View Full Version : hey watsup im new

adhdkid39
09-30-06, 11:47 AM
i was diagnosed with adhd last year and my parents have been finding any way to get rid of it.. there like addicted to finding a way of gettig rid of it.. i dont even think my adhd is very high..?? but my parents just wont stop!! this was one of the sights my mom found and has been posting like crazy and i thuoght i might see what all the talk about this is. does anybody else have this problem with there parents like me?????

adhdkid39

speedo
09-30-06, 12:21 PM
It's kind of normal for fiends and family to want to "cure" you. The best way around it is to be patient and to educate them. Eventually they will realize that ADHD is treatable, but not curable.

One thing that might be helpful for you to do is to get tested for all of the "curable" things that can cause ADHD-like symptoms. Common things like sleep disorders, thyroid problems, diabetes, metal poisioning, rare food allergies, etc., can cause adhd-like symptoms and are sometimes treatiable such that the adhd either improves or goes away.

I've just learned that there are forms of epilepsy which can cause ADHD symptoms... 20% of people who have adhd also have some form of epilepsy....so the disorder is not always so simple as just having ADHD...

But, most of the time it IS just plain old ADHD. :p So, I guess we just have to live with it, and so do our loved ones.

It can take a long time to sort it all out. Do take the time to look into all of the things that can cause ADHD symptoms, as it could really pay off in terms of a big improvement. Be patient with your family, they are just trying to help. :)

Me :D

adhdkid39
09-30-06, 09:24 PM
hey speedo are you in the private chat line for teens????

Foghat
10-03-06, 08:58 AM
hey speedo are you in the private chat line for teens????Hmm... I believe he is if he tried to answer your question. If he didn't then who would? I also believe that this forum is meant to let people know that everyone is welcome to post... and to have their questions answered.

Just because someone isn't a teen anymore... doesn't mean they weren't at one time. We (adults) still remember being a teen... and how it was for us. Trust me... we understand more than you would think.

As to your first post... if your symptoms are very pronounced... they(your parents) may be looking for better ways to approach you and your "behavior".

Trust me... your parent's have your best interest in mind if they are trying to find out more about it. Just be happy that they don't just dismiss the idea that there is something mentally wrong with you. It could be much worse.

Heh.. My brother was dxed with ADHD when he was about 8yrs old. They put him on Rittalin for 3 years when my mother started hearing the opposition to "drugging your kids". So she experimented and tried one of his pills. Heh... she said it messed her up for almost 2 days... so she freaked out and made him stop taking the medication.

Little did she know that the medication was actually helping him. Now... My brother is a workaholic on his second wife... and I'm sure he could use treatment... but that was over 20 years ago... so what can I do now?

Just hope that your parents care enough to keep trying to "cure" your ADHD. The definition doesn't change the result. I'd happily change places with you... as I've been undiagnosed until the ripe age of 30(and waiting.. till the 10/12/06). I'd give anything to start over where you are now... and have the option of being treated for something that doctors didn't know existed then(ADD without hyperactivity).

Anyways... I hope you don't think I'm talking down to you... I'm just being wistfull about my youth. I still feel like I should be in my teens... and maybe that's why I am who I am. I'm probably more irresponsible than you are.

Anywhoo:D

adhdkid39
10-03-06, 07:56 PM
sorry if you thought i was saying to talk to only teens and no adults

i thought speedo was a teen and i kinda want to be on the private message boards for
teens and was wodering if he was on there(i dint know he was an adult)

thanks for the advice

livinginchaos
10-03-06, 11:08 PM
welcome adhdkid!

I just PM'd you about the Private Teen forum!

As for finding a cure . . that's not possible as of yet. But, there are ways to manage ADHD. I'm not a parent, but I'm sure yours just want what's best for you and they probably really dislike watching the effects ADHD has on you.

Hang in there!

Courtney