View Full Version : A Audiobook for neatness and cleaning

Foghat
09-29-06, 03:21 AM
Ok... I just want to say that I appreciate this part of the forum the most because it reinforces what I already knew was wrong. The fact that I'm a "Clutterer" is how I finally figured out that I'm ADD(inattentive if I'm right in my self diagnosis).

I've always been considered as lazy and "sloppy"... and many other things that aren't so nice, because of the way that I live. I hate to clean! Period!!:mad:

I've always known something was wrong with me because I couldn't focus on the things I needed to. My parents labeled me as lazy... and I really couldn't argue. I thought I was just lazy too.:confused: LOL... I have so much I want to say... so I'll start about how I found this forum and then I'll move on to how I think I can help you clean up your house:D.

Ok... as said before... I've been a lazy *** as long as I can remember... and my apartment/barracks/house has always been a mess. A few weeks ago(the day I joined the site)... I decided I had to figure out what was wrong with me. Don't get me wrong... I knew there was something wrong a long time ago... but that was the first time I made a conscious decision to search till I found something.

I had talked to a diabetic friend of mine before and described some of my foggy brain times... and he suggested I get my sugar levels checked. I did and mine were fine (yes, I was fasting)... that was about 3 years ago. A few weeks before I found the site, a co-worker mentioned something about a thyroid disorder he had... and how it affected his memory and his thought process. I immediately googled memory and thyroid... and I of course thought I was afflicted... but most of the symptoms didn't fit.

This got me thinking about my life and what was wrong with it. I was sitting in a room at a computer... and I was surrounded by CRAP. Empty soda cans, countless bills, envelopes, paper plates, cd (coasters), computer parts... etc.

So I happened to Google "Procrastination Sickness"... which led me to a site about "cluttering" and bipolar disorder. I read the symptoms and figured out that I was almost never depressed... which then led me to ADHD. I knew that my older brother was ADHD... with an emphasis on HYPER. So I searched several sites... and I think it was a delicious tag under ADHD forum.... that I found this site. Ok... you know how I found it.. Now I tell you the new coping(cleaning secret I've learned).

The other day (forgot which), I found this part of addforums and started reading stories like my own. I can't focus on cleaning for more than a few minutes at a time because I get ****ed off because I'm overwhelmed at how much I have to do. The time where I do clean for 10 or 15 minutes... My anxiety starts growing and I feel like I have to do it faster. When I try to speed up, I always end up tripping, or finding some kind of barrier in the way(Out of detergent when I'm trying to do laundry, no clean dish wrag when I want to clean the counters, batteries dead in the dust vac, you name it, it always happens when I'm in the ****ed off cleaning hypermode.... I can only stay cleaning for about 15 to 20 minutes... because I find something to get so ****ed off that it's like I have to get my mind on something else before I punch a hole in the wall...

When I'm in the mode... I'm of course moving around... so I can't do what I really want to do... which is usually to watch tv. Listening to tv really isn't the same... and actually ends up drawing me away from what I was trying hard to focus on. It's too easy to sit on the couch and watch the tv or in front of the computer.

Well... After reading some stories on this site... in this specific forum as well as others, I've figured out why I couldn't clean for more that 10 or 15 minutes before quitting. Why?

Because I was always in a hurry to get finished so I could rush back to entertainment... I am in constant need for mental stimulation, and cleaning obviously doesn't do it for me.:mad: BUT... having found this out, I also realized that if I could just occupy my mind WHILE I was cleaning, then I could do it at any pace. I thought about it about a week ago... but I didn't want to post on this subject untill I'd tried it... and so today I did! It worked like a charm!

When I was an OTR driver... I used to rent audiobooks to pass the time while I was on the road. It was nice to have something to look forward to when I woke up aside from coffee. I tried to time the book so I would finish my shift during an exciting part, just so I would have something to look forward to when I woke up.

Well... It kind of hit me the other day that entertainment was the major roadblock that was stopping me from cleaning my house. So... I checked out an audio book (Da Vinci Code) from my local library... and I started cleaning. In 10 minutes I was hooked!:D

I cleaned my living room for the next 3 hours... I took my time... I didn't hurry... I didn't focus on what I was doing. I didn't get mad. The living room got cleaned... the bathroom got cleaned... I took out 3 bags of trash... and sorted lots of mail. I put together an outdoor "chess table" that my wife bought on sale (75% off) 3 weeks earlier, that had been sitting in the living room for the entire time... and then I shreaded the styrophoam... and got rid of the boxes.

I mean the audio entertainment for me is a lifesaver. I'm not a musical guy. It just doesn't hold my attention. Listening to a song I've heard 15 or 100 times just doesn't make my day. Don't get me wrong... I like music... I just don't crave it. A good book though... It just draws me like a moth to a flame. If my wife weren't asleep right now, I'd have a load of laundry on... dishes, and be folding clothes right now. But I refuse to listen to the book when I'm not cleaning.

I still have to give complete credit to addforums for allowing me to figure out my short circuit. The one that made cleaning up impossible. Don't get me wrong, my house is far from clean:(. But, the living room and one bathroom are at least presentable... and I can't wait to get to chapter 14 in the book!:D

Oh... audiobooks can be downloaded and burned... from reputable sources of course.:D I'd never recommend downloading a torrent... that's illegal and should be regarded as such!

Anywhoo... hope this helps:eyebrow:

peridot
10-06-06, 07:12 PM
Oh, audio books rule. A group called the Teaching Company has a large selection of courses on tape (yeah, I know it's primitive, but I don't have a CD player) and CD's, and for me, who prefers non-fiction, they're also great.

You point out the main problem with audio books; one can't use them when there are other people around. But I find it easier to do things when there aren't other people around, anyway.

meadd823
10-12-06, 09:37 PM
See I do the forums and clean the two go together well for me because I can't sit very long so I do this then get tired of sitting do the dishes and then I am tired of those so I get back on the computer and so on.

I could never get used to books on tape even though I am dyslexia these things did not come out until after I had learned to compensate for it. I have excellent hearing and would hear every thing in the back ground which is distracting then I loose my place in the book rewind city!!!!!!!

Foghat
10-12-06, 10:02 PM
See I do the forums and clean the two go together well for me because I can't sit very long so I do this then get tired of sitting do the dishes and then I am tired of those so I get back on the computer and so on.

I could never get used to books on tape even though I am dyslexia these things did not come out until after I had learned to compensate for it. I have excellent hearing and would hear every thing in the back ground which is distracting then I loose my place in the book rewind city!!!!!!!Just gotta get an mp3 player with some noise canceling headphones.:D

slanted_mind
10-29-08, 10:38 PM
i read this long post... figured out that it is about me not you....wow. i think i should try a few audiobooks myself too maybe i'll decrease the clutter and my dad may feel happy up there.....

mADD mike
10-29-08, 10:54 PM
My wife and I have a cleaning business. To get through the day, we wear mp3 players at most houses, unless someone is home, as we don't want to be rude if they talk to us. For a long time, we listened to music, and we still do at times, but something more talk related helps a lot to pass the time.

Driven To Distraction and Delivered From Distraction are the only 2 books that I've ever "read" on ADD, and helped in my diagnosis. Both were purchased in mp3 format and listened to. I've thought about getting podcasts of talk shows I like too. It really helps a lot, and such talk is much more stimulating to my mind than music. However, sometimes you just have to have some really hard music to get you going, and I have plenty of that too.

JoyMcJackal
10-30-08, 06:55 AM
Audiobooks are a MUST.

Librivox has free downloads of classics from the Gutenburg Project.

http://librivox.org/newcatalog/