View Full Version : How do you handle boring meetings at work???

Solarmass
09-27-06, 12:43 AM
I've been having some trouble handling the meetings that we have at my place of employment. I just can't seem to bring myself to participate, and when I do I usually say something that is completely out of place or doesn't make sense. I do make people laugh, but damn! I think it's really the sitting down that bothers me. Maybe it feels too formal or something. I also find myself wishing that I could just stand up and talk, but that's difficult to do when everyone else is sitting. They would think I'm some sort of quack. Anyone have any tips on handling boring meetings?

meadd823
09-27-06, 12:55 AM
I avoid them!

They have monthly nursing meetings at one job. I have two part time jobs I am sure to be scheduled at the second job during all meetings.

I don't usually get to miss them completely because they have the meetings on tape. We can go in and watch; I fast forward through the boring parts plus I get to wiggle.

Considered taking notes or doodling? Secondary sensory in put to stay focused by doing some thing secondary but not disruptive to others. I read about it in a book "Fidget to Focus" by Roland Rotz and Sarah Wright.

livinginchaos
09-27-06, 01:55 AM
I take notes during the meetings, even if it's stuff I already know.
I used to doodle or make "to do" lists, but then I got too wrapped up and didn't even halfway listen to the meeting. So now when I take notes it's always notes regarding the meeting.

Nova
09-27-06, 01:17 PM
They always hand out a 'syllabus' of the entire meeting, anways, at our regular monthly meetings, so it's redundant to take notes.

I always sit by the far back wall.

If they last more than an hour, I end up doodling, doing wordsearch puzzles (I've resized the ones I have, to be tiny versions) or playing a game on my mobile, under the table (always make sure your phone's set to 'silent' when you do this).

I have to do something...otherwise I'll end up being disruptive (face showing expressions of 'irritation', talking too much, pen tapping..etc.

We've only had one instance where we had a quiz, after the meeting, regarding the info presented....but we knew about that ahead of time.