definitely in the right place.

Check how many active members this place has sometime :eek: that many people have gotta be finding or doing something right!

Those of us with ADHD have problems with global questions like yours. We need to know what, specifically, is going on and what you would like feedback about.

Otherwise you will wind up with:

A--Enormous rambling posts because we want to answer every interrelated thing we can imagine, and that's a LOT of information.

OR

B--No replies at all, because we don't wanna make an embarrasingly long post.

OR

C--Short replies because somone wants to acknowledge you but does not know what the exact question is.

HTH! Hope you get helpful replies very soon. I'd babble on more but my kids do have comorbid ODD and I suspect that combination is they type you wish to hear from parents of.

Justmelex
10-09-06, 12:54 AM
I am a single mother of four children. My oldest son was diag. with ADHD when he was only 3 years old. I had difficulty with this last year in school with countless suspensions and trips to the doctor. In the end I lost my job and cant go find another untill he is under control. I have had him in counsuling for about 4 months and I see no real improvement in him. Has anyone been through this with their children? what works for you??? I appericate the comments I recieved and please keep them comming.

Vickie
10-13-06, 02:46 PM
Try to get an IEP or 504 with a behavior plan. Go to Wright's law for information on your rights and for more help:
http://www.wrightslaw.com/info/discipl.index.htm
Here is alot of info on behavior plans:
http://cecp.air.org/fba/problembehavior3/developing3.htm
This will take some time, so talk to the teacher about implementing some of the things suggested. Work on a couple behaviors to start. See if you can discuss this with the doctor and get him/her to recommend this to the school in writing along with the written diagnosis of ADHD and any other comorbidities.
Is your child on any meds?
I hope this gives you a start.

nerak
11-05-06, 10:13 PM
Hi Just...

There is a parents subforum here too - it's a good place to post questions, vent and get support. I have a son with ADHD & the "typical" behaviour problems, mixed in with learning disabilities. I wandered over to this subforum today because we had a very challenging day & was looking for anything new. You may find more info in the general parenting section.

Good luck.

Our son started in a new school this year to address his learning disabilities and his principal has a plaque in his office that says,

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, give up.

It's my new mantra.

MommaHen03
11-12-06, 10:14 PM
I understand your frustration so much I am too a single parent and can't hold down a job with all the doctors trips countless trips to the schoola nd not to mention the frustration of doing it all alone at home. It gets quite frustrating and dealing with the school is too. If you are having issues with the school call the Special Services at the Board of Education the one here was a great resource and very helpful she gave mne great national and local resources for help too.

Matt S.
11-28-06, 01:38 PM
School was an issue for me as a "wild child" nonetheless, I was done with everything too fast and the school system didn't seem to give me much trouble because I was a "ADHD kid" with straight A's so maybe they thought that Straight A's was enough. The concept of time management keeping self occupied or even focusing on anything remotely essential in life and the fact that I have never until recently looked at the "big picture" as far as having the only sense of impulse control being equivalent to a high dose of Ritalin or Dexedrine and I recently only realized these things