View Full Version : "FREE" Full Version of Microsoft Virtual PC 2004

*~ žEEK ~*
09-26-06, 09:08 PM
Microsoft is now offering the full version of their Virtual PC 2004 software for "Free"!

This is great software if you want to test out an OS or run multiple operating systems.

Download the full version of Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 SP1 - Here --> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=6D58729D-DFA8-40BF-AFAF-20BCB7F01CD1&displaylang=en

VisualImagery
10-01-06, 08:42 PM
Seek, it sounds cool, but will it crash? I just keep seeing the number 98 outside my window! ;) Do you know if or when they will charge for it? I love free stuff, but I am enough of a consumer ed teacher to wonder if this a hook, we will love it so much we will pay to keep it? Is is compatible with all my current software? I am just neeerrvvouuus.

RADD

*~ žEEK ~*
10-01-06, 09:41 PM
It is stable software compatible with all current operating systems. It will likely remain "Free" since their competitor offers a "Free" version of their software as well, which I'm sure is why Microsoft is offering this version of their software "Free" too.

So, why are these companies giving away these versions of their software "Free" of charge??

I can think of 3 likely reasons. 1) Microsoft is very close to finally releasing "Vista" (Their "New" 62 bit operating system) which will make this 32 bit software "old" technology. 2) The amount of users they can reach that are using Pre-Vista operating systems is very large. 3) Therefore they are probably hoping to get all the Pre-Vista users comfortable with using this version of their software so that when Vista comes out users will hopefully purchase the 62 bit versions of this software to run on their new 62 bit Vista computers.

BTW, The Microsoft Vista 62 bit operating system is suppose to be able to run "older" 32 bit software "Virtually" when it comes out. However, I suspect that running 32 bit "Virtual PC" software (Such as this software) "Virtually" on a 62 bit Vista computer system may present some problems and issues to overcome. It probably can be done, but it likely won't run as efficient, and one would likely suffer some sort of performance hit.

There are probably other reasons which I'm not aware of, but these are the reasons I believe they are offering this software "Free" of charge.

Lastly, I'm not aware of any limitations (or time restraints) applied to this version of the software they are offering free of charge at this time.

Hopefully this all made sense to you! :)

VisualImagery
10-01-06, 09:48 PM
Believe it or not, for once I was able to make perfect sense out of something the first time! Competition is good-for a while at least! :D Ah, it is conspiracy theory time......stock values at the tech companies are going down-Dell etc, they are losing money, give software away free, specially good stuff we really like .....then, make it even better, but, there is always a catch, you need a new computer to use the software, I see the Dow Jones celebrating! NYSE! HP, Dell, Sony, Toshiba and so on........ Or am I way off base. Anyway, I did have fun and will probably download the Virtual PC!

Thanks seek! Good info!

*~ žEEK ~*
10-01-06, 10:24 PM
Yes, a new operating system does wonders for the tech companies and the markets.

Especially a higher bit operating system such as the new Vista that's coming out.

*~ žEEK ~*
10-06-06, 05:26 AM
BTW, I just read that Microsoft's VPC 2004 software is not compatible with Windows XP Home Edition.

You will need - Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2, Windows 2000 Pro Service Pack 4, Windows Server 2003, or Standard Edition (32-bit x86), to run Microsoft's VPC 2004 software.

Also, early reports are that Vista RC1 runs Microsoft's Virtual PC 2004 just fine.

Lastly, I just read that Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007 is in the works; it will provide native Vista support, both as host and guest; and still will be free! Pretty Kewl eh? :)

WindowSecurity.com has a good step-by-step tutorial for installing and running VPC --> Here (http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Microsoft-Virtual-PC.html)

And A Good VPC Blog is available --> Here (http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/)

Peace! :)