View Full Version : Doesn't last as long as it should and so tired when stops working

graciemarc
09-28-06, 10:11 AM
I started taking immediate release MPH, this was a real eye opener. Changed my life. Went to the Psych told him it was great but only lasted about 2.5 hrs and I didn't like the up and down nature.

He swapped me over to the Equasym XL (metadate CD in the US). I thought this would be great but it just doesn't last as long as it says on the tin, For me its about 6hrs. If I take it when I get up then the effects have gone just after lunch and then I feel exhausted - this is really undesirable. I tried splitting the dose to 30 in the am and then 30 in the pm but didn't get any real effect then.

Is this the same for everyone? do you have to pick and choose the time of day to take it to cover the time you most need it and just deal with everything else?

Confused
Marc

larryboy023
12-22-06, 11:22 PM
I have been on Metadate CD for awhile now. It worked great,but the comedown was killer! My doc. gave me a script for 10mill. of Ritilin to be taken about 5 hrs after the morning dose of Metadate.I am now up to 30 mill.of Metadate in the morning,and 20 mill. of Ritilin in the afternoon.I originally tried straight Ritilin,but I became emotionally unstable(crying for no reason) after 2 days.This seems to work really well for me.I have the extreme of both hyperactive AND A.D.Disorder,so I was really surprised that it helped both problems equally.

netsavy006
01-25-07, 10:32 PM
Metadate was designed by nature to last between 8 and 12 hours. the ER was shorter. If you are not feeling the full effect it could be that your dosage may be too low. Or your body may have adjusted to ritalin and ritalin based drugs. My psychology professor mentioned that you need to switch around meds once in a while to avoid tolerance to them. This doesn't make since to me since you wouldn't want to change something thats working. But he's been in the field for 35+ years and me < 0. So I know he wins in that regards. But as always speak to the doctor.

Mohawk1984
12-31-07, 11:09 AM
MPH IR only works 2 hours for me, max. Sometimes 1.5 hours.

Mohawk1984
12-31-07, 11:11 AM
ps, sure you dont take to much?

Flips
09-23-08, 10:21 AM
Hello I am a brand new member here and I just happened upon this thread while researching Metadate. I have been dealing with my ADD since childhood. I am 26 and it's been about 13 years since I was last on medication. I have only very recently gone to see a psychiatrist and been prescribed Metadate.

It's been a few weeks now and I can confirm that I too feel the comedown from the drug. Currently I take 20mg at 7am and then 20mg after lunch. The whole idea of tacking on that second dosage is to carry me through my evening so I can go home after work and feel focused and energized enough to get stuff done. Unfortunately around 6 pm is right when the meds start to wear off. Yesterday I decided to go to the art store. As I was walking to the bus I realized that if I were to actually sit down on a bus (or anywhere) I would fall dead asleep. So I kept walking... it took about 30 minutes but i finally got to feeling normal again.

You are right in saying it doesn't last as long as they tell you it will. I am pretty sure a dosage only lasts me about 5 or 6 hours. I have only been doing this 40mg split for a few days so I want to keep at it for another two or three to make sure that's just how I am going to react.

On saturday (when i don't have work) I may try taking the whole 40 together and see how that works. I know you can't really gather a good assesment untill your body is used to the dosage. I think mostly I want to see if a 40mg dosage will last any longer than a 20mg. I sort of doubt it will but it's worth trying.

Flips
09-23-08, 03:49 PM
Today it seems as if I am crashing on the afternoon dosage after only 3.5 hrs. It's a weird tired feeling... i am sort of anxious but at the same time I just want to put my head down on this desk and go to sleep.

alchemda
12-20-08, 07:19 PM
I've been on 20mg's of Metadate Extended Release for about 2 weeks now. I take the pills in the morning at about 7:30, by about 3-4 PM I can definitely tell i'm coming off it, i get lethargic, sleepy, apathetic, anti-social, and overall just zombie like.

It almost feels like I have the flu when I come off it, get kinda achy and tired. This is the first time on meds since I was a child so this will definitely need some fine tuning from my doc.

The biggest letdown about my current regimen is that if I want to go to a party or something at night after work, i just cant. I feel like I would rather just lay in bed than do the normal things I would do.

I guess the good thing is I'm going to bed earlier than I used to so I'm getting more sleep. On the other hand the quality of my sleep seems pretty lousy because it's really hard to wake up in the morning and I'm super sleepy (more than normal).

aj373ku
03-24-09, 11:07 PM
I've been on 20mg's of Metadate Extended Release for about 2 weeks now. I take the pills in the morning at about 7:30, by about 3-4 PM I can definitely tell i'm coming off it, i get lethargic, sleepy, apathetic, anti-social, and overall just zombie like.

It almost feels like I have the flu when I come off it, get kinda achy and tired. This is the first time on meds since I was a child so this will definitely need some fine tuning from my doc.

The biggest letdown about my current regimen is that if I want to go to a party or something at night after work, i just cant. I feel like I would rather just lay in bed than do the normal things I would do.

I guess the good thing is I'm going to bed earlier than I used to so I'm getting more sleep. On the other hand the quality of my sleep seems pretty lousy because it's really hard to wake up in the morning and I'm super sleepy (more than normal).

I know this post is from back in December. I was wondering how you are doing now? Has you dose changed or are you on another medication?

sekaijuu
11-27-09, 01:03 PM
MPH IR only works 2 hours for me, max. Sometimes 1.5 hours.

So I'm not the only one then. By the time my Methylin 10-15mg kicks in, and by the time it's being ****ed out and leaving my bloodstream... I'm very lucky to see 2 hours, usually as you said... 1.5 hours.

I have/had been blaming it on my fast metabolism.

Would it be out of line to ask for additional doses? I'm only on one 10mg dose in the "am", and a 15mg in the "pm". But between school and my other obligations, only two doses that last less than 2 hrs is killing me.

lloydjv
12-03-09, 02:43 PM
I just got bumped up to 30mg per day. I am taking 20 in the moring and 10 afternoon. It does wear off fast and leaves me more or less in a dream state in between axious/focused and drowsy. I hope we can move to adderall soon.

VRocksMama
06-05-10, 01:26 PM
I have only been on Metadate 20 mg for about a week now, and it definitely helps me feel more level headed and not like my brain is going a million miles a minute, problem is it only lasts a few hours then I am yawning and feel tired. Is this normal? Should I be on a higher dosage? I tried taking two one day and it did the same thing. (took both at once)
My brother is on Adderall and he said the same thing happened to him on the Metadate. So he was switched first to Focalin then Adderall.

Also, the fact that the Metadate does not make me jittery or speedy is a good indicator that my diagnosis was correct, right?

Beccaliz
12-05-12, 10:58 PM
I'm an ADHDer, dxed at 10, i'll be 30 in 2 weeks. My oldest son (5.5yrs old) was dxed last week and put on Metadate CD 10 mg to be increased to 20mg after 1 wk if no change was seen.
Well, a HUGE change has occured, but when he comes down off the stuff, typically around 6 hrs after original dose, he becomes totally crazy! I messaged his doctor and she took a while to get back to me, so I tried giving him another dose as the 1st dose was wearing off and that works great. Honestly now i'm just worried about admitting that to the doctor... "you took so long to get back to me that I just did it". she said to see if the craziness wears off after 2 weeks.... she expects me to let my son, his little bro, and myself suffer for 2 weeks?! that sounds wrong to me. I guess it's easier to be "rational" about it when you're not the one stuck at home w/ the kid who is going crazy all day.